Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

learnincurve posted:

I keep hearing Frank Skinner on Absolute radio saying how happy he is to be doing his job on the radio with the occasional chat show appearance while mostly spending his time looking after his little lad. Which is nice.
Hes brilliant. I caught a bit of his Absolute radio show by accident a few years ago and immediately dived into the podcasts because hes so quick witted and laid back and the chemistry with the other hosts is amazing. He even manages to make his devout Catholicism cute by talking about it with a bit of levity, like calling his parish Priest his "PP".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Darth Walrus posted:

Your pair of trousers is your most fearsome adversary, and putting them on while hungover is potentially lethal.

Are you thinking of the tie I really wish I'd bought instead of the more expensive pink flamingo shite I'm going to wear?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/thekafkadude/status/1413796974864785409?s=21

gnaaaaaAAAAH

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Once again the English succeed in shaming our great family of nations :(

Perhaps it was not a good idea to allow them to get all hyped up on fleg nationalism after all.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jul/10/he-is-nine-years-old-more-danes-tell-of-being-abused-by-england-fans

The Guardian posted:

Imaan Madsen, a Danish citizen living in the UK, told the Observer that the family of three had not experienced any problems during the game but as they left the stadium England fans shouted “gently caress Denmark” and other slurs at them.

“Our nine-year-old son was booed directly into his face by one fan,” she said. “He had the Danish flag painted on his face and wore a viking hat and a Denmark kit. We had to wipe the colour off his face and cover up his clothes to stop the abuse. I am absolutely gutted with the behaviour of some English fans, especially towards a child.”

On Friday Jeanette Jørgensen told the Guardian that people had shouted “you don’t belong here” and tried to take her Danish flag. “We had a Danish flag and they were trying to take it away from me,” she said “but I pulled it back and said: ‘Just leave it.’ Then they started pulling my hair as well and I couldn’t believe what was happening. It was quite frightening.”

Allan Nielsen told on Saturday that he saw Denmark fans being spat at and nearby police doing nothing about it. “Overall the whole experience was very frightening and we felt like we were walking in a war zone and that it was just a matter of time before someone would come at us,” he said. “We saw English fans spitting at kids.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

loving typhoid Mary cunts.
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/bl...mpaign=sharebar

I hope both of them die , and the infections these selfish cunts communicated treats whoever they infected with Covid gets better quickly.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

quote:

Ivan suggested travellers should be offered an ankle tracker tag instead of being forced to stay in a hotel when coming back from a red list country.

He added: "The Government did really well with the jabs but hotel quarantining is appalling. Whereas in South Africa people are told ‘these are the risks’, everybody wears masks.

"If somewhere’s too busy you assess it yourself. Our Government never allowed us to and never gave people the choice."
lol they do seem like people who are good at assessing risk and making sensible decisions on that basis.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Cool cool country we live in

https://twitter.com/Simonhinde/status/1413783308127936512?s=20

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

big scary monsters posted:

lol they do seem like people who are good at assessing risk and making sensible decisions on that basis.

Lol at ankle trackers

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

big scary monsters posted:

Also, not to forget the allusion to WW2, and granddads in Spitfires. It makes me irrationally livid that these cunts (sorry, its just the best pejorative) are free to go, whilst committing essentially viral warfare.

Also, I wouldn't necessarily hold SA up as a bastion of liberty. I grew up there, and the other poster whose name I forget, at the height of apartheid. That beautiful country attracts a certain type of dangerous personality, hence their second home.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
My grandparents didn't fight for a national health service and mandatory polio vaccinations, they fought for the right for dangerous people to come over from Germany without consequences!

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
Genesis is very clear about Saturday being the seventh day, and my mother always made sure she bought calendars that had Sunday as day 1. :angel:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Jesus Christ this is awful on so many levels. I can't understand the legal basis for this and even if there was some reason to take a sculpture down (like an issue with planning our whatever) it would be a job for a bloke from council enforcement not fifty loving police officers.

I bet you while this was happening some woman was getting told they couldn't investigate a special assault because of a lack of resources.

What was the sculpture Patel objected to anyway? A statue of Churchill getting bummed or something?

E: I'm also assuming everyone else noticed the blue lives matter sticker on that one pigs helmet?

a pipe smoking dog fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 10, 2021

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

a pipe smoking dog posted:

What was the sculpture Patel objected to anyway? A statue of Churchill getting bummed or something?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

This looks like some anodyne corporate art on the roof of a tech start up? Why was half the metropolitan police required? What was the objection?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

This looks like some anodyne corporate art on the roof of a tech start up? Why was half the metropolitan police required? What was the objection?

Apparently it was related to extinction rebellion and priti patel is mortally alergic to protests

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I've seen it now you all have to

https://i.imgur.com/jnbYFCE.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/VMnIhmo.mp4

(generated via the tutorial at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Lu7XPRKlNhBQjcKr8k8qRzUzbBW7kzxb5Vu72GMRn2E/edit, see https://twitter.com/images_ai for some slightly less nightmarish visions)

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

My grandparents didn't fight for a national health service and mandatory polio vaccinations, they fought for the right for dangerous people to come over from Germany without consequences!

Im pretty much freaking out at this country. There is nothing here for me, my relatives I like are dead, the rest are, frankly, best off as fsr away as possible. Another point, Patel has made the kinder transport illegal. gently caress you, Syria!

Sorry, having a bit of a meltdown.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Trickjaw posted:

Also, not to forget the allusion to WW2, and granddads in Spitfires. It makes me irrationally livid that these cunts (sorry, its just the best pejorative) are free to go, whilst committing essentially viral warfare.

