Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
That whole flight was anti-climatic.

$250k for a 45 second ride?

Is their any point to point travel potential for this thing? Go from London to Australia in like 3 hours? Or is it just a very expensive, fancy and dangerous roller coaster ride?

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

davecrazy posted:

That whole flight was anti-climatic.

$250k for a 45 second ride?

Hadfield said *20* seconds.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I think there's prob a huge market for this. There's a fuckton of rich middle aged guys whose dopamine receptors are fried out and who love ~space~. It's a very exclusive theme park ride targeted at everyone who's ever participated in a Series A

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Best Friends posted:

I think there's prob a huge market for this. There's a fuckton of rich middle aged guys whose dopamine receptors are fried out and who love ~space~

It won’t be long after that before they start carving up orphans and playing with strange cubes

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
It'll be fun when space kills its first millionaire because they think it's Wars/Trek instead of The Expanse.

Space wants/tries to kill everyone in it. I'm cool with feeding it billionaires.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
There's nothing rich people lust after more than the idea that something more than money is what separates them from everybody else.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

boop the snoot posted:

I don’t think it’s a healthy thing for our current crop of legislators to have Twitter at all.

Ftfy

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Honestly I'm still chuckling at calling it Virgin Anticlimactic from now on.

And the hubris of calling himself "Astronaut 001" while in the company of not only Chris Hadfield (good god I hope he got at least mid/high six figures for the poo poo they made him eat/say) but the Shuttle pilot that was flying his glorified cannon ball.

As much as I don't want to praise Elon Musk, SpaceX didn't sit on their loving thumbs and spin for over a decade before claiming a hollow achievement like this. If Branson had taken this flight six months after the first suborbital test it would've been praiseworthy. But today was just oversauced Spruce Goosing.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 11, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
It's so loving stupid. Sub-orbital for maybe 20 seconds, SpaceX it's years ahead of this.

Maybe instead of this wasteful poo poo they could pay their taxes

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

And after today's ALL SHALL LOVE ME fest, you just know Bezos is going to ham it up even more.

I'm honestly wondering if the bandwidth issues they had were AWS-related.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

What is supposed be impressive about this? Isn't ramjet tech a 60's/70's thing.

It's not like they made it commercially available either with a 400k price tag.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Defenestrategy posted:

It's rich people bullshit, nothing more. Whether or not it turns into rich people ultra concorde commercial flights (from loving New Mexico, no less) doesn't matter to us little people.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Defenestrategy posted:

It's not even a ramjet. The engines look like CO2 cartridges. I don't even think they're reusable. And they use nitrous oxide as an oxidizer so each flight is just putting more greenhouse gas into the upper atmosphere, exactly where it *shouldn't* be.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/Marco_Langbroek/status/1414158401853136900?s=19
https://twitter.com/Marco_Langbroek/status/1414173653026148353?s=19

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Dennis Tito has since become a just-barely-a-billionaire since his paid-for Soyuz flight, so Branson can't even claim *that* guillotine-worthy title.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The easy counter point is that ultra rich people setting private records with new aircraft in the 20s and 30s was critical to the early civilian aviation industry.

Branson is the first in space on a 100% private spacecraft which is something I guess.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I'd contend that the ultra-rich loving around with aviation in the 20s and 30s didn't advance civilian aviation as much as WW1 and WW2 did by creating way more qualified pilots.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'd contend that the ultra-rich loving around with aviation in the 20s and 30s didn't advance civilian aviation as much as WW1 and WW2 did by creating way more qualified pilots.

And engineers and technicians.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Branson is no Howard Hughes

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

hobbesmaster posted:

Branson is the first in space on a 100% private spacecraft which is something I guess.

SpaceX Dragon capsule.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
McCafee probably hoarded more piss than Branson.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

SpaceX Dragon capsule.

That was paid for and flown by NASA.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

hobbesmaster posted:

That was paid for and flown by NASA.

Ah. I figured at best it was a partnership thing.

But yeah, of course nasa paid for it. I assumed it was more in-house.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

'Murica.

Neil deGrasse Tyson talking poo poo about Branson and Bezos on Fareed Zakaria this morning.

In what manner?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I think one of my most favorite "Mad NdT" lectures was when he was in his office, grabbed a globe, and a small ruler and made the case that as a species, on a galactic scale, we hadn't even gotten close to leaving his office, and that going to the moon didn't even encompass leaving the surface of his desk.

