Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

nurmie posted:

you can "understand" it in a way - as in, learn the theory and the maths behind how it works - but that doesn't mean much, really, nor is it conductive to actually enjoying (nor creating) music. all of this also means that it's really hard to discuss music in any meaningful way - unless you do it with people with compatible tastes. it's kinda like language in that way - and, the way one acquires and builds their musical taste can be quite similar to how one learns to speak a language

:hmmyes:

There's a thing in classical music where you know how to play it technically correct (all the notes and timing are perfect) but where it's bad and terrible because you're not "putting yourself into the music" and letting your emotions flow into it as you play (I don't know how else to describe that)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Gaius Marius posted:

Modern country is pretty dire tbh

I guess you could say that about pop arena country but there is a whole world of subgenres out there. We just got off an acid country renaissance for instance. Also most states have their own country scenes and their sounds are pretty unique

My fave has and always will be 90s/00s Texas country

a big egg
Mar 26, 2014
Midland is a good example of modern country that even the "I only like pre-70s country music" types should like.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

alexandriao posted:

There's a thing in classical music where you know how to play it technically correct (all the notes and timing are perfect) but where it's bad and terrible because you're not "putting yourself into the music" and letting your emotions flow into it as you play (I don't know how else to describe that)

It means that the composer didn’t write the music well.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

No matter what music you like, you can always rest assured that you're better than the people who like Christmas music.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Byzantine posted:

No matter what music you like, you can always rest assured that you're better than the people who like Christmas music.

This might be the first time I’ve ever agreed with you

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Platystemon posted:

I've played classic and folk music professionally. You're wrong :P

There's a huge, huge difference between how Chris Thile (Can't remember if I'm spelling that right) plays classical versus how Andre Rieu does, to anyone who has experience it's glaringly noticable, and I assume it is to the layperson as well.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

alexandriao posted:

Platystemon posted:

Or the person isn't actually playing 'perfectly', you just don't have the ear to actually hear it :v:

Not meant to be a slight, but there are several other aspects to playing a note besides matching the tempo and the pitch. You can alter the timbre, the attack/decay, the dynamics, you can add flourishes - musical notation is intensely versatile when it comes to actually transcribing the mood and tone of a piece. A lot of that does add 'emotion' to a piece, but it's all in a quantifiable way, so the actual... 'emotional flow' from the player isn't really as relevant when they're basically told 'hey play this piece like you're plodding along a dark road because you have clinical depression'.

It's about as emotional as acting, basically.

e; Aaand now this sounds like dicksplaining so disregard this!

ishikabibble has a new favorite as of 04:20 on Jul 10, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

alexandriao posted:

There's a huge, huge difference between how Chris Thile (Can't remember if I'm spelling that right) plays classical versus how Andre Rieu does, to anyone who has experience it's glaringly noticable, and I assume it is to the layperson as well.

Yeah and if the composer fully notated the music, every competent performance would sound like whichever of those two is better.

If they wanted to sound like the other guy, that would be a remix of the piece.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Platystemon posted:

that's quite wrong, i'm afraid :(

there's only so much you can put on paper, music information-wise. score notation is more akin to a film screenplay than anything else, i'd say, and music pieces are generally written with the understanding that they will be further interpreted by the performer/conductor (which is why conductors are A Thing at all). this is a significant element of classical music, and whatever it is that people call "modern classical"

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

ishikabibble posted:

Or the person isn't actually playing 'perfectly', you just don't have the ear to actually hear it :v:

Not meant to be a slight, but there are several other aspects to playing a note besides matching the tempo and the pitch. You can alter the timbre, the attack/decay, the dynamics, you can add flourishes - musical notation is intensely versatile when it comes to actually transcribing the mood and tone of a piece. A lot of that does add 'emotion' to a piece, but it's all in a quantifiable way, so the actual... 'emotional flow' from the player isn't really as relevant when they're basically told 'hey play this piece like you're plodding along a dark road because you have clinical depression'.

It's about as emotional as acting, basically.

e; Aaand now this sounds like dicksplaining so disregard this!

