Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrontRowSeat
Jul 14, 2006

I would often visit the local duck pond to contemplate life and consider which duck looked the most delicious.
After having pretty cheap and awful computer chairs most of my life and recently discovering this thread, I'm in the market for either a Steelcase or Herman Miller. I came across someone selling a "like new" Steelcase Think chair on Facebook Marketplace for $225. Apparently it's lacking the lumbar bar, so I'm pretty sure it's a v1 Think chair, since supposedly those came with that as an option (vs the v2 which has it standard). Does anyone have any experience with those? What little reviews I've seen are fairly promising, and the price seems pretty good, but want to see if it's worth the drive and the dough, or if I'd be better off getting a newer version or different chair altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.

FrontRowSeat posted:

After having pretty cheap and awful computer chairs most of my life and recently discovering this thread, I'm in the market for either a Steelcase or Herman Miller. I came across someone selling a "like new" Steelcase Think chair on Facebook Marketplace for $225. Apparently it's lacking the lumbar bar, so I'm pretty sure it's a v1 Think chair, since supposedly those came with that as an option (vs the v2 which has it standard). Does anyone have any experience with those? What little reviews I've seen are fairly promising, and the price seems pretty good, but want to see if it's worth the drive and the dough, or if I'd be better off getting a newer version or different chair altogether.

Honestly before the chair apocalypse..I mean pandemic...that was the price for a used V2.

I'd wait it out.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

$225 seems a lot for a used chair that is guaranteed to be a pre-2015 model (as that was when the Think v2 came out). I have a Think v1 (with lumbar support) that was built in 2006, I got it in 2011 and it was in really good condition, but I only paid £80 for it. It's been quite well used since then and massively more so in the past 18 months and bits are only now starting to fail (I broke a flexor in the seat, the upholstery is starting to wear out), so it's a good chair but you'd want to decide if you wanted to pay $225 for it. $180 would be more reasonable I think, especially as it's not got the lumbar support.

I think the different settings for back tension have been improved on the v2 as well - on the v1 there's very little difference between them - the 'half recline' doesn't really work and the two tension options aren't noticeably different, and this was the case on the 5 Think v1's I bought at the same time.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 10, 2021

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
If it's some guy on Facebook selling it, try to bargain. I got $50 off my Think V2 (I think, made in 2016) based on some tiny damage to fabric and a headrest that was popping out a bit, and that was a furniture reseller.

The reclining angle can't be fixed on these either, but I found that one of the settings usually does what I want. The resistance on the last one is just right to basically maintain any angle with no effort too.

Thanks Ants posted:

I was always told to get your legs at right angles to your thighs, feet flat on the floor. If this isn't the right height for your desk then either lift the chair up and get a footrest, or you need a higher desk.
I was having a similar issue too, before realizing that when the height was right to match my table, it was too far from the floor for my feet to rest properly. I didnt get a footrest yet, but just putting my feet on the wheel legs removes all the pressure from the thighs.

FrontRowSeat
Jul 14, 2006

I would often visit the local duck pond to contemplate life and consider which duck looked the most delicious.
Thanks for all the help, goons. I live in Maine so the local pickin's are slim, but apparently there are some used Leap V2s a couple hours drive down in MA for $325-$350, fully adjustable. This seems like a much better deal, especially considering the Think for sale nearby is a V1, has no lumbar bar, and I'm pretty sure the armrests are fixed. Speaking of which, how important is having the fully adjustable armrests? I see some sites selling "open box" Leaps that are only "height adjustable", is that good enough or are fully adjustable armrests kind of necessary?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I slide my armrests back and forward constantly, I barely even realise that I'm doing it

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

FrontRowSeat posted:

Thanks for all the help, goons. I live in Maine so the local pickin's are slim, but apparently there are some used Leap V2s a couple hours drive down in MA for $325-$350, fully adjustable. This seems like a much better deal, especially considering the Think for sale nearby is a V1, has no lumbar bar, and I'm pretty sure the armrests are fixed. Speaking of which, how important is having the fully adjustable armrests? I see some sites selling "open box" Leaps that are only "height adjustable", is that good enough or are fully adjustable armrests kind of necessary?

I don't use my armrests on my Gesture so I suppose not very?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Can I expect the comfort of the headrest on my Gesture to improve? I feel like it protrudes really far forward, definitely not something where you sit down and instantly love it.

FrontRowSeat
Jul 14, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

I slide my armrests back and forward constantly, I barely even realise that I'm doing it
Is that a good thing? I'm guessing so. As in they move with you, providing support along the way and you don't even have to think about it?

