Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Xiaomi makes good poo poo and the security policy is dumb as gently caress

China cares less about what you personally are doing than the US government. Unless you are the US government I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I'd rather just get a RasPi in case I want to go more advanced than just playing shows and movies.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Just bought this wee guy

(Edited to add link - https://m.aliexpress.com/item/10050...40Q90.jpg_.webp)

Amphigory fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 11, 2021

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Rokus are so cheap because they datamine everything you do with the TV. This is part of the business model.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Get an used nvidia shield.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

super sweet best pal posted:

I'd rather just get a RasPi in case I want to go more advanced than just playing shows and movies.
I have one of those, but it's set up to run Retropie. Not sure if I can do other stuff on it, too/in parallel.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Has the extend buyer protection link gone missing for anyone else? I've got one order with 5 days left on the clock and I'd rather extend than dispute.

It used to be here when you looked at the order detail.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Hirayuki posted:

Is it safe/wise to purchase an Android TV stick off Ali? This Xiaomi Mi stick gets good reviews and the price is right for my purposes, but I know the U.S. is avoiding Xiaomi and Huawei as a matter of national security policy. The other thing that kind of made me :raise: is the promise in the description to begin recommending shows you might like based on what you've been watching. I'm too far gone with Google (and all the streaming services) to care if they do the same, but not everyone needs to know my business.

I have most of my streaming needs covered via my PS3, but since the console is so old, there are a few services that just aren't available (or their PS3 apps are broken and not worth fixing).

I have bought many xaoimi android tv boxes off Ali (although one might have been gear best)

They are great, however the mi stick is really underpowered, and the chipsets in their other boxes are starting to age a bit.

Last time I looked it was only $5 more to get a "Google Chromecast with Google tv" with the bundled Netflix credit*. And that box is really quite good.
The only reason I haven't replaced my mibox3 on the main tv is that nothing else has an IR receiver to work with my harmony remote when I lose the tiny little Bluetooth remote.

* After assuming the Netflix credit is basically like a cashback offer since you have a subscription already

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Facebook Aunt posted:

Has the extend buyer protection link gone missing for anyone else? I've got one order with 5 days left on the clock and I'd rather extend than dispute.

It used to be here when you looked at the order detail.

I think you just have to message the seller

Reharakhti
Oct 9, 2012

Secretly Sekhmet
Someone posted a link to Dark Souls rings a while ago, I got them this week and they're pretty cool!

Made a little base for them,they make very nice display items.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Unrelated, is there a good RasPi guide for absolute beginners kicking around the forums or elsewhere online? Thinking of replacing my media PC with one but I don't know where to start.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

There's a thread over in SH/SC but the OP hasn't been updated in nearly a decade https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3468084

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Hirayuki posted:

Is it safe/wise to purchase an Android TV stick off Ali? This Xiaomi Mi stick gets good reviews and the price is right for my purposes, but I know the U.S. is avoiding Xiaomi and Huawei as a matter of national security policy. The other thing that kind of made me :raise: is the promise in the description to begin recommending shows you might like based on what you've been watching. I'm too far gone with Google (and all the streaming services) to care if they do the same, but not everyone needs to know my business.

I have most of my streaming needs covered via my PS3, but since the console is so old, there are a few services that just aren't available (or their PS3 apps are broken and not worth fixing).

Warlmart sell the Xiaomi Mi Stick

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

There's a thread over in SH/SC but the OP hasn't been updated in nearly a decade https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3468084

Yeah I saw this one but figured it was pretty out of date by now. Maybe I should just get one of these Xiaomi sticks, haha.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

If you're dead set on being spied on, Amazon fire sticks are super cheap, they'll even give you one for free if you subscribe to certain channels for a month

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

I think the cool kids use a different SBC these days. I’d hit up a popular media center software’s forums / guide and see what hardware they recommend.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

flavor.flv posted:

If you're dead set on being spied on, Amazon fire sticks are super cheap, they'll even give you one for free if you subscribe to certain channels for a month

I need something that can run a browser at minimum, I have Chromecasts but would like something standalone that I can connect an external hard drive to and run VLC or something and can also browse on. I don't really need dedicated apps beyond that and don't have cable.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

will make your butthole into a vortex from which no light can escape!

