Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

HOMOEROTIC JESUS posted:

I am going to be a little sad if next episode is the last we see of Owen Wilson/Tom Hiddleston buddy cop in the MCU. On that note, is there any indication that Sylvie will be in anything after this show is over?

I believe there's nothing. I'm gonna be sad if they kill her off.

:smith: She's a cool fun character.

they still owe us a jet ski. Come on. :smith:

Edit:
I just noticed something, the Loki in the throne from the trailers is wearing his suit from Thor 1. In Avengers they had changed the design of his fine Asgardian leather. Neat detail.

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

When the Crimson Dynamo Red Guardian v. Taskmaster fight came up, I was convinced they were going to make at least a throwaway joke about Taskmaster not being able to copy his moves because he wasn't famous enough to have studied him.

See when that came up, I thought similar, but that "drunk russian" is not a style that Taskmaster could copy reliably because it's so unpredictable.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

Yeah, I did notice Bucky's cute little knife drop hand swap thing, but I figured there would have been more of a point made of showing it against other characters in the same film. Oh well, w/e, it's a minor thing overall and I still enjoyed it for sure. Yelena and the semi 4th wall shade throwing was pretty funny.
Yeah a big part of the problem is they don't really show Taskmaster "learning" from footage from other movies, and there's only 1.5 fights against Natasha, a vehicle chase scene, and the fight with the Red Guardian. There was potential when fighting Natasha to actually show that it's like fighting all her former teammates at once, but the narrative was 100% uninterested in that. It's definitely not bad, they told the story they wanted and within those confines they unambiguously succeeded... but yeah it was a waste of a perfectly good Taskmaster gimmick.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

howe_sam posted:

I personally didn't see anyone guess ahead of time, which granted doesn't mean much, but within the context of the movie it was obvious enough that I figured it out ahead of time.
It really couldn't have been anybody but who it was within the context of the movie unless it was somebody from outside the movie not hinted at whatsoever, which would've been infinitely worse.

I really need to stop reading the internet's opinions about shows and movies I enjoy, because I gamed out at least half of the ridiculous arguments people are currently having about this flick while I would've rather been just enjoying a movie.

But I do understand the people whose complaint is "why even make it Taskmaster if you're going to change everything" here, because very few in this thread have given me the impression that they're just mad she isn't a dude.

Nazis have this whole tactic where they make everything — literally everything they can think of — into an ideological fight so they can recruit new members to their cause, and I'm very tired of all the non-nazis having to play defense against that bullshit when we just want to enjoy a distraction *from* the state of the world.

So, big ups to all y'all who stated your criticisms while acknowledging who else is on the side of "new Taskmaster bad" and going into the specifics of why; something you shouldn't have to do, but nonetheless now do. That has to suck.

Sentient Data posted:

I probably would have been surprised if there weren't an entire page of naked movie spoilers in a thread that's only supposed to be about the tv shows
It's the MCU. Nothing like this has ever even been attempted before at this scale, so our delineation between what is a movie and what is TV based on a forum precedent set over fifteen years ago and is understandably fraying at the edges because it's one continuity where you're expected to have watched everything.

It behaves like a TV show. We watch some episodes in the theater and some at home. I don't think it's unreasonable that it's assumed you're up to date on said show if you're going to discuss it on the internet, particularly when those doing so are using spoiler tags for their explicit purpose.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Per an accidental leak via Marvel Studios Canada, Hunter B-15 is a Loki.

Edit: Could’ve also been a mistake, but perhaps not.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 11, 2021

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Gonz posted:

Per an accidental leak via Marvel Studios Canada, Hunter B-15 is a Loki.

This sounds like bullshit because Loki made a big deal about Sylvie being a lady, and also Sylvie would have probably reacted to that after either of the times she enchanted B-15.

I see the tweet that is the leak, I imagine it was an accident.

Edit: Even more of a reason to think it was an accident, There's no image of Sylvie, so they probably put an image of B-15 where Sylvie should have been.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Desperado Bones posted:

I believe there's nothing. I'm gonna be sad if they kill her off.

:smith: She's a cool fun character.

Most likely outcome is that they restart the multiverse and she goes back to her own timeline.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Episodes 4 and 5 of Loki are banger . Holy poo poo

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

euphronius posted:

Episodes 4 and 5 of Loki are banger . Holy poo poo

Apparently there's raw footage of Hiddleston getting his butt kicked by Frog Thor. As good as episode 5 was, it could have been even crazier.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

After seeing 1-5 now the meta by commentary on Disney is very strong

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Fiege stand in was an animatronic from the halls of presidents

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Sylvie is a fan favourite I'd be very surprised if she isn't a co-star of the next season. Definitely my favourite thing to come out of Loki, alongside that Luca crossover poster upthread :3:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
There's still no confirmation of season 2, but it's obviously going to star Loki Gator

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Azhais posted:

There's still no confirmation of season 2, but it's obviously going to star Loki Gator

Gator Loki and Frog Thor dynamic duo.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Here's something I'm not clear on: is the Void being full of just Loki variants and apparently no one else just a budget/convenience thing or is there an actual explanation on why we don't see any other survivors there?

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

very fun episode, really hoping they can stick the landing next week.

also when is disney going to release the Oops! All Lokis! battle royale game set at the end of time like you know they should?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Kid Loki did say there were bands of bandit cannibals

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Here's something I'm not clear on: is the Void being full of just Loki variants and apparently no one else just a budget/convenience thing or is there an actual explanation on why we don't see any other survivors there?

