Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

Flipperwaldt posted:

Start button > game collection settings > systems displayed
Make sure Playstation is checked

It is, still nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

How do you have them organized on your SD card?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

what format are they in? by default i think it only picks up cue files

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

Weedle posted:

what format are they in? by default i think it only picks up cue files

This is probably it. They're all .bin files. I'll see if I can find a cue file and see what happens.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

hamsystem posted:

This is probably it. They're all .bin files. I'll see if I can find a cue file and see what happens.

You can change the settings for which files types are shown. Per system config section maybe.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

CFox posted:

You can change the settings for which files types are shown. Per system config section maybe.

I have 100% done this. I had the opposite problem where too many file types were showing.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

In 351elec, is it possible to have the left stick show up as analog in playstation games instead of it just duplicating the d-pad? GT2 insists no analog controller is available. Also only one memory card is emulated for some reason, which seems silly, even though that's easily bypassed with the emulator's save slots.

I've been digging through the settings in retro arch, but I can't get it to work. Often I have to reset the device because some controller settings don't allow me to navigate the menus anymore.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

CFox posted:

This did it, thanks!

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Flipperwaldt posted:

I've been digging through the settings in retro arch, but I can't get it to work. Often I have to reset the device because some controller settings don't allow me to navigate the menus anymore.

RetroArch makes this really confusing, and if you're not familiar with it it's really unintuitive. There's a couple different 'layers' of settings, global and core-specific. It sounds like you were messing with the RetroArch global layer input settings - the ones you get to if you open up the quick menu within a game and then 'back out' of it and go into settings. I don't think there's any other way you could've broken menu navigation.

When you open the menu from within a game, it opens in what for some reason it calls the "Quick Menu", which actually contains all the core-specifc settings. You usually want to stay in the quick menu, and NOT back out of it and mess with global settings unless you're sure what you're doing.

In the quick menu, there's a setting for "Options". This contains every option that the emulator core itself exposes to retroarch, basically everything that would be specific to that particular emulator. The first option, "Manage Core Options", is where you go to switch these options to per-game. If you don't touch that, changing any option will change it for that emulator as a whole, regardless of what you're playing. If you choose "Save Game Options" in there, all these options will now only be set for that particular game. Every Playstation emulator has a 'second memory card' option somewhere in its options. I suggest turning this on first so it's enabled globally, before using the "Save Game Options" setting. Some Playstation emulators have its pad 1 type here also, but I think psx-rearmed is the 351elec default, and that one doesn't.

Also in the quick menu, there's a setting for "Controls". This is where you map RetroArch's global inputs to the emulator-specific inputs. Go into Controls, then Port 1 Controls. The first option here is "device type". For psx-rearmed, this lets you choose between "standard" (no analog), dualshock, and a several other things I've never used. If you want the analog stick to work, choose dualshock, so it will emulate a dualshock controller. Back out and just below "device type" is "Analog to Digital Type". Set that to "none". This is what's causing the analog stick to mimic d-pad buttons. You can then look over the button mapping if you want, but you shouldn't need to change anything. Just back out, then choose "Save Game Remap File" in that controls menu. Now these settings will stay every time you run that game. You can also "Save Core Remap File" if you want, but be warned that not all games support dualshock, so if you do that some games might not receive input until you go back in and change it back to "standard".

Edit - it makes more sense to think of the global input settings as a different layer rather than a different scope.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 11, 2021

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

OMG I could metaphorically kiss you! Yeah, I kept bouncing myself out of that quick menu because everything seemed to be a level up, when I should have gone a level down. It all works, excellent level of detail on what saves to do, 10/10 thank you so much. This may help me to set up dosbox key mappings a bit better as well.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Looks like the Trimui got improved and price dropped, which makes it competitive for an ultra tiny ultra slim portable in the $50~ category

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sifOcAqpQg8

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

300X has been announced

https://youtu.be/OnzulSjyUZg

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Ok that looks almost exactly like the existing GPM280 (itself an oversized gameboy micro design), right down to that weirdly shaped button layout

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjqn5CqsBS0

Looks like they could be reusing the shell and adding their signature staggered shoulder buttons, a second speaker, plus swapping out the innards for something cheaper than a Rasberry Pi Compute Module 3? Actually considering the size and model number, this probably has their old dual core chipset in it (RG350m/p, 280m/v, etc.) which is really old at this point but I'm sure they've got a billion of them sitting in storage.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 12, 2021

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

The United States posted:

Looks like the Trimui got improved and price dropped, which makes it competitive for an ultra tiny ultra slim portable in the $50~ category

The community support on the Trimui/Powkiddy A66 has really made it into a great device at its size and price, at least for me. The launchers and extra emus and ports improved my overall experience significantly. I've been using an A66 with the Minui launcher for a couple months, I've really enjoyed the good clicky buttons and being able to so easily slip it into a pocket.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Is there a good, cheap Saturn/Dreamcast machine? Or am I better off sourcing a cheap Saturn?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Tons of stuff can play dreamcast, but you need a lot of power to emulate Saturn because the original hardware is so weird

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
A Raspberry Pi can do almost everything DC (lots 100%, but most things playable), a few things will struggle but its pretty good.

