Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

BTW: Please initialize me ('Q' instead of 'Quackles') when posting to Ao3, but otherwise it's all good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E
As a bit of a preview, I prepare these posts about a week in advance. I just finished running through the first sex scene. The update itself hasn't been written yet, but to give you a taste:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Fitting that you picked an animal with no legs.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

Fitting that you picked an animal with no legs.

“I”?

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 8, 2021

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Okay, that's hilarious.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yeah, I followed this game and was really into it for a while. Nice to see it again, I really enjoyed it. I'm also really enjoying both the personal stories and the more scientific discussions on disability activism. As someone who is mentally disabled, as well as someone who's just involved with other activism, I love reading and learning more about this topic.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

GrayGriffin posted:

I'm fine with my comments being uploaded on AO3, though I would prefer you not use my full username there and just put me down as "G."

I'm going to echo this sentiment as well.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
"Her lips taste faintly of strawberries."

Can you be nostalgic for something that never occurred? I've never experienced or felt anything like this scene, yet it somehow resonates with me.

How does one relate to a romantic story from an aromantic viewpoint? (Ironically, a word that did not exist when I was in high school, wondering why and how people around me were pairing off.)

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Cobalt-60 posted:

How does one relate to a romantic story from an aromantic viewpoint?

In my case, I often find myself thinking that if I had a relationship like that in real life, I might well enjoy it too, but I have no desire to put any effort into building such a relationship and will never be the focus of anyone's affection the way it happens in the story, so I just pretend. More often, my problem is that I don't relate well when people make obviously terrible decisions because they feel driven by love, in whatever capacity. Maybe it all works out in the end for them, but I just don't see how I'm supposed to consider someone heroic, interesting, or competent if something like an attractive person makes them stop thinking properly.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Nidoking posted:

More often, my problem is that I don't relate well when people make obviously terrible decisions because they feel driven by love, in whatever capacity. Maybe it all works out in the end for them, but I just don't see how I'm supposed to consider someone heroic, interesting, or competent if something like an attractive person makes them stop thinking properly.

This has been me since I was old enough to know what love and sex were. I'm not aro/ace tho

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I know it's not there in-game, but you could almost hear the record-scratch noise right there :allears:

(Oh, and you can use anything I post both here and on AO3 :))

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Oh right, the AO3 thing. I don't really know anything about AO3, but I guess if I post something you want to link to, it's fine to go there too.

Whatever I post along those lines is probably going to be about social anxiety disorder, and even now I think it's something that needs way more visibility. If I had just known it even existed as a diagnosis at some point before my late twenties - ideally in my teens - my life could have been very different.

Cobalt-60 posted:

"Her lips taste faintly of strawberries."

Can you be nostalgic for something that never occurred? I've never experienced or felt anything like this scene, yet it somehow resonates with me.

How does one relate to a romantic story from an aromantic viewpoint? (Ironically, a word that did not exist when I was in high school, wondering why and how people around me were pairing off.)

There's some good romantic writing in Katawa Shoujo. Maybe in some routes more than others? I seem to remember something about some or all of the routes being written by different people... not sure if that's been mentioned in the thread?

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Nidoking posted:

In my case, I often find myself thinking that if I had a relationship like that in real life, I might well enjoy it too, but I have no desire to put any effort into building such a relationship and will never be the focus of anyone's affection the way it happens in the story, so I just pretend. More often, my problem is that I don't relate well when people make obviously terrible decisions because they feel driven by love, in whatever capacity. Maybe it all works out in the end for them, but I just don't see how I'm supposed to consider someone heroic, interesting, or competent if something like an attractive person makes them stop thinking properly.

This is me as well. I've had a few short flings but never anything longer than a few weeks. I definitely do feel attracted to someone sometimes, but I've never felt the butterflies in the belly feeling that others often describe

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Blanket permission for my posts, here and on AO3. I don't use the same username for fanfics, so no need to initialize me.

Psycho Lawnmower
Apr 1, 2011

For the cow-borrowing glory and infinite wisdom of Elmal! Cheese for everyone!

BurningBeard posted:

Maybe someone else wants to tackle this, but a paraprofessional would absolutely need to be there for him. Let’s set aside the problematic viewpoints that became prevalent. Authors couldn’t have known that a gross and vocal subculture would end up so front-and-center some years after the release of this work.

But isolation breeds unusual behavior. It’s a fact. A great deal of what drove me away from blind people as a community was a very pervasive awkwardness and socially unacceptable behaviors that they were never trained out of. Having attended a residential school for blind people from middle school until graduation, and having also attended public school, I was fortunate enough to have observed good models versus bad ones.

But really, this all rolls right back into the social model of disability. If you are ostracized, you don’t develop social skills. If you don’t develop social skills, you’ll remain ostracized.

And it’s hell for those of us that did. I can only speak for myself, but learning to accept the community despite its flaws took a lot of personal work on my part, not to mention some good fortune to meet other blind people I actually respected.

It’s hard, but softening toward unpleasant people like Kenji, who was likely never given a chance to become part of society in the first place, is the only way to allow him to have the agency to change. Granted, someone like that might not change, but I believe they deserve a firm, but gentle guiding hand. The world will not be kind to them without that sort of guidance.

Exactly right. I mentioned it because I’m a paraprofessional. Admittedly, also an autistic paraprofessional, which has lead to a spike in my overall anxiety, but knowing the beast and that communication is key actually helps a lot in my job.

If Kenji were my client, and this would be a conversation I wouldn’t be having on here otherwise due to the nature of medical practice and confidentiality…but let’s all go on the Magic School Bus: I feel it would be prudent to assist in physical actions where needed, ask leading questions to learn where the books came from, and when we got to the “WOMEN AGH” stuff, reframe it: ‘I understand that you feel this way-between us, right? Do you ever think how others might feel listening to you?” Model and engage, try and spur empathy through framing the viewpoint, using their own logic to make a point, etc.

And let me be clear: Given my own developmental concerns, it took me a long time and a lot of self-perspective to try and build a sense of communicative empathy that this job requires. I originally was getting services before I was approached with “Hey, your sense of communication is unlike anything our agency has ever seen. You want a job?’

I’m talking about this so I can ignore the nurse today. I’ve said all I need to say there.

For Running 101: I apologize if I misunderstood you, but when you say “you will hurt yourself” that sounds like a absolute, which always feels weird without more info. Wouldn’t the person be able to eventually work past the stress they did to make gains, or be able to push themselves harder? Far be it from me to be known for exercise outside what I do at home or at work or breaks, but I see people generally pushing themselves for hours at a time at a gym when I go with clients.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

You can absolutely work past the stresses involved with running; people run double marathons or more, after all. And people can absolutely overwork themselves in less strenuous ways.

In my experience though it's a healthy attitude to stop running when you're in pain. In running pain quickly escalates into injury.

I think we're going to see this happen with Emi.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Just for bookkeeping or whatever would it be good if you made a set phrase that people can include in their posts that gives permission? You wouldn't have to keep track of who has given permission already and you wouldn't have to ask for additional posts giving permission.

Cobalt-60 posted:

"Relate" feels kind of like the wrong word, but in only a small way. I recognize that what I'm going through isn't empathy, not really, but I still love to read romantic stories because, well, I love to see people be overcome with their passions and passions to treat another person well make more sense to me than passions to harm others. I definitely have some similar emotions - drives toward charity and generosity and so on - but they don't tend to get treated as deeply in fiction.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Tulip posted:

Just for bookkeeping or whatever would it be good if you made a set phrase that people can include in their posts that gives permission? You wouldn't have to keep track of who has given permission already and you wouldn't have to ask for additional posts giving permission.

I'm just keeping track of everyone manually in my notes. Like a pleb.

Also, reading everyone on the initial attribution thing, that can definitely happen.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Update 26: Definitions

:eng101:Welcome to Act 3; we’ve officially reached the halfway mark. Well, we’re actually more like two thirds of the way through; many of this game’s routes (Emi’s included) divide the traditional three act structure between Acts 1 and 3 and leave Act 4 as a compact finale, and her route is already shorter than most. No pun intended.

Anyway, back to :vince:
:eng101:

My head's in a spin all through Mutou's class.

I'm going to have dinner.

With Emi.

Who wants to be my girlfriend, no less. A date...

And then she kissed me. That kiss.

I keep going back to it, playing it over in my mind again and again. Everything about that moment felt so right. My mind drifts off, lost in thoughts of Emi.

MUTOU: "Nakai? Hello?"

It seems like I've drifted a bit too far.

HISAO: "Huh? What?"

MUTOU: "Egad! You've contracted some kind of amnesia! Someone get the nurse!"

The class chuckles at Mutou's antics.

HISAO: "Sorry, sir."

MUTOU: "Hmm, won't happen again and all that, right?"

HISAO: "Exactly."

Mutou brightens considerably.

MUTOU: "Well! Lovely to hear! I'd hate to have my star pupil slacking off, after all."

I've been doing well, but I hardly qualify as a star pupil, I think. I'm fairly certain that this class is the sort that everyone does well in. It's just memorizing formulas. True to my word, I manage to pay attention for the rest of the class.

(Silence, Bell Ringing)

MUTOU: "Nakai, may I have a word with you?"

I wonder if I'm in trouble for earlier.

HISAO: "Uh, sure. Am I in trouble?"

Mutou looks genuinely confused for a moment.

MUTOU: "Beg your pardon?"

He tilts his head to one side and thinks for a moment.

MUTOU: "Oh, that! No, no, you're not in any sort of trouble. There's just a question I want to ask you."

HISAO: "What's that?"

Katawa Shoujo OST - Everyday Fantasy

MUTOU: "Nothing terrible, I was just wondering what your plans for after graduation are. Are you going to university?"

HISAO: "Yeah, I guess. I can't really see a reason not to go."

MUTOU: "Given any thought to what you'll study?"

HISAO: "Not really, no. I figure I'll come up with something when I get there."

Mutou laughs.

MUTOU: "Taking things as they come, eh? I'd argue against it, but that's how I did things when I went to university. Well, not really. I knew I'd go into a science, I just wasn't sure which one. Ended up with physics, but could just as well have gone for astronomy or what have you. Actually I did go for chemistry first, but there were all sorts of things..."

Mutou trails off, and frowns slightly. It takes a minute for him to recover his train of thought, and I wait patiently for him to continue.

