Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Pistol_Pete posted:

The leaders of the current regime see that all is lost and flee the country, along with their key supporters. Their less important supporters get left behind as the Taliban roll in.

Isn't the international airport the most fortified location in the country? I'd assume they'll just stuff their tax-haven passcodes somewhere and board a plane in the middle of the night bound for anywhere that will give permanent residence for cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
great, more lovely neighbors driving up apartment prices

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

MiddleOne posted:

Isn't the international airport the most fortified location in the country? I'd assume they'll just stuff their tax-haven passcodes somewhere and board a plane in the middle of the night bound for anywhere that will give permanent residence for cash.

Yeah, it'll be like the Americans loving off from Baghram airbase without telling their Afghan allies, except it'll be the Afghan president and prime minister heading for Dubai with suitcases full of loot and a cheery "we'll be back soon, scout's honor!" to their subordinates.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
We can add them to our growing list of 'government-in-exile' losers. Siphon some bank accounts and aid funds.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

If/when the Taliban captures Kabul it will be interesting to see how recognized it is internationally. A government in exile, however pro forma, could be considered legitimate by most of the world for quite a long time.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
I mean most of the current government would consider that a step up from their current situation.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Sinteres posted:

Can't help wondering what the road not taken would have looked like.

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1412925550314893312
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2001/oct/14/afghanistan.terrorism5
*curb your enthusiasm theme starts playing*

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Biden: we did not go to Afghanistan to nation build

Mask slips off in a spectacular way.

Ah and the capital of the northern Alliance and pro CIA haven
MAZAR-E-SHARIF, Afghanistan (AP) —

A powerful warlord in northern Afghanistan and a key U.S. ally in the 2001 defeat of the Taliban blames a fractious Afghan government and an “irresponsible” American departure for the insurgents’ recent rapid territorial gains across the north.

Ata Mohammad Noor, who is among those behind the latest attempt to halt the Taliban advances by creating more militias, told The Associated Press that the Afghan military is badly demoralized. He said Washington’s quick exit left the Afghan military logistically unprepared for the Taliban onslaught

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 9, 2021

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I have a feeling the pro American warlords and militia leaders feel 20 more years would still be too fast of a pullout. I certainly sympathize with people that joined with US forces to drive out the Taliban originally in the hopes that a better solution would solidify, but are they offering a real solution besides “please stay”?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Biden: we did not go to Afghanistan to nation build

Mask slips off in a spectacular way.

i don't know if there's really any mask to have slip, in 2001 we were pretty vocal about it being a war of vengeance, or at best a war for domestic security. i don't remember anyone discussing liberating the people of afghanistan in the same way the concept of liberation got brought up in 2003 during the runup to the invasion of iraq. i don't remember the focus on human rights becoming a thing until later when obl had been in hiding for years and the public was starting to wonder why we were still occupying the country

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i don't know if there's really any mask to have slip, in 2001 we were pretty vocal about it being a war of vengeance, or at best a war for domestic security. i don't remember anyone discussing liberating the people of afghanistan in the same way the concept of liberation got brought up in 2003 during the runup to the invasion of iraq. i don't remember the focus on human rights becoming a thing until later when obl had been in hiding for years and the public was starting to wonder why we were still occupying the country

The focus on women's rights in particular was a big focus very early. Yeah the war itself was obviously about vengeance, but humanitarian messages were pushed alongside that pretty much from the start.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Also the US dropped from a high of 110,000 troops in 2011 to 2,500 at the start of 2021. The US has been closing bases this whole time, including at least 10 base closures in 2020. This is the end of a drawdown that’s been a decade in the making - it’s not a gigantic shock to everyone.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm really surprised things are collapsing so fast. Are we barely even bombing the Taliban anymore, or what? While eastern Syria is obviously an easier situation to manage in terms of terrain, we managed to bomb our proxy forces to victory against ISIS there, so it seems kind of crazy that we can't even manage to help the Afghan army stave off total collapse. It's pretty loving sad if 20 years of nation building, which we were actively attempting to do regardless of what Biden says, couldn't even cobble together a more capable fighting force than the SDF, especially since there wouldn't be the same geopolitical reasons to make sure we didn't give them heavy weapons.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Sinteres posted:

