Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Dip Viscous posted:

Americans seem to be uniquely awful at training their dogs to not be aggressive as gently caress at all times. I'd say that I average being bitten about once every three months. People will get dogs and then just never interact with them again apart from leaving out bowls of food and water so there are angry dogs everywhere. Not even in a fenced back yard or something, people let them just wander around.

I am just blown away by this, once every three months? How? I've got a dog of my own, most of my friends have dogs, am at dog parks pretty frequently, trails, on walks etc....mostly places you'd expect to see other dogs and aside from play biting (which I don't really think counts so let me know if you're including that) I've never been bit that I can remember. I also can't recall anyone I know getting bit, but that could also just be me not hearing about it.

I'm not discounting or calling you a liar, I believe you I'm just amazed that it's so frequent. From your comments it sounds like maybe you live somewhere more rural? We go up to north GA sometimes to stay in a cabin and there's a bunch of families that let their dogs run wild like that. It always makes me anxious driving up through that area because I'm afraid I'll run over someone's dog. The houses are far enough apart though that I've never really interacted with any of them though.

Joey Freshwater has a new favorite as of 14:00 on Jul 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Reminds me of when I went to pick up some reclaimed wood and went out to bumfuck, where "private drive" implies signs about shooting you dead at one end of a mile of gravel. The whole way up this driveway im driving like two mph, with five massive German shepherds flanking my vehicle and jumping up on it and rocking it

Edit:. Oh and then I get there and the guy says the wood is in his basement. A couple beats pass and I'm just like "could... could you get that?" as my mind screams at me to leave

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

Reminds me of when I went to pick up some reclaimed wood and went out to bumfuck, where "private drive" implies signs about shooting you dead at one end of a mile of gravel. The whole way up this driveway im driving like two mph, with five massive German shepherds flanking my vehicle and jumping up on it and rocking it

Edit:. Oh and then I get there and the guy says the wood is in his basement. A couple beats pass and I'm just like "could... could you get that?" as my mind screams at me to leave
"...anyway that's how I found myself shackled to this here pipe. Hope the goons know my posts are a plea for rescue."

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Joey Freshwater posted:

I'm not discounting or calling you a liar, I believe you I'm just amazed that it's so frequent. From your comments it sounds like maybe you live somewhere more rural? We go up to north GA sometimes to stay in a cabin and there's a bunch of families that let their dogs run wild like that. It always makes me anxious driving up through that area because I'm afraid I'll run over someone's dog. The houses are far enough apart though that I've never really interacted with any of them though.

Very rural. Enough to have been chased by coyotes. And those don't even make me mad because they have no owners.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Dip Viscous posted:

Very rural. Enough to have been chased by coyotes. And those don't even make me mad because they have no owners.
Yeah I'm gonna back you up on this one. We have the same problem where I am out in the sticks. You don't walk alone at night without a weapon of some sort.

God help you if you come across Dobby the loving goddamn chihuahua. Little gently caress has ripped off half my pants leg and took a ton of skin with it. I'm more scared of him than a bobcat. He's so fast.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Only sort of related but I got chased by a Coyote in Chicago once. No not like out in the suburbs, I was in Lincoln Park.

Those fuckers are everywhere and I hate them.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah coyotes can basically be found in the US at least wherever there are people. I've not been chased by them but I'm pretty sure I saw a pack in central Minneapolis.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Can confirm, coyotes all around Portland as well. Seems like they only just recently got to my neighborhood though, surprise surprise it was right after they demolished a few blocks of woods for a new apartment/condo complex. We also saw a huge increase in rabbits, raccoons, and possums right around that time...

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
That one lady in Halifax got loving eaten by coyotes (along with her TWO dogs iirc?). Kill 'em all I say.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That one lady in Halifax got loving eaten by coyotes (along with her TWO dogs iirc?). Kill 'em all I say.

This is apparently only one of two recorded deaths to coyotes in the US and Canada ever.

https://www.humanesociety.org/resources/coyotes-people-encounters

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

quote:

Coyote attacks on people are very rare. More people are killed by errant golf balls and flying champagne corks each year than are bitten by coyotes.

lmao

I mean sad for those people but lmao.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Death by champagne cork is great just due to the extreme tonal shift that must accompany each occurrence

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

lmao

I mean sad for those people but lmao.

I just know that there's someone out there who lost a loved one that way and is getting increasingly frustrated that no one will take their campaign to ban golf seriously.

Coyotes getting too tame (because people feed them, intentionally or otherwise) and going after pets is definitely a thing, which is just one reason I will never let my cats outside.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
For the most part coyotes are going to avoid humans, and if they're attacking one, it's likely that said human is too close to a den with cubs.

That said, coyotes are everywhere, I watched a documentary once, and at one point, there are some experts driving around in a van around Chicago (both downtown and in the suburbs) pointing them out. At one point there was one hiding out on the other side of a car where two people were conversing on the front porch.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Brawnfire posted:

Death by champagne cork is great just due to the extreme tonal shift that must accompany each occurrence

I'm probably just underestimating the force that corks fly at, but all I can imagine is a flying cork hitting someone in the glasses Final Destination-style and they go out with a cartoonishly gruesome shattered glass to the eye wound.