MUTOU: "So anyway, I did a lot of physics as well, because I had an interest in that, but I wasn't sure if it was for me. So I went back to chemistry, and here we are. Yes?"

He smiles at me enthusiastically, as if waiting for me to confirm that yes, here is were we are. Somehow I get the feeling that Mutou had a plan for this conversation, but I'll be damned if I can figure it out.

HISAO: "I'm sorry, I'm not following you."

Mutou frowns and rubs his chin a bit, looking perplexed. He then snaps his fingers as if he's remembered what the point of all this was.

MUTOU: "Right! Yes! You!"

HISAO: "Me?"

MUTOU: "Yes! You should look into studying one of the sciences! You're fantastic at it. Unless you'd rather just go into math."

Mutou makes a sour face.

MUTOU: "Not a big fan of straight math. I always liked the experiments more than the proofs."

HISAO: "You're saying I should study science at university?"

Mutou seems thrown off balance by my question.

MUTOU: "Well, sort of. You could also join the science club! Trouble is, there's not actually a science club. But there could be! You could even be a charter member! A founding father! Of course, you'd need to find other members. Well, only if you wanted to. We could just start it up with the two of us. And um. I could give you things to read, and we could talk about them. Er, and I could help you get ready for university and such as well. Wait!"

Mutou rummages around in his briefcase and tosses me a book.

MUTOU: "Read that. If it's interesting, then we can talk about it."

“A Brief History of Time?” I don't know if I actually want to read this, but Mutou seems pretty excited about it.

HISAO: "What's it about?"

MUTOU: "Time. Space. Space-time. Black holes and such. And it's not that dense. Just to see if that sort of thing's interesting for you, you understand. Hang around after class, and we can either discuss it, or I can show you how to make explosives in the lab."

He waves a hand at my quizzical expression.

MUTOU: "Joking, sorry. Still, I've kept you here long enough for now. Think about science as a career path, Nakai. I think you'd enjoy it."

HISAO: "Uh, okay. I will. Thank you for the book."

(Silence)

I leave the classroom and look up at the clock; quite a chunk of time to kill until Emi's out of practice. Guess I'll give this book a look; I should probably shower as well. Showering before a date's only proper, right? I head back to the dorms. I wonder where I'm supposed to meet Emi, anyway. She said “after practice,” but she didn't say where I should find her. I guess I can just swing by the track; that's probably best, anyway. If she needs a shower, I can just wait for her in her room or something. Or in the hallway, I guess; that would be better as well. I take a quick shower, remembering to take my medication once I hop out. Now, for a look at this book.

Katawa Shoujo OST ~ Passing of Time

:eng101:The screen shakes. :eng101:

I wake with a start. poo poo! What time is it? A glance at the clock reveals that I've been asleep for nearly an hour.

HISAO: "Thank goodness."

Emi's practice should be finishing up soon. I throw on some casual clothes and head for the track. Somehow I get the feeling we won't be doing anything fancy for dinner. Emi doesn't strike me as a very fancy sort of person. Still, I suppose there's a lot I have yet to know about Emi. Despite our newfound closeness, I still feel like I don't know her as well as I should. Ah well, I have lots of time to fix that. To be honest, I'm looking forward to getting to know her more. I'm so caught up in my own thoughts that I hardly register that I'm already at the track.

Emi is nowhere to be found. I don't even see any signs of the track team. This could be embarrassing. I turn to head toward the girl's dormitory when I hear a shout.

EMI: "Hey, Hisao!"

Katawa Shoujo OST - Standing Tall (Emi’s Theme)

I turn around to see Emi making a beeline for me with a gym bag slung over her shoulder. She's changed into some decidedly more casual clothing; a pair of shorts and an olive green top. Her running blades have been replaced by more realistic-looking legs that probably wouldn't fool anyone. Emi doesn't seem to care about that, a fact which makes me smile.

EMI: "Hey, you came!”

EMI: “I mean I figured you would, but still..."

I suddenly find myself wrapped in a rather affectionate hug, and it proves to be impossible for me to keep what must be the world's largest grin off my face.

HISAO: "Well, of course I came! I'd be crazy not to, right?"

Emi ponders for a moment.

EMI: "You know, that's true. I mean I'm pretty amazing, after all."

I shrug in response.

HISAO: "I certainly think so."

It's an offhand remark, which is why I'm surprised to see that it seems to have caught Emi by surprise. She blushes and smiles warmly at me before planting a kiss on my lips. Now it's my turn to be surprised. Emi steps back, resting her weight on her back heel, looking pleased with herself. My brain fumbles for an appropriate response.

HISAO: "... I should compliment you more often."

Emi laughs and gives me a playful shove.

EMI: "Jerk."

I throw an arm around Emi's shoulders and am pleased when she immediately leans into me as if it were the most natural thing in the world.

HISAO: "So, where to?"

EMI: "I'm not actually sure. Where do people go on dates around here, anyway?"

That's a damned good question.

HISAO: "I've got no idea. Why don't we just head down to the Aura-Mart and grab something portable?"

Emi's face brightens at this idea.

EMI: "A picnic! I think you're on to something, Hisao."

Emi snakes her arm around my waist, and we begin to head for the front gate. I'm entirely unsure of what I'm meant to do in this situation, but at least Emi seems to be equally clueless. Despite the relaxing feeling of being with Emi, I still can't help feeling a little tense. What if I do something wrong? I'd hate to make an rear end out of myself.

The trip to the Aura-Mart is accompanied by Emi's chatter about how practice went. I keep quiet for the most part, merely enjoying the warmth of being around Emi. We get a few odd looks from passersby, but I don't mind. We wind up buying some bread and instant noodles, realizing too late that we cannot actually cook the latter in the park.

EMI: "Oh well. I'll make it for lunch or something."

HISAO: "That'll work."

(Silence)

The park is located after a brief loss of direction that I blame entirely on Emi. She, of course, blames me. We find a spot beneath a tree and sit down. I lean back against the trunk, Emi sits across from me.

Katawa Shoujo OST - Ease

HISAO: "I guess we should have brought a blanket or something to sit on, huh?"

Emi shrugs.

EMI: "I don't mind."

HISAO: "Neither do I."

Emi tosses me a package of bread and we dig in. Curry bread. Interesting. I guess I wasn't really paying attention to what I grabbed in the store.

EMI: "Hey, Hisao. You look like your bread's a little spicy."

I shake my head, trying in vain to keep an image of manliness.

HISAO: "Nah, it's hardly spicy at all."

EMI: "I see, I see. That must be why your face has gotten so red."

HISAO: "Yes, exactly. The lack of spice has uh... gotten my blood up. Because of the disappointment."

Emi laughs and swallows the last of her bread.

EMI: "Well, if you can't handle it, I'll be glad to take it off of your hands."

HISAO: "Hey, just because you wolfed down yours so quickly doesn't mean I'm just going to give you mine."

Emi mock-pouts, causing me to nearly choke on my bread with laughter.

EMI: "Aw, come on Hisao!” Aren't you supposed to be concerned with making sure I've got enough to eat now? We're dating, you know! Though..."

Emi looks troubled all of a sudden.

EMI: "I can't say I feel any different."

HISAO: "Hmm? What do you mean by that?"

EMI: "What makes this a date? It's just what we would have done anyway, really. But this should feel different because before when we had lunch we were friends, and now we're a level above friends."

HISAO: "You sound like Rin."

Laughter escapes, and Emi grins.

EMI: "Well, she might've put the thought into my mind. We've talked about that sort of thing before."

HISAO: "Really? About me?"

EMI: "Not really. Just... stuff, really. Rin thinks that the change of a label from “friend” to “girlfriend” seems arbitrary most of the time. Like there's no difference between the two."

HISAO: "I can think of at least one, you know. You don't tend to kiss your friends quite as much."

For the second time that day, Emi blushes slightly and giggles.

EMI: "I suppose you're right."

HISAO: "Exactly. I'm always right about things like this."

Emi rolls her eyes and chuckles.

EMI: "Guess you're pretty smart, huh?"

I nod in agreement.

HISAO: "Yep. Even Mutou thinks so. He thinks I should go into some scientific study after graduation."

Emi raises an eyebrow.

EMI: "Oh really?"

HISAO: "Yeah, I'm thinking I actually might do just that."

Really, the more I consider the idea, the more it appeals to me. I make a mental note to look into it a little more closely.

HISAO: "So what are you thinking of doing after graduation? Still planning on running?"

:eng101: Breaking out new sprite variations left and right here. :eng101:

Emi shrugs, seeming almost a bit hesitant.

EMI: "I dunno. If I'm good enough and I can find a team, I guess?"

HISAO: "You mean you aren't sure?"

EMI: "I haven't... really thought about it, to be honest."

HISAO: "Really? You probably should, you know. Graduation isn't that far off."

Emi fidgets a little nervously.

EMI: "Yeah, well... it's far enough, right? Besides, I've got other things to think about."

There's a mischievous flash behind Emi's eyes, and I suddenly find myself gloriously pinned against the tree.

EMI: "Like making sure this is a real date, right? I mean if we don't kiss then it's not a date at all, right?"

HISAO: "I suppose s— mmmph."

Strawberries and curry. Not the best combination, but I don't think I mind. Emi sits back on my legs and grins again.

EMI: "There. Science would approve, right?"

I have the oddest mental image of Mutou nodding seriously and making a mark on some checklist. I can't help laughing at the idea.

EMI: "Well I'll admit, this is the first time I've ever witnessed a kiss met with laughter before. Should I feel offended?"

HISAO: "Heh, no, no. I'm sure science approves."

Emi beams at me, and I find it increasingly difficult to keep my brain functioning properly.

EMI: "Oh good!"

It is at this point I notice that Emi has stolen the remainder of my curry bread while I was otherwise occupied with images of teachers wielding clipboards.

HISAO: "Hey!"

Emi tries to look innocent, but considering she's just crammed the last bits of my bread into her mouth it does not appear to be working.

EMI: "Mmph? F'orry, couln't refisft."

HISAO: "Thief!"

A shrug from my companion is all I get in response.

HISAO: "You used your feminine wiles on me!"

I wasn't that hungry anyway, but I still feel that the point needs to be made. Emi seems confused by the phrase “feminine wiles,” but the understanding dawns on her features after a moment's thought.

