Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I was just thinking, how does a virtual queue in a park where you don't really wanna be carrying your cell phone around work? Genuinely curious how the park works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

You have to show up 15 minutes prior. Boom, done.

"You must show up 15 minutes early" makes absolutely no difference than "you must show up at X:XX". Also having very hard defined returned times also sucks because so many things can happen that prevent you from getting there on time.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

couldcareless posted:

I was just thinking, how does a virtual queue in a park where you don't really wanna be carrying your cell phone around work? Genuinely curious how the park works.

If you're talking about Volcano Bay, it's a wristband that everyone gets at the gate called a Tapu Tapu. It's got a little screen on it and it tells you the time, but also has a notification for when it's your time to ride whatever you've queued for. It's a pretty cool little gadget.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

It's a bad idea for a few reasons:

1. There still has to be at least some queue anyway to ensure enough people are actually there to fill the seats
2. Evenly spreads demand for the attraction across the operating day, potentially removing the possibility of short waits or walk-ons in the evening.
3. Without people in the queues, all the walkways, shops, and restaurants would become unbearable and they already get pretty ridiculous.

Yeah iirc the way they are scoped for the fire code assumes a certain number of people are in lines.

It’s def been discussed recently on the Len and Jim podcast. But maybe I’ll write in and ask for clarity

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

BlueBayou posted:

Yeah iirc the way they are scoped for the fire code assumes a certain number of people are in lines.

It’s def been discussed recently on the Len and Jim podcast. But maybe I’ll write in and ask for clarity

Yup, good point. If nobody were in the lines, they would have to lower the park capacity. (this of course might be their eventual goal with keeping the park reservation system...)

This is one reason the parks still looked busy at times even at 20% capacity like the first few months after re-opening from Covid. With all the rides being walk-on, and none of the high capacity theater shows running, everyone was on the walkways most of the time.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

"You must show up 15 minutes early" makes absolutely no difference than "you must show up at X:XX". Also having very hard defined returned times also sucks because so many things can happen that prevent you from getting there on time.

ok so there's no reason for fp or dessert parties to show up 30-45 minutes early for something like fantasmic with regard to walkways.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

ok so there's no reason for fp or dessert parties to show up 30-45 minutes early for something like fantasmic with regard to walkways.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Some aerial photos I took today.

https://twitter.com/cchard/status/1414266907461660676?s=21

https://twitter.com/cchard/status/1414274900752224259?s=21

https://twitter.com/cchard/status/1414285335371079687?s=21

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I love those aerial shots! Say what you want about Hogwarts Express as a ride, it's a drat inventive use of backstage area.

Braksgirl fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 12, 2021

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

It's a bad idea for a few reasons:

1. There still has to be at least some queue anyway to ensure enough people are actually there to fill the seats
2. Evenly spreads demand for the attraction across the operating day, potentially removing the possibility of short waits or walk-ons in the evening.
3. Without people in the queues, all the walkways, shops, and restaurants would become unbearable and they already get pretty ridiculous.

Counterpoint:
You die in the queue,
You die in real life

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Had our ‘Ohana dinner tonight. Reservation was for 8:40 and fireworks were at 9:15 so it was perfect. They still pipe the music in.

The new breads were tasty. I preferred the coconut papaya one, some liked the cheddar biscuits (they had a hint of jalapeño). Potstickers and wings were about the same recipe, no huge changes there.

The new salad dressing was tasty. I think I prefer the old salad but I’m not a tomato-y kind of guy. It was a side salad with a citrus vinaigrette dressing, basically.

Noodles were the same. Chicken was waaaay better than skewer chicken imo. I wasn’t sure about the shrimp casserole, the shrimp was my favorite part of ‘Ohana but my wife always felt it was over cooked. It was more of a shrimp chowder is the best way I can describe it. I had enough to say I tried it and moved on.

Steak was delicious. Similar to the old style but with a little bit more of a peppery taste?

Finally, the bread pudding was the one I remembered.

I could still get POG juice from breakfast so that was awesome. Overall I think we were all impressed with the meal. 3/5 of us actually met working at ‘Ohana, so they knew the old meal well. My wife overall ranked the menu changes as a great improvement over the old menu. She said it felt like a much higher return to quality compared to the last few years that they had begun cheapening the meal.

They brought back as much of the old cast as they could, as they all dropped by our table as the night went on. So it’s pretty much all the old servers. Ukulele player played all night too (one of the old subs, I’m told) but coconut races haven’t returned yet. All in all I think we agreed it was a better experience than it was before.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Hell yes there's a holiday after hours I hope it costs a shitton

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Braksgirl posted:

I love those aerial shots! Say what you want about Hogwarts Express as a ride, it's a drat inventive use of backstage area.

Thanks.

Yeah it's a clever use of space.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

[quote]
Orange County Mayor Jerry Demings now recommends that all individuals in the area, regardless of vaccination status, again wear a mask while indoors.

Orange County has recently seen an increase in confirmed COVID cases and emergency visits and is now back in the “high risk” category. [/qupte]

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/DisneyD23/status/1414972234834223119

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Not loving the incredibly fluffy tone, but hey, its a trailer. Here's hoping it lands closer to The Imagineering Story than One Day at Disney. I feel like Rohde's involvement is promising, though?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/orlandosentinel/status/1414896589307588613?s=21

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Been in the queue for Oogie Boogie Bash for over 3 hours now. I really don't like digital queue systems...

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."

