Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Megazver posted:

Thanks to the wonders of video recording technology, there are literally recordings of him being a colossal rear end in a top hat. The last episodes he was in are uncomfortable to watch.

So you mean he was an rear end in a top hat right around the same time he got an AIDS diagnosis and his friends were in the middle of kicking him off the show?

What is your deal?

E: Oh I just looked at your rap sheet, nevermind lol, I get it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Alright, buddy.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

King of Solomon posted:

Wizards of the Coast sucks, you should play one of the million other fantasy games instead of D&D.

I'd be happy to, the options seem endless. If you have any specific suggestions I'll look into them. Someone linked unpossiblejourneys earlier and it's been really good to see what else is out there.

I guess it's tough since I'm not really sure what I should be looking for so it's easy to head towards the well-known titles since there I have an inkling of what it's about.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'd be happy to, the options seem endless. If you have any specific suggestions I'll look into them. Someone linked unpossiblejourneys earlier and it's been really good to see what else is out there.

I guess it's tough since I'm not really sure what I should be looking for so it's easy to head towards the well-known titles since there I have an inkling of what it's about.

13th Age is amazing, it's rules light with some combat in it and you can do a lot with very little. It has backgrounds instead of skills, and the rule book makes sure to talk about failing forward. It's pretty fun, and it does interesting things with the combat like giving fighters huge damage die by making physical combat being multiplicative with your level.

If you want something crunchy Pathfinder 2 seems really cool, I haven't played it yet, but my players have all created unique characters that are mechanically supported. A little worried how it'll work in play, but it could go really well! I'm excited to say the least.

DungeonWorld is a really good starter RPG, it has a million different "playbooks" which are classes, and there's no wrong build, you just pick what's interesting and go!

Megazver posted:

Alright, buddy.

Yeah thanks for the chat, pal!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

I think people might be more receptive to criticism of the show if you offered supporting evidence (links, etc) instead of making statements of fact. I don't follow CR and almost certainly won't start this late into the game. Regardless, I like keeping my eye on who's lovely in the trad gaming world because this type of thing is very important. So, I am keeping my mind open to what you say. The issue here is that while this form of argument is logically sound (person lovely => don't support person), but it's unfortunately unconvincing to those without the necessary background information. The form is correct, but are the treatises true? Rightly or wrongly, I feel most people's default position is to give the benefit of the doubt.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Magnetic North posted:

I think people might be more receptive to criticism of the show if you offered supporting evidence (links, etc) instead of making statements of fact. I don't follow CR and almost certainly won't start this late into the game. Regardless, I like keeping my eye on who's lovely in the trad gaming world because this type of thing is very important. So, I am keeping my mind open to what you say. The issue here is that while this form of argument is logically sound (person lovely => don't support person), but it's unfortunately unconvincing to those without the necessary background information. The form is correct, but are the treatises true? Rightly or wrongly, I feel most people's default position is to give the benefit of the doubt.

Sorry, I am embroiled in this poo poo, because I watch it with my sister. I love her very much so I don't say anything bad about it around her, and I forget it's not common knowledge.

Here's the link to Orion saying that he had a drug problem, cancer, and HIV (not AIDS) when he was kicked out of Critical Role, he's also trying to get back in, so he's begging. https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5rrnzd

The link where he really broke it down got taken down from youtube, and I can't find a mirror of it.

I'm also looking for the Matt Mercer chat where he talked about Critical Role is just him and his friends, but I'm only going to google for so long before I'll just rescind it as I can't find proof.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

If you're looking for a fantasy adventure RPG, Fellowship is one of the best out there.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
The only black guy on the show Orion Acaba, was removed for getting aids and having a drug problem, but that's pretty well known so I'm not going to rehash that for a million time, instead I'm going to talk about the thing almost no-one seems to give a poo poo about.

Instead let's talk about the LGBTQIA+ and Critical Role, this first one you'll have to watch the series I guess to find out if it's true, because I don't have timestamps for every bad gay joke, but there's a running joke that two of the main characters are having sex. The joke isn't that they're having sex all the time, or they're making sex puns at each other, we're just supposed to find it funny because they're gay, and everyone else titters whenever they say they're going to go have sex.

There's a guy named Fjord, and he's constantly being played for laughs because he's acquainted with seamen, and loves to put balls and swords in his mouse. Taliesin plays one of the characters, named Cad (who is aroace) and went on a weird rant at tumblr about shipping him with a guy. The tweets are now deleted as well, but you can find people referencing it on the internet. I'm looking for mirrors.

