Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

FirstAidKite posted:

I only just now found out about the game The Skeletons and now I'm thinking about how much it'd slap to have a World of Darkness attempt at it. Skeletal the Ossified or Skeletal the Gaunt or Skeletal the Ostracized or something.

Isn't that basically Steve Lichman?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Storypath combat question: Can anyone look over this primer I wrote for my players to make sure I have stuff right. I'm most concerned with the defense rating. Everyone has a base defense of 1, but when attacked can roll a resistance attribute and use those successes to buy stunts, the most basic of which just makes it harder to hit you.

So if a character rolled 2 successes on defense and spent them both on defense, it would mean the attacker would need 3 successes before they could start buying stunts.

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21AP7qFFKlErTyCb8&cid=7FD44E0E332F5508&id=7FD44E0E332F5508%212087&parId=root&o=OneUp

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Does anybody here own most of Hunter: the Reckoning?

I'm trying to get confirmation that The Walking Dead and the Avenger and Defender books are slightly darker because they're just Like That and not because of sun damage on the two copies I know about. Does anybody have a data point to add to this?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

That sounds right but I have not looked at my physical copies in ages. Sun damage would probably make them lighter in any case.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Rand Brittain posted:

Does anybody here own most of Hunter: the Reckoning?

I'm trying to get confirmation that The Walking Dead and the Avenger and Defender books are slightly darker because they're just Like That and not because of sun damage on the two copies I know about. Does anybody have a data point to add to this?
I can grab mine and take some comparison shots, gimme some page #s or something and a good control

Off the top of my head, I remember Defender looking darker and/or having a terrible choice of font for sure

[Edit: Oh god I did a mental tally and the only lines I own all of are Hunter and Kindred of the East]

AmiYumi fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 8, 2021

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

AmiYumi posted:

I can grab mine and take some comparison shots, gimme some page #s or something and a good control

Off the top of my head, I remember Defender looking darker and/or having a terrible choice of font for sure

[Edit: Oh god I did a mental tally and the only lines I own all of are Hunter and Kindred of the East]

It's the orange on the covers I had in mind.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Rand Brittain posted:

It's the orange on the covers I had in mind.
Oh, well in that case I don’t even need to take them off the shelf to confirm you are right as hell:

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Eesh, the misalignment of the White Wolf credit and WW book number, and the inconsistency as to whether it's HUNTER Book:Thing, HUNTER Book: Thing, HUNTER-BOOK: THING, or HUNTERBOOK: THING

Plus the choice of font making it look like a shelf full of HUNYER books

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I've been working on collecting full sets of all the lines I like best, and now that I'm nearly done I'm having to face the question of whether I actually want to work on the much larger full sets of Vampire and Werewolf.

Wraith wins the "none of these dang books are the same size as any other book" award by far.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I Am Just a Box posted:

Eesh, the misalignment of the White Wolf credit and WW book number, and the inconsistency as to whether it's HUNTER Book:Thing, HUNTER Book: Thing, HUNTER-BOOK: THING, or HUNTERBOOK: THING
Bad as that is, it doesn’t even chart for the publisher that gave us the Changeling: The Dreaming spine art clusterfuck. :allears:

I Am Just a Box posted:

Plus the choice of font making it look like a shelf full of HUNYER books
…I might need to pull out those books after all, because that is the LEAST of the problems with Hunter’s font situation

Rand Brittain posted:

Wraith wins the "none of these dang books are the same size as any other book" award by far.
Some of the 1e VtM books won’t even fit on the shelf, they just went wild vertically AND horizontally

AmiYumi fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 9, 2021

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Rand Brittain posted:

I've been working on collecting full sets of all the lines I like best, and now that I'm nearly done I'm having to face the question of whether I actually want to work on the much larger full sets of Vampire and Werewolf.

You do not.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

AmiYumi posted:

Bad as that is, it doesn’t even chart for the publisher that gave us the Changeling: The Dreaming spine art clusterfuck. :allears:

…I might need to pull out those books after all, because that is the LEAST of the problems with Hunter’s font situation

Some of the 1e VtM books won’t even fit on the shelf, they just went wild vertically AND horizontally

1e VTM has some amazing cover art. I'm not sure which I love more, my storyteller guide with the crying vampire and burning motorcycle on the cover or my players handbook with Nancy from Nightmare on Elm Street with big 80's hair and fangs.