I feel the same thing whenever I go into the Air & Space Museum in DC. So very little has changed or been added since I went in there all :swoon: as a snot-nosed five year old in 1986 for the first time. It's gone from being a palace of wonders to a mausoleum of failed :effort:.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I feel the same thing whenever I go into the Air & Space Museum in DC. So very little has changed or been added since I went in there all :swoon: as a snot-nosed five year old in 1986 for the first time. It's gone from being a palace of wonders to a mausoleum of failed :effort:.

I mean part of that is because up until 2019, the museum hadn't actually undergone any renovations to its major galleries since it opened in 1976. That is changing though—they started undergoing a massive 7 year renovation project two years ago, with plans to update every major gallery in the museum and bring it up to modern standards.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
While I'm fairly convinced that Branson's "achievements" here are hollow and meaningless, I think the idea of "we did that poo poo in the 60s, who cares" from some of the tweets responding to that article isn't a great attitude. We lost ground and we will need to retread it before advancing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

piL posted:

While I'm fairly convinced that Branson's "achievements" here are hollow and meaningless, I think the idea of "we did that poo poo in the 60s, who cares" from some of the tweets responding to that article isn't a great attitude. We lost ground and we will need to retread it before advancing.

None of these flights do that though? Nothing that both craft did is new or novel, they are largely rehashes of the same tech we already have. SpaceX and even Electron are leaps and bounds ahead in doing actual groundbreaking work.

Hell, even Sierra Nevada Corp's mini-shuttle Dream Chaser is doing more than Virgin Galactic is

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

None of these flights do that though? Nothing that both craft did is new or novel, they are largely rehashes of the same tech we already have. SpaceX and even Electron are leaps and bounds ahead in doing actual groundbreaking work.

I mean if you’re saying virgin galactic is just an X-15 carrying passengers dragon is just a larger Apollo command module. It’s all a bit dumb. Prior to today there was no air launched single stage to space passenger spacecraft, now there is. That’s something.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

CommieGIR posted:

Hell, even Sierra Nevada Corp's mini-shuttle Dream Chaser is doing more than Virgin Galactic is

My point is that it doesn't have to be new tech to be of value. Old tech organized to a function or done cheaper could be a worthwhile.

That does not conflict with this being without value, just that some of the arguments on why it its valueless aren't good arguments. I draw attention to it because I don't want novel to be the standard.

Edit: I edited out my agreement, I'll let people who know more than me discuss the individual merits, I'm just being a pedant with a purpose.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

I mean if you’re saying virgin galactic is just an X-15 carrying passengers dragon is just a larger Apollo command module. It’s all a bit dumb. Prior to today there was no air launched single stage to space passenger spacecraft, now there is. That’s something.

Single stage to space is overselling a ballistic non-orbital flight.

I get your point, but I don't think these really qualify.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

We shouldn't be excited about a billionaire's pet novelty project.

We should fund NASA better and get real exploring done

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The universe doesn’t deserve the burden of humans. Let’s just stay on this rock and not export our lovely behavior elsewhere. It’s bad enough here.

You think if we ever manage to find extra terrestrial life we wouldn’t just murder it all?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

boop the snoot posted:

The universe doesn’t deserve the burden of humans. Let’s just stay on this rock and not export our lovely behavior elsewhere. It’s bad enough here.

You think if we ever manage to find extra terrestrial life we wouldn’t just murder it all?

That's assuming that alien life is peaceful rather than being basically us but with different physique.

Flikken posted:

We should fund NASA better and get real exploring done

Yup. We should be giving NASA to stuff to do it, let them decide on how best handle space.

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

CommieGIR posted:

That's assuming that alien life is peaceful rather than being basically us but with different physique.

Yup. We should be giving NASA to stuff to do it, let them decide on how best handle space.

CommieGIR posted:

NASA has done amazing things, especially via Mars rovers and deep space probes, but Space X pioneered reusable rockets and Virgin Galactic might pioneer sub orbital passenger vehicles. NASA is a government entity, they don’t have the risk tolerance or incentive to quickly innovate.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Flikken posted:

Correct. This is nothing more than people with way too much money swinging their dicks at each other.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Italy just beat England at football Euro champioships.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
it's (not) coming home

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

fknlo posted:

Correct. This is nothing more than people with way too much money swinging their dicks at each other.

Exactly we should be doing this on a national scale with NASA.

Let's swing some aerospace dicks at Russia and China

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Ataxerxes posted:

Italy just beat England at football Euro champioships.

https://twitter.com/GideonResnick/status/1414342627957252096