Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I wonder how many of those folks didn't save because they assumed it auto-saved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

So I beat Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs in a single two hour sitting. As a game it’s not terrible but it’s a really bad sequel. Also there’s like five enemies in the entire game and none of them are very threatening

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Pablo Nergigante posted:

So I beat Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs in a single two hour sitting. As a game it’s not terrible but it’s a really bad sequel. Also there’s like five enemies in the entire game and none of them are very threatening

I know nothing about it but in my head it's a horror game where you wake up as a pig trying to escape a scary slaughterhouse.

Orv
May 4, 2011
For me its lasting legacy is that I have a PvP character named A Machine for Butts in Elder Scrolls Online and I am a complete child so thank you to The Chinese Room for enabling my bullshit.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

unless i'm remembering wrong (i have bad memory) or they updated it to make it actively worse (they might have, proof: they added a battlepass) i THINK there's a quick restart in the Y menu during races. or is it B. there's a menu that has a restart option, is what i'm getting at

I just checked on this and you are correct. I'll edit that post.

Goddamn I'm going to buy The Crew 2 in 2021 aren't I.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

man Ys 9 wasnt doing it for me but Ys 8 is super fun. i think the colorful island adventure of 8 is much more mys tyle than whatever kinda boring gothic poo poo 9 is,. both play really well though and are dope ports.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Speaking of both free games made by students and games with a cheevo for launching the game, I found Vedelem: The Golden Horde the other day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2wpgMIA-DI

It's a defense based RTS about building up your holding and defending it from waves of attackers. I guess kind of like that one zombie game everyone likes? I forget the name.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Det_no posted:

I guess kind of like that one zombie game everyone likes? I forget the name.

They Are Billions? Good game in sandbox mode, although I didn't care much for the campaign mode they added.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

queeb posted:

man Ys 9 wasnt doing it for me but Ys 8 is super fun. i think the colorful island adventure of 8 is much more mys tyle than whatever kinda boring gothic poo poo 9 is,. both play really well though and are dope ports.

:agreed: I loved 8 but what little I've seen of 9 is so drab and dreary by comparison. Even Adol doesn't look excited to be there.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 10, 2021

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
How are they speed-wise? I tried VII recently and the party combat just felt sluggish compared to VI, Felghana and Origin.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The more recent, party-based Yeese are all about as fast as 7, combat-wise. I do think 8's story is much better paced, although there are some slow parts after you've scaled the big mountain.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Anyone know of a good cleaning program for the duplicate files Steam likes to install, like Direct X for every single game that installs it? Or is Steam actually uninstalling that kind of bloat when you uninstall a game these days?

I remember years ago people referring to Crap Cleaner, is that still a thing?

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

Anyone know of a good cleaning program for the duplicate files Steam likes to install, like Direct X for every single game that installs it? Or is Steam actually uninstalling that kind of bloat when you uninstall a game these days?

Steam is not installing a new copy of Direct X for every single game you install, it's only ensuring you have the most up to date version that game requires.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Cinara posted:

Steam is not installing a new copy of Direct X for every single game you install, it's only ensuring you have the most up to date version that game requires.

Hah, if only.

There are dozens of different directx dll versions and it is nontrivial to figure out whether the specific versions of specific directx dlls are actually installed. So any game following Microsoft's best practices is simply going to blindly install the version it needs even if outdated, because it needs whichever dlls it was compiled with. Iirc newer redistributables should contain all previous dll versions, but past developers didn't know that…

No, they don't get uninstalled since something else might be using those libraries.

I wouldn't gently caress with this. Directx redists aren't that large and poking around Windows' dll hell is ill advised. These tools always break something in some fashion.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Man, I've almost finished with Days Gone (I think), and that game is so weird. Like, it plays like a really nifty survival horror game taped to gears of war, the longer it goes on the more they lean into the third-person shooter and away from survival, and (IMO) the highlight of the game, using geometry to spread giant hordes out so you can run them through traps and slowly whittle them down, is pretty much an optional thing.

I keep hearing it described as "The most 7/10 game ever," and that's dead-on, but its highest highs make the presence and seemingly random distribution of its lowest lows really confusing.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Is Red Solstice 2 any good in it's current state?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

What do people use to cut down gameplay videos into clips these days? Something easy.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

anilEhilated posted:

How are they speed-wise? I tried VII recently and the party combat just felt sluggish compared to VI, Felghana and Origin.
i played the ys 9 demo and honestly it seemed like adol's combat seemed somehow even slower than Celceta's

i had to give up on Ys as it used to be. maybe another dev can take the baton (maybe Crosscode if they ever do a sequel)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

What do people use to cut down gameplay videos into clips these days? Something easy.