I might have mixed up which cover is which book but those are high on my list of "WTF?!" WW art. That and the Mage 1e screen which is so loving :krad: it hurts.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Loomer posted:

You do not.

OUR LORD HATH SPOKEN

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Hey Loomer, did the idea of a previous Bloodline of Ahrimanes exist before Dark Ages V20?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

MonsieurChoc posted:

Hey Loomer, did the idea of a previous Bloodline of Ahrimanes exist before Dark Ages V20?

Not as I recall, no - if it did, it was as the faintest kind of mention, and I don't think there's even that (and can't be bothered to check). It's one of the more interesting changes in V20 material, in part because it pissed off the chuds. That being said, I do faintly recall a fan theory linking the Ahrimanes to the Lhiannan, so the idea of there being some kind of earlier form was definitely around. Yaryan was floating around too, to complicate things.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Loomer posted:

Not as I recall, no - if it did, it was as the faintest kind of mention, and I don't think there's even that (and can't be bothered to check). It's one of the more interesting changes in V20 material, in part because it pissed off the chuds. That being said, I do faintly recall a fan theory linking the Ahrimanes to the Lhiannan, so the idea of there being some kind of earlier form was definitely around. Yaryan was floating around too, to complicate things.

Nah, there really wasn't anything of the Ahrimanes in the old days about them being around in the... well, old days. They've always been a weird little niche bloodline about whom not much was ever written and Revised did the "they all left or something i dunno."

What's their V20 shtick?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Dawgstar posted:

Nah, there really wasn't anything of the Ahrimanes in the old days about them being around in the... well, old days. They've always been a weird little niche bloodline about whom not much was ever written and Revised did the "they all left or something i dunno."

What's their V20 shtick?

Regular V20, nothing special. DA:V20, Viking Women Who Demand Justice and Refuse Hierarchy. Trans-inclusive ones, which is what got the chuds into a frenzy to my enormous amusement.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Loomer posted:

Regular V20, nothing special. DA:V20, Viking Women Who Demand Justice and Refuse Hierarchy. Trans-inclusive ones, which is what got the chuds into a frenzy to my enormous amusement.

That's some serious :black101:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Yeah, the old-school Ahrimanes own, unlike the modern Sabbat Ahrimanes who are just kind of there.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

So I've decided to take on the dumb project of reading and reviewing old WoD books for shits and giggles.

I'm trying to focus on the games I'm less familar with (basically everything other than Masquerade) to start, but I'm not sure if the "A World of Darkness" books (technically VtM books) would be a good place to start this dumb project or if I should just grab a 1e core book of something and start there.

The plan is to turn the reviews into deep dive podcast reviews of the books so I'm thinking that those might be a solid introduction to the setting and then jumping into 1e core books from there.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Sicko mode is obviously going by spine numbers starting from the lowest. Hyper-sicko mode is going chronologically by release date regardless of line (this feels Loomer-adjacent, so, be careful about the forces you invoke here).

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Sicko mode is obviously going by spine numbers starting from the lowest. Hyper-sicko mode is going chronologically by release date regardless of line (this feels Loomer-adjacent, so, be careful about the forces you invoke here).

Oh lord no I'm definitely not doing print order. Mostly because Masquerade was the first out and as I said, I'm more familiar with that than the other oWoD lines.

I'm tempted to wait for my Ascension 1e book to arrive and start there because all I know about that game is that is a mess of a line. I'll also be jumping around to various books/lines as I go because there are definitely some stinkers I want to subject myself at some point. Like "Gypsies" :doit:

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Some of the "general" books seem like they would be great starting points, just because they contain material of interest to fans of multiple lines, and they can get pretty wild, but also they're relatively short so it can't turn into too much of a slog.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 10, 2021

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I try to think about the most racist thing the WoD has ever put out, and it's real hard to narrow down, but it's probably Gypsies. You don't even get out of the loving introduction before it literally gives a "They're no angels" statement about the Roma in the real world and how some of them would be totally willing to oppress people if they had the chance. Like Jesus Christ guy, give it a minute to breathe before we go all in. We aren't even at Chapter One yet!