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I was thinking lemon face, but that works.

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLppgEB

e: lol drat, this kid's got one hell of a grip on super mom

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mM6nvrN

Poopelyse fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 13, 2021

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Bruh Dude tapestry home decoration witchcraft tapestry Mandala wall decoration Hippie Bohemian decorative sheet sofa blanket

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham
I saw a pillow with a print of Nicolas Cage's face on Shreks head for like $3 and free shipping but now I can't find it t again.

I wanna send like ten to my mate

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

yoloer420 posted:

Normally it's about language support. Get the global version.

Yeah I figured for an extra £2 it was worth going for the more expensive version just in case

busalover posted:

What's that? Like "if you keep running another five miles at this speed, you will use x amount of calories"?

As another poster said it tells you how many calories you've burnt but they are super innacurate and more for fun.

Speaking of fun, look at this little handheld!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Just got my Powkiddy Flip (gbaSP looking device)

It is indeed a sweet deal for the price.
Not ergonomic enough that I'd want to have long sessions on it but just the thing for a long bus ride.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Looking for suggestions on “props” for the couple of d&d games I run for kids & differently-abled adults. Across both games the players loving love getting their hands on an actual thing (hell, so do the players in my regular game). So far Aliexpress has provided:

- a dragon themed tankard (the Dragon Flagon)
- a thumb ring with eyes all over it
- several bunches of keys
- several mini resin skulls - human, dragon, ram and rhinoceros
- shark teeth
- wax seals & parchment for letters

I need them to be cheap! As an example, the thumb ring was 83p so even with tax still under a pound. I’d be super grateful for any links to little trinkets like this that anyone thinks might work.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Not AliEx but you should check out printable paper craft stuff for props, many template are free and the cost of printing is negligible with non original manufacturer ink.

I posted here some stuff I made

E:here's an easy dice rolling tower

Also search Itch.io for some printable goodies for cheap/free.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jul 13, 2021

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

Reharakhti posted:

Someone posted a link to Dark Souls rings a while ago, I got them this week and they're pretty cool!

Made a little base for them,they make very nice display items.

Those look great on the bases you made, really nice idea.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
re: android tv, the chromecast with android tv, or the walmart one, or a sale roku ultra will be better than whatever else you get,

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Poopelyse posted:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLppgEB

e: lol drat, this kid's got one hell of a grip on super mom

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mM6nvrN

i will destroy the accursed womb which spat me forth onto this hateful world!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

BORN 2 poo poo
WORLD IS A FLUSH
Wipe Em All 1989
I am flush man
410,757,864,530 FORCED WIPES

Redonionking
Mar 13, 2001

I AM A BRILLIANT HAMOLOGIST
Grimey Drawer
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...23562%2522%257D
Giant inflatable sky cow

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Redonionking
Mar 13, 2001

I AM A BRILLIANT HAMOLOGIST
Grimey Drawer
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...23562%2522%257D
Dog Lingerie

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Redonionking posted:

Dog Lingerie

this happens every time someone reposts Raine Dog in the comics thread

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

freelop posted:

Speaking of fun, look at this little handheld!

Don't those sunglasses directly derive from an SA smiley? :frogon:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

My hand is hovering the absolute gently caress above that Buy Now button

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

flashy_mcflash posted:

My hand is hovering the absolute gently caress above that Buy Now button

They also have this delightful dargon pentant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Looks like a fun soldering project for a weekend... if you are willing to trust some dodgy Chinese CRT mini TV parts

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1782606924.html

That case looks so, so cheap, I can feel how brittle the plastic is through the screen