Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Laws that need to be passed to make retail less miserable:

-no price matching
-no coupons
-get rid of nickles and dimes.
-all prices on products include tax, bottle deposits, etc. The price on the shelf is the price it rings up at the till.
-legal right to murder anyone who makes the "oh it must be free" joke when something doesn't scan.
-all employees are part of a profit share, as calculated by hours worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
MB charging deposits without the ability to redeem them is legalized robbery

Demon_Corsair posted:

You must not buy vegetables. They have some of the worst quality produce out there.

I actually see a lot of local stuff that I don't see at the bigger chains, particularly in the summer. Though part of that is how far the supply chain they themselves have slipped down, we are either on a lower priority tier or there is literally not enough good quality food to go around anymore

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
ya’ll still got those president’s choice chocolate chunk cookies up there?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
yes

though I'd rather eat this chocolate chip cookie dough I made with pc semisweet chocolate chips

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!
Honestly, ordering groceries online is easy, and oftentimes free if you pick it up yourself.

I've been doing the Walmart online grocery shopping thing for over a year because my toddler is a huge rear end in a top hat and won't listen for poo poo. I just keep adding things to the list all week, checkout online when it's time to get groceries, drive to Walmart, they load up my groceries into my car, then I drive home. Takes all of 5 minutes, excluding the driving time.

It's almost criminally convenient, and I don't think I'm going back after the pandemic is "over".

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I do online sometimes though there’s always a struggle with the produce they pick out but I’m not going to give them poo poo as they’re probably overworked as hell

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Fashionable Jorts posted:

-all prices on products include tax, bottle deposits, etc. The price on the shelf is the price it rings up at the till.
-legal right to murder anyone who makes the "oh it must be free" joke when something doesn't scan.
-all employees are part of a profit share, as calculated by hours worked.

I agree with these points particularly, but I will say grocery stores in Canada, as far as I know, all have a policy of making almost every employee part-time no matter what because it exempts them from having to give out dental or medical, so the profit-share would probably be tweaked to be as evil as possible.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

cash crab posted:

I agree with these points particularly, but I will say grocery stores in Canada, as far as I know, all have a policy of making almost every employee part-time no matter what because it exempts them from having to give out dental or medical, so the profit-share would probably be tweaked to be as evil as possible.

Oh yeah, every place requires you to be full time to get benefits, and they'll schedule you half an hour less every week than is needed to qualify as full time.

That would be another law, no full time or part time titles. Everyone is an employee.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Laws that need to be passed to make retail less miserable:

-no price matching
-no coupons

What. No gently caress off

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
When cashiers have to argue with customers trying to stack 50 coupons at their till and half of them are expired, don't apply and are being insufferable assholes, it makes being a cashier poo poo.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Honestly, ordering groceries online is easy, and oftentimes free if you pick it up yourself.

I've been doing the Walmart online grocery shopping thing for over a year because my toddler is a huge rear end in a top hat and won't listen for poo poo. I just keep adding things to the list all week, checkout online when it's time to get groceries, drive to Walmart, they load up my groceries into my car, then I drive home. Takes all of 5 minutes, excluding the driving time.

It's almost criminally convenient, and I don't think I'm going back after the pandemic is "over".

i do the same thing at no-frills

theres no way im going back to spending a loving hour in no frills with their two checkouts and fentynal addicts with cartfuls of popsicles on cheque day

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
we don't need a bunch of bullshit rules to make work less lovely. the vampire corporations will just half-rear end implementing them anyway.

just give people a guaranteed minimum income, then raise the minimum wage to $30/h and pay people to deal with the bullshit. any job that isn't worth paying $30/h will stop existing so we wont have to regulate it

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

Rutibex posted:

we don't need a bunch of bullshit rules to make work less lovely. the vampire corporations will just half-rear end implementing them anyway.

just give people a guaranteed minimum income, then raise the minimum wage to $30/h and pay people to deal with the bullshit. any job that isn't worth paying $30/h will stop existing so we wont have to regulate it

Can't wait to be having my 17th siesta of the day because there's never any jobs

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Terror Sweat posted:

What. No gently caress off

never worked at a grocery store eh?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
30k/year UBI regardless of employment status and make it a protected act for retail workers to tell customers to eat poo poo and gently caress off forever

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
every service worker should be allowed one murder per year at their discretion

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Seriously though I'm so glad to have escaped sobeys, that company was sucking my life force away. I worked there ten years, at the end of my time there I was making minimun wage, I started $2 over minimum. There was never any recognition for doing a good job, I even won a value champion award (a regoionally based employee of the year award) and it came with zero actual rewards. Less than a year ago I moved to BC and started working at a new company, inside a year I've gotten 2 promotions and a raise, going from an entry level position to a middle management position overseeing operations at multiple locations.

Like even from an profitablity perspective I was clearly capable of doing way more for sobeys, but it's such a unrewarding place to work. That was so ingrained into the corporate culture that there was no means to even recognize good work that was being done at the store level.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I think getting rid of that forced friendliness that you have to do as a service worker would go a long way towards fixing a lot of poo poo (but not fixing the "this store employs five hundred part timers and three full timers" or "this job doesn't pay enough to live on")

edit:

Virtual Russian posted:

Seriously though I'm so glad to have escaped sobeys, that company was sucking my life force away. I worked there ten years, at the end of my time there I was making minimun wage, I started $2 over minimum. There was never any recognition for doing a good job, I even won a value champion award (a regoionally based employee of the year award) and it came with zero actual rewards. Less than a year ago I moved to BC and started working at a new company, inside a year I've gotten 2 promotions and a raise, going from an entry level position to a middle management position overseeing operations at multiple locations.