That's literally what I was describing lol, but thanks because that's a better description too :)

Platystemon posted:

Nope!

alexandriao has a new favorite as of 04:35 on Jul 10, 2021

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

alexandriao posted:

I've played classic and folk music professionally. You're wrong :P

As a layperson who listens to a lot of classical music I can't say it's glaringly obvious. I can sometimes tell that there's a difference between different recordings / performances of pieces I know well but unless it's something super obvious (like how Gershwin's stuff used to be played a lot faster) I struggle to describe it.

But I totally believe people with better ears / more training (like my partner who plays the french horn) can hear it.

Doctor Spaceman has a new favorite as of 01:45 on Jul 11, 2021

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Aramek posted:

Music is, on the whole, good.

I'm glad we invented music.

It's not our best invention.

That's dogs.

i was listening to the recordings put on the Voyager 1 probe yesterday and all the music on it was pretty great. definitely a top tier invention for humanity.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

repressing memories and traumatic crap is probably a natural and healthy response and the idea that everything should always be dug up and talked about is dumb. being stoic or lighthearted about things like that can often be good and not eveeything in life needs to be elaborately dramatized

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

andre rieu treats playing classical music like its a very elaborate version of guitar hero

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

repressing memories and traumatic crap is probably a natural and healthy response and the idea that everything should always be dug up and talked about is dumb. being stoic or lighthearted about things like that can often be good and not eveeything in life needs to be elaborately dramatized

This is objectively not true, and there are a wide array of mental illnesses that are caused by this belief.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

alexandriao posted:

I really, really love trent reznor's stuff, partly because it's helped me through a lot of lovely times, partly because no matter how many times I listen to it, I can hear new things in the background

Oh man I've been going through some crazy hormonal stuff lately 'cause I got off birth control and now there's all these intense highs and lows and anxiety and horniness and aggression and god drat I am now obsessed with NIN, I have never had this kind of emotional reaction to music before, it's like sex in my brain

a big egg
Mar 26, 2014
I wish more people would mock people who believe in astrology the same way they do for flat-earthers. Like I know my birthday zodiac sign but if you care about it enough to learn the other signs like the rising/moon/whatever signs you need to find something better to do with your time.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

a big egg posted:

I wish more people would mock people who believe in astrology the same way they do for flat-earthers. Like I know my birthday zodiac sign but if you care about it enough to learn the other signs like the rising/moon/whatever signs you need to find something better to do with your time.

Astrology is fine.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Like I wanna agree but do you extend that to Catholicism or witchcraft.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Like, I'm not fully on board with the "criticism of astrology is misogyny" thing. But there's clearly something going on, where astrology is a safe target where otherwise normal people suddenly feel OK to vent all their pent up Dawkins-style facts don't care about your feelings "rationalism".

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Yeah, I agree, if you gonna attack, don't pick the soft targets. That makes you a predator.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Like, I'm not fully on board with the "criticism of astrology is misogyny" thing. But there's clearly something going on, where astrology is a safe target where otherwise normal people suddenly feel OK to vent all their pent up Dawkins-style facts don't care about your feelings "rationalism".

It's a safe target because it's complete bullshit and should be mocked, same as if you found somebody extolling the four humors system.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Byzantine posted:

It's a safe target because it's complete bullshit and should be mocked, same as if you found somebody extolling the four humors system.

No. It's safe because you expect no one to wanna fight you over it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Byzantine posted:

They aren't comparable, the Four Humours theory was a scientific claim about reality has been disproven

a big egg
Mar 26, 2014

Gripweed posted:

Astrology is fine.

as a novelty, sure. But it's on the same tier and psychics/mediums just using cold reading and other tricks. If you want to use it as a way to determine if you want to date someone, that's your right, but it's totally arbitrary and based entirely in fantasy.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Captain Monkey posted:

This is objectively not true, and there are a wide array of mental illnesses that are caused by this belief.

