Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

NovemberMike posted:

What gives you the impression I haven't looked at those things?

Because the thread has covered this, ad nauseum, sometimes multiple times with the same poster.

When you post like this it comes off as the derailment tactic where you refuse to acknowledge prior conversation and pretend to not understand. And when people who are tired of repeating themselves refuse, you say they're not serious or not informed.

It comes of like that because that exact thing has been done several times in this thread already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

NovemberMike posted:

Are you saying that you're generally ok with the powers and duties of the police but you want to abolish the specific system?

There should not be a class of people above the law that holds the power of life and death that also are the ones to respond to a snickers bar being taken off the shelf. There is no actual alternative to salvaging the current system that would work better than simply abolishing the police and replacing them. At a certain point a system has become so broken that it is simpler and faster to simply dismantle it and police certainly qualify.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Sedisp posted:

There should not be a class of people above the law that holds the power of life and death that also are the ones to respond to a snickers bar being taken off the shelf. There is no actual alternative to salvaging the current system that would work better than simply abolishing the police and replacing them. At a certain point a system has become so broken that it is simpler and faster to simply dismantle it and police certainly qualify.

Yeah, a lot of the things we accept as being part of the profession of policing make absolutely no sense and if you explained them to someone completely unfamiliar with "the police" they'd tell you, "wow, that's loving stupid!"

We, collectively, only put up with that poo poo because that's the way we've always done it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/carterforva/status/1387367079372902405?s=20

Cops rolling around like the Taliban or Klansmen in the back of a pickup to come murder you.

https://twitter.com/equalityAlec/status/1387427970843824130?s=20

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 28, 2021

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

I wonder how many people cops kill a year just this way.

As a reminder the UK is a racist shithole and they still only kill 3 people a year there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaxyon posted:

I wonder how many people cops kill a year just this way.

As a reminder the UK is a racist shithole and they still only kill 3 people a year there.

The cops might only shoot 3 people a year here but the statistic you want is "deaths in police custody" or "deaths following police contact" as it often includes things like "repeatedly falling down the stairs on the way to the cells which coincidentally are on the ground floor" and "death as a result of being hit on the head by a cop with a truncheon but the cop wasn't convicted of killing the guy"

https://www.inquest.org.uk/iopc-stats-2020

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 29, 2021

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Welp so much for any cops being less bastards.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Jaxyon posted:

Welp so much for any cops being less bastards.

Australia isn't too bad: https://www.aic.gov.au/sites/default/files/2020-05/sr13_national_deaths_in_custody_program.pdf Proportion wise, still racist towards killing Indigenous people, but a much lower death rate by police/in police custody than US/UK.

E: This article is mostly about deaths with custody in prison, but here's a snapshot of police custody/operations related deaths that I grabbed from that PDF:

Kalit fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 29, 2021

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
https://twitter.com/michaelharriot/status/1388040601896161283

As usual a bunch of data.

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 30, 2021

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I actually do have a question regarding policing in the context of public health emergencies. I think it's obvious that the police as they exist now are supremely unsuited to actually enforcing public health orders, having multiple times throughout this pandemic failed to actually police white anti-maskers in remotely the same way they treat other movements. But theoretically, in a just society, there would still be a potential need to enforce a ban on gatherings due to a pandemic. What would the response to that look like in a world where the police were abolished?

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I suspect the answer is the same as to every other "what about situation X" question - in an ideal world, you'd have people who possessed relevant training instead of guns do it. The big impossible gap in the plan is still just the transition period between present day and ideal world.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

“He seems like he’s tweaking, but he’s not doing anything wrong,” he says. “He’s just scaring my wife.”

