Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
These dumb motherfuckers didn't update their version control system in 15 loving years and instead of doing their due-dilligence on if there are any process breaking changes in the updates, or doing incremental rollouts or other sensible moves, they loving just yolo'd straight to the newest version and are now surprised that it loving broke everything.

There are weeks, and then there are weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
I hate Jira Service Management more than I have ever hated a piece of software in my life, and that’s saying a lot. So many missing features compared to literally any other ticket system, all so that their partners can nickel and dime you to death in their add-on marketplace.

Today I discovered that if tech support replies to a customer and attaches a file on the comment, it doesn’t actually send the file. It sends a link to the file which they have to login to the JSM portal to retrieve. Who does that?

I’ve started complaining on existing feature requests that have been sitting out there for ages, so I also get the treat of seeing every other person adding their +1 to the requests for basic-rear end features.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I took a vacation for the first time in forever , and wanted to make a point about shutting down my mail and phone. I figured the day before I go would be a good day to wind down, and I was copied in on a discussion arranging a site visit for things I’m not really involved in any longer. I can stand around and drink coffee pretty well so I show up at 0800. The coworker who was supposed to be there showed up an hour late without telling anyone he was delayed. I got the work done with the other vendors and he walks in and asks if we’re ready to start.

After work I went for a burger and some pops to celebrate vacation. However we had cooling failure at a data center and my coworkers didn’t answer their phones. I ended up logging in to deal with that.

While on vacation a coworker texts me asking if I had time to check on a chat bot I built that wasn’t working and hoped my vacation was going well.

So yeah the week and a half off was great, but I think I have some discussion when I get back with the boss.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

You just gotta take Nancy Reagan's advice and just say no

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Yeah , I am going to set some bounds here while I continue to move towards changing jobs. I’ll make some rules myself for once.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

I hate Jira Service Management more than I have ever hated a piece of software in my life, and that’s saying a lot. So many missing features compared to literally any other ticket system, all so that their partners can nickel and dime you to death in their add-on marketplace.

Today I discovered that if tech support replies to a customer and attaches a file on the comment, it doesn’t actually send the file. It sends a link to the file which they have to login to the JSM portal to retrieve. Who does that?

I’ve started complaining on existing feature requests that have been sitting out there for ages, so I also get the treat of seeing every other person adding their +1 to the requests for basic-rear end features.

Yeah this is an absolute nightmare - app ecosystems on SAAS products have gone from being a useful thing to being the absolute kiss of death for useful feature development.

Bigcommerce presents themselves as the B2B SAAS ecommerce platform but it doesn't have loving purchase order number support and it never will because there are partners with incredibly hacky clientside apps that use JS to append on onto your order comment which is "good enough". Good luck with your integration.

I've been following this on the jira side:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-72429

because it's utterly baffling to me that they think this:

is a sensible way of displaying a ticket that you've pasted two different URLs into.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Clearly this is a great way to hide phishing links

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Partycat posted:

Yeah , I am going to set some bounds here while I continue to move towards changing jobs. I’ll make some rules myself for once.

In an ideal world, your boss should be fighting tooth and nail to let PTO be PTO and be completely disconnected. Mine is pretty good and does this; it would have to be a world-ending type of event where Im the only person that can solve it for him to even consider contacting me on vacation.

Except for the “hey don’t forget to submit your timesheet” text I got because of the holiday weekend/end of month, but I don’t blame him for that, just accounting and their hard-on for capitalizing as much labor as possible for that ebitda.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Came in at 8:00 to restart/update some servers while our MSP network guy creates some port channels to our servers on the new switches.

Somehow the fortiswitches basically don’t wanna vlan anymore. Did get to have my kid in here for a few hours since I can’t do poo poo and can’t leave. Just had Jimmy Johns and might grab some Starbucks, it’s almost 2:30. Wish I had a couch in my office so I could nap.

I want to do this network all over from scratch.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

devmd01 posted:

In an ideal world, your boss should be fighting tooth and nail to let PTO be PTO and be completely disconnected. Mine is pretty good and does this; it would have to be a world-ending type of event where Im the only person that can solve it for him to even consider contacting me on vacation.

Except for the “hey don’t forget to submit your timesheet” text I got because of the holiday weekend/end of month, but I don’t blame him for that, just accounting and their hard-on for capitalizing as much labor as possible for that ebitda.

One of the reasons I really love my current boss, occured while my wife was having our second baby. I was out for a couple weeks, and my wife had gone into labor. She was actually a sleep for a couple hours and I peaked at my email for a sec, and I saw a question that I could quickly answer and I sent an email. A couple seconds later my boss texted me "turn off your phone, I don't want to see any emails from you."

In contrast to my first kid where my boss at $AWFUL_JOB tried to press me to have her induced so we could schedule some projects around it.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime

Jerk McJerkface posted:

One of the reasons I really love my current boss, occured while my wife was having our second baby. I was out for a couple weeks, and my wife had gone into labor. She was actually a sleep for a couple hours and I peaked at my email for a sec, and I saw a question that I could quickly answer and I sent an email. A couple seconds later my boss texted me "turn off your phone, I don't want to see any emails from you."

