Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Fuligin posted:

bg3 feels much more like actually playing dnd then any of the others lol. I mean whether that's a good or bad thing may vary to taste ofc

I totally agree that BG3 accurately captures that tabletop roleplaying experience, but that's because of Larian's approach to game design not the ruleset imho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kagrenac
Jan 14, 2017

Volte posted:

And also using the D&D 5e ruleset, which seems like kind of a big distinction from D:OS. The action economy of 5e (movement, action, bonus action, reaction) is completely different from D:OS (Fallout-style action points).

5e D&D also has extremely simple and limited character creation to the point where some fighter levels didn't have a single option.

It's still a great game from what I played of the first act but it's not the D:OS 3 I was hoping it would be.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Antigravitas posted:

Dishonored 2 has some inspired architecture. And I don't mean the Clockwork Mansion interior. That one has gotten a lot of praise for the bonkers level of effort that went into it and how amazing it feels to slip into its mechanisms. But what I mean is the incredible care that went into every building in the game. Like The Grand Palace. It's an incredible piece of architecture that tells you a lot of about the person who commissioned it and how they relate to the land that they govern. It's a fortress in a style that looks like some sort of mediterranean modernism. It is not just geographically sequestered from the city, its architecture is starkly different. It looks like the seat of power of a rich rear end in a top hat and autocrat, and it is.

e:

Look at this thing:

I loved that stage, definitely one of my favorite pieces of architecture in any game.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Kagrenac posted:

5e D&D also has extremely simple and limited character creation to the point where some fighter levels didn't have a single option.

It's still a great game from what I played of the first act but it's not the D:OS 3 I was hoping it would be.

They shoulda used D&D fourth edition. Dumb nerds kept complaining that it felt too videogamey, so why not use it for that purpose for once? :arghfist::saddowns:

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Dishonored chat made me think of Deathloop and I thought it had been delayed to 2022, but apparently it's set for September...? Cool.

Guess I had it mixed up because it was actually delayed last year. Time is meaningless now.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Perestroika posted:

They shoulda used D&D fourth edition. Dumb nerds kept complaining that it felt too videogamey, so why not use it for that purpose for once? :arghfist::saddowns:
Wizards would never allow it. The whole point is to capitalize on 5e's success.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I just completed Dragon Age Origins! :toot:

- Combat was really tedious and unfun by the end
- The writing was stellar, especially everything involving the dwarves and deep roads. I loved the world building and most of the character work. Great stuff!
- The epilogue being so flexible and comprehensive felt really, really good. Looking up the alternative choices was cool.
- My elf mage got to go hang out with the Grey Wardens with Zevran in a happy ending :kimchi:

Onwards to DA2!

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

StrixNebulosa posted:

Onwards to DA2!

lol. Looking forward to the trip report on this one.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Dragon Age Origins was a great game. I'm glad there were no sequels or spin offs and Bioware decided to make a one off game. Yup.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

ErrEff posted:

I kinda hate Star Wars now thanks to Disney but at least Fallen Order was trying to do something interesting with it. I think they were both restricted by what the rotting husk of LucasArts/LucasFilm the Star Wars licensing office was willing to let them do with the property and EA wanting it to be a mass-appeal product.

Late game/ending spoilers: I liked how they introduced nightsisters into the story, but forcing Darth Vader in at the end was loving stupid as heck and probably something mandated from up above because "cool twist, recognizable character makes fans go clap!". The game's story almost managed to exist as its own thing, almost.

Nah that bit ruled.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

StrixNebulosa posted:

I just completed Dragon Age Origins! :toot:

[...]

Onwards to DA2!

Looking forward to that recap lmao

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Eason the Fifth posted:

lol. Looking forward to the trip report on this one.

Antigravitas posted:

Looking forward to that recap lmao

What I know about DA2:

- reuses assets so heavily that DAO was 20 gigs, and DA2 is 10. christ.
- If I don't like Hawke I'm hosed
- Combat is better? Maybe?
- Nowhere near as expansive or interesting as DAO

So my expectations are lowered and I'm ready for anything... including uninstalling it and installing DAI instead so I can get my single player MMO fix!