:whoptc:

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I had a weird day out at a rural rangeland research site yesterday, where some hillbilly ran away from a sheriff's deputy who had stopped him walking down a nearby road just for looking suspicious. ~16 cops then spent the next several hours surrounding our site while combing the sagebrush with dogs, drones and automatic rifles looking for this guy who ostensibly did nothing wrong and who--in the deputy's own words--"isn't dangerous, just stupid." I'd have felt a lot more comfortable with shirtless tweakers emerging from the brush around me than with these cops buzzing drones right over our heads for fun and watching us through binoculars from 3 different angles for half the day. Somehow this experience made me feel more unsafe than a time I had an ornery landowner accost me with a rifle in his hands. They came over to ask questions and search my truck and I realized my hands were shaking when I handed them my ID, having that sort of stress response to these assholes despite having absolutely nothing to hide or anything tangible to worry about should be a pretty big sign that something about this whole situation is hosed up.

They didn't find him, bless his tenacious spirit. Sometimes there are happy endings, at least until a swat team kicks down his front door and shoots his dog in a couple days time.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/sciam/status/1397235140313616390?s=20

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

well its good that cops are scared to gently caress around and find out now.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Someone pointed out to me that if George Floyd hadn't been murdered, nobody would have even heard of him. He very likely would have been jailed, bullied into a bullshit plea deal, and locked away for decades, all for a loving bounced check. Just like so many other black people who are imprisoned on bullshit charges.

Which is definitely not to say that he's better off dead. But realizing that should highlight how horrendously cruel our criminal justice system is to black people even when it isn't murdering them.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Fister Roboto posted:

Someone pointed out to me that if George Floyd hadn't been murdered, nobody would have even heard of him. He very likely would have been jailed, bullied into a bullshit plea deal, and locked away for decades, all for a loving bounced check. Just like so many other black people who are imprisoned on bullshit charges.

Which is definitely not to say that he's better off dead. But realizing that should highlight how horrendously cruel our criminal justice system is to black people even when it isn't murdering them.

pretty much. all because some store manager got loving weird and pissy about it. like rear end in a top hat. pretty sure george didnt know it was fake money. like a man is dead and alinements changed because some manager was a massive dipshit and inadvertently got a man murdered by cops.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 26, 2021

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Dapper_Swindler posted:

pretty much. all because some store manager got loving weird and pissy about it. like rear end in a top hat. pretty sure george didnt know it was fake money. like a man is dead and alinements changed because some manager was a massive dipshit and inadvertently got a man murdered by cops.

A lot of people who work in retail get any dodgy notes they accept taken out of their wages.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Morningwoodpecker posted:

A lot of people who work in retail get any dodgy notes they accept taken out of their wages.

Yeah so you just don't accept anything questionable. I worked in retail for like a decade and never saw the cops get called over a counterfeit bill, ever.

I doubt the bill was even counterfeit.

Also not only do white people not give a poo poo about black lives, George Floyd made us care even less:

https://www.theroot.com/it-turns-out-all-those-woke-white-allies-were-lying-1846959017

quote:

Recent polling numbers show that the support for Black Lives Matter has severely declined. Despite the litany of evidence, a May 21 PBS NewsHour/NPR/Marist poll insinuates that most white people still don’t believe Black people are treated differently by law enforcement officers. But when analysts examine the data, it shows that ethnic minorities’ support for the movement and for other key indicators for racial justice are higher than they were before George Floyd’s death. However, white people’s support has declined to levels lower than they were a year ago.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah so you just don't accept anything questionable. I worked in retail for like a decade and never saw the cops get called over a counterfeit bill, ever.

Dodgy notes can be hard to spot, that's sort of the idea.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Jaxyon posted:

I doubt the bill was even counterfeit.

Also not only do white people not give a poo poo about black lives, George Floyd made us care even less:

https://www.theroot.com/it-turns-out-all-those-woke-white-allies-were-lying-1846959017

This isnt terribly surprising as the amount of "Crimes are skyrocketing!" headlines are kind of everywhere in response to defunding police departments getting any sort of traction.

Im sure that the crime stats are completely legit though, in no way are the police cooking the books.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Police are too stupid to cook the books to that scale.