Duck and Cover posted:

I don't use my armrests on my Gesture so I suppose not very?
Good to know. My current chair has no armrests and in some ways I think that might be good. With another chair that does have them, I noticed when I slouch and rest my elbows on them, it pushes my shoulders up and results in my neck/trapezius muscles getting tighter.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ffycchi posted:

Most HM/sc don't have that ability. I think(I may be remembering wrong) the embody does.

It does not, unless there's some weird way to enable it that doesn't involve the lever that actually enables the reclining.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

FrontRowSeat posted:

Is that a good thing? I'm guessing so. As in they move with you, providing support along the way and you don't even have to think about it?

Good to know. My current chair has no armrests and in some ways I think that might be good. With another chair that does have them, I noticed when I slouch and rest my elbows on them, it pushes my shoulders up and results in my neck/trapezius muscles getting tighter.
I do that sometimes too, but when I'm sitting properly, the armrests do help to remove tbe tension, and the adjustable ones are much better than the fixed ones imo. I just wish there was a way to lock them in place sometimes

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Inspector_666 posted:

It does not, unless there's some weird way to enable it that doesn't involve the lever that actually enables the reclining.

Cheers, yeah I haven't used an embody for a good bit haha

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

FrontRowSeat posted:

Speaking strictly for myself, I fidget with the armrests on my Gesture constantly.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Well, I just got these two bad boys for $25 each:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Gothmog1065 posted:

:eyepop:

Well, go on! It sounds like there might be a story there :allears:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Fell off a truck?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Fell off a truck?

Well, rather than fighting with the homeless guy....

Zarin posted:

:eyepop:

Well, go on! It sounds like there might be a story there :allears:

Honestly quite boring. Went to a local furniture reseller, was looking around. They had an assload of SteelCase Think chairs (Canary yellow :barf:), and I was thinking real hard about getting one. He asked what I was looking for, and I said "basically what everybody wants, and Aeron". He said he had some in the corner that were bored out or something (wasn't 'worn'). There were 5. One with an obvious bad gas cylinder, and the other 4 looked to be in pretty drat decent shape. He went on and on about how he knows people who tear them down for parts to make money (Well... why aren't you?). I bought two (I only had my car).

The one I'm in, the back recline makes some noise, and makes a loud 'click' when it's locked in, otherwise it works. The one my wife already stole, the front recline doesn't work right, but she won't use it, and one of the lever handles is missing. Otherwise functional.

I'm probably going to take the truck down and get the other three because gently caress yes.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Gothmog1065 posted:

I'm no Aeron expert, but they seem to be slightly different models? The one on the right has a noticeably different front lip on the seat. Do they still have the manufacture tags on them?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

isndl posted:

I'm no Aeron expert, but they seem to be slightly different models? The one on the right has a noticeably different front lip on the seat. Do they still have the manufacture tags on them?

Mine was made in '99 (It's on the seat of the chair), but it's likely these may have been parts swapped at some point. The base does not have the tag. not sure about the other one, it's in the wife's car now.

Is there a problem/difference?

And I found the 'issue' with mine, the seat frame is broken, which is easily replaceable.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Gothmog1065 posted:

Mine was made in '99 (It's on the seat of the chair), but it's likely these may have been parts swapped at some point. The base does not have the tag. not sure about the other one, it's in the wife's car now.

Is there a problem/difference?

And I found the 'issue' with mine, the seat frame is broken, which is easily replaceable.

Herman Miller remastered the Aeron in 2017, notably moving the pivot point on the recline, among other small changes. Obviously not what you picked up. :v:

There's no doubt been smaller updates to the classic Aeron in the past, I'm guessing these are the ones that are so old that the seller's refurb friend didn't want them for parts.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

If it was one of their remanufactured chairs, please share your thoughts after using it for a bit. I'm curious about how thorough and reliable their remanufacturing process is. It looks good on paper, but seeing some first-hand reports would be nice.

Just got it and put it together. I paid for one that was made in 2020 or 2021 and the tag is dated 5/13/21 so exactly two months old.

The chair looks completely unused as far as I can tell except the locking mechanism is broken on the right arm! The left arm works great but the right one refused to budge when I pressed the button in. Removed the arm assembly (accidentally splitting the plastic cover because I didn't know what I was doing and followed a video for the Leap v1 which comes apart differently) and the little tab that's supposed to lock the arm in position fell out. I guess it snapped off of the mechanism so now the arm is unjammed but it has nothing to keep it in position and just falls to the lowest point.

