Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Is there any compelling reason to do house shows? It just seems like such a waste. Specifically for WWE, they're already incredibly profitable and house shows feel risky for not that much return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I can definitely see the reason for younger guys in need of reps in the ring and higher card guys as the draw. That said, that's not how WWE does house shows.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
They've also used house shows to try out different things before putting it on TV.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Gumball Gumption posted:

Is there any compelling reason to do house shows? It just seems like such a waste. Specifically for WWE, they're already incredibly profitable and house shows feel risky for not that much return.

Well you see that's the way they've always done things and Vince is a very stubborn person.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

I've never seen either of them before on NXT, but I do like thier Kid Chameleon tank they came out in.

Tegan Nox is a very very good wrestler with all the tools and talent. But she has an accent so will probably not get a proper push. Shotzi is has a ton of charisma and is okay in the ring, but her big thing is she basically just throws herself around and takes insane bumps.

House shows aren't a bad thing, but they turn into it when they're done like 3-4 times a week. It would be a lot better if they cut back on house shows so they can still have people work out matches and try things in front of the crowd, but aren't killing themselves for 350 days a year wrestling.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

does tickets distributed mean sold, or tickets given away for free?

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

A good house show moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPa9uwQ4VEA

:unsmith:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The wrestlers love the endless house shows because it’s a matter of pride to grind your body into dust

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Gumball Gumption posted:

Merchandise money

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!

oldpainless posted:

The wrestlers love the endless house shows because it’s a matter of pride to grind your body into dust

I always liked when the old timers like JR used to mock the wrestlers who cited the house show travel as one of the reasons they left WWE or had to retire early, saying "back in my day, they worked six days a week and didn't even get Christmas off" without also taking into account that wrestling styles have changed; and also that JR's day was during the territory days, when the wrestlers could very feasibly drive from town to town in one general area and spend their off days at home, instead of flying and/or driving all over the goddamn globe like they do now

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I had a crazy realisation recently re: Brodie Lee. I saw him at a WWE house show in Dublin on 10 November 2019, which was literally one of the last times he was in front of a crowd. He left WWE the end of that month after doing only 4 more shows in front of crowds EVER. loving crazy.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I always liked when the old timers like JR used to mock the wrestlers who cited the house show travel as one of the reasons they left WWE or had to retire early, saying "back in my day, they worked six days a week and didn't even get Christmas off" without also taking into account that wrestling styles have changed; and also that JR's day was during the territory days, when the wrestlers could very feasibly drive from town to town in one general area and spend their off days at home, instead of flying and/or driving all over the goddamn globe like they do now

You see it's like how if you just got a job waiting tables you'd have bought a house and paid off your student debt by 25, why are you so goddam lazy?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rarity posted:

You see it's like how if you just got a job waiting tables you'd have bought a house and paid off your student debt by 25, why are you so goddam lazy?

wait, has the world massively changed or something since the 1970s?

Crazy

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Aren't they requiring fans show vaccination proof to gain entry to shows at the moment?

I wonder how many "I ain't gettin' no vaccine" types decided not to buy tickets because of their freedoms being oppressed or whatever

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Invalid Validation posted:

I thought they quit doing house shows even before the pandemic.

They cut back on them but did not get rid of them completely. There is no reason they shouldn't be able to run 2 TVs and 2 house shows a week and do it profitably while also not overworking the roster.

Orange Carlisle posted:

Aren't they requiring fans show vaccination proof to gain entry to shows at the moment?

I wonder how many "I ain't gettin' no vaccine" types decided not to buy tickets because of their freedoms being oppressed or whatever

No that's a venue requirement at MSG.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Would have to see how Kentucky was as a market pre pandemic but house shows average around 4800 in attendance per show pre pandemic. Big markets will skew those numbers though as a place like Toronto house shows will be at near capacity.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!

rotinaj posted:

wait, has the world massively changed or something since the 1970s?

