Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Spirit Island but the blights are just empty plastic bags

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

Eraflure posted:

Spirit Island but the blights are just empty plastic bags

Turning blights into little landfills would be an easy mod for anyone with a 3d printer

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
The thing is though, while that's obviously a bad thing, it isn't THAT bad. Because those baggies will actually probably for the most part get reused.

I mean, yes. Many won't, and that's goddamn awful, I'm not trying to say this packing method is ok. But I'm also not absolutely despairing at the sight, because at least a lot of them won't end up as single use, and will actually get used, because; boardgamers.

I hope. gently caress.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
It's not the end times or anything, it's just stupid.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
plastic waste is a really vanishingly small part of the whole climate problem, don't stress about it.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Impermanent posted:

plastic waste is a really vanishingly small part of the whole climate problem, don't stress about it.

Interesting spin on microplastic toxicity.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Infinitum posted:

Yeah this is why I'm having a bit of a head scratcher, cause surely the Mass Production Copy is the final quality check needed before everything is signed off on.

Stronghold is bad and from what I've gathered, everything about this edition is pretty much a joke.

The 3d tiles are ugly and the wrong color. Not all of them fit in the storage provided without disassembling them every time. The provided card sleeves are sometimes too big for the included boxes (but other card sleeves are not). The box does not provide sensible storage for a bunch of things (to the point where people have designed inserts for the insert), but it has a gigantic spot for the first player miniature that was an optional buy.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

PerniciousKnid posted:

Interesting spin on microplastic toxicity.

Tony Topper alt account found

(if you don't get this joke don't worry about it, it's for me and the 2 other Cabalist goons)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Anyone played Limits? Uwe game that I must have picked up years and years ago, finally broke it out with the 6yo, it seems very well suited to that age

Ogdred Weary
Jul 1, 2007

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs

KongGeorgeVII posted:

You should invite friends around but leave the cubes in the bags and force your friends to play the whole game with the cubes still in the bags.

Take them out, but insist on bagging them after the game

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have any recommendations on boardgame shelving that aren't Kallax? Wife doesn't have a good opinion on them so we're looking for alternatives.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Chekans 3 16 posted:

Anyone have any recommendations on boardgame shelving that aren't Kallax? Wife doesn't have a good opinion on them so we're looking for alternatives.

Seek out a local carpenter to knock together some wood in the configuration you need. Do some measurements and ask for a quote. It's not a cheap as Ikea but should be cheaper than a premade nice piece of furniture with the added benefit of being deep enough which most bookcases aren't.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Chekans 3 16 posted:

I use one of these. It's wide enough to hold at least 15 standard depth boxes shelved vertically, and deep enough to hold an EGG deluxe the same way.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Chekans 3 16 posted:

Some people use Billy bookshelves from Ikea, but I'm willing to bet your wife more means "not Ikea" not merely "not Kallax."

Also, :sever:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

IKEA has more "upmarket" looking shelves like HEMNES, at least around here:

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

I use one of these. It's wide enough to hold at least 15 standard depth boxes shelved vertically, and deep enough to hold an EGG deluxe the same way.

Thanks! These look good, might get some of these for our garage either way.

Magnetic North posted:

Some people use Billy bookshelves from Ikea, but I'm willing to bet your wife more means "not Ikea" not merely "not Kallax."

Also, :sever:

Na she's generally pro-Ikea but has heard Kallax are flimsy and think they look bad. I had only ever heard good things about them from BG people and I like their look :shrug: Those look like a good option though!

dishwasherlove posted:

Seek out a local carpenter to knock together some wood in the configuration you need. Do some measurements and ask for a quote. It's not a cheap as Ikea but should be cheaper than a premade nice piece of furniture with the added benefit of being deep enough which most bookcases aren't.

Ooh, that's a good idea. Wasn't even considering having one made up.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
After playing a bunch on the PC version, I was looking forward to buying a physical copy of Gloomhaven and Jaws of the Lion. Turns out that shipping to Argentina would only cost me $400 or so! Why does this game have to be so goddamn heavy :negative:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Chekans 3 16 posted:

Boardgametables.com are close to launching a KS for some solid wood modular shelves. They look pretty slick and I’m hoping they are affordable-ish.

Freakie
Oct 30, 2013

Azran posted:

After playing a bunch on the PC version, I was looking forward to buying a physical copy of Gloomhaven and Jaws of the Lion. Turns out that shipping to Argentina would only cost me $400 or so! Why does this game have to be so goddamn heavy :negative:

Have you tried contacting a local retailer or game store?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Azran posted:

Seek out a local carpenter to knock together some wood in the configuration you need. Do some measurements and ask for a quote.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

dishwasherlove posted:

Are you going to get a quote for the Oath extension you need? :v:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

dishwasherlove posted:

Saw the poker chips, wondered how far I'd have to scroll for 18XX (not very).