Also, I wouldn't necessarily hold SA up as a bastion of liberty. I grew up there, and the other poster whose name I forget, at the height of apartheid. That beautiful country attracts a certain type of dangerous personality, hence their second home.

My grandpa did in fact design aircraft wings and worked on the spitfire and Lancaster bomber :britain:

He had a obsessive hatred of “yobs” and once burnt my uncle’s tie because it was too skinny. He could rant for hours about “those dreadful skinheads” and thought “decent chaps should wear a hat if they are going bald” He also hated all music with words in it and thought opera was dangerously modern.

He loved the football though.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Trickjaw posted:

That would be me. What a bizarre place and time to grow up in.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

https://twitter.com/Damien_Meade/status/1411644729255661573?s=19

(Thread)

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

So they rebuilt an XR sculpture in an unobtrusive place which want causing any disruption and half the metropolitan police smashed up their gallery.

Just shows that XR's policy of cooperation and submission to the police was an excellent long term strategy.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

therattle posted:

That would be me. What a bizarre place and time to grow up in.

A lot of me was shaped there. I have told people about it and they don't believe me. Also, their TV sucked.. it only came on at 1500 and seemed to only show that loving egg with a violin and wonder woman. My first love, Linda Carter. I'm gay but p. sure there's no correlation.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I got probed from the football subform england thread for saying this (apparently it's rose twitter brain whatever that is) but seeing all the tory nobbers who encouraged booing the loving team and wrote op-eds about the team being too 'woke' do a massive transparent U-turn once the team starting winning poo poo is both hilarious and infuriating

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Trickjaw posted:

A lot of me was shaped there. I have told people about it and they don't believe me. Also, their TV sucked.. it only came on at 1500 and seemed to only show that loving egg with a violin and wonder woman. My first love, Linda Carter. I'm gay but p. sure there's no correlation.

It was a pretty unbelievable place. (That is meant literally and not positively).

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

My dad and Uncle grew up in Zambia (or North Rhodesia as it was when they moved there) because my grandad wanted to do a colonialism and wasn't smart enough to pick a country where white people were in charge.

Long story short they moved back to Cardiff but my otherwise left wing dad has always had some contrary opinions about Nelson Mandela.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

therattle posted:

It was a pretty unbelievable place. (That is meant literally and not positively).

Yes, certainly. Pretty was our maid (mum euphamism slave<maid) and could not live under the same roof and live as an Afrikaans. I saw people being killed in township riots. My old man, who .I hope is just playing a characture now, loved it because most of the bars and clubs were nada females (Dad wasn't cruising, he just hated being with us. Still does, in my case! but the boy from .Birkenhead ( a quiet little fishing village in the North west)decided he was going to teach those n—rs a lesson.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 11, 2021

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/coldwar_steve/status/1413834793268170757

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

The only SA person I ever met yelled at me once when 'Give me hope Joanna' come up on my random shuffle playlist we were listening to and then moved back to SA and became a virulent anti-vax facebook posting person

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Alctel posted:

The only SA person I ever met yelled at me once when 'Give me hope Joanna' come up on my random shuffle playlist we were listening to and then moved back to SA and became a virulent anti-vax facebook posting person

ah, I see. Might I be previous if I think this person should just gently caress off?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Frog: why is this pot getting hotter? it's hotter than its been before

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

WHAT THE gently caress

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Alctel posted:

I was just meeting a SomethingAwful poster today and had a much better experience :colbert:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I don't know if you're drunk or phoneposting or what but can we not use the n-word even if it's quoting someone?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Hmm literal government stormtrooper squadron bashing in doors to destroy degenerate art. Seems like a bad omen of something

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
Priti Patel attempted to put refugees in a volcano, destroys subversive art, appears to rip off Mussolini posters, genuinely enjoys watching people dragged screaming to internment camps (which we have), the curriculum in schools is blatant propaganda, racism is only bad because minorities mention it is an official state position, state torture and war crimes are literally unprosecutable, any government agency can legally kill you, the police are open rapists and don't face any consequences until they murder a middle class white woman, and all enemies of the state are ruthlessly destroyed with highly coordinated smear campaigns by a state and intelligence service controlled press.

But if you say the f word you're being hyperbolic. Gandhi was right

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

So they rebuilt an XR sculpture in an unobtrusive place which want causing any disruption and half the metropolitan police smashed up their gallery.

Just shows that XR's policy of cooperation and submission to the police was an excellent long term strategy.

It really was, wasn't it.

Clear evidence it doesn't matter how much you cooperate with the police, you're going to get mistreated.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Miftan posted:

I don't know if you're drunk or phoneposting or what but can we not use the n-word even if it's quoting someone?

Sorry, no offense was intended. It was in context with the post, but I understand. I only quoted that word to illustrate something that repelled me as a child, and shaped my life in not being a racist wanker.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
I'm Indian south African, and am very affectionate towards the country. I think white expats are much more likely to have negative perceptions of the direction the country has taken since apartheid.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Failed Imagineer posted:

Hmm literal government stormtrooper squadron bashing in doors to destroy degenerate art. Seems like a bad omen of something

Just remember, the real fascists are those that would suggest any link between actions like this and fascism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Guavanaut posted:

Who installed it?

Some guy, I don't know who, came with the package deal so to speak. But it's been a frustration ever since, pollen dust, dirt, debris accumulates in those drat things constantly.