Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Cage posted:

Dang this looks pretty cool. Horizon competition maybe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIQ_m4Gjvqo
I sure hope that CGI trailer was based on the current in-development game assets. Because boy if they spent that effort on kitting out an detailed island for this trailer only and the actual game ends up a visual shitshoy...

--edit: Then again, comparing it with the surprisingly high-detail Google Earth data, they may just have used that instead.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jul 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

njsykora posted:

WRC 8 was the first one under the current devs (for now, I think EA have the licence after 2022), and was compared quite favourably to Dirt Rally so it's a solid foundation to build on.

As I mostly do rally, I play lots of dirt rally 2.0 as well as wrc8 and wrc9. The tarmac physics in wrc8/9 are much better than dr2's tarmac physics. They also have really fun stages with great design, but that's beside the point.

I mostly do DR2 because it works with my triples better and it has telemetry for my DDU and LEDs, and overall fewer bugs, but if they're going for rally style physics, it should work out well for them. Not the most realistic, but enough so and definitely fun.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Combat Pretzel posted:

Not really that much simulation, but they've announced a new test Drive Unlimited, supposedly on an 1:1 recreation of Hong Kong Island. Hopefully its simulation mode, if there is one, has a semblance of realistic physics this time around. because the setting is decent, judging what I see on Google Earth. I'd really like some realistic(-ish) open world racer.

--edit:

Whatever the gently caress that means? Halp?

I know this has already been answered but WRC 9 is my favorite racing game bar none, it is an excellent series, for my money it outstrips Dirt Rally quite easily. It's also got excellent rally physics, seriously it's the only game that has really come close to perfecting those physics. So I would say using the WRC 8 physics is a VERY good thing and presages excellent realistic handling.

Anyways I really came to this thread to ask if anyone has picked up F1 2021 yet, and if they have any thoughts.

I was totally planning to pick it up right away, but at 60 bucks no I'm not so sure and from what I can tell the teams and liveries are not from the 2021 season but the 2020 season which is a huge bummer. I guess that's how it's always worked maybe?

So has anyone tried that one out yet? Paying full price for a game is painful but I do really enjoy the F1 games

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Apparently the story covers last years season then moves in to this year with the new liveries or something (I thought the same).

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Fellblade posted:

Apparently the story covers last years season then moves in to this year with the new liveries or something (I thought the same).

Okay well that's one good thing. It was probably just the review I watched was mostly from story mode, good to know that it actually DOES have the new teams and liveries and drivers

e: I guess it isn't actually available right now to anyone who isn't a reviewer/influencer or whatever so no one is going to have gameplay impressions yet, sorry

Play fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 12, 2021

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
They're doing a goofy thing where you get 3 day early access (Tuesday) if you buy the deluxe edition, so should see more impressions popping up tomorrow.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Since it’s an EA game it might also end up on Game Pass pretty quick as well. A lot of their sports stuff is going on there as part of the EA Play deal.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

At least my cable management is dogshit.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

njsykora posted:

Since it’s an EA game it might also end up on Game Pass pretty quick as well. A lot of their sports stuff is going on there as part of the EA Play deal.

My issue is that I already own so many of the games on gamepass that there is never enough impetus or value to actually sign up. Still, not a bad idea to hold out until then.

Falken posted:

At least my cable management is dogshit.

Lookin good! My setup is... considerably more ghetto

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Crossposting from the iRacing thread as it's currently a low-traffic wasteland people may not be following: we're trying to get more people involved in endurance events again, so see below if that interests you etc

Vando posted:

Schorsch posted:

And the Bearpope Enduro team got P3 in the thicc boy M8:

Also if you want to be part of this yell at me on Discord, we need more newer (slower) drivers because we're running into issues where being a slower driver with faster guys makes running incredibly stressful, which in turn makes people not want to drive. Still pretty effective in terms of getting results, but would be nice to have the whole thing feel more chill.

Next event is the Spa 24 on the 23rd, a track everyone knows, right?

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

shortspecialbus posted:

As I mostly do rally, I play lots of dirt rally 2.0 as well as wrc8 and wrc9. The tarmac physics in wrc8/9 are much better than dr2's tarmac physics. They also have really fun stages with great design, but that's beside the point.

I mostly do DR2 because it works with my triples better and it has telemetry for my DDU and LEDs, and overall fewer bugs, but if they're going for rally style physics, it should work out well for them. Not the most realistic, but enough so and definitely fun.