Gay people are in the show to have hilarious wacky gay sex. There's this character named Taryon Darrington who came out in an episode by the team sending a gay hooker at him, and then he threw up after admitting he was gay. The whole thing is a big joke, and it's in the midst of a story about how a male teacher slept with him and that's when he had his sexual awakening. So yeah in case the time stamp doesn't work 1:18:18 he says "I only had one romance before and it was my teacher, he was so and so." Everyone is laughing and loving it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNaWnFwfGJc&t=4698s

Some rando with 200 - 300 followers had the audacity to criticize matt for the above video, so he did a "Did you just assume the cast's sexuality" as a defense. Dude received so many death threats he had to delete his account. The original tweet was deleted, but it was a very milquetoast take about him saying "Man I really didn't like how Riegel and the cast did that coming out scene." Not once does he mention their sexuality.
https://twitter.com/matthewmercer/status/855523455860473856

People kept railing on Matt for another couple of months, so Taliesin hopped online to tell everyone he was bisexual and so the criticisms were moot:
https://twitch.tv/videos/155614289

Two days after the Orlando shooting, a gay character is killed off screen and replaced with a demon (Rakshasa) in disguise then kills his gay lover. https://criticalrole.fandom.com/wiki/Duskmeadow_(Episode) Since it's all improv and none of it's scripted he could have just not had the gay dude be a demon or reveal it later right? Anyways, he gets on Twitter a few days later and says "oh no he's not dead, this is just a demon impersonating a gay dude, two days after a deadly shooting in orlando.

Every time someone gets on about this and there's a big stink, matt will inevitably hop on social media and say all the right words, and make all the right noises. Sometimes he cries, sometimes he references gay or black friends. Then everyone ignores it and goes back to consuming.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Sep 1, 2021

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Thank you. That is information that we can take under advisement, and be convinced or unconvinced by.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

You probably missed this post which I made last page:

Lemon-Lime posted:

Your best bet would be to join a roleplaying game Discord and see if anyone has some space in one of their games to introduce you to the concepts. People in those Discords will also usually be happy to answer questions about how X, Y and Z work.

This is one that I'm in that's pretty friendly and has people running games: https://discord.gg/e4tsAJ8X

If you're a big Tolkien fan, you want to look out for The One Ring, which is a game explicitly designed to enforce Middle-Earth-appropriate actions through its mechanics, with rules for pipe-smoking and riddle-making.

It's okay to start with D&D if you want, because it remains very popular and thus it's easier to find a game to join, but keep in mind that there are a lot of games out there that play radically differently and have much better-designed mechanics. D&D is really the "Michael Bay films" of roleplaying games.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I can't possibly recommend Dungeon World, it focuses too much on simplicity but it ends up being a massively boring mess that doesn't lend for fun gameplay at all. If you want a more newbie friendly yet still fun and smart tactical game I'd rather direct you to (goon-made) LANCER or Strike! instead. They are also good at bridging the skill gap necessary for a 'heavy' trpg of its kind like DND 4E, an edition which I do have strong affinity with.

Freakie
Oct 30, 2013

100YrsofAttitude posted:

The closest to DnD I could recommend you without WotC attached would probably be Pathfinder. It's got the features you want (monk, ranger, animal companion and so on) and plays almost the same, being a hack of DnD 3.5's rules. The flip side is that it's got a LOT more numbers crunching than regular DnD, however. It is a very popular system, though, so you likely could fin a game somewhere.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Also you can always play DND without supporting the Wizard of the Coast corporation thanks to the magic of something i call "internet piracy".

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Plutonis posted:

Also you can always play DND without supporting the Wizard of the Coast corporation thanks to the magic of something i call "internet piracy".

I'm sure I didn't hear that from you :wink:

Thanks for the recommendations for not DnD. I'm taking my time looking through it and keeping an eye on out games suggested. Like I said, I'm going away on vacation soon, but that'll give me the time to read up on what I need, maybe make a character and be ready for mid-August.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You were the one in the webcomics thread inspired by OOTS right? Pathfinder 1e would be familiar given, again, it's basically a barely legally distinct use of D&D 3.5, which isn't a great system but is still a popular one. That said, I'd suggest going with simply whatever you're able to get people to play to start with, and don't consider yourself limited to any one system or style. There's a lot of bad and toxic attitudes with RPGs that I feel are easily avoided; they're like video games, you don't play just one and try to cram every sort of experience into it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm not prejudiced. I know nothing about any Actual Plays and loathe them all equally.

