Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Washing machine at a laundromat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

highme posted:

Washing machine at a laundromat.

this is the way

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm in the car camping headspace because I'm going next weekend.

Cast Iron:

Cast iron pans and Dutch ovens are sturdy and reliable. You can throw them straight in the fire on the coals or over a burner with them. They are super heavy and should normally be used for car camping.

Ozark Trail - these are inexpensive and made in China. Cast iron is basically just cast iron so they cook just as well as anything else. HOWEVER, the seasoning that comes on the pans is garbage. It's about as rough as 40 grit sandpaper, and often flakes. They are thinner than other brands, but not prohibitively so, and this may be an advantage if you're concerned about weight. The pans themselves have short handles and may get hot quickly and this may also make them more difficult to cook with. If you are willing to put in the effort of stripping, sanding, and reseasoning them, you cannot beat the value.

Lodge - this is the standard brand that everyone has. Made in USA. You can cook in them right out of the box without need to reseason. They are thick heavy and sturdy and well-made. These are going to cost you about 2-3x as much as Ozark Trail. Only the extremely anal people will need to modify these to make them smoother.

Bespoke small batch farm to table modern cast iron - I guess there's a bunch of people who dress like 1930s train conductors and call themselves artisans and live in Brooklyn and make cast iron pans like the vintage ones but they cost hundreds of dollars each.

Vintage cast iron - Before the 1950s, cast iron was the standard cookware. There were many major brands in the United States selling cast iron pans. The manufacturing process was different and took several days to complete, vs around 90 minutes as it is today. These came unseasoned and it was expected that you would season them at home. They came with a smooth as glass finish, allowing you to do all of the things you do with your non-stick pants today. These are still around and can be found at garage sales, auctions, flea markets and second hand stores for reasonable prices. Brands include Griswold, Wagner, Lodge, etc.

Cleaning - this is a contentious topic because it became popular a little while ago to tell people not to use soap in their cast iron pans. Sorry to tell you, your grandmother used soap in her cast iron. It did not ruin the seasoning. In fact, the seasoning is just a layer of polymerized oils that protect the iron and keep things from sticking to it. It is not a layer of rancid oil and old food that gives flavor to your new food, or at least I hope it shouldn't be. If your seasoning job is worth half a poo poo, you can use some soap and a rag or sponge to wash out your pan without ruining it. Just don't let it soak for hours in Dawn or something like that. Dry quickly after a washing and don't let water sit on it.

If you still believe the hype and are paranoid about soap, you can scrub out your pan with kosher salt, a stainless steel brillo, or one of those silly chainmail wash cloths.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 11, 2021

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I have a vintage cast iron pan that I inherited, and I greatly prefer the smooth surface to modern rougher ones. I've gone so far as to take an angle grinder with a high grit flap sanding disk to a modern one to polish the interior and then re-season it. Granted, that pan was a rusty hulk recovered from the woods, so it needed to be cleaned up and re-seasoned anyway, but I think I would do it to a modern off-the-shelf pan as well.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

armorer posted:

I have a vintage cast iron pan that I inherited, and I greatly prefer the smooth surface to modern rougher ones. I've gone so far as to take an angle grinder with a high grit flap sanding disk to a modern one to polish the interior and then re-season it. Granted, that pan was a rusty hulk recovered from the woods, so it needed to be cleaned up and re-seasoned anyway, but I think I would do it to a modern off-the-shelf pan as well.

Yeah I have a couple of 1930s Griswold that I picked up at a yard sale for $25 for the pair. I've made crepes on them and all kinds of stuff and nothing sticks at all. I have a modern Lodge giant pan and a dutch oven, and they're fine. They're not as good for the delicate work, but I don't have any issues with anything else. A few extra passes with seasoning fills in the gaps a bit, but they're not mirror glass smooth. I've been thinking about polishing them smooth but I haven't really needed to.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Carbon steel is seasoned like cast iron, but significantly lighter for the same toughness. You can also use that.