Play posted:

I know this has already been answered but WRC 9 is my favorite racing game bar none, it is an excellent series, for my money it outstrips Dirt Rally quite easily. It's also got excellent rally physics, seriously it's the only game that has really come close to perfecting those physics. So I would say using the WRC 8 physics is a VERY good thing and presages excellent realistic handling.

Recently got back into sim racing games after years of hiatus and picked up Dirt Rally 2 (after putting in a couple hundred hours on the first) on sale for :10bux: and am having fun with it. Wandered here to check out the state of sim racing and got reminded RBR is a thing I never bothered checking out back in the day and poking around on that point heard the WRC titles are fairly decent nowadays.

Anyway, was contemplating snagging WRC 9 too--although WRC8 is much cheaper and supposedly very similar and WRC 10 isn't far off. Seeing it mentioned here: did you guys know if WRC 8/9 worked well with a controller? I assume it does since it also is available for consoles, but figured I'd check if someone had done so.

Also, if I was to try getting RBR working, did anyone know if that works well on a controller? Seems more like PC race sim classic that might not be controller friendly.

bUm fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 12, 2021

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Vando posted:

Crossposting from the iRacing thread as it's currently a low-traffic wasteland people may not be following: we're trying to get more people involved in endurance events again, so see below if that interests you etc

Maybe in the winter. I'm poo poo at road driving but doing some acc and f1 to try and get better. Summer time is mostly for outside stuff though, I drop my sub from apr to oct/nov.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

RBR isn't friendly even on a wheel, though there were PS2 and Xbox versions that I think someone said had different physics models so maybe try emulating those. I'd wait to see reviews of WRC 10 (its not unheard of for a dev to gently caress up a game series they've been doing for a few years) before committing to anything, if nothing else WRC 9 will probably start going on deeper sales once it's out.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
RBR is difficult to the point where I've heard some IRL rally drivers say it's just brutally hard for no loving reason and actual rally cars are way easier to drive. I'm no expert on the matter, but it wouldn't be the first time that sim gamers called something "super realistic" just because it's hard, and there's no way real life could be easier.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Shine posted:

RBR is difficult to the point where I've heard some IRL rally drivers say it's just brutally hard for no loving reason and actual rally cars are way easier to drive. I'm no expert on the matter, but it wouldn't be the first time that sim gamers called something "super realistic" just because it's hard, and there's no way real life could be easier.

The RBR worship from some corners is off the scale. They're usually say ludicrous that there's 'no such thing as an actual rally simulation' for various arbitrary reasons, while simultaneously praising BeamNG as the next coming as well. In the mean time, there's tonnes of actual rally drivers having a good time with DR2.0.

Don't get me wrong, I like RBR. What they've achieved with modding the heck out of that ancient game is incredible, and it is a must play for rally fans.

As for good rally games with controller, Codies did a remarkable job with DR2.0. I've also had a good time playing WRC9 on PS5 with controller. In both cases, my best controller times approach my times with steering wheel.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Vando posted:

What time on the 23rd

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What time on the 23rd

Turns out iRacing persist in posting the event date as the first available timeslot, so it will be almost certainly the 24th for us, either 0700 UTC or 1200 UTC timeslots depending on driver availability.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

bUm posted:

Anyway, was contemplating snagging WRC 9 too--although WRC8 is much cheaper and supposedly very similar and WRC 10 isn't far off. Seeing it mentioned here: did you guys know if WRC 8/9 worked well with a controller? I assume it does since it also is available for consoles, but figured I'd check if someone had done so.

Also, if I was to try getting RBR working, did anyone know if that works well on a controller? Seems more like PC race sim classic that might not be controller friendly.

I don't use a controller but I cannot fathom why a controller wouldn't work fine for the WRC games.

RBR is gonna be a bit iffier, and frankly without a wheel I'd probably stay away from it. It's a pain in the rear end even with the newer HU installers and such, and I honestly didn't feel it was THAT much better that it was worth the time and hassle to play a 15 year old game. Like someone else said, though, they've done a great job modding it and it's an impressive accomplishment. Just probably not worth it for most people.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Vando posted:

Yes hello please join us. Team endurance events are some of the most fun you can have in sim racing. And, Bearpope knows the secrets to enduro success so even our not-so-tryhard second teams often do really well. Better than the tryhard team, sometimes.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Every time I try iRacing I never get out of rookies because my attention falters. I should really knuckle down because I want to drive GT3/GTE so bad

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Shine posted:

I absolutely believe it. Really there is no reason that a computer simulation of a rally car should be either easier or harder than the actual thing. It's kind of random.

