Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mochiballs
Aug 27, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

Massive same for the spoilered bit.

For the non-spoilered bit I know there's a lot of spots where that happens but the worst for me was in the first act when they show Natasha falling from the top of a building and actually hitting/ragdolling around off fire escapes/part of building and stuff, hell it even looked like she hit her head at one point, and she's still up and on her feet and relatively fine like one second after hitting the ground. Like why even show it happening that way?

Yeah! I was watching with my family (we actually bought it off Disney+) and the whole time my brother kept saying...."she's just going to get up from that?' . I thought there was going to be some sort of reveal for why she could do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I felt the same way. Normally I’m ok with a protagonist taking a beat and hitting something on the way down and such (it comes with the genre). But she just hits like 3-4 things on the way down in an almost cartoonish fashion then just casually gets up (not even a “shoulder relocation” bit to give some self awareness).

Edit: The thing that’s a little awkward I found about this movie is it’s clear it was supposed to release after Endgame’s conclusion. You know when everything ended and the universe was basically being built back up (not literally but thematically). That was the intent as it was supposed to release in May 2020 then COVID happened. Since then we’ve had three D+ shows which not only started everything back up but has had MAJOR set-ups so Black Widow’s self-contained story is a little awkward. Not to mention it was also supposed to be the emotional epilogue to her death from Endgame. That feels like a long time ago.

I watched it in that context and it’s a fine film, mid-tier MCU but it’s really sticking out oddly given what’s going on in current MCU.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 10, 2021

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Necrothatcher posted:

The opening of montage of Ray Winstone meeting presidents set to a moody indie girl Nirvana cover is cracking me up.

It was reminding me over the cringest Nirvana cover ever, and possibly the cringiest scene in cinematic history https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNInHlSCW4E

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's bad that I was expecting this to be a edit with Shooting Stars playing right after the explosion.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Grendels Dad posted:

Not sure what's so funny about this? I guess it's that she floats away from the explosion, but a) every action hero in the history of action movies does that, and b) there's clearly some wind or draft, I first thought she is standing on a flying plane so she is more giving up her footing and is taken by the wind.

It's no WW84.

It looks like poo poo.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

It looks like poo poo.

You can see her ropes in the scene. The special effects and post editing to make everything look right, and get all of the little details fleshed out that Marvel movies tend to do, didn't happen at all in this film. The post editing / clean up is some of the worst we've had in a Marvel film to date.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah Black Widow was entirely fine. There's no reason at all that it couldn't have been made five years ago and it would've been much more impactful if it had. I probably would have enjoyed it more in an actual cinema to be fair.

I wouldn't mind Marx Knuckles and Not Natasha getting their own D+ spinoff though.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

I said come in! posted:

You can see her ropes in the scene. The special effects and post editing to make everything look right, and get all of the little details fleshed out that Marvel movies tend to do, didn't happen at all in this film. The post editing / clean up is some of the worst we've had in a Marvel film to date.

I have looked at the clip for a bit, I don't see any ropes, sorry. The arch of her, uh, fall looks unnatural and that's about the only lovely-looking thing I'd say is in that clip if you don't look at it for ten minutes straight in a Twitter-quote on your phone. Quoting some random Twitter guy going LMAO about it seems pretty needy.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It absolutely is because everyone on twitter is a deranged rear end in a top hat.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I kinda assumed that any movies getting postponed a year would be getting a tonne of effects passes if only to give the CGI studio some work.

But I guess Disney just figured 'eh good enough'.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

That clip looks like rear end cheeks, what the hell lol

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Blue Raider posted:

That clip looks like rear end cheeks, what the hell lol

It's even worse in HD/4K lol.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was fine because I thought the worst happened to her and I liked her so I didn’t give a crap about the effects

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Necrothatcher posted:

I kinda assumed that any movies getting postponed a year would be getting a tonne of effects passes if only to give the CGI studio some work.

But I guess Disney just figured 'eh good enough'.

Are there movies where this happens?

Like, the studio saying "No wait, we will get this into theaters a year later!" and every crew member going "Yay, let's polish those scenes!"

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They ain’t gonna put money into extra polish unless it’s like an Avengers movie. Visual FX studios are like game studios they get put into crunch and grind their employees to dust.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Grendels Dad posted:

Like, the studio saying "No wait, we will get this into theaters a year later!" and every crew member going "Yay, let's polish those scenes!"

Apparently that's what Patty Jenkins said they were gonna do with WW84, lmao.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It looks better than WW but that also isn't very hard

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

That one scene is an example of the worst of it but the whole movie has these problems.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Grendels Dad posted:

IIRC this happened with Fury Road where they saw what had been done so far and were like holy poo poo have more time and money

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

teagone posted:

Apparently that's what Patty Jenkins said they were gonna do with WW84, lmao.
I’m trying to find the interview but Jenkins said at fist she was really frustrated with the release delays but then she realized that it gave them a lot of extra time to fine tune the editing and polish the effects.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The only thing Covid delays have done is give directors more time to change random poo poo as they get bored with the movie. That has given some movies extensions, but they're "oh good, we have time to start these shots over from scratch" extensions rather than "I like this, let's just make it perfect" extensions.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Robot Style posted:

The only thing Covid delays have done is give directors more time to change random poo poo as they get bored with the movie. That has given some movies extensions, but they're "oh good, we have time to start these shots over from scratch" extensions rather than "I like this, let's just make it perfect" extensions.