I'm quite happy with this one

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0040ZPPSS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_4S66QY4B84302WS95FFZ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Du Buyer also makes good carbon steel pans

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00462QP0W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_G7PE2GST405J261ZS73X?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

After several camping trips my girlfriend is pretty done with our REI sleeping pads (these specifically). They give her back pain and she struggles getting a good night's sleep. I'm happy with mine but I was looking to see if there were any recommendations for air mattresses or pads that were more supportive but not too fragile either that she could use.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Expeds MegaMats are the go to for car camping. Ive had one 5+ years now thats held up great and is super comfortable.

For backpacking you might try doubling up a inflatable with a foam pad underneath for more cushioning. I've done that in the past for winter trips for extra warmth but I do find it a bit more comfortable as well.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

My MegaMat is great for just me, but pricey. If you’re car camping the REI queen sized insulated pad is significantly cheaper and super comfy for 2. I’ve been seeing them in garage sale sections pretty regularly. I get the feeling that they develop a “leak” after 1 weekend of the grandkids in town.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Shamelessly stealing this to quote in the OP too, thanks!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Expeds MegaMats are the go to for car camping. Ive had one 5+ years now thats held up great and is super comfortable.

For backpacking you might try doubling up a inflatable with a foam pad underneath for more cushioning. I've done that in the past for winter trips for extra warmth but I do find it a bit more comfortable as well.

This is exactly what we’ve done for car camping too, cheap foam pad over an air mattress. Works great for insulation! The foam pad is pretty bulky, but we put it in a vacuum bag and that helped out immensely. One of these days I’ll spring for a proper exped or something, but this definitely works until then

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 11, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The more ridiculous option is an REI kingdom and a couple REI cots. If you camp next to your car, fuckin spoil yourself.

Assuming you got the budget for it I guess. :v:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Yeah at this point I have so much car camping gear that buying a travel trailer would greatly simplify things.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Found a kingdom insulated sleep system for a hundred bucks off at an rei garage sale so I might just jump on that.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

FogHelmut posted:

Yeah at this point I have so much car camping gear that buying a travel trailer would greatly simplify things.

That’s the exact same boat I’m in… I’ve been looking pretty hard at packing my laptop and working remote for a few months, for which a travel trailer would make that super convenient. But it looks like everybody else has the same idea and the market for trucks and trailers is pretty catterwampused right now :(

I especially like those Casita fiberglass travel trailers

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'd be happy with a teardrop, but something with a toilet would be nice. I just don't want anything so big that I'd have to pay to store it somewhere.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Nth-ing Exped. My only suggestion is to take a look at their warranty and steer your product choices accordingly. I busted an internal wall after two years of daily use (four years total ownership), and was still inside a longer (older?) warranty period, but they have some products with only a three year warranty.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.
So I’m going on my first backpacking trip Labor Day weekend! I opted to try an REI trip since I don’t know anyone with backpacking experience and just wanted to try it out.

I have some hiking gear/clothing already but need recommendations on sleeping bag and pads for backpacking. I already decided on the Osprey Aura 65, but if I could get it used even better! Any other advice or tips for first timers?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

liz posted:

So I’m going on my first backpacking trip Labor Day weekend! I opted to try an REI trip since I don’t know anyone with backpacking experience and just wanted to try it out.

I have some hiking gear/clothing already but need recommendations on sleeping bag and pads for backpacking. I already decided on the Osprey Aura 65, but if I could get it used even better! Any other advice or tips for first timers?

Very cool! Should be a great time. Out of curiosity, what kind of mileage does REI do on their trips?

Depending on where you’re going, Labor Day would probably still be pretty warm but could dip temperature wise. If you don’t mind the extra weight, I’ve found that a 20 degree bag is a great starting point for 3+ seasons where I’m at. Kelty Cosmic Down 20 is one of the perennial thread recommendations for sleeping bags, as it hits a nice balance of affordable, lightweight, and good performance. If you’re further south or don’t anticipate being out in colder weather, 30 degrees is as high as I’d go to start. I’m also a cold sleeper. I would try to rate your bag 10 degrees below what you expect to use it in, and a little extra insulation never hurts.

Quilts are another thing to consider as well, such as Hammock Gear’s Economy Burrow. Since insulation doesn’t do much when smooshed, you basically rely on your pad for insulation underneath, and you’d probably want a slightly higher R-Value.

