Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1413649750134599681

:stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Coming home from Black Widow. Not too shabby. Certainly scratched that Marvel Movie Itch. I think there's at least one or two more Marvel movies this year.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

lmao'ing at Conor McGregor

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Alaois posted:

lmao'ing at Conor McGregor

Has he won a fight in the last 5 years?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Has he won a fight in the last 5 years?

his last win since 2017 was against Donald Cerrone in January of last year

Donald Cerrone who's last 6 fights were 5 loses and 1 no-contest

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

BlindSite posted:

Lou Diamond Philips owns.

He was good as Richie Valens in that biopic. :shobon:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Silly Burrito posted:

Coming home from Black Widow. Not too shabby. Certainly scratched that Marvel Movie Itch. I think there's at least one or two more Marvel movies this year.

Saw it too, appreciated that it felt not so much like a Marvel movie. Also that is probably the worst villain of any Marvel movie considered he's a child trafficker.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Possible NMS video and medical break down of the McGregor injury

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLfbuTZTynw

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Leperflesh posted:

:respek: enjoy the several dollars of taxpayer money you receive in interest my friend
Do I set that up through Vanguard or something else?

I am a novice that sets it and forgets it. If there's somewhere in BFC to point me towards that would be cool too.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The McGregor injury is gruesome but not the worst I've seen. Then again I've seen a lot of NFL injuries so I'm probably desensitized to this sort of thing...

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The MMA leg break earlier this year was worse IMO but I want nothing to do with those videos.

Speaking of horrific poo poo,

https://twitter.com/laurenpeikoff/status/1414089427924684803?s=21

loving yikes

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Tbh black widow taught me 3 things

1. I'm in love with Florence pugh and I'll fight Zac braff just to hold her hand.

2. Old mate from that lovely netflix show with the kids owns and he should be in everything

3. The new crop of marvel writers loving suck so, so, so bad because the whole plot was stupid af and the dialogue was horrendous

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Watching the sumo wrestling in 4K is a wonderful thing.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

harperdc posted:

Watching the sumo wrestling in 4K is a wonderful thing.

The impact they collide with is insane. Every single time it makes me wince.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

BlindSite posted:

The impact they collide with is insane. Every single time it makes me wince.

Dudes are throwing little headbutts and it’s making me real worried for their long-term health.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

harperdc posted:

The MMA leg break earlier this year was worse IMO but I want nothing to do with those videos.

loving yikes

Jesus that's a lot of weaponry...

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

harperdc posted:

loving yikes

That is horrifying.

quote:

One of the suspects arrested Friday night had posted a message on Facebook referencing a recent divorce and saying he was going to “go out in a big way,” according to the multiple law enforcement sources.

:stonk:

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
That sound you hear to the east is the pubs opening in England and a stupendous amount of alcohol being consumed

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
https://twitter.com/latestinspace/status/1404165966725066756

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

This is how we get giant kaiju monsters from outer space.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

PLEASE LOOK AWAY, THERE IS NOTHING BEING PORTENDED HERE

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Uh oh, the Michael Jackson robot is about to appear.

(only Genesis kids will get this)

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Bullshit, I know a blue sky laser when I see one; I been to the movies

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Did it look vaguely like a hedgehog?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

General Dog posted:

Bullshit, I know a blue sky laser when I see one; I been to the movies

Its actually a Jewish Space Laser.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

The airport is a constant reminder that people are really, really dumb.

And social distancing is completely gone. I'm standing way out of the way and people keep coming up and standing literally right next to me.

e: like close enough that that I literally just turned and accidentally elbowed a guy.

Dango Bango fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 11, 2021

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Android Apocalypse posted:

I'll never forget seeing an SNL Mother's Day special and learning Rob Schneider is 1/2 Filipino, which made me go "That's who I get for representation in Hollywood?!?"

Then I found out Lou Diamond Phillips is Filipino and I was "…A'ight. He coo'."

You also have Lea Salonga, who is really really cool.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

shirts and skins posted:

That sound you hear to the east is the pubs opening in England and a stupendous amount of alcohol being consumed

the faintest whispers of "it's coming 'ome" and "three lions" on the breeze

kind of pissed kickoff is 4 am my time

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

That’s just Angel Bros playing some beer pong

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
https://twitter.com/sherrifflucy/status/1413907624819494912

T-Square
May 14, 2009

So is there any concrete knowledge on covid boosters yet, or are they still figuring that out?

I’m curious if I got the J&J vaccine back in March if I could go get a Pfizer or Moderna this fall or something, or if that would give me some hosed up lovely mutant super powers :v:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

T-Square posted:

So is there any concrete knowledge on covid boosters yet, or are they still figuring that out?

I’m curious if I got the J&J vaccine back in March if I could go get a Pfizer or Moderna this fall or something, or if that would give me some hosed up lovely mutant super powers :v:

Nothing concrete, although I read that Pfizer is recommending a booster while the FDA and CDC are saying no. It’s probably just too early to know since even people in the trial runs of the vaccine aren’t even a year in yet.