Crazy

Next you'll tell me that Bruno Sammartino isn't the WWWF champion any more :rolleyes:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I remember in the past when goons would advise other goons "don't go to Raw/Smackdown tapings, they're miserable slogs, go to house shows, the workers are more relaxed and they're much more fun", so it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they did stop doing them

Can confirm, every house show I went to had a memorable moment in hindsight. Cody getting squashed by Apollo Crews and Big Show in two separate segments that ended up being his last in the company, Daniel Bryan and CM Punk tag teaming against the Wyatts during what ended up being Punk's last tour with the company (and he didn't do much in the match because of MRSA), and Cena vs. Rollins where they were trying out a spot that ended up loving up Cena's elbow at a PPV weeks later.

What I'm getting at is AEW should never run a show in Columbia, SC, we're a harbinger of bad times.

On the plus side though the Cena vs. Rollins match had a part where a little girl near the barricades started crying because Cena was losing and Seth grabbed a mic and announced that he's made one of Cena's fans cry and that the only way to make her stop is to give up and let him win the match.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 10, 2021

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

House shows are way more fun because the wrestlers get to be free and not micromanaged by an insane old out of touch man

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Yeah I'd still recommend going to a house show nowadays if you have the chance WWE or AEW there's always fun to be had.

And there's always the chance you'll get to see something really neat like the NXT House Show I went to in Mississauga was Ricochets live debut with the company outside of NXT tapings that had yet to air. Him and Buddy Murphy had a great match together and Ricochet got a huge pop when he debuted.

Le Saboteur fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 10, 2021

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I've been to a Raw and a house show, the house show was way better.

The Raw had some fun stuff, this was when Ambrose was champ, Cena showed up to a huge pop, there was a really fun dark match that was Ambrose/Zayn vs. Rollins/Styles that was just a ton of fun and probably my favorite thing on that show, but there was also a bunch of awful stuff. They did that New Day/Wyatt cinematic thing (this was right after Hardy had done his first Deletion thing in TNA and WWE just blatantly ripped it off) and the lights in the arena blocked the Titantron so I couldn't see poo poo. The main event was this awful Vince/Stephanie/Shane segment that took forever and went nowhere.

Meanwhile the house show was just a ton of fun. It had AJ vs. Owens for the US Title, Rowan lost a tag match, called for somebody else to come out and Luke Harper came out and just immediately beat him. There was a three-way between the Usos, New Day and Breezango that had this fun spot where one guy wanted to do a frog splash, but the other guy just kept slowly rolling to a different corner. Orton and Nakamura legitimately got one of the biggest pops of the night against Jinder and Ziggler. Jinder stopped to cut a promo in Punjabi IN THE MIDDLE OF THE MATCH :lol: and the mic quality was awful, so nobody could even understand what he said in English first. They did Lesnar vs. Joe for the Universal Championship in a match that was unironically really good and was better and longer than their PPV match and the main event was Rusev and Cena in a Detroit Street Fight where Rusev got on the mic and started screaming at the crowd in Bulgarian in the middle of the match. Cena won by giving him an AA through a table and then did this really nice promo about how Joe Louis Arena was the first place he had a PPV match and he'd done a lot of stuff there and he was honored to close the place down.

it was the last event ever at Joe Louis Arena. It was pretty special.

The one really weird thing about it was that even though it was a house show, they had Corbin go over Sami. :shrug:

MJeff fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 10, 2021

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Codependent Poster posted:

House shows are way more fun because the wrestlers get to be free and not micromanaged by an insane old out of touch man

I can confirm that the house shows are the best entertainment you, the fan, can get from the WWE; the much looser, more improvisatory tone is absolutely a big part of that

(also helps that you’re not watching the matches through Kevin Dunn’s Migraine-O-Vision, but that’s more of a thing you appreciate in retrospect)

e: just realized I got to see El Ídolo live back when he was going by “Cien Almas”. now, if only AEW would book a stop in my part of WA someday :pray:

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

overmind2000 posted:

Can confirm, every house show I went to had a memorable moment in hindsight. Cody getting squashed by Apollo Crews and Big Show in two separate segments that ended up being his last in the company, Daniel Bryan and CM Punk tag teaming against the Wyatts during what ended up being Punk's last tour with the company (and he didn't do much in the match because of MRSA), and Cena vs. Rollins where they were trying out a spot that ended up loving up Cena's elbow at a PPV weeks later.