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Magnetic North posted:

Some people use Billy bookshelves from Ikea, but I'm willing to bet your wife more means "not Ikea" not merely "not Kallax.

The Billy bookshelves are pretty basic and while I've certainly used them, they're not sturdy and tend to buckle long-term under weight. My only issue with Kallax is handling oversized boxes. Then again, oversized boxes are nearly a reason for getting rid of a game, they're such a pain to store and transport, and the oversizing tends to correlate with poor design.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Chekans 3 16 posted:

Thanks! These look good, might get some of these for our garage either way.

Na she's generally pro-Ikea but has heard Kallax are flimsy and think they look bad. I had only ever heard good things about them from BG people and I like their look :shrug: Those look like a good option though!

Ooh, that's a good idea. Wasn't even considering having one made up.

They're definitely not flimsy. In grad school my roommates and used Kallaxes and various add-ons for loving everything: TV stands, coffee tables, desks, room dividers... I think we used one as a bookshelf.

The appearance? Well that's a different question. But unless they've seriously changed the design in the last 10 years, they're sturdy as gently caress.

e. At our place now we use Billy bookcases.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

gschmidl posted:

IKEA has more "upmarket" looking shelves like HEMNES, at least around here:

As a Hemnes-haver and Kallax-haver, I feel the Kallax is plainly superior. I haven't been able to space the Hemnes shelves as efficiently (you choose the spacing from preset holes). Kallax also has inserts, whereby you can turn one of the squares into a set of three little drawers great for generic tokens, extra dice, blank paper, X-Wing ships, whatever.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

homullus posted:

As a Hemnes-haver and Kallax-haver, I feel the Kallax is plainly superior. I haven't been able to space the Hemnes shelves as efficiently (you choose the spacing from preset holes). Kallax also has inserts, whereby you can turn one of the squares into a set of three little drawers great for generic tokens, extra dice, blank paper, X-Wing ships, whatever.

I actually chose neither for games but the store I got mine from is local only.

I also have the long, long discontinued IKEA thing that I believe eventually evolved into Kallax?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Played a couple games of Q.E. last night: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/266830/qe

It's a pretty light game but the rules allow for a lot of fun psychological manipulation. The whole game is bidding on companies for VP and you can spend however much you want with no limitation, but at the end of the game the player who spent the most automatically loses.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Went and bought Eldritch Horror.

After three hours of globetrotting adventures, Jim and Silas managed to solve the final mystery. Something about an evil moon. Didn't matter because the last Mythos card bumped the doom trck over and woke Azathoth up.

World’s over guys, sorry. :saddowns:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Unrelated to my shipping woes, was the Doom board game any good? I can't remember anything beyond "first scenario has very bad balance"

Freakie posted:

Have you tried contacting a local retailer or game store?

Yup, it's about the same price + their fee on top.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
I had the Doom first edition and sold it on after a few uninspired plays. (Also found the storytelling / roleplay elements a bit awkward.) But, later I heard that people really liked the game and maybe there was a revision that tightened things up.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Oh, I meant the 2016-2017 or so version, the one made to cash in on the new (at the time) game.

Edit: Clarifying because you said first edition and I know there's a Doom game from like the mid 2000s or so, back when Doom 3 was the new hotness :v:

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Cracked open Quest this weekend, but only briefly.

Got in a single game. It's way too early to make judgements, but I can say it does appear to have a solid logic puzzle at its core. I like that Lady of the Lake is now built into the game via the amulet mechanic and there are some interesting decisions to make each turn about who to give the leader token and who to give the lady ability. I do think there are way too many optional roles and the vast majority of them won't be used by anyone looking for a solid deduction experience. I'm excited to play more.

This edition of Avalon has a lot of new roles and modules that change the way the game is played. As far as I can understand they are mostly just modules from other resistance expansions that came out after Avalon. None of them seem very interesting to me.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Did you get tracking info for Quest? I'm in Aus and have gotten nothing, even though they said it had all been shipped out.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Infinitum posted:

Did you get tracking info for Quest? I'm in Aus and have gotten nothing, even though they said it had all been shipped out.

I'm in NYC. I got tracking info at the end of June, but it took a while to get to me as it came in last Thursday.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Megasabin posted:

I'm in NYC. I got tracking info at the end of June, but it took a while to get to me as it came in last Thursday.

I'm in Philly and haven't gotten tracking info yet.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

nonathlon posted:

Thanks for this. I was intrigued by Oath but wary that it was going to be another typical Cole Werle game - admirable, interesting, well-designed but demanding a lot of investment and a bit bloodless. This sounds like it might be up my alley. How hard is it to teach?