Iron Crowned posted:

For the most part coyotes are going to avoid humans, and if they're attacking one, it's likely that said human is too close to a den with cubs.

That said, coyotes are everywhere, I watched a documentary once, and at one point, there are some experts driving around in a van around Chicago (both downtown and in the suburbs) pointing them out. At one point there was one hiding out on the other side of a car where two people were conversing on the front porch.

Yeah once you learn to notice them you never stop seeing them everywhere. I saw them in the loving Bronx.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 15:36 on Jul 7, 2021

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The camera has to be at ground level to catch the blood pooling among shattered glass, and then shift depth of field to THE CORK

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm probably just underestimating the force that corks fly at, but all I can imagine is a flying cork hitting someone in the glasses Final Destination-style and they go out with a cartoonishly gruesome shattered glass to the eye wound.

Yeah once you learn to notice them you never stop seeing them everywhere. I saw them in the loving Bronx.

Corks travel at 55+ mph out of the bottle and they're really hard. Catch one in your eye wrong an it will explode your eyeball. You don't even need glasses.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Iron Crowned posted:

There's a lone coyote that lives by me. My dog tells me if he's around. My dog doesn't like the coyote. She won't go out if coyote is running around. You can hear him at night sometimes but he doesn't hurt anyone. He's got plenty of small woodland creatures to eat.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

docbeard posted:

This is apparently only one of two recorded deaths to coyotes in the US and Canada ever.

https://www.humanesociety.org/resources/coyotes-people-encounters

One on hand, totally believable stats. On the other, killed != running like hell while making GBS threads yourself. Those things are terrifying for how small they are.

Edit: I did not actually poo poo myself, but maybe it would have been a good move to deter the attack.

Dip Viscous has a new favorite as of 05:11 on Jul 8, 2021

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Person: (sends me an instant message) I need you to look at a slide deck for me at [link]

Me: (Opens link, there are four slide decks there.) Which one?

Person:

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

I appreciate having Discord's corner popups for message previews, but holy hell why does it seem to take up so much more on-screen priority than what it actually displays? Almost every time I'm lazily scrolling down a thread or something, and my cursor is somewhere in the right third of my screen, I'll get a message and scrolling just stops working until the notification goes away or I realize what's happening and move my cursor to the left side of the screen instead.

That's so weird that the notification draws a huge box that doesn't get used, why isn't the active "window" or whatever for the notifications strictly just the little corner rectangle that pops up?

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
This is very specific, but as someone who works out, has learned a fair bit about working out and would gladly help others start working out, it's very frustrating when people, most often women, say they don't want to do resistance training because they don't want to look too muscular. I don't know precisely why it's so frustrating to me; I think it's because they make it seem like if you're not careful you're gonna wake up looking like Terry Crews after 3 full-body sessions while I'm here working out every day for years, counting macros, eating WAY too much for a human and still looking like a discount Tom Ellis.

Just to be clear, I'm 100% OK with people not doing resistance training or working out at all, it's just the excuse that bugs me, especially since I think it's sincere; people really think that they're going to achieve what takes people years of full-time commitment (and drugs) by mistake and go "Oh no! I've reached 8% body fat what am I gonna do my life is ruined!"

Edit:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Lol if you don’t want to look like Terry Crews

This is also a very good point

CordlessPen has a new favorite as of 21:01 on Jul 8, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Peeve: People obsessed/so hooked into the whole 'perpetually taking photos of yourself and constantly sharing them' aspect of instagram/snapchat/modern social media that they just cannot understand people who don't.
I've been dipping my toes back onto a (norwegian) queer dating site, and it's just obnoxious how many people complain and moan when you don't take a couple pictures a day to share with them, even though all you've really done is chat a bit.
I've already shared a bunch of pics and said I don't particularly care for taking more, so people who just keep on going 'more more more' are people I just end up going 'you know, this is probably not going to work out.' to, which they tend to get whiny about.

Also people who want to have perpetual chats that never ever stop, and just keep replying almost instantly whenever you reply, and get snippy when you take some time away from the phone. They too tend to not really get that some people don't enjoy being on their phone all day.
I just find it so draining when the phone just keeps plinging away, and the more attention I give them the more they demand.

I guess both peeves feed out of the whole 'tired of people who can't disengage from their shiny black dopamine rectangle' thing. Which I assume covid has made much, much worse.
I'm fine with having conversations in person/voice and the like, I just find my phone plinging away all loving day to be so obnoxious I just mute it. I think it's the constant context switching / on/off nature of it that just drives me up the loving wall.

