Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it does seem like a pretty miserable point in the season. already getting more filler next week, which is just Froppy and the seal guy again (how many times have they done this?), and this week was 50/50 recap and talking heads. the movie is out in a month so it seems odd they'd still need to bleed the show this hard, but maybe we end up disappointed on that front too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
They really, really seem like they don't wanna get to the fireworks factory.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

dogsicle posted:

it does seem like a pretty miserable point in the season. already getting more filler next week, which is just Froppy and the seal guy again (how many times have they done this?), and this week was 50/50 recap and talking heads. the movie is out in a month so it seems odd they'd still need to bleed the show this hard, but maybe we end up disappointed on that front too.

Not to mention this is after taking a week off. I'm trying not to color the impressions of anime onlys but it's hard to pretend this isn't turning into a bit of a shitshow.

Honestly the movie is entirely the reason for this, they restructured everything around it. Even the filler is probably here so that we're still in the same arc the movie takes place in when it comes out. I doubt they care though, it will likely make them more money than the whole season combined. TBH I can't help but hope it bombs.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Might be stalling to avoid overtaking the manga

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Flesnolk posted:

Not a chance of that happening

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Flesnolk posted:

The manga is way ahead at this point and they do this show in short seasons usually months apart from one another so no, that’s not even remotely a factor as far as I’m aware.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Nephthys posted:

Not to mention this is after taking a week off. I'm trying not to color the impressions of anime onlys but it's hard to pretend this isn't turning into a bit of a shitshow.

Honestly the movie is entirely the reason for this, they restructured everything around it. Even the filler is probably here so that we're still in the same arc the movie takes place in when it comes out. I doubt they care though, it will likely make them more money than the whole season combined. TBH I can't help but hope it bombs.

i did initially have this idea in my post but i think this is all stuff that's unrelated enough to "oh they are adapting it in the wrong order" that it could be a universal enough feeling. like i'm not really lingering on this reordering stuff and think it is hard to do so in the face of these more apparent issues with just, having filler content and very boringly done episodes with very little new information or plot movement.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Flesnolk posted:

We're about maybe an entire season and a half worth of content ahead right now.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

dogsicle posted:

i did initially have this idea in my post but i think this is all stuff that's unrelated enough to "oh they are adapting it in the wrong order" that it could be a universal enough feeling. like i'm not really lingering on this reordering stuff and think it is hard to do so in the face of these more apparent issues with just, having filler content and very boringly done episodes with very little new information or plot movement.

Good point, part of the issue with this is that they've essentially pushed together two training arcs with little in the way of plot progression right next to each other while very obviously padding for time. The average viewer can tell when they're just putting flashbacks into a scene to waste time. It's the same problem they've had all season.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

when you have absolutely insane examples of it like Shoto making crystals balls to the past with his ice and fire powers...lol

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

dogsicle posted:

when you have absolutely insane examples of it like Shoto making crystals balls to the past with his ice and fire powers

What

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

using his power like this is a strange visual choice. the episode is mostly gauzy-lens flashback stuff otherwise, though you've got the below takes on trying to make an interesting flashback:

and then an example i actually think works well when Endeavor starts his very short one:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I did have a laugh at Bakugo using his explosions to start up flashbacks.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
So is this show just an extended advertisement for the movies now or what? Should we just think of it as Agents of M.H.A.?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, did they do something like this for the previous two films?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

After further consideration, next week's filler episode may be a good thing in a way, because it will tell a complete story in a single episode with new animation, as opposed to stretching the tiniest amount of exposition into a 30 minute clip show with no real payoff.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Maybe they could just adapt the arc they should actually be adapting?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Or what if Deku and Bakugo get their driver's licenses instead!

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Not Keyser Soze posted:

So is this show just an extended advertisement for the movies now or what? Should we just think of it as Agents of M.H.A.?

Technically the anime has always been an advertisement for the manga, which is how most adaptations are treated by the committee.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

oh jay posted:

Or what if Deku and Bakugo get their driver's licenses instead!

This was the best episode of dragon ball z so I'd be ok with the MHA version of it

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

This series has done like, two episodes of filler out of its 103. I don’t mind it since it does expand on underused characters who are seen sparingly over the next 80 or so manga chapters

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Carlosologist posted:

This series has done like, two episodes of filler out of its 103. I don’t mind it since it does expand on underused characters who are seen sparingly over the next 80 or so manga chapters

The first episode of every season has been filler, if we count that

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also I’m always down for some more Tsu focus personally since in the manga she’s just barely more of a character than Tenten from Naruto was.