I'm really surprised things are collapsing so fast. Are we barely even bombing the Taliban anymore, or what? While eastern Syria is obviously an easier situation to manage in terms of terrain, we managed to bomb our proxy forces to victory against ISIS there, so it seems kind of crazy that we can't even manage to help the Afghan army stave off total collapse. It's pretty loving sad if 20 years of nation building, which we were actively attempting to do regardless of what Biden says, couldn't even cobble together a more capable fighting force than the SDF, especially since there wouldn't be the same geopolitical reasons to make sure we didn't give them heavy weapons.

Here's a thought: the people who are right now coming to the right age to serve in the Afghan army were born about the time of the invasion or after it. In theory they would be the best motivated to defend the republic in which they grew up? But the problems of the republic and the unending violence are rather obvious and anyone with the resources probably prefers to play it safe and leave the country.

Meanwhile people who grew up in the 90's or before that have been coping with conflict, corruption and disasters for decades now, and in their position I would find it hard to really feel optimistic about anything after so much poo poo. Imagine having witnessed the Soviet occupation, then the government collapse and Taliban rule, then US invasion and occupation, all that time toiling daily to provide bread and medicine for your family and avoiding getting murdered by whoever currently might want to blow up your sorry rear end. I would be a thousand times more cynical if my entire life experience was like that, and I would probably deliver the same cynicism to my offspring.

YPG is perhaps different in that the Kurdish struggle for recognition and independence has been continuing for a while and it's easier to sell their specific nationalism to Kurdish volunteers than it is to convince all Pashtun, Tajik, Hazara and Uzbek conscripts that the idea of an Afghan republic is worth dying for. There's just things that money alone cannot achieve.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Ah and the capital of the northern Alliance and pro CIA haven
MAZAR-E-SHARIF, Afghanistan (AP) —

A powerful warlord in northern Afghanistan and a key U.S. ally in the 2001 defeat of the Taliban blames a fractious Afghan government and an “irresponsible” American departure for the insurgents’ recent rapid territorial gains across the north.

Ata Mohammad Noor, who is among those behind the latest attempt to halt the Taliban advances by creating more militias, told The Associated Press that the Afghan military is badly demoralized. He said Washington’s quick exit left the Afghan military logistically unprepared for the Taliban onslaught

https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-middle-east-ab1a73500ff11f6d650f562a462f5bfe

Some real strong energies going on in that article.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

All these articles are boiling my blood. The same people that are liek DUHH WE'RE DEFENDING THE AFGHANISTAN CONSITUTION AND PROTECTING FREEDOM by bombing weddings, are now like "Yeah that country is a shithole we should leave them to their own fate"

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I advise some grace for anyone making statements regarding Afghanistan right now. It's been a tough situation and a lot of smart and well meaning people are trying to reconcile the years they said, "this is horse poo poo why are we there?" with the actual outcome of why you can't ever leave once you start.

I remember being raised that the US panned on Vietnam and my schools explained that basically America hated it and convinced an obstinate government to leave. I found that narrative very difficult to reconcile once someone enlightened me regarding the executions and displacements that followed. This isnt going to be an easy thing to process, even if you're simultaneously as rational and empathic as you could possibly be.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Kandahar is under siege. District 7 has potentially fallen.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Yeah, the Taliban raided Sarpoza prison on the outskirts of the city yesterday, and apparently it just kind of snowballed. They walked into some areas of Kandahar without a fight.

No one expected that, but then no one expected the early mass surrenders and the collapse of the north either. In hindsight. I'm not sure why , since we are talking about a government that spent two decades unable to regularly pay or supply its own soldiers because every goddamn thing got embezzled.