Freakie
Oct 30, 2013
If you want, I might be starting a game of Call of Cthulhu within this month or the next that you're free to join.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Even if APs like CR didn’t edit or pre-discuss sessions, and CR didn’t have a freaking Creative Director, there’d still be the difference of the players having much more energy because instead of their way of unwinding after work, it is their work.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Lemon-Lime posted:

You probably missed this post which I made last page:

I've saved that discord link for sure. Since it'll be a month before I can be sure to be good and present I'll join up then and begin to see what can be done.

Freakie posted:

If you want, I might be starting a game of Call of Cthulhu within this month or the next that you're free to join.

Anytime after August 10th really yeah, but that might be a bit late, but I'm sure there'll be other chances!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

hyphz posted:

Even if APs like CR didn’t edit or pre-discuss sessions, and CR didn’t have a freaking Creative Director, there’d still be the difference of the players having much more energy because instead of their way of unwinding after work, it is their work.
I'm pretty far from a CR fan, but it's a literal livestream and they can't edit it like that.

Other APs may or may not, but those don't create anywhere near the nerdfights CR does.

Y'all get really mad about CR, and it's weird.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

dwarf74 posted:

Y'all get really mad about CR, and it's weird.

I don't like CR, but I'm consistently baffled by how many people seriously hate it to this degree. I just... don't watch it, and I'm done. Don't have to think about it outside of when the Mercer effect kicks in with people, and that's not even a CR thing, that's just a "professional actors playing D&D as your main/a major part of your exposure to the hobby" thing.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

SkyeAuroline posted:

I don't like CR, but I'm consistently baffled by how many people seriously hate it to this degree. I just... don't watch it, and I'm done. Don't have to think about it outside of when the Mercer effect kicks in with people, and that's not even a CR thing, that's just a "professional actors playing D&D as your main/a major part of your exposure to the hobby" thing.

I dislike it mostly as trying to sell the hobby as something as it isn't and cheapening the experience (not to mention never got much into streaming as a whole), but dunno why spend energy thinking about that stuff.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Am reminded that a friend of mine went from following the usual '4e is the the devil's work' line back in the day to actually wanting to play it after watching Let's Play D&D that I had casually mentioned.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Activities of all kinds being portrayed as fantasy versions of what they really are is a modern plague.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I don't like just about any AP, not that I think the format sucks, just long-form improv storytelling isn't my jam, I can't stay focused on it. But I run a small podcast that has a little tiny bit of success, and it's about RPGs but not an AP. We don't say anything about CR on the show, since why would we, neither of us listens to it. Yet we get a small but persistent trickle of reviews on our shows that are basically 1 star reviews that say like "Every RPG show except Critical Role sucks" I'd say like one of those every few months. And that's the closest thing I have to an interaction with the show or the fanbase.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I've saved that discord link for sure. Since it'll be a month before I can be sure to be good and present I'll join up then and begin to see what can be done.

You can just join it now and start talking to people! It's a good idea to check in as early as possible to see who is planning to start a game and when, just so people know you're interested.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Boba Pearl posted:

While I'm a transbian, I'm not black so it's not my place to say whether kicking off the black guy for having HIV and a drug problem was bad or not.

There's criticizing the CR cast for being a bunch of blindered white cishets who have a bad habit of using gay people being gay as the butt of a joke, and then there's bad faith aspersions like this. This kind of comment manages to make their position of "don't bring anyone into the cast who isn't already part of our circle of friends" actually seem reasonable. If they brought someone in to the show and they didn't work out, but that person wasn't another white cishet, then any legitimate reason they had for not keeping them on the show would be totally irrelevant because it'd inevitably get framed like this (especially if that person's departure was as acrimonious as Orion's was).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Being a huge Tolkien geek, fantasy/high fantasy would be a fine place to start with, so D&D's fine. I've always wanted to play a ranger or monk, or both!
The sheer number of games out there is bewildering, even if you're only looking at games that are some version of D&D. A lot of people just play the latest edition of Official D&D and have done with it.

To make a long story short, D&D as we know it was kind of invented by accident, by wargamers in Wisconsin who were looking to spice things up. It was then marketed to an all-ages audience as a game of heroic fantasy adventure. So the rules had a lot of weird complications based on its origin as a minis wargame, which didn't meet audience expectations. This resulted in decades of people designing their own version of D&D. Some people wanted much simpler rules, some wanted even more complicated rules for sword fights or magic or whatever. Most wanted the players' characters to be more heroic and less likely to get randomly killed by a goblin or a pit trap.

My friend who had never roleplayed before started with D&D 4th edition. I like it a lot, but it's very focused on detailed tactical combat. If I had been running his first game, I would have run something much lighter on rules.