In contrast to my first kid where my boss at $AWFUL_JOB tried to press me to have her induced so we could schedule some projects around it.

I had an accounts manager from a VAR boast to me once how he was still replying to work emails when his wife was giving birth.

Not quite sure why he thought I would be impressed by that. He was pretty suprised when I was like "Nah gently caress that mate".

Thing pissing me off today:

Broke a VM trying to fix the hypervisor. Backups failed on Friday as Veeam couldnt access the server to grab snapshots.
Shut the guest OSes down and rebooted the hypervisor. Run the backup again and all seems fine.
Bring the VMs back online one by one, and they all fire up nice and quick apart from the DB server.
Must be installing updates, I think. After 30 mins it finally pops up and I log in to it. Slow as gently caress.
Check event viewer and most of the DB services failed to start due to timeout.
Reboot again. Same problem. Resource monitor is fine, hypervisor is running fine.
DB application works, but is slow.

gently caress it, I'll just spin up a new VM, install the DB and copy the data over. Cannot be bothered with it any more - I want to watch the football.

Whipstickagostop fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 11, 2021

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Jerk McJerkface posted:

lmao what the gently caress. My current boss took me to lunch the first week, wherein I finally dropped that my wife was due with twins in about two months. He was happy for me and had no problem with the the time off so soon after joining. It’s a good company culture here; they really take care of their people.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I will kill the motherfucker at Microsoft who came up with “shake to minimize all”

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I agree with that. The only
Communication from you to work in that sort of situation is to announce the arrival of your new pride and joy. Only comms back should be congratulations and some flowers.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Lum posted:

Now 5 mins before the end of the day had my boss call asking how to bulk-run a powershell script against a list of non-domain servers, but was able to point him at the template script I wrote for doing that.

Time to spread the good word of Get-Content and foreach.... on Monday.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

mllaneza posted:

Time to spread the good word of Get-Content and foreach.... on Monday.

That's basically how it works, but it's also got some stuff to enable PSRemoting via psexec because something keeps turning it off and no-one wants to investigate why because these boxes are going away Real Soon Now (tm) and the last person who knows how they work quit a while back

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
I accepted a new job after getting laid off, only to find out just how bad their infrastructure was.
* 10 year old switch that crashes whenever anyone logs into it
* SAN with no support contract sitting on the floor
* Unlicensed software everywhere
* Refusal from upper management to update/upgrade/spend any money

After my first day, I thought of superstars on here like Dick Trauma and I effing bailed.
Thank you all for teaching me just how bad it can be, and not to put up with absolute garbage.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

nitrogen posted:

I accepted a new job after getting laid off, only to find out just how bad their infrastructure was.
* 10 year old switch that crashes whenever anyone logs into it
* SAN with no support contract sitting on the floor
* Unlicensed software everywhere
* Refusal from upper management to update/upgrade/spend any money

After my first day, I thought of superstars on here like Dick Trauma and I effing bailed.
Thank you all for teaching me just how bad it can be, and not to put up with absolute garbage.

I seriously have to wonder at the longevity of a company that goes through the trouble of the hiring process, settles on a candidate who after seeing the eldritch horror that is their infrastructure and noping the gently caress out, and does zero self reflection.

Anyways, grats on the dodged bullet my dude.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

New minor irritation: slack added a 'bookmark' feature that puts a banner at the top of a chat window, and then when you alt+tab away it animates away after 5-10 seconds. This animation constantly pulls my attention back to slack because it makes me think there's an update but nope it's just a stupid text banner.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Raerlynn posted:

I seriously have to wonder at the longevity of a company that goes through the trouble of the hiring process, settles on a candidate who after seeing the eldritch horror that is their infrastructure and noping the gently caress out, and does zero self reflection.

Anyways, grats on the dodged bullet my dude.

They will convince themselves that it's all the problem of the individual and nothing to do with their leadership or the wider culture within the business. I bailed from a place a few years back that was blaming someone who had left five years previously for internal processed being a complete mess.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I know a few of you work at hospitals... What (if anything) do you use for visitor tracking, and how do you like it?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Thanatosian posted:

I know a few of you work at hospitals... What (if anything) do you use for visitor tracking, and how do you like it?

We use a system called Fast Pass here at my hospital -> https://siscocorp.net/fast-pass-classic/

It works well enough, mainly we just set it up and let security do whatever they do with it.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
The guy who hired me and then immediately got fired loving ordered me a starter laptop of an m1 air with only 8gb of ram.
I can't loving do my job because I need a million tabs open to reference other peoples email boxes and poo poo to figure out what the gently caress what going on at this place and I keep hitting max out on ram and pages keep crashing and I'm going to LOSE MY loving MIND.
Yes i've order myself a replacement laptop and am waiting on it.

I've audibly screamed at least once today.