The worst part is probably the fact the myth they came up with has nothing to do with the Roma, so they actively had to swerve this bus 6 lanes to throw the Roma under it. They really worked to build this narrative of racism together, because it certainly doesn't naturally. It's not like the casual entitled racism of "This is the Irish tribe and they are boisterous and party a lot and have ties to the fae!". This just feels....different somehow.

e: Also their power stat instinctively makes people racist. I remember that too, because...yeah.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 10, 2021

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Mulva posted:

I try to think about the most racist thing the WoD has ever put out, and it's real hard to narrow down, but it's probably Gypsies. You don't even get out of the loving introduction before it literally gives a "They're no angels" statement about the Roma in the real world and how some of them would be totally willing to oppress people if they had the chance. Like Jesus Christ guy, give it a minute to breathe before we go all in. We aren't even at Chapter One yet!

The worst part is probably the fact the myth they came up with has nothing to do with the Roma, so they actively had to serve this bus 6 lanes to throw the Roma under it. They really worked to build this narrative of racism together, because it certainly doesn't naturally. It's not like the casual entitled racism of "This is the Irish tribe and they are boisterous and party a lot and have ties to the fae!". This just feels....different somehow.

e: Also their power stat instinctively makes people racist. I remember that too, because...yeah.

I agree that Gypsies is likely the single most racist book WW released, the lead art for Hong Kong in the 1e WoD source book is......really bad. https://m.imgur.com/a/msNATCZ I mean just look at this poo poo.

That Old Tree posted:

Some of the "general" books seem like they would be great starting points, just because they contain material of interest to fans of multiple lines, and they can get pretty wild, but also they're relatively short so it can't turn into too much of a slog.

Yup that's what I've settled on, starting with the 1st and 2nd edition "A World of Darkness" books. Other than the horribly racist photo above, 1st ed isn't awful, the opening 40 odd pages are all about the UK and it's fine if a bit dry history lesson for a role playing book. Also I haven't actually touched on anything supernatural for the UK in what I've read yet, it's been nothing but history and some topography notes which....thanks white wolf? They literally point out that you should go read a travel guide or actual history book about the UK and then spend several pages summarizing that information because page count I assume.

joylessdivision fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 10, 2021

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

joylessdivision posted:

I agree that Gypsies is likely the single most racist book WW released, the lead art for Hong Kong in the 1e WoD source book is......really bad. https://m.imgur.com/a/msNATCZ I mean just look at this poo poo.
If we’re talking art, a lot of the KotE art is hella racist. The core book is so rife with it that Asians Represent started a readthrough, spent the entire first episode on the introduction, and haven’t done a second one.

joylessdivision posted:

Yup that's what I've settled on, starting with the 1st and 2nd edition "A World of Darkness" books. Other than the horribly racist photo above, 1st ed isn't awful, the opening 40 odd pages are all about the UK and it's fine if a bit dry history lesson for a role playing book. Also I haven't actually touched on anything supernatural for the UK in what I've read yet, it's been nothing but history and some topography notes which....thanks white wolf? They literally point out that you should go read a travel guide or actual history book about the UK and then spend several pages summarizing that information because page count I assume.
2E is kinda joyless, but 1E has some batshit stuff never mentioned again in the gameline, like supernatural vampire-hating cats.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

AmiYumi posted:

If we’re talking art, a lot of the KotE art is hella racist. The core book is so rife with it that Asians Represent started a readthrough, spent the entire first episode on the introduction, and haven’t done a second one.

2E is kinda joyless, but 1E has some batshit stuff never mentioned again in the gameline, like supernatural vampire-hating cats.

Oh god I have the KOTE corebook. It's definitely on the list for review because :staredog:

I'm a bit farther into 1e now, and most of the UK stuff is kinda eh, even when the Vampires get tossed in. Turns out the loving Tremere are probably behind most bad things that happened in the UK which is hilarious.

Also there is a Nosferatu in Paris, named Erik. Can you guess where he lives? He's so far my favorite thing in this book :3:

Also lol all the European Kindred apparently hate the Giovanni. Less lol was a mention of the Ravnos and how they're theives, and also any time the Assasamites have been mentioned it's had some gross "Eeew, Muslims" vibes. Also apparently the Assasamites did a terrorism in 85 in Vienna, which Google tells me was a real thing that actually happened.