Of course physically being in a car adds a layer of challenge to everything, but it also gives you more points of input as far as what to do.

Honestly I don't think it's even that uncommon for a video game to have worse handling than an actual car.

But again, I'm contractually obligated to mention that WRC is now the premier rally simulation series.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Thanks for input all. Think I will steer clear of RBR and perhaps snag WRC9 while it's on sale... or wait for WRC10 to see if it's good and presumably WRC9 is on deeper sale if not.

Shine posted:

:laugh:

I feel like I get this vibe about many "classic" AKA old sim racing titles. I think I watched something with my dad many years ago and Dale Jr. said the same of iRacing being harder than the real thing.

I've always assumed as game engines and computers progress, so too does more easily implementing more accurate simulations of behavior that can account for more aspects without simulation processing performance concerns. But maybe that was never a factor in more modern times and it's just down to how they go about it and how much attention to detail they put in.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Sim racers always talk about how iRacing is the most accurate, and usually dump on Assetto Corsa Competizione for various reasons, but actual GT3 drivers (David Perel, for example) pretty much all say the GT3s in iRacing are ridiculously hard and generally say ACC is way more true to life on handling.

There's some prevalent idea in Sim Racing that if you're not having a tank slapper anytime you accelerate out of a corner or if you're not locking up every time you press the brakes then it's unrealistic. Sometimes "realistic" sims are hard just to be hard because of that idea, not because it's actually at all accurate for handling.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The drivers talking about sims being 'harder' are referring to the lack of feedback: the vehicle dynamics in the top sims these days are actually pretty good. Nobody is conflating difficulty with realism, but at the same time if it's easy it's probably not very realistic either because the thing that makes it harder is something that's hard/expensive to model.

Also nobody dumps on ACC for realism, what are you talking about? It's the best for that hands down right now, it gets dumped on for poor (relatively) multiplayer setup and high system requirements.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The reason I lock up all the time in iRacing is because they refuse to let you access the wheel slip telemetry so I can never tell when it's happening except by trying to pay attention to the sounds the tires are making. If I could assign the wheels locking up to my pedals' vibration, it would be about a thousand times easier.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

KillHour posted:

The reason I lock up all the time in iRacing is because they refuse to let you access the wheel slip telemetry so I can never tell when it's happening except by trying to pay attention to the sounds the tires are making. If I could assign the wheels locking up to my pedals' vibration, it would be about a thousand times easier.

That's so nice in sims that support it.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

The system requirements are definitely obnoxious, yeah. It gets dumped on for being unrealistic and being tuned for "feel" so to speak, and also apparently having unrealistic physics. You can find examples in this thread.

Just like there are plenty of rally people who say RBR is the only realistic rally game, there are equally people who say that iRacing is the only realistic racing sim and everything else is a toy, ACC included.

It's probably not a majority at this point, people generally did tone down dumping on ACC after several patches and it's probably swayed more.

The multiplayer aspect is unarguable though, iRacing beats everything else out of the water.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

KillHour posted:

There are pedals with vibration that iracing doesn't support natively? It works fine on my Clubsport V3s.

And yeah I think nearly everyone will agree that ACC is the best at simulating GT3s. It's just worse than iracing in most ways that aren't the actual physics modeling. And, iracing closed the gap there pretty significantly in the last GT3 update, the only glaring deficiency now is that the ABS modeling is still garbage.

Theris fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 14, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Realism is an endless slapfight that is barely worth having at this stage of sim racing's maturity.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Those of you with full rigs, how is your pedal spacing? I'm having some left knee pain and I think I need to move the brake pedal further left to get my feet more straight compared to the rest of my legs. I don't have a ton of room due to the clutch pedal being at the extreme end of the available space on the plate (CSL elite pedals with LC), but I think I can improve a little bit.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Theris posted:

There are pedals with vibration that iracing doesn't support natively? It works fine on my Clubsport V3s.

And yeah I think nearly everyone will agree that ACC is the best at simulating GT3s. It's just worse than iracing in most ways that aren't the actual physics modeling. And, iracing closed the gap there pretty significantly in the last GT3 update, the only glaring deficiency now is that the ABS modeling is still garbage.