What I'm getting at is AEW should never run a show in Columbia, SC, we're a harbinger of bad times.

I lived in Columbia a few years they were the worst of my life possibly, miserable place

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Eat My Fuc posted:

I lived in Columbia a few years they were the worst of my life possibly, miserable place

USC's easily the best part of the city in my experience, but I'm probably biased for having been there for way too long after when I should have graduated

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

they should call it SCU because it's the worst town i've ever been in

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
The final house show will take place in front of 5 people (two of whom are drunk, the other 3 won on a radio contest) in some place in Kentucky. Vince will sit on a metal folding chair in the middle of the ring. One lone spotlight. He will clutch a half gone bottle of whisky and play wwf wrestlemania for the nes on the titantron. He will cry and hit himself when he does while calling out for bam bam and Andre. He will let loose a devastating secret about hogan.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

overmind2000 posted:

USC's easily the best part of the city in my experience, but I'm probably biased for having been there for way too long after when I should have graduated

I feel that, definitely met some cool folks but i've never felt heat like Columbia in the summer, even Arizona in the summer doesn't compare to 109 with 100% humidity to me. Hope the Whig across from the statehouse still has a great burger!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
It's a good thing that literally every historical factor for measuring the success of a wrestling promotion doesn't matter any more because if it did WWE would be dead by now.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Eat My Fuc posted:

I feel that, definitely met some cool folks but i've never felt heat like Columbia in the summer, even Arizona in the summer doesn't compare to 109 with 100% humidity to me. Hope the Whig across from the statehouse still has a great burger!

I've never been to The Whig, maybe I'll go there next week. I can confirm that Monterrey is still the best Mexican place in town though

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 10, 2021

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Cavauro posted:

they should call it SCU because it's the worst town i've ever been in

lol

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I went to a house show that was pretty great, and another that was bad. The bad one was the week before Wrestlemania and the main workers were obviously taking it very easy and the C and D levels of the roster weren't what they are now.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

My only WWE live event was on the uk tour where they had HHH sub in for Reigns as the third man in the shield, and I only went because I figured I should tick it off the list of things I’ve done.

It was the most aggressively average live wrestling show I’ve ever attended and I’d rather sit through even the most no-name bingo hall level indie show than do it again, as far as atmosphere and entertainment goes.

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
The last episode of WWE raw will involve Corbin vs. A polar bear after it breaks into the arena trying to flee climate change and find somewhere cool.

But there's no place cool in the WWE. The last polar bear on earth goes over Corbin in 4:43.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Gonzo McFee posted:

It's a good thing that literally every historical factor for measuring the success of a wrestling promotion doesn't matter any more because if it did WWE would be dead by now.

It's kinda like when a game company has a cash cow franchise like pokemon or sonic or dota or something. The vocal fans can cry all they want about how what they're doing or not doing will destroy the game but once that massive fanbase is set in its impossible to fail anywhere but upward. When you get momentum you just get too big to fail.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Sega, famous for never failing

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Le Saboteur posted:

Would have to see how Kentucky was as a market pre pandemic but house shows average around 4800 in attendance per show pre pandemic. Big markets will skew those numbers though as a place like Toronto house shows will be at near capacity.

Pre pandemic numbers would be misleading because this is a dual brand Supershow not a split brand house show like they were running until a month before the shutdown.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!

Blaise330 posted:

once that massive fanbase is set in its impossible to fail anywhere but upward. When you get momentum you just get too big to fail.

Don't worry, WWE is doing their best to fix that problem

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

lol

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

The reason SEGA failed was, in large part, their inability to take advantage of Sonic's massive fanbase for half a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I think WCW is a better comparison to Sega, since it's a company that started off small doing it's own thing regionally then suddenly got enough to compete head-to-head with the top dog in the industry, got to big for their own good and started diluting their product by making too much of it in too short a time with dogshit quality, having a completely dysfunctional business structure that cost them ungodly amounts of money, and toward the end even when they had really good ideas (like the Dreamcast) they'd already been bleeding so badly that they were doomed no matter what they did. All this basically happening at the same time as the attitude era, even.