Imagine what the US could have done with the 2+ trillion dollars that got pissed away on this. China just built a high speed rail network for less than 1 trillion.

Ghetto Prince fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jul 10, 2021

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, like I said before, demoralisation snowballs and nobody wants to be the last guy fighting when everyone else has hosed off already.

When unpaid, undertrained Afghan troops see their comrades all over dying, fleeing, or simply getting paid off by the Taliban to go away, how motivated are they themselves going to be to fight when the Taliban roll into their own district?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The only correctly done occupation is the one that never happens. Just like the violent collapse of Iraq in the aftermath of 2011 and rise of ISIS were the direct consequence of Obama withdrawing, the forces unleashed themselves (empowered sectarian militias, sectarian government policies, dismantled state institutions) were also facilitated by the very same occupation. They were all tools of it, inseparable.

All that said, you'd have to be a complete loony to look at a country like Vietnam today and say that it was the wrong decision by the US to leave. There are things that overwhelming military force just can't nor will ever solve (like 70 years of colonial rule). This is all going to be horrible and there is very little we're going to be able to do about it since we only bring more warlords, kleptocracy and civilian deaths to the table.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

MiddleOne posted:

All that said, you'd have to be a complete loony to look at a country like Vietnam today and say that it was the wrong decision by the US to leave. There are things that overwhelming military force just can't nor will ever solve (like 70 years of colonial rule). This is all going to be horrible and there is very little we're going to be able to do about it since we only bring more warlords, kleptocracy and civilian deaths to the table.

It helps that the north Vietnamese were a lot better than the taliban.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I wont pretend that the Taliban are any good, but I will say that the warlords they're rolling aren't exactly much better.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacha_bazi

E: Hearts and Minds

quote:

In December 2010, a cable made public by WikiLeaks revealed that foreign contractors from DynCorp had spent money on bacha bazi in northern Afghanistan. Afghan Interior Minister Mohammad Hanif Atmar requested that the U.S. military assume control over DynCorp training centres in response, but the U.S. embassy claimed that this was not "legally possible under the DynCorp contract".

"We didnt include a 'dont rape kids' clause in our mercenary contract, sorry folks!"

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jul 10, 2021

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Vasukhani posted:

It helps that the north Vietnamese were a lot better than the taliban.

The Taliban sucks, as does their competition. But we can't strong-arm forth a contender with airstrikes, guns and bribes, that was the last 20 years. Also the soviet invasion. Also the Iran invasion if that fever-dream had ever became a reality.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Taliban: In Maiwand and Zhari districts of Kandahar province, where the road was damaged due to war some time ago, the Reconstruction Commission of the Islamic Emirate has started repairing and rehabilitating the damaged road from Kandahar to Herat.

Kandahar is potentially going through a change of ownership currently.

https://www.dailysabah.com/politics/diplomacy/turkeys-kabul-airport-mission-comes-with-opportunities-and-risks

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 11, 2021

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

lmao at trying to blame Biden for losing Afghanistan instead of the three presidents who didn't build anything that could last a minute beyond our withdrawal over the last 20 years.

https://twitter.com/AlexThomp/status/1413245490003652608

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Sinteres posted:

lmao at trying to blame Biden for losing Afghanistan instead of the three presidents who didn't build anything that could last a minute beyond our withdrawal over the last 20 years.

https://twitter.com/AlexThomp/status/1413245490003652608

Yeah, and the idea that we probably should not have stuck around long after initially routing the Taliban isn't something I would hold against somebody. Especially given the benefit of hindsight.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 11, 2021

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

THis is our exit from the world. Little by little our isolationist future grows brighter. Maybe thats a loving good thing at this point, but I wonder what will occur when we drop our OCONUS base count

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

THis is our exit from the world. Little by little our isolationist future grows brighter. Maybe thats a loving good thing at this point, but I wonder what will occur when we drop our OCONUS base count