If you really like Tolkien, The One Ring was designed really well to emulate the frame story of a group of sworn comrades going on a long perilous journey on Middle-Earth. (Like, if it had been written in the 70s, it would have all these mathematical formulae for calculating how much weight you can lift and carry, and how fast you can march, and exactly how much your gear slows you down, and this is why Gimli is slow. Newer games tend to just sum that up as "Dwarves always move slower, but they can carry twice the weight" or whatever.)

Fellowship is another great game in that vein, not officially set in Middle-Earth but obviously inspired by it. It accommodates all kinds of fantasy games about a motley crew of heroes going on an adventure.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Boba, you should probably learn it's okay to not like a thing without the people making it being monsters.
It's been less than 24 hours between "there's no lgbqt representation on the show" to "well ok so there is but.."
Also it's incredibly gross to see you weaponize a pretty messed up dude's problems as ammunition for why the people who make the tv show you don't like are bad. Especially since you don't know anything about the dynamics of the friend group that makes up the cast and crew of CR.
Full disclosure: I don't follow AP stuff or CR, but I've known a bunch of people involved since before CR was a thing. Mostly as casual acquaintances, though I've also known some folks who work behind the scenes for 15+ years.

I can confirm the cast and even a bunch of the crew were indeed people from the same LA friendgroup -keep in mind this is a group of well over 100 people, not just like "Oh hey this is Matt and the 5 people who he has been playing RPGs with since he was a teen."
Yes, CR is pretty close to how they ran and played games before CR was a thing, as others have said these are theatre kids, and decent ones at that.
The thing APs coming from this friend group made big that wasn't typical of their tabletop games is the costume and make up thing, but they did that because of how many of them came from the high end cosplay world, and would probably be at a party once a month or so in the early 2010s wearing far more elaborate getups.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

gtrmp posted:

There's criticizing the CR cast for being a bunch of blindered white cishets who have a bad habit of using gay people being gay as the butt of a joke, and then there's bad faith aspersions like this. This kind of comment manages to make their position of "don't bring anyone into the cast who isn't already part of our circle of friends" actually seem reasonable. If they brought someone in to the show and they didn't work out, but that person wasn't another white cishet, then any legitimate reason they had for not keeping them on the show would be totally irrelevant because it'd inevitably get framed like this (especially if that person's departure was as acrimonious as Orion's was).

:thunk:

I really think you might want to revisit that logic.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:thunk:

I really think you might want to revisit that logic.
You might wanna look at the context of the conversation. What they're describing is literally what happened here. A dude imploded and left the friend group and now because it helps win internet points, it's "the one black dude on the show was kicked out because Mercer is a fairweather friend."
I guarantee if Orion had been kept on, we'd be hearing that Mercer threw his "real friends" under the bus and kept around a toxic invidual just because he was part of his product. There are legit issues outside of what is seen in the product for why ties were cut with him.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Coolness Averted posted:

You might wanna look at the context of the conversation. What they're describing is literally what happened here. A dude imploded and left the friend group and now because it helps win internet points, it's "the one black dude on the show was kicked out because Mercer is a fairweather friend."
I guarantee if Orion had been kept on, we'd be hearing that Mercer threw his "real friends" under the bus and kept around a toxic invidual just because he was part of his product. There are legit issues outside of what is seen in the product for why ties were cut with him.

So they couldn't keep the one non-white person they had on cast for completely legitimate reasons, and now gosh darn it they couldn't possibly get another non-white person into their cast, because what if the exact same thing happens again with this stranger, and it will have to be a complete stranger, as they somehow have no non-white friends, also completely reasonable for a group of RPG players in LA. Have I got that right?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I mean, they just got three new people, all of whom are POC and who the cast hasn't been friends with before (I think) as the GM and players in their new campaign.

It's a silly logic, I agree.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

The current main CR show is an 8? ep in-canon minicampaign being gm'd by a black woman

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

The sheer number of games out there is bewildering, even if you're only looking at games that are some version of D&D. A lot of people just play the latest edition of Official D&D and have done with it.

To make a long story short, D&D as we know it was kind of invented by accident, by wargamers in Wisconsin who were looking to spice things up. It was then marketed to an all-ages audience as a game of heroic fantasy adventure. So the rules had a lot of weird complications based on its origin as a minis wargame, which didn't meet audience expectations. This resulted in decades of people designing their own version of D&D. Some people wanted much simpler rules, some wanted even more complicated rules for sword fights or magic or whatever. Most wanted the players' characters to be more heroic and less likely to get randomly killed by a goblin or a pit trap.