I’m mainly a hammock camper, but I do like my Thermarest inflatable pad for sleeping on the ground. I’ll let others chime in with better and more current recommendations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

liz posted:

Since you're going on a REI Trip, maybe take a look at what your local store may have available for rent. They tend to have some pretty decent equipment available for someone like you that wants to dip their feet in.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I know there was some cooler chat a few weeks ago, but I'm looking at the Coho 55 qt Yeti knockoff at Costco vs the Lifetime 55 qt at Walmart. Anyone have any experience?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

liz posted:

no advice except have a great time, its the best hobby in the world

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

liz posted:

I see you already have clothing but darn tough wool socks and exofficio underwear. I won't backpack with anything else. They can be worn longer without being as gross. I usually bring 2-3 pair of each and just change then out each day. I'll try to wash/rinse them out when arriving to camp if weather allows then to dry.

Sleeping bag: always going to suggest the kelty cosmic down. It's hard to beat (weight, packability, and performance) for the price.

Sleeping pad: are you a back/stomach or side sleeper? There are so many pads out there now, just get something with insulation, an r value of 4 or more unless you live in Florida and don't plan to backpack anywhere it gets cool at night. If you don't need the insulation it's not a big deal to have it but if you need it you'll wish you had it. If you aren't a picky sleeper and you sleep mostly on your back, consider a closed cell foam pad like a thermarest z lite. Super light, cheap, doesn't pop or require inflation. Not very comfortable but it works for some. I'm a side sleeper so I need a thick pad. I really like the big Agnes insulated qcore or whatever they call it now. Packs around a nalgene size and about a pound and a half and incredibly comfortable. I could save some weight with another pad but I can't sacrifice my sleep quality. A thing with some air pads, they can be noisy, like sleeping on bubble wrap. Some of the sea to summit pads had this issue for a while. They are also prone to punctures, in my experience it's mostly at the interior baffle seams vs a big puncture from a rock or stick. Seam grip/shoe goo fixes it right up. There's self inflating pads and other combos of air and foam. People really like the rei flash pad. It has some air and some self inflating foam. If you get an air pad, consider a corresponding pump. It's usually a super thin storage bag that connects to the valve so you don't have to blow it up with your mouth. Wet lung air isn't good to stay in a mattress for long periods (mold, mildew, bacteria).

Something that I never expected when I started backpacking despite having camped my whole life: I got a little anxiety on my first trip. I had a bit of sensory overload. Eating new food (dehydrated stuff) and worrying if I packed enough, being somewhere I've never been and out of my element, feeling exposed and vulnerable in the woods, worrying about bears etc. For someone who has always been outdoors it was kind of surprising to be honest. It went away eventually.

That's cool though, where is the trip?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

FogHelmut posted:

I know there was some cooler chat a few weeks ago, but I'm looking at the Coho 55 qt Yeti knockoff at Costco vs the Lifetime 55 qt at Walmart. Anyone have any experience?

My crew just took two of the Lifetime 55s on a canoe trip. They're great for the price. Filled it with ice friday morning, still had ice left sunday night, after it baked in the sun for three days.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

liz posted:

I have some hiking gear/clothing already but need recommendations on sleeping bag and pads for backpacking.

i've got a terrible habit of reading the start and end of posts, leading me to skip the relevant bits! re: pads, the foldable egg-shell kind of foam pads are a perfect blend of warmth, comfort, weight, and packability imo. your roll-up open cell blue foam pad is a close second, basically the same but harder to squish tiny. i've tried inflatable pads; they're lighter and more comfortable, but can be godawful loud, and obviously can leak. i gave up on mine after the inflation valve started leaking in a place i can't patch it. also they're much more expensive

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Very cool! Should be a great time. Out of curiosity, what kind of mileage does REI do on their trips?

