Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Just take the kid to a real life pokemon battle (cock fight)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Pokémon enjoy universal healthcare.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I get the impression that's why Nintendo is getting away from making the Pokémon fight in their movies (like Detective Pikachu) and they continue to publish games like Pokémon Snap which just encourages you to take pictures of them.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

My kid loves Pokemon, just like I did, but now as an adult I have all these questions about it, like:

"Why is it okay to kidnap the animals and remove them from their habitats?"

"Why do they have to fight each other? How is this different from a show/game where teenagers take dogs from people's yards and then make them fight?"

Pokemon like it and love it. they love to fight and they only feint at worst. everyone is chill about it

I was a few years too old and pretty much missed all of pokemon. it was all MTG

my kids are working through the tv series though, and it's loving hilarious how much of the show is trainers trying to convince the children that magical cock fights are in fact good and have fun toys to buy

e: lol "feint"

fosborb has issued a correction as of 17:30 on Jul 11, 2021

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Pokémon thirst for violence and to disallow them their time on the battlefield is to squelch their spirits.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Anyone have recommendations for a video game on the PS4 that someone 3 1/2 could play or watch? My oldest keeps playing with the controller and wants her own video game

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

B-Rock452 posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a video game on the PS4 that someone 3 1/2 could play or watch? My oldest keeps playing with the controller and wants her own video game

Katamari Damacy Reroll?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

B-Rock452 posted:

might enjoy a rhythm game like taiko no tatsujin

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

My kid loves Pokemon, just like I did, but now as an adult I have all these questions about it, like:

"Why is it okay to kidnap the animals and remove them from their habitats?"

"Why do they have to fight each other? How is this different from a show/game where teenagers take dogs from people's yards and then make them fight?"

My kid is always the one asking questions like this about my old favorites and I don't have an answer besides "uh I never thought about it".

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

i don't have the energy to muster up an anti-natalist argument so just pretend I made one up and yell atme

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Elissimpark posted:

Katamari Damacy Reroll?

This was a big hit thank you.

Rated PG-34 posted:

might enjoy a rhythm game like taiko no tatsujin

Will also give this a shot if she gets bored if katamari

B-Rock452 has issued a correction as of 21:44 on Jul 11, 2021

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

B-Rock452 posted:

This was a big hit thank you.

gently caress, i forgot i had this on the switch. 4 1/2 year old is about ot have a loving great afternoon.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Insanite posted:

Pokémon thirst for violence and to disallow them their time on the battlefield is to squelch their spirits.

They choose you as a battle master, be worthy and train them to crush their enemies.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

To be fair, Machamp has four arms for wrestling and a championship belt.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Mustached Demon posted:

To be fair, Machamp has four arms for wrestling and a championship belt.

seems a bit more nature than nurture for that one, yeah

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

B-Rock452 posted:

:honk:

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

B-Rock452 posted:

This ones boring but: Minecraft creative mode.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

mine at that age spent countless hours playing Rayman Soccer Mode by herself

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I’m rewatching the Harry Potter series with my kids for the first time since becoming a parent And jfc imagine how much you’d have to hate your kids to send them to Hogwarts

That place is a death trap even when there aren’t wizard nazis running around indiscriminately.

Muggle parents be nervous about their kid playing high school football but wizard parents be like “oh yea junior just got whomped with a magic bowling ball and fell 200 ft in The air while sitting on a stick

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

You should read A Deadly Education.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

silvergoose posted:

You should read A Deadly Education.

lol i was just thinking that. +1

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I try to set actual finite time limits for game time but my kids will forego a literal measurable round of playing smash ultimate in order to listen to and sing along to the intro theme song in its absolute entirety.

It's like I have secret theatre kids

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
we’re a timer family, went from using a Time Timer(recommend) to asking Siri to set a timer helps. the important thing to remember is that kids can’t set shift well so you need to find a final or some sort of stopping spot with enough notice so the meltdowns don’t happen . like the prep to tell them the current task is going to end makes a different than abruptly changing.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

yeah my kids are too clever and make poo poo up like "bonus minutes" that I'm sure they learned from me while I was lazy.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

demonstrating some real positive work life balance since my kid made a laptop at school with cardboard and all the kids followed which I thought was cool but then after dinner she moves it to the end of our dining table and tells me she has to get back to work in her office and starts typing and other stuff mimicking me since I’ve been in a home office for a year and I don’t leave the room until 6pm daily