Also previous guy literally didn't document like 90% of the poo poo he was doing so every day is a new "hey um can do you do this? It doesn't seem like its been done for a few months"

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

Newer guy in a different department keeps trying to skirt around procedure to get his problems taken care of right away. Really annoying when I get a meeting request out of the blue after hours on the weekend and they expect me to be in a morning meeting. Not happening.

Also not happening is me going around change control by declaring your issue an emergency. It doesn't help his case when the last time he was trying to pin a problem on me, it was demonstrated within 5 minutes by a vendor that the issue was with his coding.

Thankfully my supervisors are all aware of the issue and support me.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Why do gen-xers type like this.. .
We don't need an ellipses on every sentence ...

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Look, when you grow up with possibility of your life ending in a nuclear fireball, it leaves you very unsure when trying to structure sentences.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Gen Xers type like *this*...

Millennials TyPe LiKe tHiS

Amirite folks? Huh? Typing, y'all. Right?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

regulargonzalez posted:

Gen Xers type like *this*...

Millennials TyPe LiKe tHiS

Amirite folks? Huh? Typing, y'all. Right?

there's a few coworkers that always use u instead of you and various other oddities, which gen is that from?

this isn't even on mobile or slack. they will do this on work related emails typed on a laptop

Impotence fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 12, 2021

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o

Biowarfare posted:

there's a few coworkers that always use u instead of you and various other oddities, which gen is that from?

this isn't even on mobile or slack. they will do this on work related emails typed on a laptop

That's from the "only 160 characters for a text message on early mobile phones when you had to press numbers multiple times to get the letters to cycle through" era. A lot of my friends do it, so 80s born people.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

silicone thrills posted:

The guy who hired me and then immediately got fired loving ordered me a starter laptop of an m1 air with only 8gb of ram.
I can't loving do my job because I need a million tabs open to reference other peoples email boxes and poo poo to figure out what the gently caress what going on at this place and I keep hitting max out on ram and pages keep crashing and I'm going to LOSE MY loving MIND.

Also previous guy literally didn't document like 90% of the poo poo he was doing so every day is a new "hey um can do you do this? It doesn't seem like its been done for a few months"

I’m this close to ordering whatever T-series they have in stock at CDW, on our work account

Yolo

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

CARES act was nice inasmuch as my boss let me order an XPS 17", 32 gb ram, 4k screen, 2060 gpu. Is there still CARES money out there? If so you should look into that so you can justify a high end laptop on the taxpayer's dime.

E: I'm playing around with Windows 11 and you can no longer right click on the taskbar to get to Task Manager which is really stupid and dumb

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 12, 2021

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
2060? You'll need at least a 3090 to drive all those hardware accelerated chrome tabs. Work necessity.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I already ordered myself a 16" mbp with with 32gb. Its what I initially requested anyway because I know what this job entails.

My new boss is the CTO and apparently I will always report directly to him and he told me to order people what they loving need. We're profitable.

I've got around 1000 ipads to manage, jamf, Google work space, putting a windows mdm in place, etc. Huge work load in front of me and having chrome tabs crash out every couple of minutes is a serious loving problem.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

As part of my testing and evaluation process, I determined it can actually run Cyberpunk at medium details at 1080 and can max out Skyrim

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

silicone thrills posted:

Did you hook yourself up with a sweet rig? *Nvm, you answered above.

One benefit of working from home is I can call people morons, often, without worrying about hurting feelings.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hughmoris posted:

One benefit of working from home is I can call people morons, often, without worrying about hurting feelings.

Except on zoom meetings, treat the mic like a gun. It's always loaded.

CapMoron
Nov 20, 2000
Forum Veteran

silicone thrills posted:

I've got around 1000 ipads to manage jamf.

This is how I read that in my head initially (without the comma) and was wondering if you managed each endpoint in its own iPad, or you had to stop using one after a session and couldn't use it again.

It makes more sense after seeing the comma.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

CapMoron posted:

This is how I read that in my head initially (without the comma) and was wondering if you managed each endpoint in its own iPad, or you had to stop using one after a session and couldn't use it again.

It makes more sense after seeing the comma.

That would be super hilarious.

This place is absolutely cracking me up. It is the ultimate startup growing pains situation where our customer facing products are much better, cleaner, sensibly done and literally nothing in house has ever been managed to I'm really starting from scratch in that particular manner.

I was also crying when I realized Google workspace has no logical work flow to decom a users email and hold open an archived share so their manager can view it.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

silicone thrills posted:

That would be super hilarious.

This place is absolutely cracking me up. It is the ultimate startup growing pains situation where our customer facing products are much better, cleaner, sensibly done and literally nothing in house has ever been managed to I'm really starting from scratch in that particular manner.

I was also crying when I realized Google workspace has no logical work flow to decom a users email and hold open an archived share so their manager can view it.

uhhh not sure what you mean by archived share but the mailbox transfer tool works fine?

Also if you haven’t started using GAM for gsuite automation yet you really should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
gently caress programs that open your email client and pre-populate an email for you to give feedback on why you're uninstalling. It just feels so much more invasive than opening a web form for the same thing, and that's annoying enough.