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

What I know about DA2:

So my expectations are lowered and I'm ready for anything... including uninstalling it and installing DAI instead so I can get my single player MMO fix!

It's not the worst thing ever. For a Dragon Age sequel it's mighty close, though. Some people like it and I can see why. Most end up shaking their heads, wondering where all that supposed creative talent and energy disappeared.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

SirSamVimes posted:

Nah that bit ruled.

Yeah, I'm no Star Wars fan but Vader was great even if I didn't like the ending.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 11, 2021

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I did something similar for DA:I (that is, played Origins and 2 so I could have the full story). Origins was fun and interesting with good characterization and a few bad parts, like the Deep Roads. Not to cloud your own opinion, but I found the opposite was true with 2: unfun and boring with poor characterization but a few good parts. I rushed through it just to finish the thing (even completely missed a party character) and don't remember much about it.

DA:I I really did enjoy, though. You'll like that one for sure.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Eason the Fifth posted:

I did something similar for DA:I (that is, played Origins and 2 so I could have the full story). Origins was fun and interesting with good characterization and a few bad parts, like the Deep Roads. Not to cloud your own opinion, but I found the opposite was true with 2: unfun and boring with poor characterization but a few good parts. I rushed through it just to finish the thing (even completely missed a party character) and don't remember much about it.

DA:I I really did enjoy, though. You'll like that one for sure.

"the deep roads are bad" :wrong:

Well, to be more nuanced: I found all of the dwarven lore, and exploring hosed up dwarven ruins was GREAT. It also helped(?) that since I found the combat bad almost everywhere that it didn't matter to me that there was a lot of it. Finding Branka was easily the best sequence in all of DAO.

DA2 initial impressions: woah, this was designed around a controller. I commented on this and my BFF was all "ah, as all bad games are" and lol I don't know that they're wrong.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is there a way to remove the community content section on the game pages?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

What I know about DA2:

It's the best if you lean into sarcastic rear end in a top hat Hawke. For your companions, you can become "rivals" rather then just accruing dislike and get into more heated arguments/exchanges where you can call bullshit on their opinions and ideas but not kick them out of the party. There's a similar mechanic for the romances too iirc.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Givin posted:

I haven't even booted it up but does it do the Larian thing where in multiplayer the only person who gets to interact with NPCs is the initiating person?

I never played multiplayer, so I can't comment on that part.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Unlucky7 posted:

Is there a way to remove the community content section on the game pages?

Yup, go to Settings -> Library, there's an option to disable it.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

StrixNebulosa posted:

DA2 initial impressions: woah, this was designed around a controller. I commented on this and my BFF was all "ah, as all bad games are" and lol I don't know that they're wrong.
DA2 is actually the best one in the trilogy simply because it knows what it wants to be and runs with it: a schlocky fantasy action-RPG (like Mass Effect).

DA1 was a clunky (and EXTREMELY boring) rip-off of Infinity Engine games, and DA3 was a lovely MMO on an empty server.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

I dunno. On one hand ET and Superman 64, but on the other hand Dawn of War 3 and the XIII remake?

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Quill posted:

It's not the worst thing ever. For a Dragon Age sequel it's mighty close, though. Some people like it and I can see why. Most end up shaking their heads, wondering where all that supposed creative talent and energy disappeared.

It was the worst thing ever, then DA:I happened.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Stickman posted:

I dunno. On one hand ET and Superman 64, but on the other hand Dawn of War 3 and the XIII remake?

daikatana lol

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

StrixNebulosa posted:

:sever:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Final initial impressions of DA2, as I run off to dinner: combat feels good! Way better than DAO. I spin around and cast fireball and it's fluid n' fun. I also like the tighter focus on a family so far, and seeing friend/rival as a meter is really exciting for character writing.

That said it also feels slimmed down so far? Going from the janky width/depth of a Baldur's Gate clone to something more Mass Effect-y is jarring.