It depends on the location, but I chose one of the easier trips with a daily mileage of no more than 6-7 mostly because I’ve never hiked with 30-40lbs on my back.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Depending on where you’re going, Labor Day would probably still be pretty warm but could dip temperature wise. If you don’t mind the extra weight, I’ve found that a 20 degree bag is a great starting point for 3+ seasons where I’m at. Kelty Cosmic Down 20 is one of the perennial thread recommendations for sleeping bags, as it hits a nice balance of affordable, lightweight, and good performance. If you’re further south or don’t anticipate being out in colder weather, 30 degrees is as high as I’d go to start. I’m also a cold sleeper. I would try to rate your bag 10 degrees below what you expect to use it in, and a little extra insulation never hurts.

Quilts are another thing to consider as well, such as Hammock Gear’s Economy Burrow. Since insulation doesn’t do much when smooshed, you basically rely on your pad for insulation underneath, and you’d probably want a slightly higher R-Value.

I’m mainly a hammock camper, but I do like my Thermarest inflatable pad for sleeping on the ground. I’ll let others chime in with better and more current recommendations.

Thanks! I will definitely look for a 20 degree bag. Hammock sounds great though. However, the day I was in the Smokies, I heard about a girl at a backcountry site that was attacked by a bear as she was sleeping in a hammock. :stare:

Verman posted:

I see you already have clothing but darn tough wool socks and exofficio underwear. I won't backpack with anything else. They can be worn longer without being as gross. I usually bring 2-3 pair of each and just change then out each day. I'll try to wash/rinse them out when arriving to camp if weather allows then to dry.

Sleeping bag: always going to suggest the kelty cosmic down. It's hard to beat (weight, packability, and performance) for the price.

Sleeping pad: are you a back/stomach or side sleeper? There are so many pads out there now, just get something with insulation, an r value of 4 or more unless you live in Florida and don't plan to backpack anywhere it gets cool at night. If you don't need the insulation it's not a big deal to have it but if you need it you'll wish you had it. If you aren't a picky sleeper and you sleep mostly on your back, consider a closed cell foam pad like a thermarest z lite. Super light, cheap, doesn't pop or require inflation. Not very comfortable but it works for some. I'm a side sleeper so I need a thick pad. I really like the big Agnes insulated qcore or whatever they call it now. Packs around a nalgene size and about a pound and a half and incredibly comfortable. I could save some weight with another pad but I can't sacrifice my sleep quality. A thing with some air pads, they can be noisy, like sleeping on bubble wrap. Some of the sea to summit pads had this issue for a while. They are also prone to punctures, in my experience it's mostly at the interior baffle seams vs a big puncture from a rock or stick. Seam grip/shoe goo fixes it right up. There's self inflating pads and other combos of air and foam. People really like the rei flash pad. It has some air and some self inflating foam. If you get an air pad, consider a corresponding pump. It's usually a super thin storage bag that connects to the valve so you don't have to blow it up with your mouth. Wet lung air isn't good to stay in a mattress for long periods (mold, mildew, bacteria).

Something that I never expected when I started backpacking despite having camped my whole life: I got a little anxiety on my first trip. I had a bit of sensory overload. Eating new food (dehydrated stuff) and worrying if I packed enough, being somewhere I've never been and out of my element, feeling exposed and vulnerable in the woods, worrying about bears etc. For someone who has always been outdoors it was kind of surprising to be honest. It went away eventually.

That's cool though, where is the trip?

PCT section near Mt Shasta. My dream trip is a multi day to Phantom Ranch and/or Rim to Rim. The Grand Canyon has always fascinated me and I would love to spend a few days exploring down there.

Having no backpacking experience, I figured it would be good to go with a group and guides. Hoping to learn all the basics to be able to go on my own someday!

Pretty nervous about the whole bear thing though… like should I not bring anything scented at all?

I’m also torn on the whole inflatable vs egg carton pads. But everyone has given really good suggestions and advice, I really appreciate it!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

A boot question: I got my left ankle fused last year, and my orthopedic surgeon recommended rocker bottom shoes, specifically Hokas. I've been using Bondi 7 shoes with a small heel lift on the left, and they're very comfortable. But they're also very slippery on wet surfaces, and I don't trust them at all on mud. Is there a halfway decent boot that would be similarly easy to walk in, especially one that comes in a wide width? I'm tempted to try their Kaha boot, but I'm worried I'll have to get it super long in order to get it wide enough.