EMI: "Wasn't anything of the sort! You were laughing! Feminine wiles don't involve laughing!"

I guess I can't argue with this.

HISAO: "That doesn't change your thievery."

Emi laughs at my injured tone and gives me a playful shove.

EMI: "Fine, you can have the instant noodles."

HISAO: "Are you kidding? That stuff's terrible! If anything, you should definitely eat it as punishment!"

:eng101:Her sprite tilts to the left. :eng101:

Another laugh from the girl sitting on my legs. ...Both of which have fallen asleep by now. I twitch one leg to try waking it up, which has the unintended effect of unbalancing Emi, who falls to the side with a startled “Eep!”"

HISAO: "Whoops! Sorry about that. Legs fell asleep on me."

Emi remains on the ground, giggling. I stand up a little shakily, feeling the nerves in my legs return to normal. My eyes wander over the scenery before fixing on the figure of Emi, who has yet to get up.

Her hair is splayed out around her head, her arms are spread, and laughter is bubbling up through her mouth. Everything about Emi seems condensed into this one image. Her energy, her spirit, her childish giggling.

The urge to lay down on the grass with her rises swiftly from the back of my mind to the forefront of my thoughts, and indeed I am convinced that I would love nothing more than to do just that. Unfortunately the sun has set, and it is probably time for us to get back to the dormitories. While Emi may be happy to stay out here all night, I don't think I have that ability. Besides, homework soon beckons. It wouldn't make sense to start thinking about things like university and then slack off, would it? I extend a hand to Emi to help her up.

HISAO: "We should probably get going."

Emi makes a sour face.

EMI: "You're right."

She grabs my proffered hand, and I pull her to her feet and into a hug. This time I'm the one who kisses her, unable to resist having Emi against me.

HISAO: "Seems a shame to leave, you know."

EMI: "Yeah, it does. But if we don't get back to the school soon, we'll probably get into trouble."

Emi pokes me in the ribs playfully.

EMI: "And you need to do your homework, I'm sure."

HISAO: "Sadly, you're absolutely right."

I throw my arm around her shoulders, and we make the trek back to the school, accompanied by occasional bouts of laughter as our conversation jumps from subject to subject. Everything from running, to school, to the peculiar way that one of the cafeteria workers smells.

All too soon we find ourselves outside of the girls' dormitory building.

EMI: "Well, I guess I'll be going, then."

HISAO: "I guess so, huh?"

Emi grins at me again with that mischievous look.

EMI: "Are you going to be able to survive without me?"

I laugh.

HISAO: "I'm sure I'll manage."

EMI: "How terrible! Aren't you supposed to say something like “I'll be counting the seconds you are away?”"

HISAO: "Nah, I don't think so."

Emi pulls me down into a quick goodbye kiss and steps back, looking unexpectedly shy.

EMI: "Thanks for dinner. I really had fun. Honestly, I did."

HISAO: "So did I. I think we shall have to do it again, sometime."

Emi laughs at my deadpan delivery and nods.

EMI: "See you bright and early tomorrow morning, right? You've gotta run off that bread, after all."

HISAO: "Of course. Despite the fact that you ate most of it."

EMI: "Yes, despite that. See you later, Hisao!"

(Sudden Silence)

As Emi turns to head inside, I notice something weird. Something so weird that I'm surprised I didn't notice it earlier.

She's limping slightly, favoring the left leg.

HISAO: "Hey, Emi!"

Katawa Shoujo OST - Stride

EMI: "Hmm?"

HISAO: "Is your leg okay?"

Emi looks confused, or at least fakes confusion.

EMI: "What are you talking about?"

HISAO: "Your right leg. You're limping."

There's the briefest flash of concern on Emi's face. Either she didn't want me to know, or she didn't think I'd notice - or, I prefer to think, she just didn't realize it.

EMI: "Oh, that."

She shrugs casually.

EMI: "Must've gotten knocked a little out of alignment during the picnic. No idea what would have caused that, of course."

I think back to being pinned under the tree.

HISAO: "Ah. You should have told me! We could have stopped and fixed it, you know."

Emi waves a hand airily.

EMI: "Nah, it's not that big of a deal. Don't worry about it, okay Hisao? It's fine."

Why do I get the feeling that she's convincing herself as well as me?

>Press.
>Rest.

:eng101: We could just let this rest. Hell, we probably SHOULD. Pushing like this is rude and invasive at the best of times, especially when it comes to an issue with someone’s body. Except, we know Emi’s prone to ignoring her limits and paying for it later; just look at what happened after she ran in the rain, or what she did to her leg at the track meet. You can’t exactly blame us for wanting to be sure. And really… :eng101:

Update 23 posted:

EMI: “I won't allow you to push yourself too hard."

=>Press.

:eng101:… We already know what Emi would do. :eng101:

HISAO: "Are you absolutely sure? You don't want to go ahead and adjust it before heading up the stairs? You could get hurt if you don't, right?"

EMI: "I said it was fine, Hisao. Seriously, don't worry about it. I've got some experience in these matters, after all."

HISAO: "Yeah, I suppose so."

Emi grins reassuringly.

EMI: "Honestly, Hisao, I appreciate the concern but I really am okay. Now really, I need to get going. Your attempts to keep me around are doomed to fail!"

HISAO: "Heh, of course. Just prolonging the goodbye, I suppose."

Another grin lights up Emi's face.

EMI: "Goodnight, Hisao."

HISAO: "Goodnight."

As she limps inside, I find myself hoping she's okay despite her assurances that she's fine. I think I can call this a successful first date. Hell, any day that ends with Emi pinning me under a tree to kiss me can't be bad, can it? I head back to my room, mentally thank the gods that Kenji doesn't ambush me in the hallway, and get started on my homework.

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 24, 2021

Psycho Lawnmower
Apr 1, 2011

Falconier111 posted:

Not speaking of which, it’s that time again! We are closing in on the end of Act 2, and I want to get my ducks in order before I update the OP appropriately, especially since we’ve had some real :effortless:posts over the last couple pages. Psycho Lawnmower, Violet_Sky, Dance Officer, StrangeAeon, Danakir, I’d like to include some of your posts in the OP. My dedication to oral history ethical standards is decaying over time, but it’s still intact enough that I need your explicit permission (in the thread or in a PM) to include them in the OP, and you have the right to have the link expunged at any time. You can also grant me blanket permission to archive your posts; the magic words are “permission unless requested otherwise”, or some less artificial phrasing of the same idea. Mikl, EclecticTastes, Nidoking, ChrisBTY (I think, if I read your post right), I’m planning on selecting some of your posts and you all already given blanket permission, so you don’t have to respond if you don’t want to. You all can still request I take something down or retract that permission whenever you want.

Oh yeah, sure! Standing orders to put things up from now on too, is fine as well.

As for this situation, yeah pressing was the right call. If someone isn't aware of chooses to keep up appearances, then paras and the like won't notice anything either until it is too late, and that not only affects the person, it can affect liveihoods. Of course, going to staff would make sense, but they have to dance around things...and press and respond only towards the efforts of the client, unless there is significant harm that could come from it.

This...might be one of those cases, but the language is a bit vague for me to be entirely sure.

Psycho Lawnmower fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 9, 2021

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Psycho Lawnmower posted:

Oh yeah, sure! Standing orders to put things up from now on too, is fine as well.

As for this situation, yeah pressing was the right call. If someone isn't aware of chooses to keep up appearances, then paras and the like won't notice anything either until it is too late, and that not only affects the person, it can affect liveihoods. Of course, going to staff would make sense, but they have to dance around things...and press and respond only towards the efforts of the client, unless there is significant harm that could come from it.

This...might be one of those cases, but the language is a bit vague for me to be entirely sure.

I'm actually glad you are an autistic para tbh. As a neurodivergent kid myself, my paras tried but they couldn't understand that assemblies bothered me (noise and routine disruption). In fact I was told to just suck it up and deal with it. (They didn't use those words, but you don't have much choice in things as a kid anyway.) This combined with a bunch of other things lead me to believe that my feelings were weird and didn't actually matter. I still struggle to explain my real feelings to people as an adult.

Psycho Lawnmower
Apr 1, 2011

That's rough, and I'm very sorry you had to deal with that. I hope you've found ways to reframe and communicate who you want to say, and intone the emotions you wish to express.

Feelings can absolutely be a mess-my mother and sister are both going to be going to a wedding for my cousin, and it is an affair that leads to a lot of anxiety. Not everyone can go (Covid restrictions), but because they're dealing with the tension, their runoff feeds into me.

This is happening while I'm moving into full-time work with an Agency. While trying to make sure my other clients don't feel like seeing me less won't feel like a betrayal, and planning means and methods to make sure I'm working with one, and going on-call with the other.

Suffice to say...:sigh:

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Psycho Lawnmower posted:

That's rough, and I'm very sorry you had to deal with that. I hope you've found ways to reframe and communicate who you want to say, and intone the emotions you wish to express.

It's nobody fault, really. Just a combination of things that led to things.

Weddings during Covid are rough. I know a family friend who had her wedding in August of last year. (She was pregnant and Catholic) Luckily her giant family were in kinda one big bubble so there was little issue and it was all outdoors. My mom was the photographer and she was the only outsider there.

Ghost Car
Sep 14, 2009
Slightly belatedly - it's fine with me if my comments are included in the AO3 backup, and you don't have to censor my username or anything.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Disability Corner: Prosthetic Leg Anatomy

All the Disability Corners up until this point have been kind of grim. And that’s not surprising! Being disabled can suck. But to cover something a bit more neutral (and hit up the physical disability side of things since this thread has been pretty heavily neuro), let’s talk about what goes into a prosthetic leg!

(Before we begin, keep in mind this is an overview made by someone only barely familiar with the topic. If you spot something wrong, want anything added, or know about anything I’ve missed, please speak up in the thread!)

Let’s take it from the top. Prosthetic legs come in two overall types: above- and below-the-knee, depending on the situation. Emi falls into the second category, but for those who fall into the first category, they need prosthetic knees. I’d list the types out here, but there’s at least a dozen of them with their own names, quirks, and intended uses; the knee is a hideously complicated joint already, forget the fine details of how to replace it. They range from simple hinges with locking mechanisms to help you stand up to complicated machines with pneumatics to straight up robot knees with built-in microprocessors, because if you have tons of money to blow why not become a loving cyborg. Especially if you spring for myoelectric control, which read electrical impulses sent by your nervous system and move your leg in sync :science:. But those are expensive, so while you can find some truly wild knees out there, they’re likely out of your price range.