Anyways these can't be too in-depth because I only just met the templar and we're still outside of Lotharing, so more to come. Overall I'm fascinated and will keep playing when I can.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
DA2 had a couple of things that I really wish they hadn't thrown out with the rest of the bathwater when they made 3.

Team-mates knew how to dress themselves.

When you pressed a button, poo poo happened right now. It had a responsiveness that 3 completely lost.

Having a protagonist with a place in the world and a name people called you by was pretty rad (even though they dropped the ball by having dudes rant at you about how bad mages are while you yourself are a mage, dressed like a mage, with magic pouring off you)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Gort posted:

When you pressed a button, poo poo happened right now. It had a responsiveness that 3 completely lost.

the button=awesome connection

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Volte posted:

And also using the D&D 5e ruleset, which seems like kind of a big distinction from D:OS. The action economy of 5e (movement, action, bonus action, reaction) is completely different from D:OS (Fallout-style action points).

The biggest disappointment to me about using the D&D ruleset in a crpg is how casters are handled in regards to resting to regain spells. In an actual tabletop game the DM will restrict constant long rests to something sane, but so much of the time in any game it's too easy to abuse. I would have much more preferred D:OS3 with D&D trappings than what we are actually getting.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
How’s the writing in BG3 anyway? I couldn’t stand the tonal jumps and childish bullshit in the DOS games. Is it good or is it Larian?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Antigravitas posted:

Dishonored 2 has some inspired architecture. And I don't mean the Clockwork Mansion interior. That one has gotten a lot of praise for the bonkers level of effort that went into it and how amazing it feels to slip into its mechanisms. But what I mean is the incredible care that went into every building in the game. Like The Grand Palace. It's an incredible piece of architecture that tells you a lot of about the person who commissioned it and how they relate to the land that they govern. It's a fortress in a style that looks like some sort of mediterranean modernism. It is not just geographically sequestered from the city, its architecture is starkly different. It looks like the seat of power of a rich rear end in a top hat and autocrat, and it is.

e:

Look at this thing:

Yeah Dishonored level design throughout is fantastic, much beyond the clockwork level. There is a lot environmental storytelling plus grwat freedom and flow.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Cinara posted:

The biggest disappointment to me about using the D&D ruleset in a crpg is how casters are handled in regards to resting to regain spells. In an actual tabletop game the DM will restrict constant long rests to something sane, but so much of the time in any game it's too easy to abuse. I would have much more preferred D:OS3 with D&D trappings than what we are actually getting.
It's not that hard to just not long rest constantly. It is a roleplaying game after all. Some of the onus of roleplaying is on you.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Cinara posted:

The new Pathfinder game has a cool way of handling this - resting builds up Corruption and with enough corruption stacks you take some hefty attribute penalties (which can be literally deadly combined with how many enemies debuff your attributes), and the only way to remove corruption is to rest in one of the few safe areas.

So you're limited in how much you can rest during a given excursion from your base of operations, but it's never a permanent game-long hinderance. It also opens up some tense gameplay moments when you decide to push forward despite your corruption level. In one of the chapter finales I had three of my party members die to corruption and I had to push on and take down the final boss with just the surviving three and it felt like a real triumph.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Stux posted:

daikatana lol

Ironically the best version of Daikatana is built around a controller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhQouZ2OXOo

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Weird way of spelling 10/10
All my favorite games are 8/10 though.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Shameful goons somehow overlooking that games designed for a touchscreen are so universally bad that there's literally never been a good one.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

K8.0 posted:

Shameful goons somehow overlooking that games designed for a touchscreen are so universally bad that there's literally never been a good one.

the shamefullest goon forgetting the PlayStation Vita

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Nokia N-Gage

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Hwurmp posted:

the shamefullest goon forgetting the PlayStation Vita

The lesser version of the illustrious Nokia N-Gage.

EDIT: Beaten like a stray dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Perestroika posted:

Atari was squatting on the licensee for basically the entire lifetime of 4e, sadly.