Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Powershift posted:

Great news!

You can order an X6 with illuminated kidneys!

Best of both worlds.

(sorry)

And here I thought I was maybe being too harsh when I commented on the existence of the X6 in this thread...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Powershift posted:

Great news!

Best of both worlds.

(sorry)

what on earth lmao

the mercedes thing looks dumb as poo poo in person I can't wait to see how bad this looks, surprised I haven't seen it yet around Seattle / Bellevue

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Powershift posted:

You can't make this poo poo up.

That's cheaper than I thought it would be, although I guess how much does it cost to add some LEDs to a grill

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Powershift posted:

Great news!

Best of both worlds.

(sorry)

My hatred for modern BMW is more and more justified every day

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

MomJeans420 posted:

That's cheaper than I thought it would be, although I guess how much does it cost to add some LEDs to a grill

THAT IS AN EXCELLENT PRICE CONSIDERING THEY USE FINE, GERMAN L.E.D.S IN THAT GRILLE.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
drat, I never realised how inconvenient non-illuminated grilles are until I saw the option.

Do you think it can be added to my 2020 X6 or will I have to turn the lease in early and upgrade?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

dissss posted:

drat, I never realised how inconvenient non-illuminated grilles are until I saw the option.

Do you think it can be added to my 2020 X6 or will I have to turn the lease in early and upgrade?

You may just need to pay a yearly subscription to have them turned on for you.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Only if you are the second owner, it is included for the first three years for whomever leased it.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

My hatred for modern BMW is more and more justified every day

As a big, biiiig Bimmerhead, I can’t agree more. I mean, I love my E71 (maybe not as much as the E31, but very close), and I’m totally fine with everyone making jokes about that car, but the stuff BMW put out in recent years (I’d also agree that the breaking point was sometime around the E90/91/92-time) is just so absolutely awful, design wise.

The i8 was cool and good and similarly over-the-top designed that I loved it. But recent X7, 7series, 5series, X6, X5….there is absolutely no elegance left that imo used to define a lot of iconic Bimmers.

Now that I already set the stage for ridicule: they are going into the right direction with the M4. If you want to blow that kidney up to new proportions, go all out. Not that 7series or X7 poo poo, or all the crooked, oversized stuff on the other models. Redefine the front of the car in a bold way.

There, I said it, in the correct thread: the M4 kidney owns……up until a license plate has to be installed, and then everything falls apart again…

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

THAT IS AN EXCELLENT PRICE CONSIDERING THEY USE FINE, GERMAN L.E.D.S IN THAT GRILLE.

Oh no no no. Those LEDs will be baked right in to the grille. The entire thing will be a separate part number. When you think about it, $500 for a whole new grille is a bit of a bargain. Imagine how much it will cost to replace it when the warranty is up and one of those LEDs shorts out or the integral fuse on the strip pops.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

MomJeans420 posted:

Those new huge kidney grills are awful, I don't know how anyone thought that was a good idea. Probably the only thing worse are the light up Mercedes emblems that have been out for a year or two.

BMW introduced illuminated emblems on the i8 in 2014.

Also while we're at it:

Acura debuted in 1986, 3 years before Lexus.

First year of the Navigator was 1997, a year before the Escalade.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I had this advertised at me today. A bendable weight to hang off your Tesla's steering wheel so you can jerk off or do anything else other than pay attention during your drive.

Again, Tesla proves that what people really want most is an autonomous, self-propelled couch that whisks them away to their destination while they zone out, doze off or do other crap.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Finger Prince posted:

Oh no no no. Those LEDs will be baked right in to the grille. The entire thing will be a separate part number. When you think about it, $500 for a whole new grille is a bit of a bargain. Imagine how much it will cost to replace it when the warranty is up and one of those LEDs shorts out or the integral fuse on the strip pops.

Brings to mind my MKV GTI where the only way to replace the center brake light should anything go wrong was to cut the spoiler off the top of the car and glue/paint a new one on.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

tuo posted:

As a big, biiiig Bimmerhead, I can’t agree more. I mean, I love my E71 (maybe not as much as the E31, but very close), and I’m totally fine with everyone making jokes about that car, but the stuff BMW put out in recent years (I’d also agree that the breaking point was sometime around the E90/91/92-time) is just so absolutely awful, design wise.

The i8 was cool and good aqnd similarly over-the-top designed that I loved it. But recent X7, 7series, 5series, X6, X5….there is absolutely no elegance left that imo used to define a lot of iconic Bimmers.

Now that I already set the stage for ridicule: they are going into the right direction with the M4. If you want to blow that kidney up to new proportions, go all out. Not that 7series or X7 poo poo, or all the crooked, oversized stuff on the other models. Redefine the front of the car in a bold way.

