Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I found that guys videos pretty interesting in a "how the sausage is made" kinda way, but I definitely soured on him when I found out his early videos would feature a "police brutality and tackles set to music" compilation as the intro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

but yeah, This crime was horrible and all and that dude doesn't deserve any sympathy. But it's hilarious to see the detectives fail over and over again with each technique until he is tryings stabler type bullshit on him.

It's a horrible crime, yeah, I just like how you can see the veneer of "skilled professionals" that even the videos try to give off about interrogation detectives falls away when they can't find a simple way to gently caress with someone. The video narrator doesn't really comment on it other than calling it a "remarkable case" still, so you can see some of the bias leaking through. The other interesting one is where cops arrested a black man because he happened to be near a crime, even though the description of the suspect from the police call was "a small white man" and the narrator is like "This detective either didn't do his due diligence or for some reason, the detective decided to ignore the description of the suspect :shrug:"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BemHqUqcpI8

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Alaois posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x2NaGkl6BI

this is the best JCS video by far because its a dude the cops arrested on a bullshit armed robbery charge who would say he's ready to confess, get brought in to the interrogation room so they'd have to get him a can of coke and then just refuse to talk until they put him back in his cell and then a few hours later do the exact same thing over and over again

Sort of makes me think of Henry Lee Lucas lol, he was already getting life in prison for killing like 10 people, but as terrible as that is, he's mostly better known for the also lovely but funny in isolation 100+ different murder "confessions" he then tried to cop to once already in prison, mainly because at the time you'd get a really nice meal, TV privileges and all this other stuff during confession interviews, so he'd hear about another chance to "confess" to a killing or something, do that, go get a steak and a soda and trudge through the interview, get sent back to his cell, then a couple days later "C/O, I'M READY TO CONFESS" and they had to humor him. He's specifically why they stopped doing nice things for confession interviews.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Famethrowa posted:

I found that guys videos pretty interesting in a "how the sausage is made" kinda way, but I definitely soured on him when I found out his early videos would feature a "police brutality and tackles set to music" compilation as the intro.

Yeah, his early videos aren't exactly great but his new channel and new videos seem like decent enough analysis on the why the interrogations went the way they did. Idk, True Crime is an ethical minefield. It's not like this dude is Sword and Scale or one of the other ghouls.

Alaois posted:

this is the best JCS video by far because its a dude the cops arrested on a bullshit armed robbery charge who would say he's ready to confess, get brought in to the interrogation room so they'd have to get him a can of coke and then just refuse to talk until they put him back in his cell and then a few hours later do the exact same thing over and over again

This dude is a champion.
"Where's my candy bar you promised?"
"We said we'd see what we can do."
"Take me back!"

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Alaois posted:

i like how the pigs are clearly intent on basically torturing the guy by making him go through withdrawal until he cooperates (read, confesses)

and by "like", i mean acab

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I find JCS's interpretations of why the people act the way they do to be suspect at times, but they do point out things I wouldn't have noticed. Like how when Nikolas Cruz has pretending to hallucinate, he looked everywhere in the room except directly at the camera.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

this crime video stuff is a bit voyeuristic innit

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Kim Justice posted:

Hbomb and Contra both have active pages and they do update on how things are going, do streams, bts content and what have you. I mean, neither of them make the sort of videos that you can just pump out every month and be done with it. The discourse that's bordering on "ebeggar" talk is more than a fair bit annoying.
Yeah, their videos have fairly elaborate productions for a small YouTube crew, editing, writing/rewriting, research, etc. it’s not like they’re plopping in front of a green screen or a shelf full of books/games and pumping out a half-hour video in one take.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.
If y'all are looking for content where police interactions are scrutinized and commented on, I found Audit The Audit in my recommended list. Basically, it's cops loving up, an explanation of how they hosed up, how you can protect yourself, and sometimes, there's retribution for the cop that hosed up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnc2hgSPZOE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu8810MIowY

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQwR1CSqMe0 NEW WHEEL OF THE WORST!

And that first video. Why is it so familiar? Im sure ive seen it before.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kim Justice posted:

Hbomb and Contra both have active pages and they do update on how things are going, do streams, bts content and what have you. I mean, neither of them make the sort of videos that you can just pump out every month and be done with it. The discourse that's bordering on "ebeggar" talk is more than a fair bit annoying.

Heck, one assumes at this point the people who are still paying Spoony $300 a month have made that conscious choice to do so go with God.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

BigRed0427 posted:

Taaaaaaaaaake oooooooooon meeeeeeeeee!