Related: My wife and I are going to be touring around Iceland in a camper at the end of August. It comes with sleeping bags, cookware, a stove, some camp chairs, and a heater. Is there any other gear I might want to bring / rent while I'm there?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

FogHelmut posted:

I've got one and I love it. Prefer it over the 45 quarts I've seen from the other brands. It holds ice forever but it's more rectangular and low profile than some of the others. Flat top, rubber feet, rope handles, bottle opener, security lock holes ... You would have a hard time beating it for the price. So glad to see competitors hit the market with at sonorant m significantly lower prices.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

A boot question: I got my left ankle fused last year, and my orthopedic surgeon recommended rocker bottom shoes, specifically Hokas. I've been using Bondi 7 shoes with a small heel lift on the left, and they're very comfortable. But they're also very slippery on wet surfaces, and I don't trust them at all on mud. Is there a halfway decent boot that would be similarly easy to walk in, especially one that comes in a wide width? I'm tempted to try their Kaha boot, but I'm worried I'll have to get it super long in order to get it wide enough.

Related: My wife and I are going to be touring around Iceland in a camper at the end of August. It comes with sleeping bags, cookware, a stove, some camp chairs, and a heater. Is there any other gear I might want to bring / rent while I'm there?

the bondi is their most cushiony shoe, as im sure you know; they do make a few boots but i've never seen them in person. from browsing the site out of boredom, the ancapa and kaha both have a 6mm drop which is (surprising to me) higher than the 4mm bondi. the speedgoat has the same drop but lovely traction imo, its more of a runner that they also do in a boot. hoka's aren't my recommendation for anything but sole cushion for street/casual hiking to be really honest, if you want traction look at plush options in other brands

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

I'd bring a few dehydrated meals as a backup because food there is expensive as hell. The produce is pretty questionable too so if you get tired of bread and soup having a few meals on hand that's got some veggie content could be nice. Other than that you just need the basics.. stuff to keep dry and warm. Maybe a backup pair of shoes if you have the room because lava rocks can be pretty rough on footwear. The pair of moabs I was wearing at the time came home with several holes in the toecap rubber.

But the only thing I didn't bring that I really wish I had was some rain pants, we were tromping around the highlands when winds and rain started and my legs were not enjoying it. It tends to be a fine mist that comes down and it soaks through everything.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

liz posted:

It depends on the location, but I chose one of the easier trips with a daily mileage of no more than 6-7 mostly because I’ve never hiked with 30-40lbs on my back.

If you’re on the PCT you’ll probably need a bear canister, which REI should have for rental on their trip. I like my clear BearVault canister so you can see what’s inside, but out East I typically just do a pct hang and use an ursack to keep critters from chewing through my food bag. Only ever once had a problem where I didn’t hang it and raccoons dragged it away and spent all night trying and failing to get into it, probably because I left an open chip bag inside it. I used a metal ratsack in the Grand Canyon with great success a few years ago, basically just getting it off the ground. Re: the smokies, Black bears are basically giant trash pandas. Brown bears are a bit different, but best thing you can do is keep the smelly stuff (toothpaste, jerky, food trash, toiletries) in an odor proof ziplock(s) and appropriately canistered a ways from your campsite. Wyzi wipes (compressed towelettes) are awesome for cleaning up.

Just don’t eat dinner and spill noodles next to your tent, otherwise you might wake up to snuffling outside like my buddy at Dolly Sods.

If there’s one bit of advice I can give, try to keep your pack weight under 30 pounds, you’ll enjoy yourself more. Don’t bring a fresh change of clothes for each day or imho stuff like deodorant, everyone is gonna stink. Just chuck a fresh change of clothes in the car so you have a smell free drive home. I basically wear the same outfit and put on clean shirt and shorts for bed, and usually being a change of socks and any layers/puffy jacket.

Egg carton pads are a super cheap way to start and will keep you warm. I’d say buy one, sleep on it at home, and see if it works for you! Return it if you want something more comfortable.

Grand Canyon is amazing, I did the Gems a few years ago with a friend who used to be a field archeologist out there. Probably scariest and toughest trail I’ve ever done though, and carrying three gallons of water sucks.