:geno: White Wolf! :geno:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
My guess is the Rue d’Auseil for Erik.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

You know, I'm kinda surprised they didn't just pull on the plot thread from Time of Judgement of more people getting second sight like a hunter and being able to identify monsters for what led to the 2nd Inquisotion. It would tie in to the whole end of the world petering out thing. More people than ever can see the monsters on the world, but the messengers pulled out so there aren't really imbued anymore to do anything.

Like, obviously don't outright say it, but imply it. Feels like that could have been a better way to handle it. This of course also leads into into a new edition of Hunter later on when the messengers notice the world kind of DIDN'T end.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Arivia posted:

Same.

AmiYumi posted:

Sounds "interesting", can I have a link?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Arivia posted:

It's the Paris Opera house.

He's a Nosferatu. Named Erik.

Under the Paris Opera

:3: he's the actual Phantom of the Opera with a line about the local Toredor community admitting he does have a lovely singing voice :allears:

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
It's stuff like that that makes the oWoD continue to have its hook for me. There's a lot that's dumb or hella hosed in the racism/sexism/transphobia scale, but in the mix are these nuggets of goofy gold like 'the phantom of the opera is real and cool and my friend' and 'GURPS is a tool of the weaver'.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

joylessdivision posted:

It's the Paris Opera house.

He's a Nosferatu. Named Erik.

Under the Paris Opera

:3: he's the actual Phantom of the Opera with a line about the local Toredor community admitting he does have a lovely singing voice :allears:

Honestly that’s even better than a Lovecraft reference.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I've been running a D&D game for a group of young adults (18-25ish) with depression/anxiety/whatever, set up by their group therapist to help them socialize. A few of them dropped out, and now we're down to three, and they've asked me to run Vampire. I'm going to do Requiem 2e. I'm pretty familiar with it but I haven't really run it before. What are some good resources for setting up a chronicle? Are there any published adventures that are good for new players and also, well, good?

Also, I'm planning to start them as mortals and have them embraced in the first session. I'm having a little trouble thinking of reasons three people would be turned at once, probably by three different clans. I'm thinking someone looking to turn them loose to make trouble and misdirect attention away from something else. Does the thread have any other ideas?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

joylessdivision posted:

Oh god I have the KOTE corebook. It's definitely on the list for review because :staredog:

I'm a bit farther into 1e now, and most of the UK stuff is kinda eh, even when the Vampires get tossed in. Turns out the loving Tremere are probably behind most bad things that happened in the UK which is hilarious.

Also there is a Nosferatu in Paris, named Erik. Can you guess where he lives? He's so far my favorite thing in this book :3:

Also lol all the European Kindred apparently hate the Giovanni. Less lol was a mention of the Ravnos and how they're theives, and also any time the Assasamites have been mentioned it's had some gross "Eeew, Muslims" vibes. Also apparently the Assasamites did a terrorism in 85 in Vienna, which Google tells me was a real thing that actually happened.

:geno: White Wolf! :geno:

I wonder where Swedish Dracula got his ideas anyway... :iiam:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
An existing coiterie that hosed up big time and needs to throw suspicion off their trail and a group of 3 fresh neonates are exactly the right kind of stupid to kill a priest and leave his body to be found messily in a subway station.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

It’s very rote but my favorite oWoD lore is still that Dracula is real, he’s a rogue tzimisce who forcibly got himself embraced for kicks, and the novel Dracula was part of his ongoing centuries-long campaign to troll the the greater vampire community for, as far as anyone can tell, no reason whatsoever

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

It’s very rote but my favorite oWoD lore is still that Dracula is real, he’s a rogue tzimisce who forcibly got himself embraced for kicks, and the novel Dracula was part of his ongoing centuries-long campaign to troll the the greater vampire community for, as far as anyone can tell, no reason whatsoever

Hey he's got nothing better to do so why not? Seems like trolling the Jyhad is a much better use of one's time.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

You know he absolutely wears the cape and tux and plays up the accent on purpose whenever other kindred are around, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

You know he absolutely wears the cape and tux and plays up the accent on purpose whenever other kindred are around, too.

There's also a Malkavian in LA who believes he's Dracula (he may or may not be Lugosi) and he's right behind Erik up there as "Best side character in WoD"