2D Saturn stuff is usually pretty easy but anything with 3D is a effort in powerful hardware and playing with emulator settings.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

That sucks. I'm not sure if I want to source a Saturn and a CD burner for the couple of games I want to play. Does anyone have any good resources for Saturn CFW/hacking? Maybe I could do something fun with the box to make it worth considering.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i might actually get one of these now. i love the look but the initial reviews made the software experience sound terrible

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Walla posted:

Is there a good, cheap Saturn/Dreamcast machine? Or am I better off sourcing a cheap Saturn?
There are no cheap retro console portable Saturn machines, it still requires a real PC or a medium to high end Android device, here's a 2 year old top end Android Tablet (Snapdragon 855) running Sega Rally:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um-qveVDIi0&t=477s

And here's a real intel xeon-based linux mini pc running a bunch of Saturn games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIwg6q_2owc

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

After like a couple years of paying attention to this scene but not actually buying anything this video is what pushed me over the edge. Looks like my ideal balance of price, capabilities, and form factor/aesthetics. Looking forward to it showing up.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
If you want used 845 855 hardware to play emulation, IME the cheapest are used LG phones.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I've had this for a bit over a week and yeah, the early reviews really don't convey how good it is now. It's still a small, cheap, weak device, but it's amazing for handheld games up through the GBA and it absolutely disappears in a pocket.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sethsez posted:

I've had this for a bit over a week and yeah, the early reviews really don't convey how good it is now. It's still a small, cheap, weak device, but it's amazing for handheld games up through the GBA and it absolutely disappears in a pocket.

If it did SNES perfectly I'd be 100% on board with it.

Maybe if they do another revision I'll get it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

That little guy actually looks pretty cool

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
That RetroDodo guy sucks. He copy and pasted other articles without actually reading them and does tons of click bait.

Russ with RetroGameCorps all the way!

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I love how the first line of that article is "ANBERNIC are struggling to find their mojo recently" when their most recent release is the RG351V which by all accounts has been a big success, and when the last two generations of devices have essentially been defined by Anbernic releases.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

sethsez posted:

I love how the first line of that article is "ANBERNIC are struggling to find their mojo recently" when their most recent release is the RG351V which by all accounts has been a big success, and when the last two generations of devices have essentially been defined by Anbernic releases.

I'm not a fan of the retro-fam aesthetic or the staggered buttons but this looks like another great console, doubly so if it sells well under 100.

Anbernic is the first of these companies to get a shred of loyalty from me. If I upgrade I'm looking at them first, not RetroDodo.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Disappointing Pie posted:

That RetroDodo guy sucks. He copy and pasted other articles without actually reading them and does tons of click bait.

I made a long effortpost maybe two months ago about how almost every big YouTuber who does retro videos is just, like, really bad at them. I gave up on it though, it didn’t seem worth it to post. A lot don’t try to understand how the things work. Retro Dodo seemingly just plugs it in and plays a game and that’s it. He’ll read someone else’s synopsis and just say that’s why it’s good or why it’s bad etc. Even Wulff Den when Nintendo stuff is slow will cover them and he doesn’t really do any deep diving at all. It’s just “this game doesn’t work at all, so the thing is bad.”

I also kinda hate when people say “if I’m paying for it, it should just work out of the box” when these things, the whole idea of them, is that they may involve some tinkering *at best*

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

LODGE NORTH posted:

I also kinda hate when people say “if I’m paying for it, it should just work out of the box” when these things, the whole idea of them, is that they may involve some tinkering *at best*

I agree with the rest, but I think it's fair to say the majority of these that get sold are run on their stock firmware with the included games. Hobbyists have certainly made them take off in the last couple years, but their primary markets are still mainland China, people impulse shopping for a cheap and simple way to play some retro games, and people looking for a gift.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Thinking about picking up one of these handhelds and getting into it as a hobby, and I'm debating between the RG351V or the RG351P right now. The GBA is my favorite console but I'm leaning towards the V a bit more since I think I'm mostly just gonna use it as a pocket romhack machine and that means mostly sticking to the 240p consoles, and honestly the Game Boy Pocket shape is super appealing to me.

Is there any hint recently as to when the next generation comes out though? The idea of a potential full-speed Sonic Adventure 2 in my pocket is super appealing to me so I want to see if Dreamcast emulation makes a jump up.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

LODGE NORTH posted:

I made a long effortpost maybe two months ago about how almost every big YouTuber who does retro videos is just, like, really bad at them.
Retro Core is both ironically and unironically the best retro YouTuber.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

This guy is pretty good honestly.

https://youtu.be/LjasSMrrQn0

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Disappointing Pie posted:

Yeah but I have watched too many of his videos now I am sick of his openning Jingle.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

stephenthinkpad posted:

Yeah but I have watched too many of his videos now I am sick of his openning Jingle.

doot doot doot
DOOT DOOT DOOT
dee doo dee doo DEE DOO DEE DOO

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I like the cat breaks so my old idiot brain can also take one.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The secret best retro Youtuber is Odd Tinkering, but they don't review third party retro consoles

The Retro Future is fun for comedy coverage of weird oddities like that iphone gameboy cartridge player

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
This is my retro jam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSsm4g3kNIA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Well that's a half-drunk impulse buy. I've accumulated a number of "real" handhelds that will play whatever, but they're too big to actually carry around. This looks nicely pocket sized, I just hope the screen isn't too small for my ageing eyes.