Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

My insurance covers vasectomies at 100% (reversals are covered at 0%!), so my first consult is Thursday. Would've had it done last year, but I didn't want to potentially get a snip and COVID at the same time. If I change my mind, I can adopt, and my younger brother is already talking about having a second kid in a few years to keep my parents happy.

I figure abortion will be partially-outlawed in the country in about a year or two, so better to be shooting blanks before then.

I had one a few years ago after my son was born. The Army did it for me while I was at Bragg. It was an interesting experience. They schedule multiple appointments back to back. They have you show up an hour early and you basically sit in a locker room with other dudes until your time is up. I was the last one for the day and both guys before me panicked and pulled out midway through their surgery. So I’m sitting there with two guys having panic attacks waiting my turn. I went from not thinking this was that big of deal to overwhelming dread. Like one dude was balling over it and I’m just like, “it’s okay dude” while sitting in my paper pajamas.

Luckily the surgery wasn’t bad. Only hiccup was the pharmacy was super backed up and my local ran out before I got more pain medication so I had to waddle out of the hospital and drive home pretty sore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

The Army did it for me while I was at Bragg. It was an interesting experience.

Sounds very similar to coworkers' stories about getting LASIK done through the Army, right before deployment to Iraq. They apparently weren't giving soldiers a whole bunch of off-time post-operation, so when they hit ground and experienced Iraq's talcum powder sand, it Wasn't Great and they were goggled up for a long drat time.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Get a vasectomy. Look at the state of the world and ask yourself honestly why the gently caress you would want kids. I have three of them and it causes me physical pain to think about the poo poo they may have to deal with for the 70-ish years left in their theoretical average lifespan.

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

stealie72 posted:

Get a vasectomy. Look at the state of the world and ask yourself honestly why the gently caress you would want kids. I have three of them and it causes me physical pain to think about the poo poo they may have to deal with for the 70-ish years left in their theoretical average lifespan.

Serious question, how do you square this perspective with the idea that the people who know how screwed up the Earth is are the people who should probably be having kids aka the Idiocracy having children problem. My wife and I are fairly certain we're going to have kids but I struggle often with your post specifically and how to decide to have kids in a hosed up world. I have grand dreams of my kids being a piece of the puzzle solving climate change but that's a lot to put on kids.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Wasn't the idiots thread title something about smelling the burning nut smell?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

CainFortea posted:

Wasn't the idiots thread title something about smelling the burning nut smell?

Being awake during the procedure is half the fun!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Do they still do that dumb poo poo about not allowing vasectomies for someone with no kids or being judged as too young?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
They never asked me a question about how many kids I have. I was single with no kids and not one person gave a gently caress.

Women I know with health issues that would be corrected with a hysterectomy can’t get them if they don’t have kids, though.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I'm in favour of adopting instead, personally. I think if I do end up somehow finding someone who likes me for the anxious tech weirdo that I am and we want to start a family I'll seriously propose adoption instead.

There are a lot of unwanted kids out there already who are just going to end up in the system where they'll bounce around from house to house and foster family to foster family, and/or poverty and homelessness or group homes. I would rather potentially save an already living and abandoned child from a short life of strife and abuse culminating in an overdose on East Hastings than bring a new child into the world because of biological imperatives to further my genetic line.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stackofflapjacks posted:

Serious question, how do you square this perspective with the idea that the people who know how screwed up the Earth is are the people who should probably be having kids aka the Idiocracy having children problem. My wife and I are fairly certain we're going to have kids but I struggle often with your post specifically and how to decide to have kids in a hosed up world. I have grand dreams of my kids being a piece of the puzzle solving climate change but that's a lot to put on kids.

My nightmares are specifically that its too late for climate change and I've brought kids into a world that is going to self destruct. And the US's turn to authoritarian rule and a closed border pandemic added to it. If I thought it was a solvable problem I would be in your camp, because wow are idiots having kids.

I get inspired like "ive got to do more to help with climate change" but know that it will just be passing into the ocean.

I know there is still a substantial chance that they will be ok, but im not even sure its 50%, and its qualitatively different from "there is going to be nuclear armageddon" thst i grew up with because I lived in a city and it would be over in 20 minutes.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
I'm just about to have my first kid and struggled with the questions laid out above. My wife pushed the "at least we'll know there will be a couple of not-awful humans around making the world slightly better" angle.

But I really thing it comes down to living your life the best way you can and not letting the fear of the unknown paralyse you.

As much as we can predict such and such and have indicators for this and that. We really have no idea, crazy poo poo happens all the time in this world and the best thing you can do is live your best life surrounded by those you love. Create your ideal world in the areas that you have control over, be the best you that you can be and express love and a drive to improve that will inspire others.

It's all we can do.

Edit - I should also point out that I live remote in south west Australia and am insulated from the worst problems in this world in a way that I am lucky and extremely grateful for. Not everyone is in this position and I 100% emphasise with that.

I do believe things will get worse before they get better. If they get better.

But I'm going to do the best I can for my kids and my country and just keep on keeping on.

Abongination fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 11, 2021

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

stealie72 posted:

Get a vasectomy. Look at the state of the world and ask yourself honestly why the gently caress you would want kids.

I couldn't agree more and have a 0 kid vasectomy for the same reasons. That said, our generation is fed a nonstop diet of doom and gloom and our culture holds a perspective that things are devolving from an idealized past.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP2tUW0HDHA

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Having only two kids I fall firmly in the middle of those two men.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Had a vasectomy in my late 30s married no kids. Basically they had a waiver and just spelled out that it could not be assumed to be reversible and was I really sure etc.