My guess is that a booster will be needed at the year mark, but I’m just guessing. I’m not a doctor or anything. If we could get more people vaccinated then we could actually beat the disease. Instead it’s going to hang around for eternity and the COVID shot will become yearly like a flu shot.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

T-Square posted:

There is an indication that mixing-and-matching vaccines could produce a stronger immune response, but the trials are still limited in scale: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01359-3 However, with most of the large population centers in the US hitting pretty high vax benchmarks I think it probably makes sense to send as many vaccines to the developing world. If we can limit the areas where variants can develop it makes things safer for everyone.

Freaquency fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 11, 2021

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

T-Square posted:

There are heterogenous trials going on right now. TWIV covered the J&J + mRNA question last week and their diagnosis was "unlikely to harm, unclear if it will help." The reason it is unlikely to harm is because people who were vaccinated abroad with e.g. AZ (another adenovirus vector, like J&J) are instructed by the CDC/FDA to be fully revaccinated with two shots of an mRNA in order to meet any vaccine requirements imposed by employers.

The main booster question, as I understand it, is 1) whether the 'original' mRNA vaccines, given in another dose, will help provide enhanced protection against variants, or 2) whether there will need to be variant-specific boosters. I've been reading everything I can find, listening religiously to TWIV, and I'm in the Novavax trial myself (and get regular updates/convos from the PI), and I don't believe anyone has any real idea.

The suggestive factor for (1) is that people who had COVID and one shot of an mRNA vaccine have a stronger immune response than people with two mRNA shots. But it's suggestive, not indicative. Pfizer says they will have an announcement, presumably with data, in the next week or two.

Meanwhile, Novavax is working on a pentavalent combination COVID shot + flu shot, that combines their best-in-class flu vaccine (which completed phase 3 trials last year and is in FDA review) with their COVID vaccine, which (in a two shot sequence phase 3 trial) had the most robust antibody response of any vaccine on the market.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Working EMS, we got MRNA (Pfizer) shots starting in December.

I've seriously considered riding out and getting a J&J on the side, or snagging another single MRNA shot since SC's demand has been so lovely and we seem to be flush with supply.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Got some money to throw away?

https://twitter.com/HeritageAuction/status/1413540042962841600?s=19

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

BlindSite posted:

Tbh black widow taught me 3 things

1. I'm in love with Florence pugh and I'll fight Zac braff just to hold her hand.

2. Old mate from that lovely netflix show with the kids owns and he should be in everything

3. The new crop of marvel writers loving suck so, so, so bad because the whole plot was stupid af and the dialogue was horrendous

I agree that Florence Pugh is adorable and I would very much like to be friends with her.

I thought Black Widow was pretty good but I think it really needed to be made 5 years ago. It was a bit tough to watch knowing what Natasha's fate is, though SB assures me that there are Variants thanks to Loki.

I think it's pretty lovely that Iron Man, Thor, and Cap all got tons of movies and poor Nat can't get one until she's dead. gently caress the patriarchy.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

LeeMajors posted:

Working EMS, we got MRNA (Pfizer) shots starting in December.

I've seriously considered riding out and getting a J&J on the side, or snagging another single MRNA shot since SC's demand has been so lovely and we seem to be flush with supply.

Is it that easy to just go get a 3rd shot? I know walks in appointments are available literally everywhere but won’t giving your name and ID throw up some red flag?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I know there's a lot of theories going around that the next Spider Man movie will bring about the multiverse, meaning we can start bringing back dead characters (hypothetically played by other people).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Petey posted:

There are heterogenous trials going on right now. TWIV covered the J&J + mRNA question last week and their diagnosis was "unlikely to harm, unclear if it will help." The reason it is unlikely to harm is because people who were vaccinated abroad with e.g. AZ (another adenovirus vector, like J&J) are instructed by the CDC/FDA to be fully revaccinated with two shots of an mRNA in order to meet any vaccine requirements imposed by employers.

The main booster question, as I understand it, is 1) whether the 'original' mRNA vaccines, given in another dose, will help provide enhanced protection against variants, or 2) whether there will need to be variant-specific boosters. I've been reading everything I can find, listening religiously to TWIV, and I'm in the Novavax trial myself (and get regular updates/convos from the PI), and I don't believe anyone has any real idea.

The suggestive factor for (1) is that people who had COVID and one shot of an mRNA vaccine have a stronger immune response than people with two mRNA shots. But it's suggestive, not indicative. Pfizer says they will have an announcement, presumably with data, in the next week or two.

Meanwhile, Novavax is working on a pentavalent combination COVID shot + flu shot, that combines their best-in-class flu vaccine (which completed phase 3 trials last year and is in FDA review) with their COVID vaccine, which (in a two shot sequence phase 3 trial) had the most robust antibody response of any vaccine on the market.

Another thing to keep in mind that’s touched on in the article I linked is that you get diminishing returns with each shot you get. With J&J you’ll get less immune response to repeated doses, and with the mRNA vaccines you’ll get worse side effects. If we are going to require boosters we’ll need to figure out how to balance those out, so running off and getting re-upped on your own before the science is clear on timing could actually put you at a disadvantage.