So pretty poo poo so far! Gonna call them tomorrow and see if they'll send me a new arm.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

isndl posted:

That might be the seat foam insert. The older pre-remastered ones have a little pad you wedge in there. They’re like $10 on Amazon.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I got a Steelcase Criterion a few days ago from a used furniture place, seems really nice so far.

One newbie question, how do you tell if the back height is where you want it? I've tried fully lowered and fully raised for example and both seemed ok initially. Also if I'm sitting up or reclining it seems to vary a little where the ideal spot might be.

Is there a way to tell for office chairs in general?

Also, the Steelcase Criterion doesn't lock in reclined position, since somebody asked about that earlier. Or at least, this one can pick a spot for how far back it goes, but it'll pop back up if you aren't leaning. The place I got it seems nice, Joe's Discount Office Furniture in NH. I mainly went to try a Leap, but the Criterion agreed with my back more than the Leap for some reason. Plus the lower price seemed good for a first try at the brand.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 14, 2021

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Inspector_666 posted:

yeah, it does however have a lever that lets you lean back and that lever has 3 settings, but nothing locks the chair back (in a reclined state)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ffycchi posted:

Cheers, yeah I haven't used an embody for a good bit haha

Heh, I just like any opportunity to casually work in that I have an Embody. :smugdog:

FrontRowSeat
Jul 14, 2006

I'm trying to decide between getting a used "like new" Leap v2 which I was told was made in 2014 and was used in some Boston office before making it to an office liquidation company, which is going for $325-$350 on FB Marketplace. Or ordering a refurbished Leap v2 from btod.com which is a bit more expensive but it seems like they have a pretty thorough refurbishing process and a 12-year warranty. Does anyone have any experience with that site? It seems to be have decent reviews and the BBB doesn't have anything bad to say about it that I can see. I'm a little worried that a used (if only lightly) chair from 2014 may not last terribly long, whereas a recently refurbished one with a 12-year warranty will at least get me 12 years out of it, although it'll cost a bit more.

What do you guys think? Thanks for any and all help with my search.

isndl
May 2, 2012
What's the price difference for the refurb? You still have a few years of warranty on 2014 chair so you can calculate how much you're paying for the extended warranty. The only real worry IMO is the gas cylinder failing (especially if you're on the heavier side), most everything else should last if they aren't already damaged to start.

Also double check the warranty on the refurb to see if it's a manufacturer warranty or their own in-house thing, if it's their own deal look for reviews and decide how much you're willing to trust them.

FrontRowSeat
Jul 14, 2006

Edit: I ended up just pulling the trigger on the Leap v2 from Crandall Office Furniture. Thanks for the all the help, goons!

FrontRowSeat fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 18, 2021

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Yea I’d probably go the Crandall route since they give you a 12 year warranty to go with the chair and a 30 day return policy if you don’t like the chair.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

isndl posted:

What's the price difference for the refurb? You still have a few years of warranty on 2014 chair so you can calculate how much you're paying for the extended warranty.

Will Steelcase honour the original purchaser's warranty on a third-hand chair?
I thought that they specifically did not.

isndl
May 2, 2012

~Coxy posted:

Will Steelcase honour the original purchaser's warranty on a third-hand chair?
I thought that they specifically did not.

You're right in that the official policy is that the warranty is nontransferable, though sometimes all they do is check the manufacture tag. Your mileage may vary.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

my kinda ape posted:

Just got it and put it together. I paid for one that was made in 2020 or 2021 and the tag is dated 5/13/21 so exactly two months old.

The chair looks completely unused as far as I can tell except the locking mechanism is broken on the right arm! The left arm works great but the right one refused to budge when I pressed the button in. Removed the arm assembly (accidentally splitting the plastic cover because I didn't know what I was doing and followed a video for the Leap v1 which comes apart differently) and the little tab that's supposed to lock the arm in position fell out. I guess it snapped off of the mechanism so now the arm is unjammed but it has nothing to keep it in position and just falls to the lowest point.

So pretty poo poo so far! Gonna call them tomorrow and see if they'll send me a new arm.

Update! Crandall Office sent me a replacement arm assembly and the plastic cover for it even though it was my fault the cover broke. Was fairly easy to swap onto the chair and now everything is working great.

Gonna take a little getting used to the 3D mesh fabric I got on the back of the chair since it's a bit more rough feeling than the fake leather of my old chair. Also I must have Cotton Hill shins and a long torso or something because I'm 5'11 with a 28.75" desk (supposedly about ideal for my height?) and to have everything adjusted comfortably/as suggested I've got the chair height almost all the way down and the arm rests almost all the way up :v:

The quality and condition of the chair seem great aside from that initially broken part which they sent quickly after I called them about it and sent them a couple pictures. Although again I did pay extra for a recently made chair and the tag says it's only two months old so it can't have seen too much service before I got it.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 22, 2021

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
I browsed through the local office liquidator's warehouse this afternoon and picked up this guy for a few bucks. I needed something to replace my generic office depot chair. The thing was disgustingly shedding its fake leather like it had an awful sunburn. It looks like one of the many aeron knockoffs and the only tag left on it said "made by reg. no. 01T-1334108" which googles to several knockoffs.

