Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
PHUO: Sometimes I don't think it is possible to be objective about most things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

What "corrupt" is depends on place and time period. The problem is that we can recognise it as part of other peoples systems but not our own.

It's like "natural law". "Oh everyone knows what good and evil are" and when you ask them to prove it there appear to be a huge number of caveats to that.

Josef bugman has a new favorite as of 23:39 on Jul 11, 2021

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ThisiswhatSteveDitkoactuallybelieved.jpg

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

mind the walrus posted:

I'd say "Hating on the astrology still seems like small potatoes and at worst symptomatic of a general problem in functioning."

Well here's some more unpopular opinions for this thread.

Healing crystals, herbal medicine, homeopathy, and all other alternative medicines are bullshit and the people pushing them are bad and it's OK to dislike the people pushing these things.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Atticus_1354 posted:

Healing crystals, herbal medicine, homeopathy, and all other alternative medicines are bullshit and the people pushing them are bad and it's OK to dislike the people pushing these things.

Absolutely. I know numerous people who have permanent damage to their bodies because their parents figured that some essential oils and a trip to the chiropractor was better than medicine.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Chiropracticy should be straight up banned, the veneer of legitimacy we've allowed them is straight up disgusting.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
okay but we are very much living in an era of socially created truths where widely held beliefs are just as much likely to be bullshit concocted as some sort of stupid but compelling ape story that appeals to our dumb brains as it is to be actually true. astrology and many other things are not unique in this on any level

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Josef bugman posted:

PHUO: Sometimes I don't think it is possible to be objective about most things.

:yeah:

i'd go as far as to say that it's literally impossible to be objective about anything. that's not something our brains are capable of

if one claims their opinion on some topic is objective, they're lying to themselves at best and are a narcissist at worst

Atticus_1354 posted:

:yeah:

pushing stuff that obviously doesn't work as medicinal solutions is bad, and i don't think that's an unpopular opinion lol

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

I dunno how unpopular this'll be, but personal spiritualism is fantastic, and far too many people neglect it. I'll have to copy+paste what I said in the psychedelics thread (lol I know), but a lot of people are ignoring an important part of their mental health.

That being said, any organized religion is inherently traumatizing, and often abusive. The second two people with similar beliefs start writing out "rules", people will suffer.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Math is objective.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Math is objective.

Math is a social construct, and therefore subjective.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No it very much is not. You're mistaking the way we interpret math into language for the actual lawd that govern mathematics.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Anyways getting hung up on pure objectivity us a huge mental trap that a lot of people seem to fall into. Your beliefs are mutable laws to govern your own actions. Trying to enforce objectivity or reject the concept entirely gets you no where.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

nurmie posted:

i'd go as far as to say that it's literally impossible to be objective about anything. that's not something our brains are capable of

Hmm sounds like an absolute statement.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Anyways getting hung up on pure objectivity us a huge mental trap that a lot of people seem to fall into. Your beliefs are mutable laws to govern your own actions. Trying to enforce objectivity or reject the concept entirely gets you no where.

Saying "oh things are weird and fluid" also leads no where.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

Saying "oh things are weird and fluid" also leads no where.

Sometimes it leads to the bedroom.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

theres probably no intelligent alien life, at least not anywhere near us and when it does it doesnt exist long enough

red and white dwarf stars all uninhabitable due to flares and tidal locking, red giants are uninhabitable because of their short lifespans and most bigger stars probably are as well, which already rules out most stars, the other stars have a giant planet near the star itself which would probably rule out terrestrial planets in suitable orbits. stars too close to the galactic center are also unlikely, so are the ones that are too far away because they will either form planets that are too rich in metals or too poor. habitable planets need to have some way to release energy from the core and mantle without resurfacing (like venus) meaning plate tectonics, but this also seems to be unlikely. theres a bunch of other reasons as well. even the "rare earth" argument is usually presented too optimistically and with a lot of well-maybe's. microbes probably can exist in a few places but complex and intelligent life requires too much time to develop in very specific, really stable conditions that probably exist almost nowhere. it wouldnt surprise me if earth was the only planet like it in the entire galaxy considering all of the factors, especially the fact that something like 99% of stars can be ruled out right out the gate

