Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I figured out how to make custom playlists, it just involves editing an xml file. I made one that has every mission through all 6 games, more or less chronologically. I weaved some halo 2 and odst missions together, can't remember what skulls I put on each mission, but it was all on legendary. I never actually played it because I was waiting for more mods to come out,I hope the patches haven't borked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Great Beer posted:

I decided to try to do the master chief playlist and noticed something. Halo 1 has a lot of minor changes on normal. For example pillar of autumn has a route blocked by a door that Cortana tells you to punch open, a mechanic that isn't ever used again. Some of the exits in the Not Jeffries Tubes section are locked forcing you to go the long way. Truth and Reconciliation calls out a grunt running towards a turret, a feature that is also never used again.

The Pillar of Autumn stuff is just the tutorial (hence the prompts). The turret Grunt thing I'm pretty sure happens on every difficulty, provided there's a Grunt to run for a turret by the time you're spotted.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
Its probably also the remains of gameplay elements that eventually got cut in the effort to finish the game.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
There's also an Elite you encounter on the way to the bridge in Pillar of Autumn that only appears on Easy and Normal. A squad of Marines drives it away.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

lmao what do you mean the custom game browser is up but pc file sharing isn't

How

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

OhFunny posted:

There's also an Elite you encounter on the way to the bridge in Pillar of Autumn that only appears on Easy and Normal. A squad of Marines drives it away.

Oh right isn't that the one that gets a scare chord as he roars at you?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

OhFunny posted:

Aaaaaaaawugablugh!!!

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

General Battuta posted:

Aaaaaaaawugablugh!!!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I got a Halo Infinite branded toy yesterday with some special looking Elite. I look forward to fighting him 9+ times throughout the campaign with increasing frequency.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vi_GSwCVKM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eFILBEn4I0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAhUpXEV-H0&t=911s

in case you ever wanted to know how many grunts there are, I guess

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I finished Halo 4. I had only played it once before.

The stuff between Master Chief and Cortana is better then I remember it being. Her degradation into rampancy and struggle to hold fast against it hit me harder this second time around. Maybe because I have just played the games back-to-back instead of years apart and held more attachment to the character. Maybe because it reminds me of my grandmother's struggle and death from Alzheimer's.

The rest of story isn't that good. The Forerunner guy comes outta nowhere. I can see they were going for some kind of parallel between him and Chief. Two soldiers awaking from a long slumber with unbreakable wills and opposing goals. They brought him in to early however and just dumped a ton of background in a cutscene with his wife. Then he dies in a button press cutscene. This is a living Forerunner! That's a huge deal! I feel it would have been better pacing to fight those Covenant remnants for most of the game with hints and foreshadowing of his presence before he awakens. Have him survive to be the main antagonist of the trilogy. It feels like a huge waste.

Gameplay wise I only really enjoyed the level Composer and maybe the first one too. Since those are the levels where you only face the Covenant diehards. The Forerunner minions are not fun to fight. Neither alone nor with the Covenant. The Watchers being able to revive the Knights is so incredibly frustrating along with the Knights' teleport. In the past games I can choose to target down the Elites to panic and shatter the nearby Grunts. I can choose to pick off the Grunts/Jackals to go mono-on-mono with the Elites if they're one of the tougher types. There are risks in these choices. Grunts may pull out grenades and try to blow me up with them. Elites might become enraged to pull out an energy sword and quicky one shot me.

There's no choice in targets when fighting Crawlers, Knights, and Watchers. The Watchers must die first or else they throw shields up, they throw grenades back, they revive Knights. It's very unsatisfying.

The Knights' teleport is also a frustration to play against. Oh it teleported out of your line of sight and you turned right and died because it teleported to your left.

I played the first chapter of Spartan Ops and it's real bare bones so far.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

OhFunny posted:

I played the first chapter of Spartan Ops and it's real bare bones so far.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The first Spartan ops is terrible, especially the ice level where you get ambushed by 6 million crawlers at the end. Second episode is better so far. Still not as good as firefight though. There's no real challenge. No life limit and no score means you can mindlessly slam your face into the enemy and succeed eventually.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Spoops sucks rear end. It’s a drat shame that that team ended up leading the Halo 5 campaign (???)