Knees only matter to above-the-knee amputees, but sockets are at the core of every prosthetic leg; they’re the things that sit over the amputation site, metal or plastic cup (depending on the design) fitted to the leg in question. Sockets tend to be expensive and take a while to build, for good reason; the human leg is a complex creature designed to work as a whole unit and isn’t built to support a person’s weight on a residual limb. That obviously doesn’t mean using artificial legs is impossible, but they do need to be well-designed – not just to fit the specific limb, but also tweaked to avoid putting pressure on pressure points and support the person’s weight efficiently.

For most kinds of prosthetics, you also need a liner, basically a thin sock that fits over the stump; it’s there to prevent chafing and keep both the leg and the socket clean. While I get the impression that the material used in liners has to be both soft and tough, higher quality than ordinary fabric, most of the sources I found on socket construction and anatomy were on the websites of companies trying to sell you sockets and liners, so who knows if they were playing it up. It can’t hurt, though. While in theory you could just put on a liner and put it in the socket, even if it fit perfectly, the socket would slide around on the leg, creating an eventual health nightmare. So instead, most prosthetic legs use one of a few different connection techniques:
  • Shuttle-lock or pin lock: the liner comes with a big ol’ pin on the bottom that hooks into the socket, holding everything together. Compared to other systems, shuttle-locks go on quick (put it on, plug it in, go), are relatively cheap, and don’t require any kind of additional machinery. But they also just don’t fit as tightly as other kinds of sockets and will gently caress up your legs if you use them too much because of it: blisters from the friction, rashes, even bleeding and infection if you’re not careful. But then, that’s a danger with any kind of leg, prosthetic or natural, if you run too much (as Mikl’s covered).
  • Suction: the socket has a little valve in it, and as you insert your residual limb you gently put your weight on it; the pressure gradually forces all the air through the valve and out of the socket and seals it to your leg. The process is more delicate than with shuttle-locks, but the resulting fit is a lot better, and you can actually run on them. You probably shouldn’t overuse them, though; your body weight will eventually start putting too much pressure on the stump anyway, and you don’t have the same kind of support you get from the thicker liners used in shuttle-locks. But as long as you’re careful, you can get around on them just fine. Emi almost certainly uses suction sockets.
  • Vacuum: it works a bit like suction, but instead of forcing the air out manually, you hook up the socket up to a pump that gradually sucks all the air out. Vacuum sockets are made to get around on; they have all the benefits of suction sockets, plus the vacuum stimulates healing in the leg, making you way less likely to hurt yourself moving around. But they also take much longer to put on and cost more to design and use, so a lot of people seem to shy away from them.

Below that comes the pylon or shin tube, the piece of metal that connects the knee/socket (depending) to the foot. These are pretty simple, just metal rods that connect two parts of the leg with maybe some springs or bells and whistles, which would explain why nobody talks about them when talking about how prosthetic legs go together. I had to dig for a couple minutes just to find the term. Sometimes people just leave them uncovered, sometimes they wrap them in a casing that looks like a regular lower leg (to a greater or lesser extent) for social reasons, and sometimes, like with Emi’s, they blend into the final part of the prosthetic leg…

… The foot. Most prosthetic feet look like… Well, feet. The ankle is a sticking point, like the knee but less so; it’s a complicated joint that has to make sure the foot stays relatively flat on the ground no matter how you’re holding it from your body, so there are as many kinds of artificial feet as there are artificial knees, factoring in any mix of shape, aesthetics, intended use, and realism. But that’s beyond our purview, because Emi doesn’t bother with realism unless she has to go out on the town; instead, she uses running feet or blades, specialized artificial feet designed for athletic use. They come in two flavors of their own:
  • C-shaped feet: These look kind of like a C with an elongated lower part, and they connect to the pylon just behind the end of the upper part. They store energy extremely efficiently, making them good for long distance running, stuff like marathons. They do not, however, release it as efficiently as the other type, so they don’t see much use in sporting events that aren’t marathons.
  • J-shaped feet: What Emi uses. They work the pylon into the foot itself as a long bar, which curves backwards about halfway down and comes out into a broad contact surface. Being basically giant metal springs, they release energy more efficiently than natural feet and take less energy to use, giving their users an inherent advantage over competitors. Possibly. At least, that’s the justification they use whenever they ban athletes with prosthetic legs from competing in sporting events again, even though the jury is very much still out on that; who knows what mixture of shoddy science, actual science, and flat ableism goes into those decisions. They certainly won’t admit. Anyway, it’s not surprising Emi uses J-blades since all the events she competes in are about sprinting relatively short distances. Thing is? They’re actually really hard on your limbs; they put a lot of pressure on the stump (which might be part of why Emi seems prone to hurting them) and they take a lot of effort to learn how to use them (which might be part of why the speed of her rehabilitation was so shocking to the nurse). And while as far as I know we never see what her legs look like when she’s just going to class, we know from the moment we met her she uses her blades to run around in the school building. Takes stubborn effort and determination to use? Used beyond the point of reason? Really good at their job but struggle outside of specific circumstances? Yeah, sounds like her.

So, conclusions? First of all, the world of prosthetic legs is wildly commercialized. The vast majority of this information I got by filtering the advertising speak out of product lists on company websites because they’re the only places that provide overviews. There probably are better sources out there, but I had trouble finding them. Second of all, we can say Emi uses below-the-knee prosthetic legs with suction sockets and J-shaped feet, likely because suction sockets provide enough of a grip to support athletic activity without taking too long to put on and J-feet are optimized for sprinting but cause problems if you overuse them. It says a lot about the research and effort put into this game that not only did they give her the kind of legs she would realistically use, but those legs reflect deeper aspects of her character like any other good character trait.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Yeah, replacement limbs and joints are really fascinating things to study. The trickiest bit, as you mentioned, is the interface with the human body.

One really neat thing is adjacent to the topic you covered, and that is replacement hips and the like. You're replacing the ball joint and part of the bone with metal and plastic, but that metal has to actually interface with human bone at some point.

Now, normally you'd think that you want to use the strongest and most durable metal you can get your hands on. After all, doing so means that the prosthetic will last longer and won't break, right? Well, that's actually not the best idea, and that's because the human body is very adaptive. If bones don't get put under stress, then they will undergo resorption and you'll lose bone density (this happens to astronauts as well when they go without gravity). That means that at the interface of the metal and the bone of the implant, a strong metal will make the bone weak, which will quickly lead to a fracture if you happen to get hit at the wrong angle (this would typically happen during a fall). You ideally use a material with a similar strength to bone so that the bone has to take on more stress and thus doesn't get weaker.

All that is to say that every bit of prosthetics research, artificial replacement parts, etc. is endlessly complicated. I've worked on cardiac systems in the past, and the amount of things you need to do to prevent and minimize blood clots is astounding. Replacement organs that are grown with a patient's own cells also face major difficulties, and while I haven't studied them in a decade, the most major issue they had back then is that getting proper blood vessels to grow was nearly impossible. They could get leaky and crappy cancer blood vessels to grow, but that wasn't exactly useful. Your implants were essentially limited to something like a few hundred microns in thickness due to how fluid transport works.

Myoelectric systems are another amazing topic. It's not quite as clean as we would like, but it's useful enough that you can take muscles that are rarely used or are no longer relevant and get electrical signals from them to manipulate the prosthetic. Getting signals from the human body in general is also incredibly tricky. You don't want any interface where the skin is broken due to a risk of infection, so you end up with either a device that is on the surface of the skin, or an implant that will need recharging at some point and has major limits on both size and composition. Now, a noninvasive surface device sounds great, but if you're familiar with physics, you know that electromagnetic fields radiate in a sphere, and their strength degrades as the distance squared from the source. This makes it difficult to distinguish precisely where the signals are coming from on the surface (I've tried - we built EKGs on a benchtop in undergrad). It's part of why we don't use ECGs to try to control things or read minds (again, I've done labs on this, and while fascinating, you don't exactly get much useful information), and also has to do with why cochlear implants don't properly replace the full function of the actual ear. Anyway, it massively cuts down on the number of signals you can get by stimulating muscles, so you're unlikely to ever get as much control as a natural limb.

There's a lot of room for research into how nerves carry signals and how we could tap into that in order to read or send signals of our own into the brain. I worked briefly in a lab that was trying to create artificial "skin" for prosthetics that would incorporate various sensors like thermocouples, pressure sensors, etc. in order to allow for artificial limbs that could properly send feedback to the wearer (I think the plan was to provide feedback to the patient's skin).

Anyway, blanket permission to put anything I've posted here anywhere. If it's offsite, I'd prefer to be credited as DTA or some similar abbreviation though.

renessia
Mar 25, 2020

everybody's big sister

Antistar01 posted:

There's some good romantic writing in Katawa Shoujo. Maybe in some routes more than others? I seem to remember something about some or all of the routes being written by different people... not sure if that's been mentioned in the thread?

Each route was helmed by one writer, though there ended up being a couple exceptions by the end. However, everyone had a hand in everybody else's routes, particularly through their characters; if Lilly were to show up in a scene, for example, Suriko would be pinged to get his eyes on things. Lots of back-and-forths in the IRC channel.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Psycho Lawnmower posted:

For Running 101: I apologize if I misunderstood you, but when you say “you will hurt yourself” that sounds like a absolute, which always feels weird without more info. Wouldn’t the person be able to eventually work past the stress they did to make gains, or be able to push themselves harder? Far be it from me to be known for exercise outside what I do at home or at work or breaks, but I see people generally pushing themselves for hours at a time at a gym when I go with clients.

Eventually, yes; but the training programs are there for a reason, which is to keep you from pushing too far past your limits and breaking something. There are people who run double marathons, like there are people who do run-every-day streaks that last hundreds of days, but you have to be careful about it. Run streaks are, like, a couple miles per day at most, for example.

The general gist of things is: if in doubt, take it easy. Listen to your body. Pain is a signal your body sends you, and it means "please stop doing what you're doing, it's bad for us" so you shouldn't respond with "nah, it's fine" unless you're sure that it's really fine. (Like, for instance, the example I gave, that my knee hurts a bit when I start running, but it passes when I hit half a mile or so.)