It's probably happening but yes the media playing it up is causing a response. And it doesn't have anything at all to do with defunding the police, which almost completely did not happen.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

Replying from USPol:

VitalSigns posted:

What I find fascinating about all the people posting polling data saying that defunding the police is popular, but the slogan "defund the police" is not, and wailing that we could make cuts to police funding happen if only those dastardly protestors would stop calling it that, is that none of yall ever seem to ask yourselves this simple question:

"Why, if the people in power in places like Minneapolis and New York are only opposing the slogan because they're wisely following the lead of public polling, are they not implementing policies that are overwhelmingly popular in polling like transferring police funding to other community services" :iiam:

Minneapolis did do exactly that. They shifted some money that was supposed to go to MPD and moved it to violence prevention measures. This was in addition to the initial proposed budget reduction because of the pandemic: https://www.minnpost.com/metro/2020...ng-in-the-city/.

quote:

The key point of contention between Frey and the council was the mayor’s proposed $176 million allotment to the Minneapolis Police Department.
Frey’s 2021 plan has about $17 million less than the 2020 police budget of $193 million. But Council President Lisa Bender and Council Members Steve Fletcher and Phillipe Cunningham aimed to move even more money out of the department, proposing a plan, dubbed “Safety for All,” that took $7.7 million from MPD to put toward several violence prevention measures and other programs administered outside the department.

Those measures include the expansion of the city’s 311 services in order to take theft and property damage reports, parking complaints, and provide support for homeless people. The “Safety for All” plan also beefs up violence prevention efforts such as the Next Step Program, which connects youth and young-adult victims of violence with resources and support, from job training and housing assistance to education and legal help.

Granted, I don't think it's a meaningful enough amount to actually change anything. But it's not like they weren't following that polling, like you're claiming

Kalit fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jun 2, 2021

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Bringing this thread to the first page, because it appears people have opinions on the police in USPol.

Lets see how much that translates to in depth posting here.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Relevant to content:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah, it's not that there does not exist some theoretical set of reforms that could make police tolerable. It's that they're effectively impossible to implement; police are too thoroughly entrenched in existing power structures and too thoroughly encultured with antagonistic white supremacy to accept minor, tepid reforms, much less anything substantial. The only way to force them them to bargain is to hold their funding hostage.

The entire line of complaints about bad slogans and unreasonable activists is just a smokescreen for the lack of political will to oppose the cop political machine. I don't think that's going to change until and unless the people poisoned with 80s/90s crime wave rhetoric either are disabused of that worldview, or are replaced by younger voters who aren't.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

fool of sound posted:

Yeah, it's not that there does not exist some theoretical set of reforms that could make police tolerable. It's that they're effectively impossible to implement; police are too thoroughly entrenched in existing power structures and too thoroughly encultured with antagonistic white supremacy to accept minor, tepid reforms, much less anything substantial. The only way to force them them to bargain is to hold their funding hostage.

The entire line of complaints about bad slogans and unreasonable activists is just a smokescreen for the lack of political will to oppose the cop political machine. I don't think that's going to change until and unless the people poisoned with 80s/90s crime wave rhetoric either are disabused of that worldview, or are replaced by younger voters who aren't.

The other half of that is making their outright criminal behavior actually hurt them. The biggest problem is that anytime they kill someones dog, or murder a suspect, they never pay. Its the city that pays.

It should be coming out of their skin. But no they are largely protected from actual consequences.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

fool of sound posted:

Yeah it's a very hard battle and people need to be pretty serious about it. That's why the constant whining about slogans bothers me.

Are you about this work, or are you just talking poo poo? If the slogan doesn't work, fine, workshop another. This is stuff that needs to be done, complaining about slogans does nothing.

Los Angeles passed Measure J and elected Gascon, sure.

Result: the LA County supervisors are trying to overrule the measure and the sheriff is trying to recall the DA.

These are very powerful interests, but they haven't won yet and there is popular support for reform/abolition. People have to do more than talk about how they don't like slogans. That's why, almost every single time, nobody who was involved in the "but my slogans!" discussion goes anywhere past that point or ventures into this thread.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah it's a very hard battle and people need to be pretty serious about it. That's why the constant whining about slogans bothers me.

Are you about this work, or are you just talking poo poo? If the slogan doesn't work, fine, workshop another. This is stuff that needs to be done, complaining about slogans does nothing.

Los Angeles passed Measure J and elected Gascon, sure.

