Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lobok posted:

At first I wondered why you singled him out from the rest of the X-Movies but I guess Deadpool is different for being a character getting a movie set in an existing franchise without being in it before? (I mean, if we consider him wholly different than the Deadpool in Wolverine Origins).

No, I think he's referring to the post-credits of Deadpool 2 where Deadpool kills not only the Origins Deadpool but also Ryan Reynolds for accepting the lead in Green Lantern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

There actually was a post credits scene for Wolverine Origins where Wade's severed head breaks the 4th wall but apparently it did not play in all screenings.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Lobok posted:

At first I wondered why you singled him out from the rest of the X-Movies but I guess Deadpool is different for being a character getting a movie set in an existing franchise without being in it before? (I mean, if we consider him wholly different than the Deadpool in Wolverine Origins).

By that metric I guess Tokyo Drift would count as well, though that's 2006.

You are correct, that what I'm asking.
As we see him in the James McAvoy's Prof X universe, but also in Patrick Stewart's Prof X universe at Logan's grave.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

happyhippy posted:

You are correct, that what I'm asking.
As we see him in the James McAvoy's Prof X universe, but also in Patrick Stewart's Prof X universe at Logan's grave.

McAvoy grows into Stewart.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

PeterCat posted:

McAvoy grows into Stewart.

So dead Mystique grows into alive Mystique? Suppose it depends where you want to draw the line between the early and later Xmen movies

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

'lol Robin' jokes are so incredibly overdone.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Vandar posted:

'lol Robin' jokes are so incredibly overdone.

At least we've mostly gotten over "Aquaman can only talk to fish" jokes.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

happyhippy posted:

So dead Mystique grows into alive Mystique? Suppose it depends where you want to draw the line between the early and later Xmen movies

Toad comments on how none of the X-Men stay dead in X1.

There's also the bit in Logan where it's implied that all the previous movies were comic versions of real life events.

And of course there's the multi-verse theory, so IDK, it's CYA at this point.

One nice part about comics is it's all canon.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

happyhippy posted:

Jennifer Lawerence Mystique would have grown into Rebecca Romijn Mystique, but she was killed, because the events of DOFP set her down a different timeline that led to her death. It's a different timeline. I guess that makes it a different universe? But they're the same Mystique until DOFP, at which point they go down different paths.

It really depends on what context you're arguing for or against, I guess. And I honestly don't remember how this conversation started.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
https://twitter.com/neonrated/status/1414600436472971264?s=21

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
You had me at "Apichatpong Weerasethakul"

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I feel like you could have come up with some better SFX even with a general library like Keepforest but I do appreciate the willingness to stretch creatively with a trailer and not be afraid of long silences and creating mood with it over using a slow creepy trailer cue or god forbid a girl singing a Depeche Mode song slowly with single piano keys

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

kiimo posted:

I feel like you could have come up with some better SFX even with a general library like Keepforest but I do appreciate the willingness to stretch creatively with a trailer and not be afraid of long silences and creating mood with it over using a slow creepy trailer cue or god forbid a girl singing a Depeche Mode song slowly with single piano keys
That's what I appreciated about the trailers for another (fantastic) film of Apichatpong's, Uncle Boonme Who Can Recall His Past Lives. It evokes the right mood for the film without showing any of the particulary crucial or iconic moments/visuals imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk-EoUb0nvg

I guess id call it like....confident trailer design?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

oh drat i really should watch uncle boonmee and cemetery of splendor, i keep forgetting about those

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqdHP2dWQ9M

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Eh. I mean it's Disney and Pixar so yeah I'll watch and I'm sure it'll be good, but that teaser sucks and the BSB really just makes it feel cheap.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

This must be the feature-length movie by the woman who did Bao.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
If this has been posted here I missed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfF-VOBZnQw

I want to see it

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I’m really digging older Colin Farrell, I feel like as he ages and is more willing to get into weird and ugly characters it’s really suiting him.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Best thing ive seen in awhile

https://youtu.be/IS5jvVt6oiA

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Here's the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7q60i_Lh_E

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Damnit

Thanks!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Too bad Free Guy looks fuckin atrocious

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Netflix presents: A plot that seems impressively dumb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si5irFBLe5s

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

kanonvandekempen posted:

Netflix presents: A plot that seems impressively dumb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si5irFBLe5s

From the thumbnail, I thought they were bringing back the killer bee movies of the '70s. This is so much better/dumber/worse and I'm so here for whatever this is.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
This is the worst case of showing the whole movie in a trailer I've seen in a while:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG2Telp3wg0

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Claeaus posted:

This is the worst case of showing the whole movie in a trailer I've seen in a while:

What the gently caress is up with the color grading on that?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

BonoMan posted:

What the gently caress is up with the color grading on that?

Yeah, holy poo poo, that movie looks ugly.

The preview image on YouTube even fixed it.

It looks like someone hosed with the color settings on a TV and turned the color down to 10/100.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Why do we need a colorist when the director has an Adobe Speedgrade subscription?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Claeaus posted:

Wow Willis looks old as hell here.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So did Bruce blew all his money or coke or what. Why is he just pumping out non-stop trash. When did he stop caring. Did he ever care???

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
He looks so tired and acts like he doesn't want to be there, yet he keeps doing movies.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So did Bruce blew all his money or coke or what. Why is he just pumping out non-stop trash. When did he stop caring. Did he ever care???

He shows up for like one day, only appears in scenes where he actually has to talk and wears an earpiece so he doesn't have to learn lines. It seems like a pretty easy way to make money.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Mat Cauthon posted:

Wow Willis looks old as hell here.

lol when he's trying real lazily to bust down a door near the end there

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

. When did he stop caring.
2012. He did Looper and Moonrise Kingdom which were both released that year where he actually acts and does a good job. But he hasn't been a real actor since.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

yeah there was an article recently on these terrible "old action hero movies" where one guy who was the inspiration of an Entourage character found out the magic formula of making money was producing cheap, lovely action movies with unknowns and hiring seagal or willis to do <3 days' work.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

The Saddest Rhino posted:

yeah there was an article recently on these terrible "old action hero movies" where one guy who was the inspiration of an Entourage character found out the magic formula of making money was producing cheap, lovely action movies with unknowns and hiring seagal or willis to do <3 days' work.
And the young lady cop in the trailer is married to him.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Dillbag posted:

Why do we need a colorist when the director has an Adobe Speedgrade subscription?

Fun story the movie Greatest Showman was nearly delayed because the director chose to color every frame of the film himself one by one.

Perhaps trying his best to ignore the elephant in the room which was the fact that he made a film celebrating PT Barnum as some kind of hero instead of a monster

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

kiimo posted:

Fun story the movie Greatest Showman was nearly delayed because the director chose to color every frame of the film himself one by one.

Perhaps trying his best to ignore the elephant in the room which was the fact that he made a film celebrating PT Barnum as some kind of hero instead of a monster

I don't think you can color every frame in the film one by one without introducing an epileptic seizure inducing flickering effect.

edit: Also that movie is so bad I couldn't get through even half of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

BonoMan posted:

I don't think you can color every frame in the film one by one without introducing an epileptic seizure inducing flickering effect.

edit: Also that movie is so bad I couldn't get through even half of it.

I know next to nothing about film production, but I assume this is because there would be basically no way to make it consistent frame to frame? So you'd end up with differences in each frame, producing some sort of strobe like effect?