Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Marsupial Ape posted:

I thought the twist was good. Taskmaster had always been an uninteresting character. “I can copy anybody’s physical talents…guess I’ll do crimes and teach c-list henchmen how fight like cooler people”. What a lovely origin and motivation. At least MCU Taskmaster has a hosed up origin with some pathos. She got blown up by a future Avenger and her own father used what was left to make a mind controlled cyborg killing machine because she was too scarred to be a Widow. I bet her and Nebula would have a lot to talk about.

What a terrible opinion. What makes Taskmaster a good character isn't his powers, or the things that have been inflicted upon him, but how he interacts with other people. The MCU version offers none of that.

What makes him a good character is that even when he's doing morally dubious stuff, you can stand to be in the same room as the guy.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jul 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
counterpoint one time tasky was headed for a bad situation so he spent the time before hand cramming a bunch of kung fu and action movies

on fast-forward

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I know I’m very much a lapsed comic nerd, but I’d never heard of Taskmaster before this movie, and all the clips from comics and cartoons people show to assure me that Taskmaster is cool has kinda left me cold tbh. To each their own.

I was perfectly happy with the movie version and the pathos aspect works better in the context of this story. Plus, there’s a 7 year gap between now and the end of that movie, there’s no reason Taskmaster can’t return in a form that the comic nerds desired. Look how Zemo changed and lightened up between Civil War and FatWS, 7 years is a lot of time to do character growth, and now there’s an actual origin story for the character shown.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Taskmaster's superpower is that he's really good at doing homework

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
There were rumors that Taskmaster is part of the Thunderbolts so it's possible that's still on the table with whatever Val's doing.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Just not interested in a dour Tasky.

Just like the other poster said, the gender flipping isn't the issue, it's doing the character dirty like X-Men Origins: Wolverine did to Deadpool.

I guess at least X-Men let Deadpool crack a couple lovely jokes before throwing the entire character into the trash.

Organic Lube User fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jul 11, 2021

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Being even remotely close to the same :qq: "The Mandarin" :qq: pissbabies is enough to make me break out in hives, so I hope they never retcon Taskmaster.

Marsupial Ape posted:

I thought the twist was good. Taskmaster had always been an uninteresting character. “I can copy anybody’s physical talents…guess I’ll do crimes and teach c-list henchmen how fight like cooler people”. What a lovely origin and motivation. At least MCU Taskmaster has a hosed up origin with some pathos. She got blown up by a future Avenger and her own father used what was left to make a mind controlled cyborg killing machine because she was too scarred to be a Widow. I bet her and Nebula would have a lot to talk about.
This is such a terrible take. Taskmaster is cool because he Catch-22's himself through the Marvel Universe, knowing that as long as he remains an occasional jobber he can live a pretty sweet life under the radar. That translates to a very "common sense/regular guy" attitude when dealing with insane bullshit. It's both refreshing and amusing. Only works as a supporting character though, and definitely doesn't dovetail with narrative arcs-- and you can tell they were loving proud of their "twist" in this one to make everything "click."

We still never did find out about the hospital fire and honestly that sounds like way bigger potatoes than I deliberately killed a kid :qq:.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I don't think they need to retcon it but I think it would be cool if movie Taskmaster was revealed to have, in the time span since, just sorta turned into comics Taskmaster

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Elaine has put a ton of 90s cartoons on a flash drive and dumped them into Taskmaster

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Organic Lube User posted:

Just not interested in a dour Tasky.

Just like the other poster said, the gender flipping isn't the issue, it's doing the character dirty like X-Men Origins: Wolverine did to Deadpool.