That said, and I know I’m going to Halo hell, I actually really enjoyed fighting the Prometheans on Halo 5 legendary. The “expose weak point, land kill shot” cycle did it for me. I hope they’re back inFinite.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Logging in for the next exciting episode of Spartan Ops back in the day was a lot of fun but there is not much to it in of itself. I remember thinking 'this is cool, I bet season 2 will build on this pretty good' and then no season 2 ever materialized.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Blur cutscenes were the only good part of Spartan Ops and even then the only member of Fireteam Majestic who wasn't an rear end in a top hat was Thorne.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Eggheads

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

One of the original developers of Halo:CE posted this neat video on twitter from a PC build of Halo showing off some of the weapons that never made the Xbox release

https://twitter.com/game_fabricator/status/1413279036160176131?s=20

It looks like he has access to the entire build. I hope he posts more videos of what's in it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Didn't think to check if we had a Halo thread.

Picked up the Master Chief Collection, and so far been playing through the campaigns in the order presented. I've beaten Reach and, just earlier this evening, Halo 1 on normal difficulty. General thoughts:

* Hunters were fun in 1 with the matador tactic (got the achievement for killing one with a single pistol bullet), but I found them incredibly frustrating in Reach with no obvious way to fight them beyond explosives.

* Flood were fun right up until they started toting rocket launchers and spawning behind me in corridors I'd specifically cleared. Almost all of my deaths in Flood parts were for these reasons, rockets and thinking I could safely retreat to recharge my shields only to get whacked by Flood who weren't there five seconds ago.

* The warthog run at the end of 1 is bad. The hog has no traction and feels like it has no speed or momentum. I failed the run twice because the hog got stuck on terrain.

* I loved the needle rifle and marksman rifle in Reach, and felt their absence in 1.

Been dying a lot, only level on any of them I cleared with no deaths was 343 Guilty Spark, but I'm having fun for the most part. Not really a fan of how much of 1 consisted of identical drab corridors with dozens upon dozens of identical enemies charging in a straight line - mostly a problem in the Flood levels.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Halo 1 vehicles have their own special charm. They are extremely floaty (literally, if you drive a ghost into a scorpion tank it will launch itself 30 feet in the air doing flips), you can steer them precisely but it’s very different from the other games.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

the program so hosed up they got a Spartan to push the ORDNANCE DROP POD button just so Palmer could verbally berate him every single mission

like imagine this dude making the cut to be best-of-the-best Spartan-IV and suiting up and then someone just says "hey buddy, sit down in this chair, don't move, and just launch sniper rifles at Crimson's location. Yes that'll be your only job. What? Of course you need MJOLNIR MK 400 armor to use a computer."

if someone on coms wasn't yelling at him, they were throwing insults at scientists and/or probably slurs at elites? I forget what it was but it felt pretty bad to hear repeatedly. spops was supremely terrible, lmao

Psion fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 10, 2021

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

skasion posted:

Halo 1 vehicles have their own special charm. They are extremely floaty (literally, if you drive a ghost into a scorpion tank it will launch itself 30 feet in the air doing flips), you can steer them precisely but it’s very different from the other games.

I'm into Halo 2 now, and the difference is night and day.

Unfortunately, the game won't let me change my key bindings for all games. I just want to rebind melee to F (I move grenades to Q) because I'm used to Mass Effect's control scheme, but apparently that fucks with something in ODST or 4.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Unfortunately, the game won't let me change my key bindings for all games. I just want to rebind melee to F (I move grenades to Q) because I'm used to Mass Effect's control scheme, but apparently that fucks with something in ODST or 4.

you definitely should be able, although you might have to go through them one by one

like I've got the same control scheme (crouch/melee/grenade) for all the games, and the game specific stuff (armor abilities/gear) bound to the same buttons