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
I never noticed that Emi is balancing on the equivalent of tiptoes. I wonder if that would be harder or easier to learn than adjusting to artificial heel/toes.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

renessia posted:

Each route was helmed by one writer, though there ended up being a couple exceptions by the end. However, everyone had a hand in everybody else's routes, particularly through their characters; if Lilly were to show up in a scene, for example, Suriko would be pinged to get his eyes on things. Lots of back-and-forths in the IRC channel.

Oh yeah, that makes sense.

Maybe it's also why some routes didn't click for me as much as others. I certainly didn't think any of them were bad (like, at all) - just a personal thing, I think.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

Psycho Lawnmower posted:

There are several overtraining issues that will eventually crop up and you can't work through - muscle inflammation, tendon inflammation, bone inflammation, stress fractures etc. As Mikl said, training programs are there for a reason. Plus, if you're "pushing yourself for hours" you're often not really pushing yourself, especially at gyms where a good workout shouldn't really take more than 2 hours.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Update 27: Invisible Rock

Katawa Shoujo OST ~ Passing of Time

Katawa Shoujo OST - Nocturne

The morning is far too early for my taste. It doesn't help that I had trouble sleeping last night. There were simply too many things to think about. My mind refused to slow down. Instead I replayed the rooftop, the park, and everything else over and over in my mind. There's a small part of my mind that is still paranoid that this has all been some kind of joke. That I'll meet up with Emi at the track, and she'll act like nothing happened yesterday. Pushing these thoughts to the back of my mind, I throw on my running clothes and open the door.

Emi's waiting for me with her usual smile.

EMI: "You're late! Or at least, you're not early today. Are you tired or something?"

I find myself ruefully rubbing the back of my head.

HISAO: "Something like that, yeah. Lots to think about and all that."

Emi giggles at my mild understatement.

EMI: "Yeah, I didn't sleep that well either. I was actually glad you weren't early, 'cause I wasn't early either."

I wonder if the same thing kept us awake. The image of her weeping face passes through my mind.

HISAO: "What kept you up?"

Emi's expression falters, but she quickly notices my curiosity and forces a smile.

EMI: "Nothing important."

She's obviously not telling me something. The question is, should I press the issue? Something's clearly been bothering her for a while. I want to help her, but would it just come off as me being nosy? She's got to know I care about her, though.

HISAO: "Are you sure? If something's bothering you, I'm here to help you sort it out."

Emi laughs then, but it's not her usual laugh. There's an edge to it that seems almost bitter.

EMI: "Sort it out? I'm not sure it can be sorted out, Hisao."

An almost grim smile crosses her lips. It's like a smile of resignation.

EMI: "I don't think you could help me, anyway."

That hurts. I don't want to say that it hurts to her, but it does. Doesn't she realize I want to be there for her when things go wrong?

HISAO: "Well, I won't push you on the matter. But I'm here for you if you decide later that you'd like to talk about it. It might help."

I can see the debate raging behind Emi's eyes. It seems like she wants to tell me, but she's not sure whether or not she can.

HISAO: "Hey, forget about it for now, okay? We've got running to do."

The mention of running, something that she can handle, brings Emi back to her usual self.

EMI: "Right! Hurry up and stretch out, Hisao! We've got to get moving!"

She takes off like a shot, far quicker than I'm used to. Still, I try to keep pace with her, recklessly testing my limits. It gives me a feeling of freedom, like my heart is no longer important. I find myself wanting to laugh, filled with the feeling of moving beyond what I once called my boundaries. The nurse's warnings to not overdo things echo in my mind, and I disregard them. This feeling I have, this willingness to risk a heart attack for something so trivial as a morning run, feels out of character for me.

But is it? Or rather, should it be? I've got a weak heart, sure. It'll never be capable of the kind of speed and endurance Emi's capable of. Though I probably wouldn't be able to get that good even if I had a healthy heart.

(Silence)

As we round the final bend, I feel my legs screaming in protest, but for the first time, I ignore them. I accelerate to finish at a sprint, nearly catching up to Emi.

That was never going to happen, of course. Still, I feel surprisingly good. Oh sure, my legs feel like they're about to catch fire, and I'm having trouble staying upright.

But there's been a shift of some sort today. And it's all thanks to the girl grinning at the finish line, waiting for me.

Katawa Shoujo OST - Standing Tall (Emi’s Theme)

HISAO: "That felt a little faster than usual."

My comment is met with a grin and a shrug.

EMI: "Can't have you think I was going to go soft on you, now can I? But you managed to handle it just fine."

HISAO: "Well, I couldn't have done it without you."

Still feeling the high from the run and moved by a surge of gratitude, I seize Emi in a hug.

HISAO: "Thanks. Really, I'm not just saying that. I'm in your debt."

Emi seems flustered by my words, squirming uncomfortably.

EMI: "Don't be silly, Hisao. Someone had to haul you out here, didn't they? And it's not like you're not doing anything for me, right? I needed a running partner, remember?"

I shake my head, still pointedly not letting go of Emi, who stops squirming and merely looks up at me with a quickly deepening blush that almost seems out of character.

HISAO: "No, that's not true. You wanted a running partner, but you didn't need one. If I hadn't shown up the day after the festival, you would still run, right? But it doesn't work the other way around. I only managed to make it out a few times before the festival. And without you, I probably wouldn't have made it out at all after that.”

Emi smiles at me and prods my chest with one finger.

EMI: "You are pretty lazy, Hisao."

HISAO: "Hey, I was giving you a compliment!"

EMI: "Well... you're welcome, I guess."

HISAO: "I'll pay you back somehow."

EMI: "Oh, uh, well... That's not necessary, you know. I mean I kinda like you, Hisao. And being able to run with you in the mornings isn't exactly a bad deal for me either, so..."

For someone who gets so much praise, she seems unused to gratitude. I can't think of anything else to say, so we fall silent. I become aware of Emi's breathing, of the dampness of her clothing, and of the scent of her. Coming off of anyone else, it would stink. Coming off of Emi, it fits her in a way nothing else could. Her skin is cool, slick with sweat, and a breeze causes goosebumps to rise."

Almost without thinking about it, I lean down and meet Emi's mouth which has already moved to meet my own. Her lips are soft, and she hums happily as we kiss, sending vibrations from her mouth to mine. There's a startling rightness to everything about this moment. We fit one another perfectly. The kiss ends, and I finally let my arms drop back to my sides. Emi is smiling warmly at me, and giggles again.

EMI: "Come on Hisao, we'd better go see the nurse."

(Sudden Silence)

Then it happens.

:eng101:Her sprite bobs. :eng101:

As she turns to begin walking, she gives out a tiny yelp and stumbles forward.

HISAO: "Emi!"

Katawa Shoujo OST - Caged Heart

I leap to steady her and notice with some concern that she's favoring the same leg as last night.

HISAO: "Your leg..."

Emi seems panicked and pushes away from me.

EMI: "It's fine!"

My expression must seem hurt, because she hastens to apologize.

EMI: "Sorry! Sorry! Didn't mean to push you like that! I was just..."

She stumbles for something to say.

EMI: "It's nothing, really."

HISAO: "Hey, don't worry about it."

She's so flustered, I decide to shrug the whole thing off. But there's a cold feeling in the pit of my stomach now that won't go away. I tried to step in and help her, and she pushed me away. Smiling, I shove those thoughts to the back of my mind and concentrate on Emi.

HISAO: "I just don't want you getting hurt, that's all."

EMI: "You don't have to worry about me, honest. I'm fine!"

Yes, you say that, but I don't believe you. Why won't you tell me what's wrong? It's like she gets offended by my trying to help. What am I supposed to make of that?

(Silence)

I'm still trying to sort out what happened on the track as we arrive in front of the nurse's office. Emi raises her hand to knock, hesitates and turns to me smiling guiltily.

EMI: "Hey, can you do me a favor?"

HISAO: "Of course."

EMI: "Can you tell the nurse that I'll see him later? I just remembered that I've got some... stuff to take care of before class. So I really need to get moving."

I peer at her closely, and she fidgets under my stare. Yeah, she's clearly just avoiding the nurse. That leg of hers...

Well, whatever. I said I'd help, and so I will. But I'll make drat sure she sees the nurse before the day's out.

HISAO: "Yeah, okay. I'll let him know."

Emi looks like I've just given her a pony on Christmas.

EMI: "Thank you so much! You're the best, Hisao!"

I am rewarded for my complicity in her lie by a kiss that makes it all worth it, or so I tell myself. As Emi heads out of the building, trying hard not to let her limp show, I knock on the door of the office.

Katawa Shoujo OST - Ah Eh I Oh You

NURSE: "Ah, Hisao. Come on in. I don't see Emi with you. She's not sick again, is she?"

From the tone of his voice, I don't think the nurse is expecting me to say “Yes, she's ill.

HISAO: "Er, she said that she'd forgotten to do something, and so she had to skip out, but she'll see you later today."

The nurse heaves an exasperated sigh.

NURSE: "Honestly, that girl..."

HISAO: "Hmm?"

NURSE: "She's been avoiding me. Yesterday she was in and out of here without even taking off her prosthetics. And now this."

Well, at least it's not just me Emi doesn't want worrying. That's a... comfort, I guess. Still, I feel like I should say something about her leg. I said I'd lie for her, but she really needs to see him.

HISAO: "Now that you mention it, she was limping pretty badly today. And last night as well."

The nurse's eyes narrow at the words “last night.

NURSE: "And what exactly were you two doing last night?"

HISAO: "We were uh, on a date."

The nurse raises his eyebrows as if surprised.

NURSE: "Really? Interesting."

HISAO: "Huh?"

NURSE: "Oh, nothing."

His gaze turns thoughtful, and then he grins at me.

NURSE: "You don't think you could use some of that boyfriend charm to get her to come see me today, could you?"

HISAO: "Of course! I was planning on doing that anyway. I think she's really hurt and just pretending she isn't."

NURSE: "Hmm, yes. She does that.”

NURSE: "Afraid I'll make her stop running."

HISAO: "Will you?"

NURSE: "I don't like to, but if it's bad enough that she's been limping, well... I guess I'll have to see what's wrong for myself before I make that call."