I think he's talking about things where some therapists will ask you to relive your child's death once a week every week

a big egg
Mar 26, 2014

Gripweed posted:

They aren't comparable, the Four Humours theory was a scientific claim about reality has been disproven

I mean, even though they don't frame it that way, astrology is making scientific claims - that the position of the planets/stars has a direct effect on your development. They don't quantify it, but they say that it's a real thing. But if you apply any kind of actual science to it, nothing holds up, unless you also believe me carrying a bowling ball past my pregnant wife also impacts the kid's personality/future.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

That every single newspaper on the planet has a horoscope in it means making fun of astrology is fair game.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

a big egg posted:

I mean, even though they don't frame it that way, astrology is making scientific claims - that the position of the planets/stars has a direct effect on your development. They don't quantify it, but they say that it's a real thing. But if you apply any kind of actual science to it, nothing holds up, unless you also believe me carrying a bowling ball past my pregnant wife also impacts the kid's personality/future.

Yeah and angels aren't real, but I don't see you going around saying Islam is fake. There's something about astrology that generates Bazingas from otherwise mild-manned people.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

That every single newspaper on the planet has a horoscope in it means making fun of astrology is fair game.

Sure but the making fun of it always starts and ends with "this isn't real and people who like it are dumb"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fashionable Jorts posted:

every single newspaper on the planet has a horoscope in it

That, however, is not true.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
imo, astrology and witchcraft and wicca and so on are all totally fine when done, uh, in moderation. same as any other faith-based stuff

also, it's kinda hot :blush:

a big egg
Mar 26, 2014

Gripweed posted:

Yeah and angels aren't real, but I don't see you going around saying Islam is fake. There's something about astrology that generates Bazingas from otherwise mild-manned people.

The difference is we can't measure the effect an angel has on a person, because we don't even know they exist. We can measure the effect a distant planet has on a developing child though. I've never seen astrology people attribute magical powers to planets, it's all about alignments and positions that objectively have less than negligible effects on a person on earth. With angels, if you believe in them you are accepting there is something supernatural that can't be tested/explained. If astrology framed itself as a religion where it was based on faith I wouldn't have a problem with it, but they're trying to tell me that the simple fact that jupiter was at point X in its orbit instead of Y explains why I'm not rich. They aren't saying jupiter is a god whose mood changes depending on position, they're saying the ball of gas is exerting some kind of force on me at birth and that somehow changes me.

Both are kind of nonsensical/imaginary, but at least religion tries to explain why we can't prove/disprove it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

a big egg posted:

The difference is we can't measure the effect an angel has on a person, because we don't even know they exist. We can measure the effect a distant planet has on a developing child though. I've never seen astrology people attribute magical powers to planets, it's all about alignments and positions that objectively have less than negligible effects on a person on earth. With angels, if you believe in them you are accepting there is something supernatural that can't be tested/explained. If astrology framed itself as a religion where it was based on faith I wouldn't have a problem with it, but they're trying to tell me that the simple fact that jupiter was at point X in its orbit instead of Y explains why I'm not rich. They aren't saying jupiter is a god whose mood changes depending on position, they're saying the ball of gas is exerting some kind of force on me at birth and that somehow changes me.

Both are kind of nonsensical/imaginary, but at least religion tries to explain why we can't prove/disprove it.

This is all Bazingas to me, mate.

a big egg
Mar 26, 2014

Gripweed posted:

Sure but the making fun of it always starts and ends with "this isn't real and people who like it are dumb"

not necessarily dumb, but misinformed and they need to stop asking me about constellations and what they mean when they find out what my degree is in

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

That, however, is not true.

Don't be such a taurus.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

a big egg posted:

Is this what astrology says? Because if so it's not what I imagined.

nurmie posted:

imo, astrology and witchcraft and wicca and so on are all totally fine when done, uh, in moderation. same as any other faith-based stuff

also, it's kinda hot :blush:

Magic is best done with a kettlebell.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

a big egg posted:

not necessarily dumb, but misinformed and they need to stop asking me about constellations and what they mean when they find out what my degree is in

do you proceed to destroy them with facts and logic there and then?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

I'm sure we can all agree that anyone who believes in Meyers-Briggs are the biggest dumbasses on the planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Gripweed posted:

So's astrology. That's why it has the "-ology" ending, because it was considered a science until it was unable to produce provable results by the scientific method.