Which, have some pictures!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

very nice pics

desert solitaire should be required reading for this subforum

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Speaking of the Kelty Cosmic down, REI will have the 0 degree version on sale on Thursday for their deal of the day
https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/deal-of-the-day

This is the previous model but I'm not sure what differences there are

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

drat, that’s a crazy good deal

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Makes me want to live somewhere cold.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

whoa, wrong thread, apologies!

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 14, 2021

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Chard posted:

the bondi is their most cushiony shoe, as im sure you know; they do make a few boots but i've never seen them in person. from browsing the site out of boredom, the ancapa and kaha both have a 6mm drop which is (surprising to me) higher than the 4mm bondi. the speedgoat has the same drop but lovely traction imo, its more of a runner that they also do in a boot. hoka's aren't my recommendation for anything but sole cushion for street/casual hiking to be really honest, if you want traction look at plush options in other brands

I've got a busted body as well and was at REI the other day. I asked a salesman about the Speedgoats in particular. He gave the traction and the shoe in general high praise. I'd be curious to hear more about the Hokas and alternatives. I was recommended the highly cushioned Hoka Bondi running shoes by a podiatrist and orthopedist for daily use, but I'm open to other brands for hiking if they do the job better while still providing some extra cushioning.

Edit: also, I have full-size shoe inserts because I am a supinator, and AFAIK fuckin nobody makes shoes for supination, only flat feet and pronation. So any shoe I'm gonna wear for long periods of time, especially in rough terrain, needs to be able to fit the inserts.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Verman posted:

I've got one and I love it. Prefer it over the 45 quarts I've seen from the other brands. It holds ice forever but it's more rectangular and low profile than some of the others. Flat top, rubber feet, rope handles, bottle opener, security lock holes ... You would have a hard time beating it for the price. So glad to see competitors hit the market with at sonorant m significantly lower prices.

Was going to get the Lifetime because there's more reviews and info out there, but Walmart only had one 55 left, and it didn't have a barcode and they couldn't figure it out, so I left and went to Costco and got the Coho. It's a complete and unabashed Yeti clone for $120. I think these go on sale for $99 sometimes.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Dick Burglar posted:

I've got a busted body as well and was at REI the other day. I asked a salesman about the Speedgoats in particular. He gave the traction and the shoe in general high praise. I'd be curious to hear more about the Hokas and alternatives. I was recommended the highly cushioned Hoka Bondi running shoes by a podiatrist and orthopedist for daily use, but I'm open to other brands for hiking if they do the job better while still providing some extra cushioning.

Edit: also, I have full-size shoe inserts because I am a supinator, and AFAIK fuckin nobody makes shoes for supination, only flat feet and pronation. So any shoe I'm gonna wear for long periods of time, especially in rough terrain, needs to be able to fit the inserts.

if you're getting specific advice from a podiatrist then i have to lean towards their take. i am also a supinator though, and la sportiva wildcats work great for me. that brand does run narrow so you'll want to double check your insert. the gtx version i can't recommend, part of the appeal of that shoe is the ventilation.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Went on a trip with some friends this weekend, and was finally able to try out my Helinox Lite Cot. I put an ultralight backpacking pad on top of it. It's pricey, but was extremely light, comfortable, and worth it, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Chard posted:

if you're getting specific advice from a podiatrist then i have to lean towards their take. i am also a supinator though, and la sportiva wildcats work great for me. that brand does run narrow so you'll want to double check your insert. the gtx version i can't recommend, part of the appeal of that shoe is the ventilation.

The podiatrist was specifically in reference to the daily wear and walking/jogging/running. I didn't ask at the time (years ago now) about hiking shoes. I dunno if he'd even know what to recommend for hiking, and frankly I'm in no position to go back and ask him at this time.

One thing I want to talk about regarding hiking shoes/boots: when I was hiking in Big Bend recently, I noticed that when I had trouble with my footing on the trails, my ankles would end up wobbling like crazy. I have a history of being clumsy in my footing. Would getting a mid- or boot-length shoe help stabilize the ankle and/or prevent ankle injuries from stumbling and rolling an ankle?