There, I said it, in the correct thread: the M4 kidney owns……up until a license plate has to be installed, and then everything falls apart again…

I actually quite like the M2. There are clearly still people trapped in the machine that understand it, but they’re way down under the waterline at this point, and the ship is still sinking under the weight of all the silly bullshit that’s been welded to the superstructure to help them chase quarterly earnings.

:(

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

90s Solo Cup posted:

Again, Tesla proves that what people really want most is an autonomous, self-propelled couch that whisks them away to their destination while they zone out, doze off or do other crap.

...I mean, is this a surprise? That's basically what public transport and taxis are.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

MrYenko posted:

I actually quite like the M2.

The M2 owns and I thought about adding it to my shitpost. Not only had someone at BMW apparently a stroke while pricing it (especially the competion version), because it's basically a steal (in regard to other BMWs), it looks awesome and uses a lot of the design work from the E90 series, it also comes in awesome colors stock and the exhaust is great. Put it in nice mode, and you can easily drive it early in the morning without anyone caring, then open it up to......be loud. Neighbour has one (sadly not the competition model), and it owns.

I also like the new M2 they just anounced. It's lile BMW doesn't really know what it wants to be at the moment. I'm sticking to my old-rear end bimmers, seeing how they figure it out, similar to the first Bangle-years. In hindsight, I'd really want one of those bangle 6series.... (I care about my E24 CSi, but they age badly in regard to modern coupes)

tuo fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 11, 2021

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

90s Solo Cup posted:

I just want a high speed rail network in the US so I can do that-- and then I can own a fun car when I actually want to drive. But of course we can't have nice things.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Most people want to get to where they want to go without drama or fuss. So a grey econobox is fine right now but hey if it drove itself so they could be more “productive” even better! The part that is missing from a lot of conversations is the productive part. If people are commuting an hour each way but now it is in a self driving car we all know people will start booking meeting during that time so your 8 hour work day really is 10 hours you just spend two of those hours in your self driving sofa.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Powershift posted:

Great news!

Best of both worlds.

(sorry)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

90s Solo Cup posted:

Literally anyone who is being made to commute wishes that.

I mean, I wish for fully automated space communism, and concept of "employment" following billionaires into extinction.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 11, 2021

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Wasabi the J posted:

Literally anyone who is being made to commute wishes that.

I mean, I wish for fully automated space communism, and concept of "employment" following billionaires into extinction.

Is it OK if it's gay space communism? Some of us have a preference. Some of us also have a preference on how the billionaires get to extinction.

We all want commuting to go away, I think.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Is it OK if it's gay space communism?

https://youtu.be/9RMHiasESnA

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Powershift posted:

Great news!

Best of both worlds.

(sorry)

Domo arigato, Mr Bimmer

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Spun bearings in the oil pan,
With air bags recalled from Japan,
This car not meant for man.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/QaOZgav.mp4

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
lol jesus christ.

the obvious thing happened both times (tip, and then un-tip). dont people get into wrenching because their brains are good at spatial reasoning?

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I don't even understand how he got to the point of it tipping in the first place. Wtf kind of slope is that street? I'd think that anyone smart enough to pull a motor knows better than to do it on an incline like that, but I'm in enough car groups on Facebook to know that there's a lot of idiots out there.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Looks like the illuminated grille is quite a bargain for the budding aristocrat.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

From the OSHA thread in GBS.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

PitViper posted:

I don't even understand how he got to the point of it tipping in the first place. Wtf kind of slope is that street? I'd think that anyone smart enough to pull a motor knows better than to do it on an incline like that, but I'm in enough car groups on Facebook to know that there's a lot of idiots out there.

This. I was trying to figure out how it got over to the side to begin with. As to how to get the hoist back out, you jack the car up and put stands under it, you meathead.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

My assumption: He's doing this on the side of a public road, and he cannot get the stand up on the walkway, so he's trying to swing the engine over to his(?) sidewalk.

Its a stupid thing to do and this could've gone much worse.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
How did he not realize the engine was way off center well before getting it above the body?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Dave Inc. posted:

How did he not realize the engine was way off center well before getting it above the body?

He did it on purpose to get it up on the sidewalk I think.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Terrible car adjacent for one of the Project Binky crew

https://twitter.com/richardbrunning/status/1415254854344351747?s=19

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Hope they get better, but also he's been vocal against lock downs and masks.

https://twitter.com/richardbrunning/status/1307055529127223296?s=20

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
hot take: project binky has been terrible car stuff from the beginning.

i will not be reading replies

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Uthor posted:

https://twitter.com/richardbrunning/status/1307073549446901762?s=20

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Uthor posted:

God dammit. Now I regret giving them money for a mug and t-shirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Someone in the UK who has the money to be able to go racing in is a Tory wanker shocker.