HISAO: "I see."

Emi, not allowed to run? Perish the thought. I don't know if she'd be able to function without running. No wonder she's reluctant to admit anything's wrong.

HISAO: "Well, I'll make sure she sees you."

NURSE: "Good. Oh, and before I forget..."

He grins at me again in what feels like a vaguely threatening manner.

NURSE: "Don't forget that I know what medications you're on. You be careful around Emi, got it?"

Wow. He looks serious, too.

HISAO: "Got it. Don't hurt Emi. Wouldn't dream of it."

NURSE: "Grand! I'd hate for you to be late."

HISAO: "Huh?"

NURSE: "Late, as in the late Hisao Nakai."

He frowns briefly, dissatisfied.

NURSE: "Sounded better in my head... Well, at any rate. Get out of here before you miss your first class! You've got things to do, I'm sure. Shoo!"

As I leave, I notice the nurse pulling out his phone and dialing a number.

NURSE: "Meiko, your daughter's being a pain in the rear end again..."

I'd better head back to my room, or I really will be late.

Hey, wasn't he supposed to check my heart rate?

(:negative:)

(Silence)

The lunch bell sounds, and I bring myself out of the stupor I slipped into during the morning's classes. My lack of sleep last night, coupled with the increased pace of this morning's run, has left me a little exhausted. Despite that, I find myself skipping stairs up to the roof. There's a thrill of excitement now, in addition to the pleasure one gets from eating lunch with one's friends. True, both Emi and Rin are still my friends, but Emi has become more than that now.

Rin is back in her usual spot on the roof, almost as if she'd never been absent.

HISAO: "Feeling better, I take it?"

A raised eyebrow is my reward for speaking.

Katawa Shoujo OST - Parity (Rin’s Theme)

RIN: "Better than what?"

HISAO: "Er, better than you felt yesterday."

Rin gives my question some serious thought.

RIN: "I'm not sure. I think I might have felt rather good for some of yesterday, but it's all fuzzy."

HISAO: "Too much cold medicine?"

RIN: "Well, I was asleep. And that usually is pretty good. But I can't remember what it feels like to be asleep, because I'm not conscious for it. It's a real problem. Then again, if I knew how good it felt I might not sleep any more. But this way I keep trying so I guess that's how I can keep from being overtired."

HISAO: "An eternal mystery to keep you sleeping at night?"

RIN: "Maybe mystery's the wrong word. Intangibility might be the proper way to describe it."

No, I don't see at all. I have no idea what she's talking about, but that's okay, since I rarely do.

RIN: "Do you remember what sleeping feels like? Like yesterday, do you remember what you felt like sleeping yesterday?"

HISAO: "Well, I actually didn't get a lot of sleep yesterday."

RIN: "Hmm. Maybe that's because you remember subconsciously."

HISAO: "Actually, I think I was worrying about Emi."

RIN: "Doesn't Emi worry enough about herself?"

I hadn't considered that, but it gives me pause.

HISAO: "True, but would she ask for help if she needed it?"

Rin frowns, and I raise an eyebrow. Will I get a proper answer?

RIN: "Probably not. Is there something she should be asking for help with?"

HISAO: "Her leg, for starters."

This seems to catch Rin's interest.

RIN: "Leg?"

HISAO: "It's hurt, but she won't see the nurse about it."

Rin shakes her head in disapproval.

RIN: "You have to make her. Like she makes me go to class. For her own good. Otherwise she could lose her legs again, and that's just too weird. Losing things twice. Especially if you don't find them again to begin with. Unless prosthetics are the same as finding something. But that's a different kind of lost, isn't it?"

HISAO: "I think so."

RIN: "Hmm. I wonder..."

(Sudden Silence)

EMI: "Wonder what?"

Emi seems to have snuck up on Rin and I, though Rin doesn't seem especially surprised. Which is itself unsurprising, I suppose. Rin manages to sit herself upright quite expertly, throwing her upper body forward and using her momentum to right herself.

HISAO: "Your leg. How's it feel?"

That earns me a frown and a bit of a glare.

EMI: "It's okay, I think. Not worth worrying about."

HISAO: "Tell that to the nurse. He's quite insistent that you visit him, you know."

Emi pouts like I've just told her she's been grounded.

EMI: "He worries too much. It's not a big deal, just a little soreness."

I try to resist rolling my eyes in exasperation.

HISAO: "If it's nothing, then you should have no problem seeing him, right?"

Emi narrows her eyes suspiciously.

EMI: "Did he put you up to this?"

HISAO: "Well, maybe. A little. But that's not the point. I would have reminded you to see him anyway. It would be terrible to see you really hurt and not doing anything about it. That would make it worse, and I don't really want to see you hurt, you know? Call me crazy, but I kinda would prefer to see you happy and healthy."

With each statement, Emi's frown fades a little more, until eventually she's grinning, albeit a little shyly.

Katawa Shoujo OST - Daylight

EMI: "Well, if you're going to put it that way, then I guess I'll have to see him. Otherwise you'll keep worrying, and then I'll never hear the end of it, right?"

HISAO: "That's right. I'll keep bugging you about it, and that might put a damper on our dates. “How's the food, Hisao?” “Talk to the nurse, Emi.” “How was your day, Hisao?” “Talk to the nurse, Emi.” “Hisao, I think I'm ready to go all the w—” “Talk to the nurse, Emi.” See? It doesn't work that well."

Emi giggles at my high-pitched rendition of her own voice and gives me an affectionate shove.

EMI: "My voice isn't that high, jerk."

RIN: "I thought it was pretty accurate."

Emi and I stare at Rin for a while before I burst into laughter. Emi crosses her arms and huffs, mock-offended.

EMI: "You're both jerks."

HISAO: "Such vile calumnies from you, young woman. I'm stunned that you would call me, of all people, a jerk. Honestly, I just... I don't know what to think."

Emi sticks her tongue out at me.

EMI: "You rear end. So Rin, how's the art club these days?"

Rin, seemingly as surprised by this sudden change of topic as I am, takes a minute to think before answering.

RIN: "I believe it is okay. Although Nomiya keeps telling me to work harder. But I don't think he understands my methods."

EMI: "He always struck me as slightly creepy."

Rin ponders this statement for a while.

RIN: "I've never really noticed. But I don't pay much attention to him most days, so maybe that's why."

HISAO: "How often do you meet?"

EMI: "Thinking of joining, Hisao?"

HISAO: "What? Nah, I've already decided to join a club."

EMI: "Really? Which one?"

HISAO: "Well, it's not really much of a club, to be honest..."

EMI: "Oh, you joined the tea club?"

HISAO: "No, I uh... joined the science club... I think."

Emi looks highly confused.

EMI: "We have a science club?"

HISAO: "Er, not really. It's just me."

EMI: "Hisao, that's not a club. That's sitting in your room reading books."

HISAO: "No, I mean it's just me and Mutou. I'm just the only student so far."

EMI: "Mutou? Really?"

A thought strikes her.

EMI: "Oh, is that what you were talking about yesterday? Your meeting with Mutou?"

HISAO: "Yeah, that was our first meeting, I guess."

Emi giggles.

EMI: "Nerd."

HISAO: "Hey, I can't help being clever."

EMI: "You know, I could have used your help years ago. You should've had your heart attack earlier in life, Hisao."

I laugh, and then realize this is probably one of the very rare times I've laughed about my heart attack.

HISAO: "Hindsight..."

EMI: "Yeah..."

The ringing of the bell ends our conversation.

HISAO: "Hmm, guess we'd better go."

EMI: "Yeah, I guess so. Come on Rin, you too."

Rin has apparently begun to doze off, so Emi gives her a sharp bump.

RIN: "I almost had it."

EMI: "Sorry, but you need to go to class."

RIN: "I disagree, but maybe if I nap in class I'll get it this time. Changing location is sometimes helpful for that kind of thing."

Neither Emi or I bother asking what “it” is.

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 24, 2021

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Don't make me tap the sign, Emi :mad:

Mikl posted:

:flashfact: Running 101 :flashfact:

Do not run on unknown pain.

[...]

On the other hand, unknown pain? That can be dangerous. It could be nothing, but it could also be something serious, which will worsen and aggravate.

If you get new and unexpected pain: have it checked out by your doctor (or, preferably, a specialist) before you run on it. Otherwise, you could seriously injure yourself.

(Just for the record: yeah, I know the "talk to your doctor" advice isn't very good when it comes to countries without socialised medicine. I live in Europe and my healthcare is paid by the state, so I can just call up my doc and ask. But I understand this can be difficult elsewhere.)

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Falconier111 posted:

"No, that's not true. You wanted a running partner, but you didn't need one. If I hadn't shown up the day after the festival, you would still run, right? But it doesn't work the other way around. I only managed to make it out a few times before the festival. And without you, I probably wouldn't have made it out at all after that. Emi smiles at me and prods my chest with one finger."
The bolded part shouldn't be in the dialogue box.

Honestly, if I were in Hisao's situation here I really wouldn't know that to do. It's obvious that Emi is endangering herself by not talking about her problems, but just telling the nurse about it when she explicitly stated that she doesn't want that still feels wrong.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
I'm going to guess that once this shows up for the third time things will escalate to the crisis point. Rule of three and all.

How is the story compared to other visual novels so far? Is this a pretty typical kind of plot?

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Carpator Diei posted:

The bolded part shouldn't be in the dialogue box.

Honestly, if I were in Hisao's situation here I really wouldn't know that to do. It's obvious that Emi is endangering herself by not talking about her problems, but just telling the nurse about it when she explicitly stated that she doesn't want that still feels wrong.

Thanks man, done.

Decoy Badger posted:

I'm going to guess that once this shows up for the third time things will escalate to the crisis point. Rule of three and all.

How is the story compared to other visual novels so far? Is this a pretty typical kind of plot?

I get the impression it’s usually a LOT more formulaic. And horny; there are multiple genres of visual novel listed on Wikipedia defined by how common and how intense the sexual content is. Speaking of which: cuttlefish in a couple hours.

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 14, 2021

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Update 28: Up, Down, and Up Again

:eng101:WARNING: This post contains the LP’s first sex scene (appropriately censored, of course). :eng101:

(Silence)

As we arrive at my classroom, Emi gives me a quick kiss and heads down the hallway, Rin in tow.