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The way that some people flick through their cards when they play trading card games is super irritating. Just look at your cards!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Life is extremely unlikely. Yet it exists.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Shibawanko posted:

theres probably no intelligent alien life, at least not anywhere near us and when it does it doesnt exist long enough

red and white dwarf stars all uninhabitable due to flares and tidal locking, red giants are uninhabitable because of their short lifespans and most bigger stars probably are as well, which already rules out most stars, the other stars have a giant planet near the star itself which would probably rule out terrestrial planets in suitable orbits. stars too close to the galactic center are also unlikely, so are the ones that are too far away because they will either form planets that are too rich in metals or too poor. habitable planets need to have some way to release energy from the core and mantle without resurfacing (like venus) meaning plate tectonics, but this also seems to be unlikely. theres a bunch of other reasons as well. even the "rare earth" argument is usually presented too optimistically and with a lot of well-maybe's. microbes probably can exist in a few places but complex and intelligent life requires too much time to develop in very specific, really stable conditions that probably exist almost nowhere. it wouldnt surprise me if earth was the only planet like it in the entire galaxy considering all of the factors, especially the fact that something like 99% of stars can be ruled out right out the gate

The existence of aliens is a good topic to think about in the shower because literally no human being will ever know the answer.

I'm on the side of billions of intelligent civilizations rising and falling throughout the existence of the universe. I mean if Earth is the only planet like it in the galaxy at this moment, there are a hundred billion other galaxies, assuming there is nothing outside the observable universe.

But I do think whether intelligent life exists anywhere else is a thought exercise only. I bet of the billions of civilizations I guess have existed nearly none of them ever caught a glimpse of one another because the distances and timeframes involved are too huge to overcome.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

There is no Great Filter.

Space is vast, so even if alien life exists, knows we're here and wants to contact us, it's so far away as to be impractical. But we're an insignificant backwater of a solar system, so it's doubtful that anyone knows or cares that we're here. That seems to make a lot more sense to me than some mystical "filter" that wipes out life after a certain point.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

There is no great filter

If warp drives and warp speed exists, then any aliens in our vicinity (if they are there and not elsewhere on the orion belt) have encryption tech so advanced that they can only be detected by civilizations advanced enough to decipher/wield dark matter (or something else), which would make them appear able for communication to said aliens.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Also the first aliens we'll ever encounter are probes like all the ones we've sent out.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

"advanced" is a dumb concept. there is no teleology to any of our developments. there is no such thing as an "advanced alien race" or whatever because there is no way of telling what is actually possible and what course development will take and any predictions about it are always really just wishes or ideological pronouncements

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
At least we've been able to see and measure life even if it is just on this one planet. No matter or serious amount of energy has been observed exceeding the speed of light, it seems pretty likely that's gonna be a hard rule.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

some mystical "filter" that wipes out life after a certain point.

I don't think you understand the idea of the filter if you think its mystical. It's just a shorthand way of explaining a potential, as yet undefined, problem in a thought experiment.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Shibawanko posted:

"advanced" is a dumb concept. there is no teleology to any of our developments. there is no such thing as an "advanced alien race" or whatever because there is no way of telling what is actually possible and what course development will take and any predictions about it are always really just wishes or ideological pronouncements

In the specific context "advanced" pretty obviously means "aliens who somehow have FTL communication or travel"

Who don't exist. Given the scale of the universe it's pretty likely that there were, are, or will be weird squid people posting on Squid Awful but the part where we actually meet them and form the Galactic Federation of Posters is prolly nonsense

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Alien civilisations are everywhere but we don't see each other because they were at their height while we were in the middle ages or they're still burning witches and can't hear our radio signals.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Captain Monkey posted:

I don't think you understand the idea of the filter if you think its mystical. It's just a shorthand way of explaining a potential, as yet undefined, problem in a thought experiment.