The only thing wrong with it (so far) is that the left armrest swivels loosely as if there's no detent holding it in place like the right one feels like. I took it apart and found that the two plastic loop detents like these had broken. Do you guys have and idea of where to get a few more?

If it's a few cents or a dollar at a radioshack or whatever that would be neat. Otherwise, I'll just live with it until I find ~the perfect chair~ to dump a pile of money on.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Semi-thread-relevant so giving it a shot while I continue hunting for my main chair: I need a stool for a desk. I finally set up my secondary desk again for painting, and I'm sufficiently limited on space that I can't have a chair that sticks out at all when I push it in. The secondary desk isn't used for more than 2, maybe 3 hours at a time and I don't need armrests or a great back on its chair. Sounds like a stool use case. Different height from my regular desk and don't really want to be constantly adjusting my regular chair back and forth (or rolling it back and forth, for that matter). Everyone selling padded stools wants to sell counter height or bar height; this "desk" is 25" high (compared to my normal 29" desk), so even "standard height" might push it a little.

Where the hell do I find stools at? Should I be looking at shop stools or something like that?

(Main chair hunt update: was considering picking up a Zody but the deal sucked on it especially for the travel involved, so still in the Millberget.)

isndl
May 2, 2012

SkyeAuroline posted:

Semi-thread-relevant so giving it a shot while I continue hunting for my main chair: I need a stool for a desk. I finally set up my secondary desk again for painting, and I'm sufficiently limited on space that I can't have a chair that sticks out at all when I push it in. The secondary desk isn't used for more than 2, maybe 3 hours at a time and I don't need armrests or a great back on its chair. Sounds like a stool use case. Different height from my regular desk and don't really want to be constantly adjusting my regular chair back and forth (or rolling it back and forth, for that matter). Everyone selling padded stools wants to sell counter height or bar height; this "desk" is 25" high (compared to my normal 29" desk), so even "standard height" might push it a little.

Where the hell do I find stools at? Should I be looking at shop stools or something like that?

(Main chair hunt update: was considering picking up a Zody but the deal sucked on it especially for the travel involved, so still in the Millberget.)

Ikea has a bunch of course, and you can also try children's furniture for smaller stuff. I'm actually using the Ikea Nilserik with my standing desk, it's adjustable height and has a flat bottom so I can use it on top of the thick anti-fatigue mat from Costco. Not exactly the same use case as you, though.

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
So my office has transitioned to full time WFH which is great, problem is my home office chair is about 30 years old and has no padding whatsoever. I've not been a smart man and have continued to work on this nightmare of a chair for well over a year.

For my non-work time, I have an Embody that lives downstairs, which has been pretty good these last 3 years. Problem is I like to recline and put my feet on the desk when I'm relaxing, and this absolutely kills my tailbone in the Embody; I'm sure the poo poo office chair for 9 hours a day isn't helping either.

So I plan to move the Embody upstairs to the office (where I sit up straight during work), and then get a chair for downstairs that has perhaps a more padded butt cushion and can still recline. I know Ffycchi talks up the Elusion a lot and the price is quite nice. Interested to see if anyone out there has any other recommendations for a chair where reclining with feet on the desk is going to be a common sitting style, bonus for a headrest too. I can't really tell if either of the Steelcase offerings really provide more butt padding or not. Thanks goons!

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

The Rev posted:

I… have continued to work on this nightmare of a chair for well over a year.

The Rev posted:

I have an Embody that lives downstairs

The Rev posted:

I… have continued to work on this nightmare of a chair

The Rev posted:

I have an Embody

The Rev posted:

The Rev posted:

I have an Embody

The Rev posted:

The Rev posted:

I have an Embody

Well you got this part right at least

The Rev posted:

not a smart man

Have you considered maybe not doing the thing that causes you crippling pain?

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

DoctorTristan posted:

Well you got this part right at least

Have you considered maybe not doing the thing that causes you crippling pain?

:cawg:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I see why they call him Doctor Tristan, now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
Hence moving the Embody upstairs and getting a new chair for downstairs. Just looking for any potential recommendations out there for a chair that does well when reclining and has a bit more padding than an Embody?