"There were too many of us, we had access to too much money, too much equipment, and little by little we went insane."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Robot Style posted:

Basically you don't have to wait decades for the Special Editions anymore. I'm pretty sure this is also how movies get murdered on the cutting room floor too.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I said come in! posted:

It was reminding me over the cringest Nirvana cover ever, and possibly the cringiest scene in cinematic history https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNInHlSCW4E

Oh man, this scene. I hate this scene so much that I've looped around to loving it. Every time it's posted, I have to watch it at least 3 times. It's...art.

I've never seen the movie, and I'm not sure I will. I can't imagine it lives up to this clip.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jul 11, 2021

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Grendels Dad posted:

iirc Alita: Battle Angel was pushed back from a summer release to its final February release because there was a LOT of people going "what's up with her bug eyes? they're creepy looking and I don't like it" when the first trailer dropped. Given the timing, that did effectively give them an entire year to polish up the effects.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Aces High posted:

iirc Alita: Battle Angel was pushed back from a summer release to its final February release because there was a LOT of people going "what's up with her bug eyes? they're creepy looking and I don't like it" when the first trailer dropped. Given the timing, that did effectively give them an entire year to polish up the effects.

James Cameron stepped in and told them to make the eyes bigger.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I'm sure you're just having a laugh but looking at the first trailer and the final trailer side by side I don't think the eye size changed, they just got softened and made less intense, less piercing. I dunno, I think it worked because I remember seeing the first trailer and not being interested at all but when I saw the final trailer I was drawn in and actually wanted to see the film, same thing happened with Sonic the Hedgehog

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I feel like I got lucky and went into Alita blind. I didn't see the trailers, just a friend who is obsessed with the manga, told me how excited they were to see the movie.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So assuming the ending of Black Widow along with the ending of F&WS is setting up Dark Avengers, who would the other ones be? For Iron Man I guess they could bring back Jeff Bridges as Iron Monger, and Abomination was in the Shang-chi trailer so he could be Hulk, but there's not really anyone for Thor or Hawkeye(unless they're introduced in Thor 4 and the Hawkeye TV show).

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

RatHat posted:

So assuming the ending of Black Widow along with the ending of F&WS is setting up Dark Avengers, who would the other ones be? For Iron Man I guess they could bring back Jeff Bridges as Iron Monger, and Abomination was in the Shang-chi trailer so he could be Hulk, but there's not really anyone for Thor or Hawkeye(unless they're introduced in Thor 4 and the Hawkeye TV show).

They're probably going to make some introductions and pull from the multiverse.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

RatHat posted:

WandaVision also set up the possibility of a morally ambiguous Vision working for the government. It kind of feels like a theme.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I didn't watch Alita because of how lovely the cgeye looked

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

RatHat posted:

I assume Jane & Kate Bishop will be Thor & Hawkeye. Definitely seems like they’re setting up an alternate Avengers to contrast with the New Avengers or whatever the gently caress.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

RBA Starblade posted:

I didn't watch Alita because of how lovely the cgeye looked

This is the most upsetting post you have ever made.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think that an exact role for role Dark Avengers is probably too literal and unnecessary. Like it would seem weird for Jane Foster to be on the bad team unless her character dramatically changes. IF they're doing it I think you set up these ambiguous characters like Walker, Yelena, and White Vision and then add an Osborn or Osborne substitute main villain to drive it and then debut a big gun like Moonstone and you have your Dark Avengers. I don't think you actually need an "evil Hulk" and "evil Thor". You just need a shady team to set up a clash with Sam's New Avengers and hide a bigger agenda/villain when those morally ambiguous characters turn good.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

josh04 posted:

This is the most upsetting post you have ever made.

Just couldn't get eyeround it

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

RBA Starblade posted:

Just couldn't get eyeround it

Queueing permaban

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Roth posted:

Qu-eye-ing permaban

edit - I get it. There's some stylistic choices that are so off putting that I can't enjoy anything because I'm so distracted by how much I hate the style. A Scanner Darkly comes to mind. Can't watch it for the life of me.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

STAC Goat posted:

I think that an exact role for role Dark Avengers is probably too literal and unnecessary. Like it would seem weird for Jane Foster to be on the bad team unless her character dramatically changes. IF they're doing it I think you set up these ambiguous characters like Walker, Yelena, and White Vision and then add an Osborn or Osborne substitute main villain to drive it and then debut a big gun like Moonstone and you have your Dark Avengers. I don't think you actually need an "evil Hulk" and "evil Thor". You just need a shady team to set up a clash with Sam's New Avengers and hide a bigger agenda/villain when those morally ambiguous characters turn good.

was it wishful thinking on my part or were there rumors of Sam Rockwell in talks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Gatts posted:

They're probably going to make some introductions and pull from the multiverse.

Also, Loki isn't over yet.