Take! On! Me!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ariong posted:

I find JCS's interpretations of why the people act the way they do to be suspect at times, but they do point out things I wouldn't have noticed. Like how when Nikolas Cruz has pretending to hallucinate, he looked everywhere in the room except directly at the camera.

yeah. like some of the stuff he says is dumb but i like more listning to the actual tapes from semi famous cases like the chud who shot up the car full of kids and murdered one because of music and you can hear him evovle his story in real time to try to make an attempt at stand your ground and such.

volts5000 posted:

If y'all are looking for content where police interactions are scrutinized and commented on, I found Audit The Audit in my recommended list. Basically, it's cops loving up, an explanation of how they hosed up, how you can protect yourself, and sometimes, there's retribution for the cop that hosed up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnc2hgSPZOE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu8810MIowY

thanks for the recomendations.

Acute Grill posted:

Yeah, his early videos aren't exactly great but his new channel and new videos seem like decent enough analysis on the why the interrogations went the way they did. Idk, True Crime is an ethical minefield. It's not like this dude is Sword and Scale or one of the other ghouls.

this. like i prefer the ones that talk about the genuinly hosed up crimes that are pretty open and shut and not just the usual case of "cops take in some dude and try to make him some drug kingpin because they plant weed on him" or "cops just pin murder on local weirdo and or black man".

i always suggest last podcast on the left because they tend to be pretty harsh on bad police poo poo and also talk about hosed up poo poo on general, their first like 50 episodes kinda suck because its mostly them loving around and henry being edgy but they are way way way way better now and actually pretty progressive in most areas.

i used to like sword and scale dude but alot of his episodes are pretty tateless at best and now its just chud poo poo. the last one i listened to was him practically defending some dude who murdered his wife because "women am i right" type bullshit.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
If nothing else, you should definitely listen to the incel guy go from "my lawyer has advised me to not answer that question" to "so I was radicalized on the internet and ran over people for ideological reasons" once the cop says "chads"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQwR1CSqMe0 NEW WHEEL OF THE WORST!

I think Brad Jones did a video about it many years ago.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I think Brad Jones did a video about it many years ago.

Yeah Jones Cinema Snobed it back in like 2016 or so

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Ariong posted:

Dude has some major post-hoc bias; he knows the outcome of every case and then justifies every action the suspect does based on that. He's got stuff where it's like "the suspect did ____, a clear sign of guilt" and then another suspect with a clear sign of guilt for not doing the same thing. Are there some good observations in there? Yes, but this guy is really missing his calling as a psychobabble witness for the prosecution.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

It still amazes me regularly that loving Last Podcast On the Left, the pee pee doo doo podcast where a comedian, a libertarian, and chop top from tcm 2 spend two hours pissing themselves laughing over potentially racist accent bits and got its start at loving Creek and the Cave, somehow managed to be the most well balanced, insightful, well researched, and politically correct true crime podcast left standing after the genre boom

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Because they own that’s why.

Also their red rocks show was amazing because they got over a thousand people to watch someone cut their nipple off lmao.

I love them so much.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

It still amazes me regularly that loving Last Podcast On the Left, the pee pee doo doo podcast where a comedian, a libertarian, and chop top from tcm 2 spend two hours pissing themselves laughing over potentially racist accent bits and got its start at loving Creek and the Cave, somehow managed to be the most well balanced, insightful, well researched, and politically correct true crime podcast left standing after the genre boom

LPotL is great at keeping that level of intrigue that you'd normally get from some random true crime show while pointing out that most of these serial killers aren't brilliant masterminds, they're dumb idiots who are extremely lucky and/or the local cops are incredibly incompetent and basically let the killers slip out of their hands time and time again. Hell, they might be the only ones I've ever watched or listened to that say that

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

https://twitter.com/pookleblinky/status/1412752477192081409

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Shinji2015 posted:

LPotL is great at keeping that level of intrigue that you'd normally get from some random true crime show while pointing out that most of these serial killers aren't brilliant masterminds, they're dumb idiots who are extremely lucky and/or the local cops are incredibly incompetent and basically let the killers slip out of their hands time and time again. Hell, they might be the only ones I've ever watched or listened to that say that

A bunch of them are always entirely at fault for getting caught too, by one incredibly dumb gently caress up or another, when they likely wouldn't have gotten caught or at least anywhere near as soon if they hadn't.