I don't think dropping out of a forever war occupation equates to isolationism. The number of US overseas bases has been declining since the end of the Cold War - as has the number of US troops deployed overseas.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Yeah I am sure that the US leaving a war that basically the entire world agrees we should leave is our exit from the world.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Yeah ending the 20 year occupation of a country on the other side of the planet isn't isolationist. On the scale of interventionism where 0 is isolationist and 100 is imperialist, it's going from say 95 down to 90.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ghetto Prince posted:

A serious flaw with US training is that it relied on special forces, which meant stripping all the best leaders and troops out of the regular army. That was fine when the US propped everything up, but now that the US is gone it means the Afghan national defense and security forces are surrendering en masse while the commando's are increasingly exhausted and over worked. The Taliban are aware of this, so when the commando's do prepare an offensive they just leave. The commando's retake one or two districts, but in the meantime the Taliban have taken another dozen , and then released most of the surrendered Afghan national defense forces because it makes them look good and lets them keep moving quickly.

As for Kabul, it won't fall until the provincial capitals are gone, but by that point any peace offer the Taliban make will probably just be accepted as a fait accompli. As of yesterday, the Government of Afghanistan fully controls about 19% of the country and 33% of the population, so as this continues into August and September there's simply going to be no power base left to continue fighting from. Losing the north was fatal to the government, they can't recover from it.

https://www.longwarjournal.org/mapping-taliban-control-in-afghanistan

China has been pretty good about avoiding all the traps the US is baiting for them, and this one is obvious to everyone.

Remember that the Taliban are no longer funding themselves with volunteers and poppy's, their control of the borders with Iran, Tajikistan and China means that they now oversee trade worth billions of dollars. They've already been making reassurances and some overtures to Beijing about economic projects. There were some expansion plans for the China - Pakistan economic corridor that will probably get moved over to the new government , but that's all long term stuff.

I feel like this is perhaps also an overly generous take on Afghan 'special forces', seeing as they were in fact rabid, enthusiastically criminal death squads who served as the Taliban's biggest propaganda asset.

Seriously, you can't understand the fate of the occupation without at least a passing familiarity with the Zero Units.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

THis is our exit from the world. Little by little our isolationist future grows brighter.

The published reason for removing troops from the Middle East is “we want to do more in Europe and East Asia and the Pacific instead”

It’s not isolationist, it’s an attempt to free up resources so the US can have more international presence and influence elsewhere, for better or worse.

(It’s also cause we are tired of it all)

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

mlmp08 posted:

The published reason for removing troops from the Middle East is “we want to do more in Europe and East Asia and the Pacific instead”

It’s not isolationist, it’s an attempt to free up resources so the US can have more international presence and influence elsewhere, for better or worse.

(It’s also cause we are tired of it all)

Then why did we just decide to commit zero soldiers to Haiti on support of our friend the president's rotting corpse government

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Then why did we just decide to commit zero soldiers to Haiti on support of our friend the president's rotting corpse government

becauce the winner will also be friendly to US interests

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

if by some chance the forces in haiti that are hostile to us/canadian mining, agriculture, textile etc interests do take power in haiti, very unlikely, the us has a pretext and is definitely going to foment more disorder and send the troops in

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Because, at this moment, there's no pressing reason to do so?

Not sending in the Marines at the slightest pretext is NOT isolationism.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I dont think the US is as imperialist as people like to say it is, but not taking the first opportunity to invade the first destabilized country you see after a difficult breakup doesn't mean you've gone celibate.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

i say swears online posted:

becauce the winner will also be friendly to US interests

This. Pretty much every potential leader is entirely fine with keeping up the US grift. Last I checked the biggest candidate to use proletariat rhetoric also happens to be a gang leader & mercenary who advanced american interests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

looking very viable right now

those white spots are right now either Kabul, or massive mountains with nobody in them