Fair enough.

Even though it's an interesting thought experiment, I don't think it's a particularly useful one. The fact that our very limited searching for alien life hasn't turned anything up doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sweevo posted:

Alien civilisations are everywhere but we don't see each other because they were at their height while we were in the middle ages or they're still burning witches and can't hear our radio signals.

The odds of us being even that close in development are infinitesimal. They could easily have entered the atomic age a hundred million years ago.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I like to think alien civilizations are out there because it’s just a nice idea

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Fair enough.

Even though it's an interesting thought experiment, I don't think it's a particularly useful one. The fact that our very limited searching for alien life hasn't turned anything up doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

It's people trying to develop models to explain why we cant see any aliens, and you're right that none of these theories are ever going to have a huge amount of evidence to support them

SETI, as it exists right now, is pretty lol because the lion share of radio signals were emitting or receiving would never hold up past the boundaries of our solar system, much less make it to another star. The whole thing is pretty feeble and sad

Jokerpilled Drudge has a new favorite as of 16:48 on Jul 13, 2021

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

While our understanding of the universe and physics may be still pretty basic, all signs point to "can't go faster than light". Which means there could be millions of alien races in our galaxy alone shooting out radio transmissions and launching probes everywhere, and it could be hundreds of thousands of years until any of them bump into each other.

Any claim that aliens can't or don't exist because [thing] is foolish at best.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Fair enough.

it's just a way of examining a problem and thinking about it. It's also a useful thing to point out that species, civilizations, and planets are fragile things that need to be maintained if we want them to survive for a while.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

While our understanding of the universe and physics may be still pretty basic, all signs point to "can't go faster than light". Which means there could be millions of alien races in our galaxy alone shooting out radio transmissions and launching probes everywhere, and it could be hundreds of thousands of years until any of them bump into each other.

Any claim that aliens can't or don't exist because [thing] is foolish at best.

Yeah, and I personally love the weird theorycrafting and discussion. I don't think there's aliens zipping around through the solar system but I love the 'what if?' conversations, whether that's talking about aliens here or aliens far away. It's a neat topic!

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

"the Milky Way" is the stupidest loving name we could possibly have given our galaxy, and I really hope we get conquered by space aliens who dominate our culture and rename everything.

Also there needs to be a movement to get people to pronounce Uranus properly. Not "your anus" or "urine us". It's "Oran Us".

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Captain Monkey posted:

it's just a way of examining a problem and thinking about it. It's also a useful thing to point out that species, civilizations, and planets are fragile things that need to be maintained if we want them to survive for a while.

Yeah, and I personally love the weird theorycrafting and discussion. I don't think there's aliens zipping around through the solar system but I love the 'what if?' conversations, whether that's talking about aliens here or aliens far away. It's a neat topic!

True, and I enjoy talking about the possibility of extraterrestrial life.

I personally think that there's probably some sort of other life here in the Solar System that we haven't yet discovered; likely some sort of microbial and/or marine life (e.g: under the surface of Europa).

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

True, and I enjoy talking about the possibility of extraterrestrial life.

I personally think that there's probably some sort of other life here in the Solar System that we haven't yet discovered; likely some sort of microbial and/or marine life (e.g: under the surface of Europa).

I really hope we find something like that, it would be such an amazing discovery.

Fashionable Jorts has a new favorite as of 17:06 on Jul 13, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fashionable Jorts posted:

"the Milky Way" is the stupidest loving name we could possibly have given our galaxy, and I really hope we get conquered by space aliens who dominate our culture and rename everything.

“Galaxy” has the same root. It’s just loaned from Greek rather than using English words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

In the specific context "advanced" pretty obviously means "aliens who somehow have FTL communication or travel"

Who don't exist. Given the scale of the universe it's pretty likely that there were, are, or will be weird squid people posting on Squid Awful but the part where we actually meet them and form the Galactic Federation of Posters is prolly nonsense

thats why i said it was a stupid concept. "advanced" just means whatever people imagine it to mean with no basis