My friend who had never roleplayed before started with D&D 4th edition. I like it a lot, but it's very focused on detailed tactical combat. If I had been running his first game, I would have run something much lighter on rules.

If you really like Tolkien, The One Ring was designed really well to emulate the frame story of a group of sworn comrades going on a long perilous journey on Middle-Earth. (Like, if it had been written in the 70s, it would have all these mathematical formulae for calculating how much weight you can lift and carry, and how fast you can march, and exactly how much your gear slows you down, and this is why Gimli is slow. Newer games tend to just sum that up as "Dwarves always move slower, but they can carry twice the weight" or whatever.)

Fellowship is another great game in that vein, not officially set in Middle-Earth but obviously inspired by it. It accommodates all kinds of fantasy games about a motley crew of heroes going on an adventure.

Fellowship looks cool for sure. I don't have to necessarily play Tolkien, I think it's more the reason why Cyberpunk or futuristic settings don't interest me quite nearly as much.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Absurd Alhazred posted:

So they couldn't keep the one non-white person they had on cast for completely legitimate reasons, and now gosh darn it they couldn't possibly get another non-white person into their cast, because what if the exact same thing happens again with this stranger, and it will have to be a complete stranger, as they somehow have no non-white friends, also completely reasonable for a group of RPG players in LA. Have I got that right?

No, I'm saying internet weirdos have already decided the CR group is made up of bad people and will retroactively justify it based on whatever -selectively ignoring stuff that doesn't help their argument or fixating on details they think help them win their argument.

Megazver posted:

I mean, they just got three new people, all of whom are POC and who the cast hasn't been friends with before (I think) as the GM and players in their new campaign.

It's a silly logic, I agree.

At least one is from the 200 odd circle of friends/2 degree of seperation.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Well, either way, it's not a productive line of discussion.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
In the interest of me not having to deal with a stack of reports tomorrow morning, can we put a lid on Critical Role chat in the chat thread for the next 12 hours or so please? Everyone who is going to say something has said something and now it's just starting to fester.

While I concede that the chat thread is a good place to casually chat about streams and/or podcasts, I would contend that a) it's not a good place to try and litigate exactly how awful the Critical Role cast are*, b) if you want to talk about podcasts and streams more generally we have a thread for that, and c) if you really have to argue about this I'd much rather you took it to an all-new Critical Role Deathmatch thread which I can delete without reading at some later date.

On the other hand, please continue talking about how good Fellowship is. It's one of my favourites.

*That's what the industry thread is for!
(Do not actually take this to the industry thread.)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

gtrmp posted:

That's the problem with having a single load-bearing minority. If you have an actually diverse group then you have representational redundancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Dungeons & Dragons has very generous licensing for 3rd party companies, so you can still play D&D without giving WotC one red cent or committing piracy. People mentioned the online OGL which has the basics of the system, but there's a lot of in-depth and self-contained books which use the game engine. I will warn you ahead of time, 3rd party material varies quite a bit in quality, and a lot of people try to push square pegs through round holes in turning what is essentially a dungeon-crawl medieval fantasy into a genre that can be better supported by other works.

This wiki on EN World has a list of various 5e games and settings, including a category for 'standalone games. What this means is that you can just buy that rulebook and don't need anything else. I don't own it, but Fateforge is basically French D&D (translated into English) with the serial numbers filed off. Of those listed, I'm quite fond of Beowulf and Brancalonia, although I'd recommend trying 'basic D&D' first before using those, as they have quite different play experiences. Midgard is a great setting and the publisher has a level of quality that can equal and even exceed Wizards of the Coast a lot of the time.

Speaking of Middle-Earth, there used to be an "Adventures in Middle-Earth" RPG that was a conversion of The One Ring to 5th Edition D&D. Sadly the publisher lost the license and they're no longer being sold.

Also the 5e SRD has a bunch of legally-free material from official books and 3rd party work. It specializes more on the rulesy side of things as opposed to adventures and world settings, but there's still a lot of material to be used.

Edit: The publisher Kobold Press is my highest-rated 3rd party publisher. You rarely go wrong with their material.

Double Edit: I'm going to break with popular opinion and recommend against using Pathfinder as your first tabletop, either as a player or Game Master. Both of its editions are overly-complicated Byzantine systems with trap options, multiple tiny modifiers to keep track of during play, and even smaller individual combats can take anywhere from half an hour to an hour to finish. Only pro players can really speed through combat. Lord help you if you're playing with newbies, gamers who have spotty Internet connections, or type slow.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 11, 2021