Jeffrey Dahmer making it so far in particular was a huge cops loving up situation though, it's insane to read how he skirted by more than once in extremely caught red-handed situations. Like reminder that one of his victims actually escaped his apartment after having a hole drilled in their fuckin head, made it outside to the front of the building, butt naked and bleeding, some local women were trying to help him when Dahmer gets back and the cops they called show up, the cops shove off the ladies and Dahmer tells them they were having like a lover's spat, to which the cops essentially go "Heh fags" and help Dahmer walk this 14 YEAR OLD BOY back to his room.

Oh and of course, no big deal bro.
"John A. Balcerzak (born April 15, 1957) is a former police officer from Milwaukee, Wisconsin who served as president of the Milwaukee Police Association (the police union for Milwaukee officers) from 2005 to 2009. Balcerzak first gained national attention in 1991, when he was fired for having handed over an injured child to serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer, despite bystanders' protests. He appealed his termination and was subsequently reinstated. Balcerzak retired from the Milwaukee Police Department in 2017."

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jul 11, 2021

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Still reeling in amazement at how what it took for BTK to finally get caught was him going to the police and asking “hey, just hypothetically, if someone printed a message from printer X, could you guys trace it to the specific printer” and then going and printing a message on his printer to send to those same cops

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Shinji2015 posted:

Lpotl have always had a healthy disrespect for the police, and they've come a long way from their earlier episodes where they just, like, played 911 calls or the unexpurgated Jonestown tapes. Parks does a ridiculous amount of research now.

Also I remember MFM being very much "gently caress the police" as well, though not nearly as well researched.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Still reeling in amazement at how what it took for BTK to finally get caught was him going to the police and asking “hey, just hypothetically, if someone printed a message from printer X, could you guys trace it to the specific printer” and then going and printing a message on his printer to send to those same cops

Oh no it's even funnier, he was putting his writing on a floppy disk to give them after asking in a note if floppy disks could be tracked or used for his crazy notes, then of course wasn't a computer genius, so when he sent it to them they found a background data document still on it from the church computer he used, which not only had the name of his church, but of course he was part of the council there and the last edit was from 'Dennis', IE Dennis Rader.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Cool thing about the last pod boys is that while they said and made some problematic jokes they never sit there today and whine about not being able to make jokes any more like a lot of comedians. They just make their jokes. If they gently caress up, someone will yell at them and they’ll apologize. Not even in a angry way either!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
why is there just an endless supply of homemade unintentionally creepy clown videos

where are they all coming from

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
like I sort of feel bad for clown enthusiasts because something is apparently wrong with them that makes them not understand how offputting and uncomfortable the whole clown thing is. everyone else besides some tiny percentage of the population understands this but every 10,000th person or whatever both doesn't feel it and isn't socialized to understand that other people feel that way and it's a losing battle, you'll never rehabilitate the public image of clowns and you shouldn't try

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

clowns are good, a net positive concept for society imo

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

IronicDongz posted:

like I sort of feel bad for clown enthusiasts because something is apparently wrong with them that makes them not understand how offputting and uncomfortable the whole clown thing is. everyone else besides some tiny percentage of the population understands this but every 10,000th person or whatever both doesn't feel it and isn't socialized to understand that other people feel that way and it's a losing battle, you'll never rehabilitate the public image of clowns and you shouldn't try

That's why they're cool tho.
Don't know why they need all that hair tho.Their face paint owns.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

also to be clear the fear of clowns is distinctly a Western thing, there was an interview back when Arms was first released where the devs were like 'yeah we made a clown fighter and suddenly all the Americans were all upset and scared and I feel like we learned about one of America's weaknesses that day' or w/e (like, jokingly, obviously)

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

also worthikids has been doing great work rehabbing the image of clowns. wire was a whipass animation

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Mix. posted:

also to be clear the fear of clowns is distinctly a Western thing, there was an interview back when Arms was first released where the devs were like 'yeah we made a clown fighter and suddenly all the Americans were all upset and scared and I feel like we learned about one of America's weaknesses that day' or w/e (like, jokingly, obviously)
Really? Cause the only reaction I remember to the clown character was jokes about fetish stuff cause she inflates.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Smash dodged a bullet there either way.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Terrible Opinions posted:

Really? Cause the only reaction I remember to the clown character was jokes about fetish stuff cause she inflates.

paraphrased from a youtube Q+A with the ARMS producers

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Clownphobia is one of the dumbest phobias. Clowns aren't scary no matter how much you try to justify it with uncanny valley or whatever else.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Thats just how phobias work man.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

8one6 posted:

Clowns aren't scary no matter how much you try to justify it with uncanny valley or whatever else.

John Wayne Gacy very likely did some lasting damage.

And I mean IT is right there.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1414131330376339458

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Clowns aren't scary but they do gross me out because face paint grosses me out