I have Clubsport V2s and I have never had the pedals vibrate on the wheels locking up. Is there a setting I'm missing?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

shortspecialbus posted:

The system requirements are definitely obnoxious, yeah. It gets dumped on for being unrealistic and being tuned for "feel" so to speak, and also apparently having unrealistic physics. You can find examples in this thread.

Examples by me in this thread, no less! But that was over a year ago, and while I think ACC does still tune for feel over physical simulation it doesn't introduce any weird behaviours anymore.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

KillHour posted:

I have Clubsport V2s and I have never had the pedals vibrate on the wheels locking up. Is there a setting I'm missing?

The V2 motor is not super strong so you might just not be feeling it?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Those of you with full rigs, how is your pedal spacing? I'm having some left knee pain and I think I need to move the brake pedal further left to get my feet more straight compared to the rest of my legs. I don't have a ton of room due to the clutch pedal being at the extreme end of the available space on the plate (CSL elite pedals with LC), but I think I can improve a little bit.

I have the pedals spaced approximately even by eyeballing, I didn't measure or anything, and have no issues. If you have adjustable pedals, you can adjust them to however you want regardless of what other people have done, or you could try just moving the entire pedals a little bit to the left and see if it helps. When I was using a rig with a center post I had to do that a little bit, maybe like half an inch.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Vando posted:

The V2 motor is not super strong so you might just not be feeling it?

It is weak but I can definitely feel it because I turned on the fixed-ABS function in the wheel at 75% so I could at least tell when I was getting close.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

shortspecialbus posted:

Sim racers always talk about how iRacing is the most accurate, and usually dump on Assetto Corsa Competizione for various reasons, but actual GT3 drivers (David Perel, for example) pretty much all say the GT3s in iRacing are ridiculously hard and generally say ACC is way more true to life on handling.

There's some prevalent idea in Sim Racing that if you're not having a tank slapper anytime you accelerate out of a corner or if you're not locking up every time you press the brakes then it's unrealistic. Sometimes "realistic" sims are hard just to be hard because of that idea, not because it's actually at all accurate for handling.

Yep exactly. Games need a way to differentiate between player skill when the cars are all the same. Sometimes that results in handling that is actually much squirrelier than it should be. Thus cars that in real life are actually very, very stable become SUPER sensitive to acceleration out of a corner or under braking and try to oversteer constantly. Because otherwise they would 'feel' too easy to drive.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

All sims are harder than real life because in real life you get so much more feedback that you don’t get in a sim rig, even a motion sim rig

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Play posted:

Yep exactly. Games need a way to differentiate between player skill when the cars are all the same. Sometimes that results in handling that is actually much squirrelier than it should be. Thus cars that in real life are actually very, very stable become SUPER sensitive to acceleration out of a corner or under braking and try to oversteer constantly. Because otherwise they would 'feel' too easy to drive.

No, the handling is not squirrellier: it is (broadly speaking) the same as what you'd get in real life, it's just you're unable to react as fast to correct for it because you don't have the same feedback from the car. It's not a problem of devs intentionally trying to add something to 'differentiate between player skill', that's just nonsense.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Play posted:

Yep exactly. Games need a way to differentiate between player skill when the cars are all the same.

There is no modern (and probably ever) sim that intentionally sets out to make its cars more difficult than real life, nor is it necessary for your stated reason. A notional car that is impossible to spin under any circumstances would still see a wide gulf in laptimes between the best and worst drivers, although the drivers on the better half of the bell curve would probably be bitching about understeer the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Vando posted:

No, the handling is not squirrellier: it is (broadly speaking) the same as what you'd get in real life, it's just you're unable to react as fast to correct for it because you don't have the same feedback from the car. It's not a problem of devs intentionally trying to add something to 'differentiate between player skill', that's just nonsense.

I'm not saying it's intentional, I'm saying it's just what their model ends up with and it does seem to continue getting worse, whatever the driving force, in the more... involved 'simulations'. It makes sense to me that game creators want to have a certain level of challenge added, but if it's not that it's something else.

People who have actually driven cars around racetracks tend to agree. And no it's not just lacking the feedback from an actual car and being able to 'catch it' in real life, the cars simply oversteer, spin and lose traction too easily, more easily than they actually should.

Play fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 14, 2021