Katawa Shoujo OST - The Student Council (Shizune’s Theme)

I turn to enter the classroom, to be met by the duo of Shizune and Misha.

SHIZUNE: "..."

Misha seems to be fighting a losing battle to keep from breaking into a fit of giggles while she translates Shizune's latest rant.

MISHA: "While we are pleased, nay thrilled, to see how well you've managed to make new friends and forge relationships - and with such a cutie too, Hicchan~..."

I think that last part was probably Misha.

MISHA: "We nevertheless feel compelled to politely remind you that public displays of affection are strictly forbidden - really? That's disappointing, Shicchan - by section eight of the code of conduct laid out in the student handbook."

MISHA: "In this case, however, ignorance of the law may be your excuse, as we are feeling lenient..."

MISHA: "...and the paperwork required to punish the both of you would only add to the already mountainous volume of work which confronts us, the sole members of the Student Council - and besides, you two are adorable together~!"

MISHA: "Therefore consider this a formal warning, and please refrain from such displays in the future. At least when Shizune can see you, Hicchan~!"

This whole spiel is so patently ridiculous that I can't help but reply in the same pompous manner.

HISAO: "Well, I for one feel enlightened. I apologize profusely for my rash actions and will strive to contain my baser impulses which, I fear, impel me toward such inappropriate displays of public affection. It is hardly my wish to burden an already overworked Student Council with such petty matters, and will do my best to make your lives easier in this matter in the future. At least, when Shizune's watching."

This last line is delivered with a wink to Misha, who finally loses control of her laughter.

MISHA: "Wahaha~! Well said, Hicchan~!"

Chuckling a little myself, we enter the classroom.

(Silence)

Class is uneventful, and after the final bell rings, I find myself alone with Mutou again.

Katawa Shoujo OST - Everyday Fantasy

MUTOU: "So, it looks like we've all assembled for the second meeting of the Science Club. Or is it the first? What do you think, should we count yesterday as a meeting?"

HISAO: "Well, we did form the club yesterday, didn't we? That seems like club business, so we can safely call yesterday a meeting.

Mutou smiles in his usual stilted and awkward way. I wonder if the muscles in his face are just not shaped correctly to let him smile naturally.

MUTOU: "You really do have a knack for this, I think. Logical thought processes, that is."

HISAO: "I guess so?"

MUTOU: "A scientist speaks with authority, Hisao. The answer here is “Yes, I do.” When the world wants to know how it works, we tell it. Even if all we've got is a decent hypothesis. But we must sound certain anyway, because we're the authorities on the subject, right?"

He chuckles, to go along with his awkward smile at his awkward joke. I'm doing my best not to grimace, but I don't think I'm being too successful.

MUTOU: "That's entirely false, of course.”

MUTOU: "We know a lot, sure, but nobody's an expert on how the world works, if only because nobody can be sure. With no certainty, there are no experts. But we like to pretend, sometimes."

HISAO: "There's some things we can be certain of, right?"

MUTOU: "Yes... but no. We know gravity's there, for example."

To illustrate, Mutou picks up a pencil and drops it.

MUTOU: "See? Still there. But it's good to check every once in a while. That's why you'll still see researchers mucking about with gravity. We're pretty sure we know how it works, but there's always a chance that something isn't how we think it is. So you check, and check, and check. That's science in a nutshell, Hisao."

The whole time I've listened feeling rather spellbound. Mutou seems to really be passionate about this stuff... I think. It's hard to tell, sometimes. How the world works... How humans work. How the universe works. All these questions to be answered. And, depending on what I go into, maybe I could even figure out a way to fix my heart. That said, I don't think that's a real priority for me. Besides, as we start discussing the book he gave me yesterday, I find myself more and more interested in that than my heart condition. Before we even realize it, an hour's gone by.

MUTOU: "Well, let's call this meeting over for now, okay? We'll have another meeting... tomorrow, or uh... the day after."

He considers this for a moment.

MUTOU: "Call it the day after. I've got a lot of grading to do."

HISAO: "Okay. See you then."

(Silence)

As I exit the classroom, I realize that I don't really have anything to do tonight. Emi and I didn't make plans, so... I guess I'll go to the library.

It beats doing homework in my room, anyway.

Katawa Shoujo OST - Fripperies

The library always seems cooler than the rest of the building. Probably to keep the books from getting damaged by excessive heat and humidity. Books are sturdy objects, but if you want to keep them in good condition it takes a little effort. I've got several books that are so well-worn the pages are barely clinging to the spine. It seems impossible for them to still be usable, but if you handle them with care... I make my way to the main desk, where I spot Yuuko busying herself with something or another. She smiles at me as I enter and waves.

:eng101:Can’t tell if this sprite looks cute or unnatural. :eng101:

YUUKO: "Hello, Hisao. Good to see you again! What are you looking for this time?"

HISAO: "Nothing in particular, I guess. I just didn't really feel like going back to my room, is all."

Yuuko nods.

YUUKO: "Well, if you're unoccupied, maybe you could help me look for something?"

HISAO: "Sure, what do you need?"

(Sudden Silence)

Yuuko brings a finger to her lips and looks around furtively. She seems to be looking for eavesdroppers.

YUUKO: "Come closer."

I take a few hesitant steps forward while feeling distinctly unnerved. Yuuko lowers her voice to a confidential whisper.

YUUKO: "I'm on the trail of the Yamaku Cat Burglar."

HISAO: "The what?"

Katawa Shoujo OST #19 - High Tension

YUUKO: "Shh! The walls have ears, Hisao! Or they might. But listen! Those missing books, remember them?"

HISAO: "Er, yeah?"

YUUKO: "Well, they weren't missing! They were stolen! I'm convinced of it!"

HISAO: "I remember you saying something of the sort earlier, but how do you know?"

Yuuko leans in closer and, if possible, whispers even lower.

YUUKO: "Because I found one of his hiding places!"

HISAO: "You did what?"

Yuuko looks triumphant.

YUUKO: "Found one of his stashes! It was under one of the stairwells in the boy's dorm! Three books I'd been looking for, all there! I'd suspected a thief before, but this proves it!"

HISAO: "So did you take back the books?"

Yuuko looks as if I've just suggested she walk around naked.

YUUKO: "Are you nuts? He can't know I'm on to him! He might go to ground and evade capture!"

HISAO: "Uh... huh. So what do you need my help with, then?"

Yuuko casts another glance around the library and leans in closer.

YUUKO: "You've got to spy for me."

HISAO: "Spy?"

YUUKO: "Yeah, like when you're in the dorms, you know. Keep an eye out for suspicious activity."

What constitutes suspicious, anyway? I mean Kenji's a pretty suspicious dude, but I'll wager he barely goes to class, much less sneaks into the library to pilfer books. Still, what's the harm in saying yes? At the least it'll get me out of this weird conversation.

HISAO: "Yeah, I can do that. No problem."

Yuuko straightens up and claps excitedly.

YUUKO: "Great! Now, hurry up and talk about something else in case someone comes in!”

Katawa Shoujo OST - Katawa Shoujo OST - Generic Happy Music

YUUKO: "How's the school treating you?"

HISAO: "Er, pretty well, actually. I've been running in the mornings with—"

YUUKO: "Emi Ibarazaki, right?"

HISAO: "Uh, yeah. How'd you know?"

YUUKO: "I served you two in the teahouse, remember? I deduced that if you were going to run with anyone, it would probably be her."

She looks pleased with herself.

HISAO: "Impressive. Anyway, yes. We've been running in the mornings. And uh, we kinda started dating."

Yuuko claps her hands together excitedly.

YUUKO: "Really? That's great! I'll bet you two are great together! I love seeing people find one another like that, you know? I even thought to myself when you walked into the Shanghai that one time, “I wonder if that kid will wind up with one of those girls.”"

HISAO: "...Really?"

Yuuko doesn't seem to notice my somewhat weirded out tone and nods affirmatively.

YUUKO: "Yup! I could tell that you'd wind up with one of them, you know. I've got an eye for that sort of thing. Of course..."

Her expression droops slightly.

YUUKO: "I'm not so good at it myself."

HISAO: "Aw, I'm sure that's not true."

YUUKO: "Oh, it's true. I met this guy once... We got along really great, but it turned out he was younger than me. And that was kinda weird, but not terribly so.”

YUUKO: "What was really weird was that he disappeared one day, and I've not seen him since then."

HISAO: "Huh. That does seem kind of odd."

YUUKO: "Doesn't it? I hope it wasn't something I did..."

I feel compelled to reassure her.

HISAO: "I'm sure it wasn't."

(Sudden Silence, Buzzing Sound Effect)

I intend to try and calm her down further, but the both of us jump in surprise at the ringing suddenly coming from my pocket. Yuuko sighs to steady herself as I pull the phone from my pocket. I feel a little sheepish for indirectly causing the incident.

HISAO: "Emi? What's up?"

EMI: "Oh thank God I haven't called your phone before so I didn't know if this number would work or whether you would pick up and I can't—"

Katawa Shoujo OST - Stride

HISAO: "Woah there Emi, slow down. What's wrong?"

There's a pause on the other side of the line, during which I can hear Emi trying to control her breathing in order to calm down. Something's got her terribly agitated, and it's starting to agitate me.

EMI: "Can you just...”

EMI: "Can you stop by? Like, now? Or shortly after now? I really, really need to talk to you."

There's a tone of pleading in the last sentence that I don't think I've ever heard from her.

HISAO: "Of course, I'll be right there. Hold steady, okay?"

In my increasingly agitated state I've apparently started saying things that don't quite make sense.

EMI: "Okay. I'll be okay."

HISAO: "See you soon."

I press the button to end the call before slipping the phone back into my pocket, apologize to Yuuko for running off, and run off. Perhaps at some point I would have stopped to think about the time, or how suspicious it looks for a guy to enter the girls' dorm at this hour. Except right now I'm just concerned with getting to Emi and finding out what's wrong and how I can help her.

I knock on the door and am greeted with a subdued “Come in.” Something is very wrong as I stare at the scene before me. Emi's there, yes. But she's in a wheelchair. And her legs are missing. I glance around the room and see them sitting in a corner, looking like they've been thrown there.

Emi responds to my entrance with a lopsided grin that is both pleased to see me and completely, utterly heartbroken.

EMI: "Hi, Hisao."