Yeah this what I was going to post. I think the idea of a "cyborg assassin" is so boring, like this character could just be in gi Joe or whatever, it's so generic, given the rest of the universe they're in. Got flashbacks to idris alba from hobbes and shaw

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Dexo posted:

Elaine has put a ton of 90s cartoons on a flash drive and dumped them into Taskmaster

Everybody fighting Taskmaster is now very confused as they only seem to know only three moves and repeat them constantly.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Taskmaster watching wrestling and suplexing people would be fun.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Taskmaster was a microscopic part of the movie and only existed as a fighty-hurdle for, what, 2-3 scenes? So I guess I understand why fans of Taskmaster were disappointed

The revelation here is that there were fans of Taskmaster in the first place :stare:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Collapsing Farts posted:

Taskmaster was a microscopic part of the movie and only existed as a fighty-hurdle for, what, 2-3 scenes? So I guess I understand why fans of Taskmaster were disappointed

The revelation here is that there were fans of Taskmaster in the first place :stare:

They are a fun character

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Think of the shitshow that is going to happen when Shang-Chi comes out and Fin Fang Foom doesn't have comics accurate tiny purple shorts, lack of penis that infuriates him because he wants to breed, and is unstoppable unless you trick him into smoking some spiced herb to put him in stasis for a 1,000 years.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 11, 2021

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Not for nothing, but there is a Black Widow thread, right? Fair amount of spoilers in this MCU TV thread.

I’m already spoiled on the whole thing, but for anyone who isn’t, maybe move it to the other thread?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

lack of penis that infuriates him because he wants to bread

That's the yeast of his problems.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Infinitum posted:

That's the yeast of his problems.

Android autocorrect is a prude.

Some space lizards want to gently caress and don't have a penis in their tiny purple shorts - get over it!

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Think of the shitshow that is going to happen when Shang-Chi comes out and Fin Fang Foom doesn't have comics accurate tiny purple shorts, lack of penis that infuriates him because he wants to breed, and is unstoppable unless you trick him into smoking some spiced herb to put him in stasis for a 1,000 years.

That's probably not even Fin Fang Foom.

It's Mephisto!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

To guide this back to MCU TV chat, Marvel unveiled some new merch that gives a few new details on some of the What if... episodes: namely King Killmonger, Iron ManHydra Stomper Steve Rogers, and a corrupted Doc Strange.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Technowolf posted:

To guide this back to MCU TV chat, Marvel unveiled some new merch that gives a few new details on some of the What if... episodes: namely King Killmonger, Iron ManHydra Stomper Steve Rogers, and a corrupted Doc Strange.

I wish I had money to buy that Dr. Strange. :negative:

(Yes, I collect useless plastic when I can because I can! lol)

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Are those not minor spoilers?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Technowolf posted:

It's also been reported that RDJ, Evans, Cumberbatch and Larson are not doing their voices in What If..?.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Taskmaster is a less popular Deadpool. Most Deadpool fans I've known have liked taskmaster, because he is also a funny comedy dude who makes the laughs happen.

He is definitely not a serious movie character and making him into one is probably weaker than just... letting him join Deadpool in a comedy movie.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yo, if you don't know how the spoilertag functions works, then take your movie spoilers to CineD.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Coming back to Loki, it’s not even necessarily going to have a “big bad”. It could just be a “big neutral” with someone or some many administering the timeline as the TVA said it was, but with a whole “greater good” deal where some eggs get broken along the way. The eggs often being Loki.

It’s potentially wide open for the season finale to go a whole bunch of ways, and isn’t it nice to know on a Sunday night, with one episode left to go, that for all our speculation and theorycrafting, and for all the accusations that the MCU is predictable and formulaic, we just don’t *know* what is going to happen on Wednesday? 13 years and 24 movies in, I think that’s kinda neat.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Oh yeah, it could be anything!! even if I'm clinging to my "it was another Loki all along!" theory, the thing is we haven't been able to really predict anything because the material is predictable but because we got lucky by throwing a lot of ideas to the wall.

I just hope the finale is some weird insane thing that doesn't disappoint.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

I’m guessing the big bad is going to be Old Man Loki. His comic equivalent’s whole arc was manipulating young Loki to make sure he exist, and his notable trait in the show is “really good at faking his own death”.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Desperado Bones posted:

I just hope the finale is some weird insane thing that doesn't disappoint.

It’s Silvie

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I was annoyed that Red Guardian never got to actually meet Captain America in Black Widow for how much he talked him up.

