Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Bleck posted:

don flamingo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

That was a real good Dressrossa panel, yeah.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Donquixote Doflamingo is possibly the best name in One Piece.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Who? Oh, you mean Tanjiahdo Lofulamingo.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

God I wish the olden day scanlators were around for the days of modern One Piece names like Trafalgar D. Waterlaw, Duke Dog Storm and Daddy Masterton the Father

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Duke Dogstorm is such a cool name.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Parrotine posted:

I remember posting it a while back, but the part where Don Kreig throws up the steel spike cloak to stop from getting hit and Luffy slugs the gently caress outta him anyways, oh my god that looked so painful :kstare:

Honestly that moment is what rly sold me on one piece and luffy above other shounen

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Arist posted:

Who? Oh, you mean Tanjiahdo Lofulamingo.

I am not a translator but just, like, lol. how do you mess it up this bad

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

punching spikes doesn't work folks. try it and see

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Bleck posted:

Usually by translating off the Chinese version and losing information in the multiple transliterations through different alphabets.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Bleck posted:

Japanese -> Chinese -> English

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lpzie posted:

punching spikes doesn't work folks. try it and see

Have you considered punching harder? :ssj:

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I did it, I punched a spike and it worked and my life has improved immeasurably. Everyone should try this!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
the early scans were REALLY low quality, like i think they were something in the area of like 200x500 pixels or something bonkers because everyone distributed them through IRC and poo poo

that was right after alabasta so i think it was like 2002ish.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I still have nightmares about this watermark

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
'Admiral Maynard, feel the pain of Sabo and Issho's victory.'
'What the hell?'

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Cat Machine posted:

I'm still not sure how their scans always came out looking so watery.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I still remember that the “Sabo’s alive!” panel had a giant loving artifacted panda over half the speech bubble lmao, and to think people say that the scans are just as good….

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Cat Machine posted:

I still remember that the “Sabo’s alive!” panel had a giant loving artifacted panda over half the speech bubble lmao, and to think people say that the scans are just as good….

the current speescans arent too bad but yeah the old ones were just... eugh

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Cat Machine posted:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The all time great is still "if you know Japanese you'd know what this says" for an untranslated attack

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

A dark timeline where Mangapanda were still around in 2020…..

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Cat Machine posted:

A dark timeline where Mangapanda were still around in 2020…..

TL: roger is jolly, this is a reference to pirate flags

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

https://www.funimation.com/en/shows/one-piece/kaidos-trump-card-the-tobi-roppo-appear/

Latest episode of the anime has an incredible sequence right after the eyecatcher. It's Queens Onigashima dance party into the Tobi Roppo introduction. Bonus teaser of Yams in there too.

Whole episode was just really fun to watch.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Very strange that the latest One Piece movie is called "982 - Kaido's Trump Card - The Tobi Roppo Appear!" but it's some of the greatest animation, jesus christ.

Ougher
Jan 16, 2005
Yeah this weeks anime episode is really fuckin good. I wish they could put out episodes like this all the time without killing all the people working on it.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Fun fact, the one who directed this episode was the one who did that really awesome episode with the Warlords a while back and directed the last episode of DBZ Super.

She is really, really talented and everything she touches turns to gold

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Wano arc in general has been pretty well handled/animated so far, now if only they could get the pacing back to what it was like in the early days I could even say the anime is good again.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

The Red Hawk budget gets bigger every time

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I honestly think that now after years of being painful to watch, the anime is actually something I would recommend. There are off episodes here and there, but the quality has been so weirdly high for Wano across thr board that it has actually enhanced the material significantly.

This is something I never thought I’d be able to say again after the low of Dressrosa

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Asuron posted:

I honestly think that now after years of being painful to watch, the anime is actually something I would recommend. There are off episodes here and there, but the quality has been so weirdly high for Wano across thr board that it has actually enhanced the material significantly.

This is something I never thought I’d be able to say again after the low of Dressrosa

The voice acting (and maybe the music) was pretty much the only good part of anime Dressrosa in my opinion (though then again those are the only things that have really remained consistent the whole way through).

Apparently they got a new director around the start of the Wano arc which could explain the sudden increase in quality (the Oden flashback in particular was really well done in my opinion).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jul 11, 2021

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

That episode was loving awesome and I love all the artistic embellishments they gave it, like turning Queen's song into a music video and cross-cutting Oden/Kinemon/Luffy on the way into Onigashima. That fuckin non-toast had me wellin up.... god drat One Piece rocks, everyone watch the ep

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah fully recommending no one in this thread passes up on 982.
Fuckin art man

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/TheLuffyGang/status/1414182556312866817?s=19

Also lol that 7/10 of the highest rated episodes here are from this year, oden's flashback and onwards.

Ougher
Jan 16, 2005

Asuron posted:

Fun fact, the one who directed this episode was the one who did that really awesome episode with the Warlords a while back and directed the last episode of DBZ Super.

She is really, really talented and everything she touches turns to gold

I knew about the other OP episode (957 for anyone who cares) but I didn't know about the finale of Super, that episode was amazing as well. Megumi Ishitani owns and I hope she continues to own and doesn't overwork herself.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Larryb posted:

The voice acting (and maybe the music) was pretty much the only good part of anime Dressrosa in my opinion (though then again those are the only things that have really remained consistent the whole way through).

Apparently they got a new director around the start of the Wano arc which could explain the sudden increase in quality (the Oden flashback in particular was really well done in my opinion).

My understanding is that this is essentially the pay off to the last like five years of Toei. From really helping push their internal talent, to the internal "ink strokes" compositing program that was first used in Tiger Mask W in 2017, to Dragon Ball Super Broly and One Piece Stampede and then you take all that and focus it back on TV anime and that's when Wano becomes the perfect time to revamp the show's look and take advantage of all these years.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Makes sense, though to be fair Whole Cake Island had a few fun moments in the anime as well.

Now I’d just like it if they shrunk the opening down a bit and gave us more content per episode again like they did in the pre-Enies Lobby days.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 11, 2021

Ougher
Jan 16, 2005

Larryb posted:

Makes sense, though to be fair Whole Cake Island had a few fun moments in the anime as well.

Now I’d just like it if they shrunk the opening down a bit and gave us more content per episode again like they did in the pre-Enies Lobby days.

They can't give us multiple chapters worth of content in one episode anymore because it would easily catch up to the manga and then you are left with either filler or waiting. From what I understand they are still under some kind of contract or something for weekly episodes, so running out of content to adapt would be no good.

Like yeah man I really want to see Roof Piece too, but I'm just gonna be patient and wait, especially if it means getting more episodes like the latest one.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ougher posted:

They can't give us multiple chapters worth of content in one episode anymore because it would easily catch up to the manga and then you are left with either filler or waiting. From what I understand they are still under some kind of contract or something for weekly episodes, so running out of content to adapt would be no good.

Like yeah man I really want to see Roof Piece too, but I'm just gonna be patient and wait, especially if it means getting more episodes like the latest one.

Good point, though I do remember there being some One Piece filler here and there that was ok at least.

But regardless the anime is good/worth watching again so that’s something at the very least.

Alternatively they could do what MHA does and start splitting the series up into individual seasons but it’s probably too late for that now (the best time probably would have been right at the start of the timeskip).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yeah fully recommending no one in this thread passes up on 982.
Fuckin art man

Here loving here, I cannot emphasize this statement enough. We're talking top-shelf movie quality budget animation from start to finish. I don't know who this lady animator is but i'm going to start stanning for her hard, god drat what a banger.