And yeah, I'm upfront about all of this, but people are very good at seeing signs going 'this specifically means -you-', and thinking it applies to someone else.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

:yeah:

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

All of that sounds really exhausting and awful and I totally get it. It's fine if people want to take and post photos of themselves and have group chats or whatever but if they get mad at you for not wanting to do the same then that's hosed up. The always-on nature of social media just doesn't work for some people (like me!) and being pressured to participate sucks :smith:

This also reminds me of how much I hate being in other people's photos. My ex's family would constantly take family pictures (even when there wasn't any kind of special occasion!) and force me to be in them and I always felt uncomfortable and looked miserable in almost every one of them. Another bonus to no longer being together! :buddy:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My kid will legit talk non-stop in a loud voice unless I ask her a direct question, then she either uses a hollow whisper or says nothing at all. Where's that voice when I need it? Saving that bit for two hours after bedtime, are we?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

There’s an apocryphal story about someone telling Schwarzenegger they didn’t want to train too hard because they didn’t want to look like him and Arnold laughing in their face and saying don’t worry you won’t.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I've known people with a similar issue, they'll easily talk 2x as loud as necessary while you're in the room with them / talking on the street, but the moment you step away into the neighboring room they become inaudible.

HOLY gently caress posted:

The always-on nature of social media just doesn't work for some people (like me!) and being pressured to participate sucks :smith:

Yeah, it's no problem to me that they engage in it on their own, but it does feel like they expect everyone else to participate at the same level, whether they're aware of it or not.

And absolutely, people just snapping away pictures of you are hella tedious. Atleast in the old days people were capped by how many images they could take before they ran out of film / floppy disk space / early-memorycard space, now everything warrants a ton of images.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I don't know why this bothers me so much, but just "really?" as a response.

"Oh dang, it won't let me download the file."
"Really?"

Yeah. Really.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Brawnfire posted:

Yeah. Really.

Games that autosave but still ask if you really want to save.

Nah, game, I'm just fuckin' with you. Don't save.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Dip Viscous posted:

Games that autosave but still ask if you really want to save.
Games that have no option to manually save but still warn you when you try to quit that you'll lose unsaved progress. Like, what the gently caress do you want me to do about it? It's out of my hands.

In fact, games that have no option to manually save. Just let me save the game. What year is this?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

Games that have no option to manually save but still warn you when you try to quit that you'll lose unsaved progress. Like, what the gently caress do you want me to do about it? It's out of my hands.

In fact, games that have no option to manually save. Just let me save the game. What year is this?

Thank loving god a lot of games have a “suspend” mode where it’ll save on quit and then get rid of the save after so it can get rid of savescumming but still let you leave when you want to.

E:The SMTIII remaster added one and holy poo poo it rules I can’t imagine actually having to find a save point to stop playing this. They’re so badly spaced.

Ugly In The Morning has a new favorite as of 11:27 on Jul 11, 2021

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Thank loving god a lot of games have a “suspend” mode where it’ll save on quit and then get rid of the save after so it can get rid of savescumming but still let you leave when you want to.
Nah, just let people save the drat game. If I want to go back and replay a bit, why the gently caress shouldn't I be able to?

It's the one complaint I have about Cloudpunk. There are a few timed deliveries and I failed one because my computer did something weird and alt-tabbed me out of the game for no apparent reason. Can't redo it though because there are no manual saves. It's not like it has a huge impact, but why not just let me retry something if I don't like how it went? Or if I just really liked a bit and want to play it again?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Any kind of ironman mode should just be a toggle. Who gives a poo poo if someone savescums in a single player game?

That's related to a huge peeve of main with paradox games: mods disable achievements. Again, it's a single player game. I don't care if someone downloads a cheat mod to get achievements. Especially when SAM exists.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Savescumming is one of those things where it’s easy and tempting and can absolutely lead to the player having a worse time (and also raising a stink about that worse time) and I get why devs take efforts to avoid it. And I say that as a former savescummer. It was one thing with old school poo poo where difficulty wasn’t more or less a highly experimented with and figured out thing but these days there’s types of games that work based on “whoops, now I know I shouldn’t have done that” which doesn’t work with savescumming.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

A short while back I posted here about a small pet peeve of YouTube videos where people pretend their pet is using language through labeled buzzers. Which is very stupid, but mostly harmless.
Today I came across this video which dives deeper into the subject, specifically the quackery of teaching apes to use language. It starts with the piss poor science and follows up with the animal abuse. If you’re already familiar with ethology and its history, this video might not reveal anything new, but I think it’s a pretty solid primer on the subject and an engaging video.

The text on the thumbnail is “Prepare for some weapons grade ooftonium”. There is nothing graphic or explicit, but it gets pretty intense towards the end indeed.

https://youtu.be/e7wFotDKEF4

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Savor this moment friends, for in this unheard-of time, Tiggum was 100% correct about something.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

docbeard posted:

Savor this moment friends, for in this unheard-of time, Tiggum was 100% correct about something.
The most annoying thing about Tiggum is that every now and then he rolls a 1 and has a correct take.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Any kind of ironman mode should just be a toggle. Who gives a poo poo if someone savescums in a single player game?

That's related to a huge peeve of main with paradox games: mods disable achievements. Again, it's a single player game. I don't care if someone downloads a cheat mod to get achievements. Especially when SAM exists.

Also: let me toggle acheivement notifcations off. I don't care about them, and they can pop up at really intrusive moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

We carpeted our stairs! Now our cats lay on them. One of our cats blends in quite well!