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

sonatinas posted:

we’re a timer family, went from using a Time Timer(recommend) to asking Siri to set a timer helps. the important thing to remember is that kids can’t set shift well so you need to find a final or some sort of stopping spot with enough notice so the meltdowns don’t happen . like the prep to tell them the current task is going to end makes a different than abruptly changing.
for whatever reason my kid could just not handle timers, just meltdown after meltdown once it went off or the time passed
however, we (and virtual-k) taught them how to read time on a clock and :woop: the loving SECOND the minute hand reaches whatever time is designated, they're turning the tv off on their own and moving on
it rules and makes transitioning from 'tv time' to the next thing so much easier

have yet to introduce videogames
however there's been a few nights where the kid wanders into the livingroom while me or wife are playing BoTW and they're like 'wait what was that sword guy' before we rush them back to bed

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
I gave my rising 4th grader my old dslite + Chrono Trigger yesterday

drat thing still had a full charge after not being used for longer than the kid's been alive

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
My 6 yo and I played through Goose Game in co-op and it was great. She still jumps into A Short Hike from time to time long after beating it.

We beat everything in Yoshi's Crafted World except the last couple secret levels, and we're doing the Odyssey post game.

Switch has everything you need, and you can't go wrong with the obvious main line of Nintendo games.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

daycare has been going great the little one, she is getting in her naps and it's a super small group of kids, barely even five IIRC, and the lady in charge is super nice and every time I walk up, my girl is just bouncing in her lap or they're on the floor playing/exploring together

The caregiver has off for Eid al-Adha so im going to take a sick day and spend some time with her and i cant wait :3:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

there are some great posts on this page from responsible parents who properly limit screen time and video game time. time for me to offset that

my two older kids (ages 7 and 9), just saw someone walking their shiba ibu outside and excitedly exclaimed "LOOK! IT'S A DOGE!!!"

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

my kids relate everything they see to Zelda or Mario in some capacity.

sometimes Sonic because I'm a good parent

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
my son used to ask when Ryan was going to come over to play

i told him, look buddy, Ryan is worth millions of dollars he wouldn't be caught dead in this house playing with your dollar store plastic dinosaurs

well...not in those words exactly

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

my kids relate everything they see to Zelda or Mario in some capacity.

sometimes Sonic because I'm a good parent

i does sting a bit that my kid is a mario fan and is like eww sonic. I think because even though we as parents have tried to discourage it my kid is just drawn to princess stuff and mario saving peach is her thing, she totally doesn't like daisy since she's not some damsel in distress. When i unlocked Daisy in mario run she told me how much she didn't like daisy's voice and what she was saying, she rather see rosalina talk about her lumas or princess peach stuff. However, she is always concerned about what's going on with Luigi and tells me throughout the day that she gets letters from him saying he needs help.

but maybe it's for the best that she's not into sonic as much looking at the internet....

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Sonic fan content is second to none and my older son will break out into "can't be too mad ya ordered me a chili dog" sometimes.

https://youtu.be/wwOAv2xvx3M

I love this clip because it's 100% Jaleel White talking to himself as two separate Sonics

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Tzen posted:

have yet to introduce videogames
however there's been a few nights where the kid wanders into the livingroom while me or wife are playing BoTW and they're like 'wait what was that sword guy' before we rush them back to bed

lol same exact thing for us

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I think one day I was just like "do you guys want to play a video game?" and we started with a Dreamcast because that is all I had and then I pole vaulted off of their passing enthusiasm and bought a Wii and a GameCube and a Genesis and a PCEngine and a ps1 and a Ps2 and a switch and a Saturn.

we play a lot of Donkey Konga, actually.

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

lol same exact thing for us

my son is gonna be 4 next month and after i put him to bed every night i typically play a few games of rocket league, it's just sorta my thing

lately he's been getting out of bed once or twice after i first say goodnight to "tell us something" which is usually "i love you"

but he's caught me a few times and now occasionally he will ask if we can "play cars"

let me tell u folks, get yourself a spare wireless controller without any batteries in it, works wonders

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I think one day I was just like "do you guys want to play a video game?" and we started with a Dreamcast because that is all I had and then I pole vaulted off of their passing enthusiasm and bought a Wii and a GameCube and a Genesis and a PCEngine and a ps1 and a Ps2 and a switch and a Saturn.

we play a lot of Donkey Konga, actually.

yeah I have just been playing my old wii and DS with my almost 5yr old. I didn’t buy anything after that so I’ll wait until she can actually play a game before I start shelling out for a switch

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i can't wait until my kids are old enough to play paradox games :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

pancake rabbit posted:

my son is gonna be 4 next month and after i put him to bed every night i typically play a few games of rocket league, it's just sorta my thing

lately he's been getting out of bed once or twice after i first say goodnight to "tell us something" which is usually "i love you"

but he's caught me a few times and now occasionally he will ask if we can "play cars"

let me tell u folks, get yourself a spare wireless controller without any batteries in it, works wonders

That can only work for so long, though.