Braksgirl posted:

YOU ARE UNDER SURVEILLANCE 👀 👀 👀

It is relaxing and a cool use of that track switch for both trains as they go back and forth. I love aerial views of the parks.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Boxman posted:

Not loving the incredibly fluffy tone

:colbert: I don't think it sounds like me

couldcareless posted:

Been in the queue for Oogie Boogie Bash for over 3 hours now. I really don't like digital queue systems...

A friend was in for five and ended up giving up. You ever get yours?

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

couldcareless posted:

I just sat in line for maybe 45 minutes, at midnight on 7/13 into 7/14. All Saturday dates were gone (except 9/11) and I just couldn't justify pulling the trigger for the price. $169 or $149 per person depending on the weekend. We are a family of 6. I kept thinking of using that cash towards new annual passes instead, which got me into the aimless wondering of if/when the new system will be revealed. So we held off.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Yeah, I made it through on hour 5, every date still available. Their system is hosed up. Got Halloween night, so I'm excited and relieved but still miffed.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/ChefLuBu_ATL/status/1415047179404722181

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
No way.

No way a slice of cheese costs less than a bag of liquid "cheese".

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Zero One posted:

No way.

No way a slice of cheese costs less than a bag of liquid "cheese".

Yeah that feels like they ran out of the goop and someone improvised in the most tragic of ways

Edit:WDWNT with a fascinatingly worded retraction on VIP tours not needing a boarding group for Rise of the Resistance.

https://wdwnt.com/2021/07/update-st...t-disney-world/

quote:

In a recent update to our previous post on July 10, 2021 regarding Star Wars: Rise of The Resistance, access without a boarding group is NOT included as part of VIP Tours at Walt Disney World.

The previous knowledge was that as of July 11th, 2021, guests who take part in Walt Disney World’s VIP tour groups would be able to walk on to the attraction without having to hassle with attempting to join the day’s boarding group virtual queue system. It turns out this was incorrect

J33uk fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 14, 2021

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Haha the real story is even worse.

They were going to have access, they told all the guides, they told all the guests booking.

Then legal said “lol no you can’t do that” and hosed everything up.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm curious about the legalese behind that

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Hi, I don't know anything about Disney World but I'm taking my family in two weeks and I'm trying to understand some stuff.

Do I need to buy MagicBands? Some of this stuff says the app is replacing them, but my phone doesn't have NFC. I don't really know what either is for or if I really need either.

Do I need to make dining reservations like an hour ahead? That morning? Now?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

elf help book posted:

Hi, I don't know anything about Disney World but I'm taking my family in two weeks and I'm trying to understand some stuff.

Do I need to buy MagicBands? Some of this stuff says the app is replacing them, but my phone doesn't have NFC. I don't really know what either is for or if I really need either.

Do I need to make dining reservations like an hour ahead? That morning? Now?

The big question is: Have you already made park reservations? If you haven't, you need to do that NOW. Like right this minute now.

You do not need to buy Magic Bands if you don't want them. They can give you cards to use if your phone can't handle it.

Uh, you needed to make dining reservations 2 months ago. But you can certainly check and see what's available now if you want.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Yeah we have tickets and hotel.

Thanks.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Not just tickets and hotel. Park reservations.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Ahh ok, will do.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Who is hyped for Monorail return? I just want to see what the construction looks like so I’m hoping the rumors are true.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Me! I might have to take a little ride when I go next month.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
https://auctions.potterauctions.com/mobile/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=45497

Am I dumb enough to want this

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Live your life, friend.

Speaking of living your life, I'm gonna be living my best life next month. We're doing a split Disney/Universal stay and we just moved our Disney room from Pop to Riviera and I'm unspeakably excited. We have a Deluxe studio and omg it's going to be amazing.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Braksgirl posted:

Live your life, friend.

Speaking of living your life, I'm gonna be living my best life next month. We're doing a split Disney/Universal stay and we just moved our Disney room from Pop to Riviera and I'm unspeakably excited. We have a Deluxe studio and omg it's going to be amazing.

Awesome! Let us know how it goes. I’m very curious about Riviera. I was super excited when it was being built, but of course it got mixed to negative reviews initially.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Nottherealaborn posted:

Awesome! Let us know how it goes. I’m very curious about Riviera. I was super excited when it was being built, but of course it got mixed to negative reviews initially.

I don't know how someone can dislike it. It seems perfect in every way to me. I mean, they did have the issue of the banquette beds falling off the wall, but they fixed that.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
It’s my faaaaaaaaaav - we are back down there again for the 50th - get breakfast at primo and get the pancakes braksgirl - all the food there is fab. It smells so wonderful too, everyplace you walk in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Braksgirl posted:

I don't know how someone can dislike it. It seems perfect in every way to me. I mean, they did have the issue of the banquette beds falling off the wall, but they fixed that.

The resort is really nice, I liked the quick service restaurant last time we were there, and I'm a fan of the skyliner.

2 common complaints I see are the location, and the high point chart. The point chart isn't too bad*, and the location is what it is. It's not on the monorail loop or right next to Epcot.

edit: There's a ton of Disney haters out there, and many of them hate change. There's always going to be someone that dislikes change.

* I own DVC points at Bay Lake Tower, and I find the Riviera point chart on par with the Lakeview and Theme Park rooms at BLT. I generally try to stay Standard view to stretch the points out, but as an example, my next trip is June 4-12. I'm using 357 DVC points for a 2bedroom standard view room. Lake view is 391, and Theme Park would be 491. A 2 bedroom at Riv for the same dates would be 401 and 481 for their standard/prefered view rooms.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 15, 2021