Result: the LA County supervisors are trying to overrule the measure and the sheriff is trying to recall the DA.

These are very powerful interests, but they haven't won yet and there is popular support for reform/abolition. People have to do more than talk about how they don't like slogans. That's why, almost every single time, nobody who was involved in the "but my slogans!" discussion goes anywhere past that point or ventures into this thread.

I think this happens because it becomes a proxy for arguing over whether it's acceptable for politicians to play the political games in re: "law and order" and saying nice things about cops.

I feel like the argument always starts the exact same way:

1) Twitter link to some Democrat saying we need to reform the police or saying we shouldn't defund them.
2) Commentary on how that den is evil/bootlicker/whatever
3) Pushback that it's a bad/unpopular slogan so you can't expect politicians to use it if you want to get anything done
4) Argument over the slogan.

I personally think it's a bad slogan, but I have no interest in complaining about people using it. My only motivation to complain about it is countering people demanding everyone must use it

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Jarmak posted:

1) Twitter link to some Democrat saying we need to reform the police or saying we shouldn't defund them.
2) Commentary on how that den is evil/bootlicker/whatever
3) Pushback that it's a bad/unpopular slogan so you can't expect politicians to use it if you want to get anything done
4) Argument over the slogan.
I think its a little disingenuous to say everyone is coming at this from step 2, that's just twitter rabble. Step two is often "We've tried reform, reform doesn't work, it often results in increased budgets and disasters like the militarization of police. The goal is not to reform police, but to radically alter their role in our justice system and prop up human centered social programs and treatments. We live in a a society where money drives everything, police departments will only get smaller and have less power if we reduce their budgets. That's why it has to be defund and not reform"

Then everyone goes on to talk about defund scares people and reform will never happen if we keep talking about defund, missing the entire point that reform doesn't work.

Defund needs to happen, lets call it like it is. That dem politician isn't an evil bootlicker, but someone that needs to be educated on the ideas of defund vs reform and that isn't going to happen if we shy away from the argument.

Defund is also a solution just as much as its a slogan. For years the goal has t=been to reduce the size of police forces and promote social services. Or even just to promote social services, and the pushback is always "Oh yea, those are good ideas, but how? Where will the money for social services come from?" Defund address that. Defund is the "fiscally conservative socially liberal" stance, people need to be convinced of that.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
gently caress the police, etc. but saying "we already tried reform!" strikes me as a really weird take when basically everything actually done concerning law enforcement has been the OPPOSITE of reforms.

Some of these overlap, but just off the top of my head:

Qualified immunity being given to police
War on drugs
Mass use of wiretapping
Police militarization, including literally giving military equipment to police
Mass proliferation of no-knock warrants
Mandatory minimum sentencing/3 strikes laws
"Broken windows" policing
1994 Crime Bill
Explosion of for-profit prison industry (including for children)
Wide application of "Killology" style EVERYTHING MURDERS COPS training methods

Like I don't think it's enough to just fiddle around the edges now because the state we're in with policing is a total shitshow, but we haven't "tried reform" seriously only for it to fail, the overwhelming trend since at least Nixon has been rushing headlong towards making everything even worse in all directions on purpose. Some people have been demanding reforms forever, sure (and it's sincerely great that they've been trying!), but they almost never got them.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

sean10mm posted:

gently caress the police, etc. but saying "we already tried reform!" strikes me as a really weird take when basically everything actually done concerning law enforcement has been the OPPOSITE of reforms.

Some of these overlap, but just off the top of my head:

Qualified immunity being given to police
War on drugs
Mass use of wiretapping
Police militarization, including literally giving military equipment to police
Mass proliferation of no-knock warrants
Mandatory minimum sentencing/3 strikes laws
"Broken windows" policing
1994 Crime Bill
Explosion of for-profit prison industry (including for children)
Wide application of "Killology" style EVERYTHING MURDERS COPS training methods

Like I don't think it's enough to just fiddle around the edges now because the state we're in with policing is a total shitshow, but we haven't "tried reform" seriously only for it to fail, the overwhelming trend since at least Nixon has been rushing headlong towards making everything even worse in all directions on purpose. Some people have been demanding reforms forever, sure (and it's sincerely great that they've been trying!), but they almost never got them.