It looks like she's been crying, but if she was, she's stopped now. I notice that I'm a little out of breath, having taken the stairs two at a time in order to get here. My heart doesn't seem to mind the strain, though. I file this happy fact away for later consideration. Like when I am not staring somewhat dumbstruck at my girlfriend in a wheelchair. Realizing I've still not responded to her greeting, my brain lurches into gear.

HISAO: "Emi? What happened?"

EMI: "Guess I should've listened to you, Hisao.”

EMI: "My leg's got a nasty infection. I'm not allowed to run on it for at least a couple of weeks."

She gives a bitter laugh that shouldn't be coming from her.

EMI: "Heh, I can't even walk on it. I could have used a crutch and kept one of my legs, but I didn't see the point. Why hop? You can't run on one leg. At least this way I can still, I dunno, roll fast or something."

HISAO: "Y-yeah, that's good, right?"

My awkward attempt to look on the bright side seems appreciated, but not really effective. Emi shrugs again.

EMI: "It's just... kind of a nuisance. I mean, we can't even eat up on the roof now. No wheelchair access."

HISAO: "Yeah, but that's not a big deal, right? I mean we can still eat together, and that's the important thing."

That lopsided grin again. It hurts to look at.

EMI: "I suppose so, yeah. But like I said, it's a nuisance. I mean, I haven't really used a wheelchair in..."

She thinks for a minute.

EMI: "Maybe seven years? Something like that, anyway. A long time. I'm afraid I'm a bit out of practice."

(Silence)

HISAO: "Well, fortunately it's only temporary, right?"

Emi nods.

EMI: "Oh yeah, of course. It's not like I've lost 'em permanently. But it's a pain in the rear end all the same."

I nod sympathetically. There's not much else I can do, after all. What am I gonna do, say “I told you so?” Although I did tell her to get that leg looked at. But by the time I noticed, it was too late anyway.

HISAO: "Do you need help with anything? Er, that is, can I help with anything?"

Emi shakes her head and there's a bit of her usual grin back.

EMI: "Nah, I can manage fine by myself. Although if you want to help me over to my bed, it would save me the trouble of rolling over there myself."

I blush, in spite of myself.

Katawa Shoujo OST - Letting My Heart Speak

Emi giggles.

EMI: "You're such a prude, Hisao."

HISAO: "I'm not a prude! I just wouldn't want to take advantage of a young woman such as yourself. It's ungentlemanly."

I wheel Emi's chair to her bed, and easily scoop her up and deposit her there. She quickly sorts herself out and sits on the side. She's actually a little heavier than she looks. It would be rude of me to observe this aloud, of course.

HISAO: "Man, you're kind of heavy."

(Smack!)

Emi hits me with a pillow.

EMI: "rear end."

HISAO: "Just sayin', is all. Must be all that running."

At the mention of running Emi's grin falters slightly.

EMI: "Heh, well I guess I won't have to worry about that for a bit, huh? Maybe I'll lose some weight."

HISAO: "That's what you do to lose weight, right? Cease physical activity?"

EMI: "I'm pretty sure that's what the nurse would recommend."

HISAO: "Speaking of which, are you going to still be showing up in the mornings? I'd hate to run alo—"

EMI: "Ah, poo poo..."

Emi's sudden interjection, more a disquieted muttering than anything too profane, causes me to look over in shock. She's leaning forward, trying to cover the fact that she's crying by covering her eyes with a hand. Of course, the subdued sobbing makes it pretty obvious that she's crying.

HISAO: "Hey, I'm sorry. Forget I said anything, okay?"

I place a hand gingerly around her and pull her close. I can think of nothing else to say or do. How do you comfort someone who's just lost their legs again? Emi wraps me in a hug and stays that way for a while.

HISAO: "Sorry. I'm pretty bad at this whole comforting thing, I guess."

EMI: "Don't say that. I'm fine, really."

Her voice is slightly muffled by my chest. I pat her head reassuringly.

HISAO: "That's the spirit, right? You'll get through this fine, I know it. Besides, I'm here to help you, remember?"

Emi lifts her head and stares at me with tear-stained eyes.

EMI: "Can you? Can you really?"

She's grinning lopsidedly, and something sparkles in her gaze. I can't tell if I'm being mocked or not.

HISAO: "Of course. I mean sure, you're a bit heavy, but -"

Mmph! My witty comment is cut off by the sudden press of Emi's lips on mine. I'm caught off guard, and am rewarded by hitting my head on the wall behind her bed.

HISAO: "Ow."

Emi pulls back, trying to look concerned rather than like she's about to laugh.

EMI: "Are you okay? Sorry!"

I rub my head ruefully and grin back at her."

HISAO: "Caught me off guard, there. Is that going to become a habit? Am I going to be lectured by Shizune and Misha more?"

At the mention of the duo, Emi giggles.

EMI: "Honestly, those two... If I didn't know why, I'd be utterly confused as to why she hangs around with someone so bossy."

HISAO: "Which one are we talking about?"

EMI: "You know exactly which one, Hisao. Misha's hardly bossy."

HISAO: "So what's the reason, then?"

EMI: "Huh?"

HISAO: "The reason why Misha hangs around Shizune."

Emi waves my question off with a smile.

EMI: "No idea."

EMI: "Anyway, you seem to be forgetting the original question, don't you?"

HISAO: "Oh yeah, I guess I am. You wouldn't mind giving a guy a little warning, would you? Otherwise I'm liable to wind up with a concussion."

I emphasize the point by rubbing at the back of my head. Emi giggles madly.

EMI: "You could wear a helmet. Some kids here do, you know."

(Sudden Silence)

HISAO: "Or I could just take revenge!"

I grab a pillow from beside me and whack Emi over the head.

Emi topples off the bed and lands on the floor with a thump. Her arms promptly reappear on the bed, and she manages to pull herself back up. She really has a surprising amount of strength in that little body. Her face is turned downwards and away from mine, making me think I might have accidentally hurt her.

HISAO: "Emi? You okay? You didn't hit your—"

A hand shoots up and grabs my collar. She pulls me in with a sharp tug, her face now barely an inch away from mine as she grins cheekily.

HISAO: "Emi...?"

She gives me a sharp headbutt, our foreheads making quite a loud thud. I sit back and rub my now sore head as Emi smirks victoriously.

EMI: "How's that for revenge?"

HISAO: "No fair! You can't take revenge for revenge!"

For someone missing most of her legs, Emi's surprisingly agile. I swipe at her, but she deftly rolls out of the way and lands a hit with her pillow. Of course, the odds are against her. I can stand up, for starters.

Oof!

Guess I can't, after all. Emi seems to have effectively tripped me up, and is now sitting primly astride me as I lay on my back. I'm not even sure how she managed it.

EMI: "I win!"

Her eyes twinkle mischievously. I've been thoroughly defeated, and by a girl that's a fraction of my size, at that. Then again, being defeated doesn't seem quite so bad. Emi being positioned over my waist isn't something that I, or my body, can ignore easily. I open my lips to speak, but Emi's head darts downwards before I can get so much as a word out. I give no resistance as she presses her mouth to mine, not that I'd want to. This is... different, somehow.

She pulls back, nips at my lower lip, and reinitiates the embrace. Her tongue darts inside my mouth, exploring. I can feel a warmth spreading through my body as my heart begins to beat faster. My mind starts to go foggy, and I become vaguely aware of my hand traveling up Emi's blouse…

Katawa Shoujo OST - To Become One

:eng101:Guess what time it is? That there is the sex scene theme, and this is how I’ll be representing them in the LP. First off, if you disable adult content, instead of :nws:, you see…

… Photography. In this case, cuttlefish. And yes, this is a screenshot, the screen fades to pink and this image throbs on the screen for a second or two before switching back. In future updates, I'll lead in with the theme, post the picture, and include a brief worksafe(ish) description in spoiler tags. To whit:

Emi challenges Hisao on who will blush first. They partially strip and awkwardly but enthusiastically make love. It tires both of them out a bit.

Exciting, wasn’t it? Future scenes will give us more characterization, and I’ll discuss that when it comes up, but this one could be safely be wrapped up in a couple sentences. But yeah, that’s the first sex scene! Anyway, let’s get back into –

– whoa, topless. I disabled adult content! This screenshot contains visual proof! But we still get an eyeful here, enough that the ordinary pause box doesn’t even cover all of it up. I guess you can only take so much H out of an H-game. That sprite sticks around for the rest of the scene, too.
:eng101:

EMI: "So... did I blush?"

HISAO: "I didn't notice. Did I?"

Emi shrugs, still breathing a little heavily.

EMI: "Didn't notice either."

HISAO: "Well, maybe we should—"

Katawa Shoujo OST - Katawa Shoujo OST - Generic Happy Music

RIN: "I need to use your window."

:eng101:She just… Waltzes in, face blank. :eng101:

My first instinct is to hide, but then I realize that I'm still utterly exhausted and sitting next to a topless Emi, so there's no running anyway. Rin's eyes pass over Emi, and me, and focus on the window.

RIN: "There was a cloud."

EMI: "A cloud?"

Rin nods.

RIN: "I was watching it from my window, but it didn't stay in my window. So I need to use your window."

Emi shifts a little, causing me to cough in order to cover up a giggle of my own.

EMI: "How long do you need the window for? We're uh. Busy."

This time I can't contain my laughter. Rin ignores both Emi and me and peers out the window. Her shoulders slump, and she looks disappointed.

RIN: "Hmm. It changed into something else. Disappointing."

Emi is having trouble keeping a straight face.

EMI: "Sorry to hear that, Rin. Could we have a little privacy now, please?"

Rin shrugs, as if to say “Can you?” and hooks her foot around the door, pulling it closed behind her. We both dissolve into raucous laughter, unable to deal with Rin's bizarrely timed visit any other way. After our laughter dies down, I look to Emi. We're both a total mess.

(Silence)

HISAO: "Well."

Emi raises an eyebrow.

EMI: "Well?"

HISAO: "Again?"

Emi grins and laughs, and then she nods.

EMI: "We should probably ditch the clothes, this time."

:eng101: And SCENE. :eng101:

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 2, 2021

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I wasn't even kidding when I said that the sex scenes are fluffy and heartwarming, and sometimes downright hilarious.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

That was cute. :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

That was a lot better than I was afraid it would be.