Wasn't too crazy / annoying.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

They didn't even ask me, and the state of oregon paid for it.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

US Berder Patrol posted:

That said, our generation is fed a nonstop diet of doom and gloom and our culture holds a perspective that things are devolving from an idealized past.

Yeah, but this isn't just two roman dudes bitching about the new generation and their participation laurels, there is a genuine extinction level process going on that increasingly looks too late to stop.

Edit: like too late to stop even if there was some magical change of heart among all of humanity to stop using fossil fuels, and that also is not happening.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Crab Dad posted:

Having only two kids I fall firmly in the middle of those two men.

Same two kids buddy.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I really need to get a vasectomy. It doesn't actually matter though since I don't have sex :v:

At least I'd get a few days off work for it!

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

re: male birth control, there are a number in the works. I've been watching vasalgel. Seems promising.

Also, everyone in the US got scared off of IUD's back in the 60's or 70's when one of the company's hosed up majorly - but they're pretty incredible now and have alsmot none of the side effects that the pills cause. I'm not sure why it's not the #1 birth control method of choice everywhere/forever.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

CommieGIR posted:

Same two kids buddy.

If it's the same two kids, I'd expect a title more intimate than buddy.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

stackofflapjacks posted:

Climate change is past the point of no return. It is not a matter of when or where but how severe will the Anthropocene extinction be and in how many decades (not centuries) truly abysmal bad times show up. Your kids will not solve it.

That said: any American is in the tip top luck category of having a nation with immense resources to protect its own while watching other species and people from other countries die en masse. There is probably a good chance that kids in America live and have resources at the expense of other people and other species and norms. Food and housing may get pretty “samey” in the sense of vastly decreased living range or standards and diversity, but hey, they live. Humans are an exceptionally tenacious species, and I think the people expecting humanity to be wiped by 2200 to be severely over-hyping the idea of total death via climate or plague or nukes. Much more likely, if there are a series of catastrophic events, is not extinction within 80-200 years but instead a catastrophic die-off of humanity that still falls short of extinction.

Technology will 100% not “save” the climate, but it may well make large numbers of humans living in a significantly altered and, from our perspective, worse world climate possible.

This post might not help much. But we are not going to invent the cure to climate (we already did and we chose not to), but I also think short of nuclear war, the idea of climate extinction in our lifetimes is the self-centered doomer syndrome. Much more likely in our and our kids’ lifetimes is witnessing genocide-by-inaction play out for people and areas less fortunate than other areas as well as an extremely drastic change in flora and fauna.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I got a vasectomy last year. My wife went from the pill to a copper IUD, and when the time came to replace it, I decided to do my part instead and take my share of the discomfort.

We never wanted kids, for the reason you've already pointed out - I don't want to inflict this world on another thinking, feeling human being.
But still I have to admit, that my brother getting a kid made the decision easier. I never could see myself being a father, but I'm perfectly happy being an uncle. And I guess part of it was simply getting older and more certain.

The procedure itself took less than half an hour and was completely unspectacular.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

piL posted:

If it's the same two kids, I'd expect a title more intimate than buddy.

It take a village.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
The future is Children of Men but it's because everyone got their balls clipped voluntarily

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Hannibal Rex posted:

I got a vasectomy last year. My wife went from the pill to a copper IUD, and when the time came to replace it, I decided to do my part instead and take my share of the discomfort.

We never wanted kids, for the reason you've already pointed out - I don't want to inflict this world on another thinking, feeling human being.
But still I have to admit, that my brother getting a kid made the decision easier. I never could see myself being a father, but I'm perfectly happy being an uncle. And I guess part of it was simply getting older and more certain.

The procedure itself took less than half an hour and was completely unspectacular.

This is exactly what happened to us as well. Got lots of nieces and nephews.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I give you the Grand Playlist of the Republic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-Lu_kzH5Yo&t=13s

McNally posted:

Grant's horse was Jeff Davis because it was taken from Jeff Davis' plantation in Mississippi.

Lee's favorite horse was Traveler.

Traveller’s name as a colt was “Jeff Davis”.

Spooky coincidence.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Looks like a mass shooting at the baseball All-star game was prevented because the shooter forgot to hang a Do Not Disturb sign on his door.

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1414190024661274624?s=19

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
It's a healthy thing for a federal legislator to have a sockpuppet account right?
https://twitter.com/tobymorton/status/1413904070402789376

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I don’t think it’s a healthy thing for our current crop of legislators to have Twitter at all.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
drat it's really too bad that with all this evidence she was all in on doing treason and getting people in and out of Congress killed that nothing can be done

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

maffew buildings posted:

drat it's really too bad that with all this evidence she was all in on doing treason and getting people in and out of Congress killed that nothing can be done

Her district shrunk. Colorado got another seat, so she's losing the portion that contained Pueblo, Walsenburg and at least part of the SLV.

She's going to win by a higher percentage next time because the chud density increases as general populace drops, but we'll get another seat that will almost certainly go democrat.

I want to see her district reduced to basically that shithole Rifle.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Wow too bad helping an insurrection isn't grounds for action and she will have to be voted out

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
'Murica.

Neil deGrasse Tyson talking poo poo about Branson and Bezos on Fareed Zakaria this morning.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/status/1413986565546778624?s=20

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Hypocrisy doesn't work with Rs

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hannibal Rex posted:

My guy dropped a tube and it schlorped up my sack and he had to go loving digging for it.

It was not pleasant.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nick Soapdish posted:

Hypocrisy doesn't work with Rs

Well no. Republicans are now pure identity politics. Nothing matters except being the right kind of people.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

https://twitter.com/virgingalactic/status/1414260353131696131

congrats to richard branson for being the first billionaire to cum in space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Virgin galactic