Plus, assuming they jump straight to it afterwards I think 7-8 episodes will be more than enough to handle the remaining arc effectively.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

between the soft recaps at every season start, the Tsuyu/Selkie filler, Momo vs the tea girl (Tsuyu was also here lol), and the Two Heroes tie-in, it's up to seven. still a small number and it's only S3 that really feels loaded up since it has almost half of those.

anyway, i thought the first Tsuyu filler was a bore and after seeing people complain about the Momo one i figured they had some reputation for disappointment, i guess? probably doesn't help my outlook that they're doing Tsuyu/Selkie again, when we just came off the class tournament where everyone got to do a little show and Tsuyu specifically was in one of the better fights. people want these to justify themselves as avenues to feature lesser-used characters but they'll just fall into being about a limited handful of the 1-A characters. and again, the outcomes to these attempts have not been very impressive, so i'm not sure how much benefit it gives to the characters.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

That episode sure was a whole lot of nothing. "Focus on one thing at a time", my, what deep advice that could only come from the Number One Hero, and not like, anyone, at all, anywhere.

Next episode looks fun though, I like gravity girl and frog girl.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

If only he was as good at teaching as All Might.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Larryb posted:

I forget, did they do something like this for the previous two films?

No, but the production quality has sometimes taken noticeable dips due to many of the staff being busy with the movies.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I don't know why they keep insisting on releasing movies while a season is airing. You'd think doing movies between seasons would be better from both a studio resources and brand awareness perspective.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

WrightOfWay posted:

I don't know why they keep insisting on releasing movies while a season is airing. You'd think doing movies between seasons would be better from both a studio resources and brand awareness perspective.

because just like in the US summer is the big movie season

raocow
Apr 23, 2007

Keen Dreams

Please give me a chance to be a better person. -Willhart
I'm honestly kinda starting to think I should nope out at this point and stick to the manga. Like as a manga reader it's been fun to watch every season to see how it gets adapted, how things get expended (or not) and all that, but the last few episodes where just... not good at all. Unmistakenly just a worse experience in every way.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Sankara posted:

That episode sure was a whole lot of nothing. "Focus on one thing at a time", my, what deep advice that could only come from the Number One Hero, and not like, anyone, at all, anywhere.

Next episode looks fun though, I like gravity girl and frog girl.

The advice Endeavour gave was actually really solid and useful for someone in Deku's situation. And sure, other people could have given the same advice but other people weren't there, and being the number one hero adds weight to them.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The one thing that's clear is that Endeavor is much better at teaching than All Might.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
as an anime-only watcher this episode was fine and you all have brain worms. chill out and enjoy the dumb super hero show made for children, lol

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

As an anime only watcher it was kinda weird getting a clip show episode but I liked the stuff between the clip shows

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
showing that Bakugo can actually be introspective was good, actually

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I have never interpreted a character experiencing a flashback as introspection, but as the animators being lazy or occasionally as the writer thinking we forgot about something.

But maybe that's just me.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Fabricated posted:

The one thing that's clear is that Endeavor is much better at teaching than All Might.

Which makes sense. All Might was naturally proficient with One for All and only needed to learn the actual fighting part. Meanwhile, Endeavor's quirk runs a real risk of harming him if he loses control and overdoes it, which in a lot of ways makes him a great teacher for someone like Midoriya because he understands that particular struggle.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

oh jay posted:

I have never interpreted a character experiencing a flashback as introspection, but as the animators being lazy or occasionally as the writer thinking we forgot about something.

But maybe that's just me.

It can be all of these things at the same time

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I just realized that Todoroki never tried to copy Bakugo or give himself a jetflame boost while IceManing and I'm like whaaaaaaaaaat.

Anyway, I thought that episode did a great job at showing how calculating and aware Endeavour is when he's working. I'd probably be pissy if I was juggling all that as well. Good contrast to All Might's generally bright demeanor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

christmas boots posted:

Which makes sense. All Might was naturally proficient with One for All and only needed to learn the actual fighting part. Meanwhile, Endeavor's quirk runs a real risk of harming him if he loses control and overdoes it, which in a lot of ways makes him a great teacher for someone like Midoriya because he understands that particular struggle.

Does his own fire hurt him? The fire beard is a pretty bizarre choice if so.

Obviously it's Ponyta rules. The fire only hurts if he doesn't like you.