Basically this. It confuses me when people say "reform doesn't work" when reform has rarely happened. The few instances that are substantial enough for me to consider them "reform" would be Camden's police department, maybe CAHOOTS/STAR in Eugene/Denver, and possibly mandating/enforcing body cameras. Those have actually made substantial impacts, even if it's still far from the point that it's needed. These reforms didn't "not work".

If someone could please clarify what specific reforms they are talking about when they say "reform doesn't work", that would be helpful (such as your post, eSporks). But I interpret that as policy/training changes, which I would argue is much different than actual reform. Attempted change that has no/minimal impact by definition is not reform.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 10, 2021

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

eSporks posted:

I think its a little disingenuous to say everyone is coming at this from step 2, that's just twitter rabble. Step two is often "We've tried reform, reform doesn't work, it often results in increased budgets and disasters like the militarization of police. The goal is not to reform police, but to radically alter their role in our justice system and prop up human centered social programs and treatments. We live in a a society where money drives everything, police departments will only get smaller and have less power if we reduce their budgets. That's why it has to be defund and not reform"

Then everyone goes on to talk about defund scares people and reform will never happen if we keep talking about defund, missing the entire point that reform doesn't work.

Defund needs to happen, lets call it like it is. That dem politician isn't an evil bootlicker, but someone that needs to be educated on the ideas of defund vs reform and that isn't going to happen if we shy away from the argument.

Defund is also a solution just as much as its a slogan. For years the goal has t=been to reduce the size of police forces and promote social services. Or even just to promote social services, and the pushback is always "Oh yea, those are good ideas, but how? Where will the money for social services come from?" Defund address that. Defund is the "fiscally conservative socially liberal" stance, people need to be convinced of that.

To be clear, I was commenting specifically on how the argument usually gets started on this forum.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Politicians who say "reform" do not do the things you are now defining as reform, but they have been patting themselves on the back for their "incremental improvements" for decades. That is what is meant by "we already tried that"

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Harold Fjord posted:

Politicians who say "reform" do not do the things you are now defining as reform, but they have been patting themselves on the back for their "incremental improvements" for decades. That is what is meant by "we already tried that"

Who are these politicians? Please link specific examples with them claiming they’ve reformed the police.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
The question you should be asking, Kalit, isn't "has reform been tried?". It should be "what has prevented reform from being tried?" and more importantly "what has to change to make reform viable?".

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

fool of sound posted:

The question you should be asking, Kalit, isn't "has reform been tried?". It should be "what has prevented reform from being tried?" and more importantly "what has to change to make reform viable?".

I mean, I guess that is the underlying question for sure. Unfortunately, when people say “we have tried reform and it doesn’t work” it makes me roll my eyes. And that’s because true reform hasn’t actually been tried yet for most places

Kalit fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jul 11, 2021

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I think the difference is kinda immaterial since any earnest, good faith reform of american policing would be essentially the destruction of american policing as we presently know it. It's so rotten top to bottom, from the petty court system to beat cops to private prisons to detectives and swat teams to public defenders meant to defend people in capital cases.

Probably the only branch of law enforcement I'd be fine with keeping in a recognisable form are parking enforcement officers, who I think are properly armed and equipped for their job.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Kalit posted:

I mean, I guess that is the underlying question for sure. Unfortunately, when people say “we have tried reform and it doesn’t work” it makes me roll my eyes. And that’s because true reform hasn’t actually been tried yet for most places

It's an extremely important question because, like Herstory says, the police require a level of reform that would render them almost unrecognizable, but because they're so deeply entrenched in power structures that level of reform is effectively impossible. Reform and defund and abolish are all non-viable to a very similar degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kalit posted:

You're correct that "true reform" hasn't been tried yet. But then what you should be asking is, given how often people have been lied to that we're going to reform the police, why should they be satisfied once again with "we're going to reform the police THIS TIME, just trust us dude"?