Like even from an profitablity perspective I was clearly capable of doing way more for sobeys, but it's such a unrewarding place to work. That was so ingrained into the corporate culture that there was no means to even recognize good work that was being done at the store level.

if sobeys is anything like the grocery stores i've worked for in the past, the only hard work recognition you can get is a lovely supervisor gig where you still get abused by your dozen or so bosses except now you're salaried and working insane unpaid overtime, and by hard work recognition I mean "brown nosing recognition" because generally those sorts of stores will just keep dumping more responsibilities on the actual hard working labour until they burn out and quit while supervision and management bitch about retention issues

blatman has issued a correction as of 20:31 on Jul 10, 2021

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

redbrouw posted:

Can't wait to be having my 17th siesta of the day because there's never any jobs

good. working all the time is bullshit. we clearly aren't building anything important as a society so why should we bust out asses all the time. lets just take it easy

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

The stories of "Oh the post office/DMV(lolmerica jargon)/hydro office is so miserable to deal with" are entirely whingy fuckbuckets pissed that the employees can effectively tell them off and they are too mad to even comprehend it.

Getting rid of that would make retail less poo poo, but I'd still never go back from just doing labor work cause people are poo poo and being around them is something I'll avoid the rest of my life.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

“the ultimate, hidden truth of the world is that it is something that we make, and could just as easily make differently.”

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Rutibex posted:

True. Actual universal healthcare and not this half-assed crap we have here in Canada, and a high wage will make any job worth it.

But until then, being allowed to tell people who want to price match forty different cans of peas that are one cent cheaper down the street to gently caress off would be a blessing and a boost to morale.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Actually no, I take that back. Abolish the minimum wage. Do whatever.

30k/year UBI for everyone. Make these fuckers bend over backwards to get employees under their roof.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I would say the technology should be there for automatic price matching, but this is Canada, and they would all be matching to the highest price not the lowest, and then just eat their 0.008% of illicit profits fine down the road.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Powershift posted:

I would say the technology should be there for automatic price matching, but this is Canada, and they would all be matching to the highest price not the lowest, and then just eat their 0.008% of illicit profits fine down the road.

Most places struggle to track their own inventory and prices during sales, I'm sure adding interconnectivity of this nature would cause grocery stores to have a country-wide system failure that could never be repaired.

Fashionable Jorts has issued a correction as of 21:16 on Jul 10, 2021

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Most places struggle to track their own inventory and prices during sales, I'm sure adding interconnectivity of this nature would cause grocery stores would cause a country-wide system failure that could never be repaired.

Oh no, how awful! Now we have to nationalize all the grocery stores.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Most places struggle to track their own inventory and prices during sales, I'm sure adding interconnectivity of this nature would cause grocery stores would cause a country-wide system failure that could never be repaired.

Stocktrack can scrape a poo poo ton of stores for prices and inventories.

It seems more of a "don't want to" than a "can't"

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

prom candy posted:

every service worker should be allowed one murder per year at their discretion

This and whether or not you used up your murder for the year is confidential.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Actually no, I take that back. Abolish the minimum wage. Do whatever.

30k/year UBI for everyone. Make these fuckers bend over backwards to get employees under their roof.

Kazinsal posted:

Oh no, how awful! Now we have to nationalize all the grocery stores.

Lotta good ideas ITT today

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

EvilJoven posted:

And if you don't use up your quota in one calendar year it should just continuously add up imo

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Most places struggle to track their own inventory and prices during sales, I'm sure adding interconnectivity of this nature would cause grocery stores to have a country-wide system failure that could never be repaired.

Oh, so I guess its all free, huh?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
shaw still hasn't knocked the non-return fee off my balance despite mailing it back to them like, two weeks ago

eat poo poo and die shaw

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Chillyrabbit posted:

When cashiers have to argue with customers trying to stack 50 coupons at their till and half of them are expired, don't apply and are being insufferable assholes, it makes being a cashier poo poo.

So don't argue, tell the customer to gently caress off, and if the manager overrides you, you get a thousand dollars.

I've handed money to people who were holding up the line arguing over a coupon before.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

EvilJoven posted:

oh absolutely. the point is you want to think twice about whether this barista wants to use their murder on you before you start causing trouble. are they gonna use it if you politely try to get a problem fixed? I doubt it. but if you're a prick about it? maybe!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

prom candy posted:

oh absolutely. the point is you want to think twice about whether this barista wants to use their murder on you before you start causing trouble. are they gonna use it if you politely try to get a problem fixed? I doubt it. but if you're a prick about it? maybe!

I always check for obvious blood spatter on the apron, makes it more likely they have spent their annual murder allotment already

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
the purge: corporate wage slave edition

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
every time I go to SuperValu I check for the key lime cookies that they stopped making like 20 years ago :smith:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
tax Methanar at 87.5% and he could provide 50k ubi for 7 people for a year

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
it’s been years and I’m still not being able to just walk past cops while baked out of my gourd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Kazinsal posted:

it’s been years and I’m still not being able to just walk past cops while baked out of my gourd

makes me laugh tbqh