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I remember the hog handling complaints all the way back to the first days, the trick is to acknowledge that the hog is following the camera, and not because you're turning it left or right yourself.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Halo 2 vehicles handle so much better compared to 1 but then they're also made out of paper. Whose idea was it to tie vehicle health to player health. It makes the scorpion horrifically flimsy while giving Legendary enemies way too much health. Three tank shots to kill an Ultra Elite on a ghost is too much. The flood Ghosts are even more durable.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Halo 2 vehicles handle so much better compared to 1 but then they're also made out of paper. Whose idea was it to tie vehicle health to player health. It makes the scorpion horrifically flimsy while giving Legendary enemies way too much health. Three tank shots to kill an Ultra Elite on a ghost is too much. The flood Ghosts are even more durable.

Love it on higher difficulty when your tank takes a hit and all the marines riding on the side take sympathetic damage. On legendary, you are so flimsy you actually can die (while inside a tank) before the marines and before the tank even explodes.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Wasn't Halo 2 the one where Bungie admitted that Legendary was completely unbalanced and broken because they didn't really have time to think about it?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

I could use a proper key rebind option, if only because jumping from Reach to ODST levels and back again in Firefight fucks with my muscle memory.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
ive rebound controls for all games but i had to do it onebyone

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Shiroc posted:

Wasn't Halo 2 the one where Bungie admitted that Legendary was completely unbalanced and broken because they didn't really have time to think about it?

what part of Halo 2 did they have time to think about

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My keybinds are pretty basic.

WASD: movement.
Space: jump.
Ctrl: crouch
Shift: Armor ability in Reach, sprint in 4.
Q: switch weapons.
E: select, pick up.
R: reload.
F: melee
C: grenade.
2: switch grenade type.
Tab: use equipment Halo 3, armor ability in 4.

It's close to my setup for other games like Doom Eternal and Wolfenstein so I don't get too hosed on muscle memory.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

Shoot below them and catapult them out of the level.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Shiroc posted:

there was an overtune compared to CE. Also due to performance issues they had to remove almost all the cover from the levels.

I've linked it before but this is a pretty good video that explains a lot of difficulty tweaking in the old halo games, by the gameplay lead at Bungie at the time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikvheFiDsYY

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I'm still hoping one day theyll have the balls to give us a plasma rifle as hilariously op as the one from Halo 1.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Great Beer posted:

I'm still hoping one day theyll have the balls to give us a plasma rifle as hilariously op as the one from Halo 1.

the Halo 2 plasma rifle had to be debuffed in mp if you remember what it was like originally. dual wielding it with the smg was streetcleaner mode. Interestingly they then also decreased BR spread...

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Great Beer posted:

Halo 1 has really good weapons overall. Almost every weapon can be OP. Assault rifle is the only exception here. I kind of wish the other Halo games had gone for a limited number of guns like that. From 2 on basically all the games have a bunch of mediocre guns that never get used or that you always want to ditch for power weapons.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

skasion posted:

Halo 1 has really good weapons overall. Almost every weapon can be OP. Assault rifle is the only exception here. I kind of wish the other Halo games had gone for a limited number of guns like that. From 2 on basically all the games have a bunch of mediocre guns that never get used or that you always want to ditch for power weapons.

I used the AR a lot in Halo 1 in the Flood levels, it was my weapon of choice for dealing with infection and carrier forms. It's the needler I never found a use for.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The thing I've found about the needler in 1 is that it feels like the shots don't explode until after you've stopped firing. So what happens is you might mag dump into an elite, wasting ammo and getting shot, when you could have stopped firing three seconds earlier and still stuck him enough times for the explosion.

It's certainly effective but usually in short bursts compared to most of the other guns in CE which can rapid fire for quite some time. Needler is also fairly useless against the flood.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Needler can trigger grenade chain reactions which makes it pretty good (but risky!) versus flood. Man I wish they hadn’t ditched grenade chain reactions.

Also a great Elite killer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
When I played 5's campaign, it felt like every gun was capable to the point that it had the Call of Duty style flatness to it, other than close/long range distinctions.