Teaching the game is interesting. Using the guided setup and first round, my players were able to grasp the basics of gameplay and had some idea on strategy. However, when first explaining the game and all the interlocking mechanisms, there is a definite “cones of dunshire” feeling to the teach.

“When your pawn is at this site you use a search action-paying 3 supply because 2 visions have been drawn-to draw 3 cards from the world deck and choose one of those cards to play, discarding the other two to the discard pile of the region to the right of your site. You can play that card to your advisors or to the site, though the location you can play it to may be restricted by an icon and you can only have up to three advisors (discarding one to play a new one) and a number of site advisors equal to what it says in its top right icon. If you play the card to your site, you get a favor from the bank matching the suit of that card (there are six suits). You can also play the card facedown to your advisors to be played on this or a later turn using a minor action.”

I was able to make that up from memory, but it’s close to what you’ll read from the book and peoples eyes may glaze over a bit. I strongly recommend the guided first turn, and to especially mention where the reasons for taking different actions are listed.

Honestly, I would liken teaching oath to teaching Magic The Gathering. There are a lot of key terms and rules concepts to remember, but the iconography is consistent throughout all of the game pieces and once you and the players have a feeling for it, it flows more smoothly.

A few rules that my group has forgotten or were confused about in the first couple plays:
1) the chancellor and citizen/s share joint rule over sites and their denizens, but they do NOT share control over banners/relics/advisors, nor do they combine their totals of these for the oath to hold the most relics/banners.
2) when campaigning with a target of relics/banners/enemy pawn, the defender will always get to include all warbands on their board in defense, in addition to the defense dice listed by the targeted relics/banners/pawn/holding oath keeper/usurper. Also, if the defender rules the site (ie their warbands are on the site) you are attacking their relics/banners/pawn at, you must also declare that site as a target, adding its defense die, warbands, and abilities.
3) certain cards allow you to make trades of favor/secrets/relics/maybe banners too?, and there is a site that allows binding promises to be made. Otherwise you cannot trade these things to other players.
4) technically, the only hidden information that you are allowed to share with another player privately is your advisors and the imperial reliquary.
5) the successor condition to the oath of supremacy is to own more relics and banners than the chancellor or any other citizens. It doesn’t matter if an exile player has more.
6) the oathkeeper title stays with its holder if there is a tie.
7) citizens/the chancellor can only aid each other in defense, not attacking.
8) there is a misprint on the reference sheet for setting up a new game. You don’t add two visions to a stack of 12, you add two visions to a stack of 10 (it is listed correctly in the rulebooks)

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

fr0id posted:

Teaching the game is interesting. Using the guided setup and first round, my players were able to grasp the basics of gameplay and had some idea on strategy. However, when first explaining the game and all the interlocking mechanisms, there is a definite “cones of dunshire” feeling to the teach.

It's about the oaths.

Every review I've watched about Oath that explains any of the rules had big Cones of Dunshire energy and I'm so excited to try it out

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Radioactive Toy posted:

It's about the oaths.

Every review I've watched about Oath that explains any of the rules had big Cones of Dunshire energy and I'm so excited to try it out

I would love if anyone remembers this game or it’s booth. My friend and I went to Gencon several years ago and tried out a game called PK Cards. The owner of the company dressed like a caveman and it was obvious he was the jock friend/money backer of the nerdy game designer. It even offered a chance to win cash prizes with booster packs.

Anyway, while demoing the game, my friend and I reached a point where we tied in a battle. We called the designer over and he very excitedly said “OK. PK!” and explained the rule for resolving this tie, which was a “PK.” To this day, my friend and I will joke about complicated games by saying. “OK………PK.”

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Friend brought by Dice Forge this weekend and we had a great time. Changing the dice face panels feels a little gimmicky, but it does it for me big time, and the box insert was next level good, imo. I'm probably going to pick it up myself, anyone have any opinions on the expansion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Next week I'm heading away to travel around in a campervan for a week and a half. Can folks suggest some games with high strategic depth/that stand up to repeated replays that also pack small or otherwise travel well? We're definitely taking Hive Pocket which is kind of the gold standard of what I'm looking for if that helps calibrate what I'm after at all, and we're also taking Air, Land & Sea because my wife refuses to stop playing it until she can beat me at it :smugdog:.

So yeah, looking for a third game to round those two out - I've heard a lot of praise for Mottainai but never had the chance to play it myself but it's also been a long while since I've really been actively paying attention to game releases so I don't know what's out there.

Edit: 2p games, it'll just be me and my wife.

Mode 7 fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 14, 2021