Avidemux

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Soul Glo posted:

I dunno how it is, but the one I remember is Steam cleaner
https://github.com/Codeusa/SteamCleaner

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Soul Glo posted:

I vaguely remember Steam stopped doing that like two or three years ago.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

As someone who's just about to wrap up a playthrough of Oath and finished Origins about three months ago I like the breakneck pace of the combat but holy poo poo I want away from this era of Ys games and how they handle verticality in combat so bad. It wasn't SO terrible in Origins, especially as Hugo but Oath just has this loving fixation with enemies that change their position on the Z axis on a goddamn whim and Adol is just not built to deal with that, especially before you get the Wind bracelet.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Is powerwash simulator fun or is it just a meme game?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

It got a good satisfying ten hours out of me so if it is a meme it's one i'm unaware of

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mr. Locke posted:

As someone who's just about to wrap up a playthrough of Oath and finished Origins about three months ago I like the breakneck pace of the combat but holy poo poo I want away from this era of Ys games and how they handle verticality in combat so bad. It wasn't SO terrible in Origins, especially as Hugo but Oath just has this loving fixation with enemies that change their position on the Z axis on a goddamn whim and Adol is just not built to deal with that, especially before you get the Wind bracelet.

Party Ys titles don't bother with vertical stuff. I guess VIII has jumping again but it's not much of a combat element.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The 7th Guest posted:

(maybe Crosscode if they ever do a sequel)
They're currently working on an action game that isn't a crosscode sequel but I think they've said it will have similar gameplay.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Awesome, thank you!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

vaginite posted:

Is powerwash simulator fun or is it just a meme game?

Both.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Game with Simulator in its name are usually treated as meme these days, but quite a lot of them are legit great game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Zereth posted:

They're currently working on an action game that isn't a crosscode sequel but I think they've said it will have similar gameplay.

I'd love to play another game with combat like that - it was satisfying to nail down the mechanics of shooting, dashing, shielding, etc. Now I'm just sad it doesn't exist yet :v:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

Haven’t used it in a while, but unless it’s been changed recently CCleaner doesn’t do that. Its registry cleaner function is also an outdated holdover from ye olden days when programs didn’t always follow good standards for installation/uninstallation.

On the plus side, it combines the add/remove programs panel, the remove temporary files panel and the run-on start configuration into one interface which is faster and easier to use than standard Windows 10 :v: There’s probably other, less sketchy utilities that do that too though.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Ciaphas posted:

It got a good satisfying ten hours out of me so if it is a meme it's one i'm unaware of

Alright I'll pick it up it looked kind of a fun time sink

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

What’s the best single-player zombie apocalypse survival FPS? Preferably with good story and characters too. Does it even exist?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

nemesis_hub posted:

What’s the best single-player zombie apocalypse survival FPS? Preferably with good story and characters too. Does it even exist?

FPS, Dying Light for sure. If you want to go TPS, Days Gone. Or State of Decay 2 if you want to trade story and combat for more survival type stuff

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

ZombiU, I think its known as just Zombi on steam. (I played it on WiiU and enjoyed it)

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
god i bounced hard and fast off of Chernobylite, probably the fastest refund I ever requested. I was hoping they'd take the "less is more" route with the horror aspect and weird ghost wife im supposed to care about. But in the short 30 minutes of me playing it, it seemed like it was gonna be a high-scifi story that was going to be in my face all the time.

I just wanted to poke around the exclusion zone, see some occasional creepy stuff, soak in that ambiance. I feel like they decided to go the hollywood route on it.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
oh god damnit I think I need to restart prey because I have no idea what I was doing gently caress

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Went through the intro and good god I forgot how this atmosphere is top notch.

This is probably going to end up depressing me, but do we know how well Prey did? I know Arkane games usually aren't big hits.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Omi no Kami posted:

...Days Gone... described as "The most 7/10 game ever”...

Whoa so Mad Max has been dethroned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

GreatGreen posted:

Whoa so Mad Max has been dethroned?

Weirdly enough I think Mad Max still holds the throne by lieu of being consistently mediocre. Days Gone has higher highs, but way lower lows, so one minute you're wondering why it got such bad reviews and the next minute the game feels like it's flying apart at the seams.

Mad Max is also way more consistently fun- if you like the first half hour, you'll like the whole game. But I absolutely despised about half of Days Gone's mechanics, and all the way to the end it felt like it was constantly innovating new ways to piss me off. But then it'd pull out a really neat mission or some goofy poo poo out of nowhere, so it never quite got bad enough to throw in the towel.