We did sorta, I don't think all the people with President Loki were other Loki's. Like a lot of them were but I think there were some randos who just managed to survive the void and meet up with some Loki's, like if some of the sailors had made it off the ship we saw.

The other answer is the Loki's are best at surviving, its what they do, so it would make sense they would be overrepresented.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Lokis also have magic and other super powers to help them although that leads one to wonder why there aren't a bunch of Captains America in various flavors puttering around or whatever.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Azhais posted:

People in my country went crazy with Alligator Loki. All my friends think he is adorable :3: And he is!

Skippy McPants posted:

Most likely outcome is that they restart the multiverse and she goes back to her own timeline.

Yes, I'm kinda considering that either she gets back to her time line or gets lost in the multiverse, and TVA Loki is set on a new quest to find her. I don't think they are gonna give us a happy ending.

I also hope they release the multiverse when they smooch, they're gonna save the universe with the power of their messed up love :swoon:

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I suppose it's also possible Lokis are the ones creating branching timelines more often than other people (although that honestly doesn't gel too much with Moebius saying that their main purpose was to eventually just die).

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

They get fuckin got by Alioth. Do you really think that son of the Goldman Sachs board member who got pruned in the 1st episode had what it takes to survive there?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

I also want to believe all the variant Thanos, or any other super powered being, tried to punch the cloud monster and got eaten.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
BTW this is the best Taskmaster thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zBtl3wiBCk

And yea, i can totally accept that the Void is home to multiple Lokis due to them having a good instinct for survival and they tend to be variants more than anyone else.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I suppose it's also possible Lokis are the ones creating branching timelines more often than other people (although that honestly doesn't gel too much with Moebius saying that their main purpose was to eventually just die).

I think he also says they've had to deal with more Lokis than any other variant type. So, Lokis are always going to be a majority, plus Lokis have a higher than average survival rate during the first 5 minutes, which is crucial.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Ray Winstone was wasted on black widow.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Black Widow was the movie equivalent of an Annual issue, right down to the implied "this takes place after the events of Civil War" editorial note. It was an okay film, but congrats to Marvel for making a movie with absolutely no stakes an entertaining experience.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

mutata posted:

Lokis also have magic and other super powers to help them although that leads one to wonder why there aren't a bunch of Captains America in various flavors puttering around or whatever.

They all choose to make heroic stands protecting whoever gets deleted with them, and die to the life sucking monster cloud, clearly.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

For the edification of those who don't know anything about the character disposed of in Black Widow, here's a quick primer about Taskmaster:

What Taskmaster does:

Work for money.
Copy moves, but not superpowers.
Teach people how to hench/fight.
Bail when a fight goes bad.
Talk trash while fighting.
Be a stereotypical Brooklynite

What Taskmaster doesn't do:

Work for anything but money
hold grudges
fight to the bitter end
get tunnel vision
TAKE OFF HIS HEADGEAR
Remember what happened last week
Take himself too seriously

gently caress me, I forgot one of Taskmaster's best features:

Is a team player, works well with others, and is a pretty decent friend.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Desperado Bones posted:

I also hope they release the multiverse when they smooch, they're gonna save the universe with the power of their messed up love :swoon:

Considering how thirsty a large chunk of the fan base is for Hiddleston's Loki, making his weird romance with himself a cornerstone of the plot was a very shrewd choice by someone.

Also,

Desperado Bones posted:

People in my country went crazy with Alligator Loki. All my friends think he is adorable :3: And he is!

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

A.o.D. posted:

gently caress me, I forgot one of Taskmaster's best features:

Is a team player, works well with others, and is a pretty decent friend.
Sometime post the page where he takes a dive to let a teenager look cool to his friends. Taskmaster's a helluva bro.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x893BSUmdfk

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

RE Taskmaster and the Black Widow; It would have been better had she said " I still hate you." after being freed from the mind control. That way Taskmaster could return and be more the rear end in a top hat the character is in the book.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
That was just Mecha-Taskmaster. Next movie they'll summon the real Taskmaster to save Tokyo from her rampage

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

apatheticman posted:

Ray Winstone was wasted on black widow.

His accent was abysmal.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

taskmasker spoiler/speculation: Rachel Weisz's character may exploit the vacuum left by Winstone's character's departure and build her own red room and use taskmasker in another slightly nicer but equally unethical way, which we may see in a future avengers or black widow movie/series?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The Taskmaster twist has been Trevor Slattery level unpopular among nerds, which makes me wonder if they retcon it later on.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

live with fruit posted:

The Taskmaster twist has been Trevor Slattery level unpopular among nerds, which makes me wonder if they retcon it later on.

I've barely ever heard a nerd mention Taskmaster before this film. By the time Shang Chi comes out people will have forgotten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

live with fruit posted:

I thought the twist was good. Taskmaster had always been an uninteresting character. “I can copy anybody’s physical talents…guess I’ll do crimes and teach c-list henchmen how fight like cooler people”. What a lovely origin and motivation. At least MCU Taskmaster has a hosed up origin with some pathos. She got blown up by a future Avenger and her own father used what was left to make a mind controlled cyborg killing machine because she was too scarred to be a Widow. I bet her and Nebula would have a lot to talk about.