It would have been so hilarious for him to get a chance to meet him only for it to be John Walker instead.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Just in case anyone was holding on to hope, Mike Colter gave an interview yesterday where he said:

- That there was already work being done on Season 3 of Luke Cage when it was cancelled and that nobody on the staff or even Jeph Loeb at Marvel TV got word that it was being considered until a day before they announced it.

- Season 3 was going to be about Luke turning semi-evil and trying to enforce peace and end gang control of Harlem using the club as his base of operations.

- That Netflix decided that the viewership for all the Marvel shows had been shrinking and the shows were too expensive to produce for something Netflix didn't actually own.

- He's had "conversations" with Marvel, but there is no talk at Marvel for reviving any of the Netflix shows.

- The rights just recently reverted back to Marvel in February 2021 and they won't be on Disney+ any time soon.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 11, 2021

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

mind the walrus posted:

Being even remotely close to the same :qq: "The Mandarin" :qq: pissbabies is enough to make me break out in hives, so I hope they never retcon Taskmaster.

This is such a terrible take. Taskmaster is cool because he Catch-22's himself through the Marvel Universe, knowing that as long as he remains an occasional jobber he can live a pretty sweet life under the radar. That translates to a very "common sense/regular guy" attitude when dealing with insane bullshit. It's both refreshing and amusing. Only works as a supporting character though, and definitely doesn't dovetail with narrative arcs-- and you can tell they were loving proud of their "twist" in this one to make everything "click."

We still never did find out about the hospital fire and honestly that sounds like way bigger potatoes than I deliberately killed a kid :qq:.

This ain't it, bud.

The only counter argument I'm getting is that Taskmaster is a super cool dude because his flimsy character makes it easy for the male reader to insert themselves into the power fantasy. And the only reference to how 'cool' Taskmaster is are to a 4 part miniseries that was written over 15 years ago. Yikes.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
What?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like when Taskmaster fights someone that has an ability that he can't mimic. Like in All New Wolverine where Laura just stabs him trough the hand with her foot claw. They always forget about the foot claws

Like what would he do against like, Scarlet Witch or Longshot?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Walk away presumably. The money isn't worth risking his life over.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Actually having just rewatched Deadpool 2 last night the funniest matchup would be Taskmaster vs. Domino.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Marsupial Ape posted:

This ain't it, bud.

The only counter argument I'm getting is that Taskmaster is a super cool dude because his flimsy character makes it easy for the male reader to insert themselves into the power fantasy. And the only reference to how 'cool' Taskmaster is are to a 4 part miniseries that was written over 15 years ago. Yikes.
Well yeah cause you're weirdly desperate to scream "no u" about it. :shrug: Find someone who gives a gently caress bud.

Panfilo posted:

I was annoyed that Red Guardian never got to actually meet Captain America in Black Widow for how much he talked him up.

It would have been so hilarious for him to get a chance to meet him only for it to be John Walker instead.
Harbour would slot in very well into Disney-Plus stuff, I just wonder if their version of Guardian is too much of a dope to "work" in a Cap-oriented story. I'd love to see that he met Isiah or even Burnside.

Edmund Lava posted:

I’m guessing the big bad is going to be Old Man Loki. His comic equivalent’s whole arc was manipulating young Loki to make sure he exist, and his notable trait in the show is “really good at faking his own death”.
This would be extremely consistent with both the Disney-Plus and general MCU formula "What if hero's powers, but antagonist?" that they've been well-known for doing (Iron Monger, Vanko, Abomination, Yellowjacket, Killmonger, Kaecilius, John Walker, Agatha, etc.). I hope it's not just to break form, but I admit it's way more likely than Kang.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Technowolf posted:

It's not what if... if spiderman isn't constantly dying:argh:

This is bullshit

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Terror Sweat posted:

It's not what if... if spiderman isn't constantly dying:argh:

This is bullshit

Spiderman dies and Reed Richards goes mega-hitler evil. The two constants of What If?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

twistedmentat posted:

I like when Taskmaster fights someone that has an ability that he can't mimic. Like in All New Wolverine where Laura just stabs him trough the hand with her foot claw. They always forget about the foot claws

This look with the eyes and painted-on skull is so loving goofy it's the #1 reason I hate most of his comic appearances.