Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

From r/relationships:

This is a lovely situation. At first I was going to roll my eyes at the guy being a dick but if she really is spontaneously, just now deciding what her life’s passion will be I’d be spooked, too.

Yes, there are ways to make a living in the arts. Yes, there are just as many bullshit ways to make a living in the arts. No, neither approach is any easier than the other plus both rely on luck and effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I thought everyone knew that retail store loss prevention is more about catching employee theft than actual customers.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I accidentally stole 3 things from Harris Teeter yesterday. I scanned everything but for some reason 3 items didn’t register even though they beeped. It brought up the “weight discrepancy” warning at the end of my checkout and the kid working didn’t even ask me about it. He just entered his code and let me leave. I didn’t realize there was even a problem until the end of the checkout and then only realized I hadn’t paid for some things when I looked at the receipt after getting home.

90% of loss prevention is having employees who give a poo poo. But why would they?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
So we need to pay them less and but facial recognition technology

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I legitimately accidentally walked out of best buy with a 64mb ram stick and the two friends I was with and I could not figure out when I picked it up. Shoplifting is not and was not something I ever do either we still talk about it 20 years later. This post is also how you know I'm white because if I wasn't it could not have happened.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Walmart doesn’t even make you put the stuff on the scale . You can just put it right back in the cart. If you are leaving without a bag they will ask to see your receipt but they literally just want to see that you have one and don’t actually look at it or what you are walking out with. So I’m not sure how one would actually get caught there unless they have mega secret security guards walking around tailing people.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

deedee megadoodoo posted:

I accidentally stole 3 things from Harris Teeter yesterday. I scanned everything but for some reason 3 items didn’t register even though they beeped. It brought up the “weight discrepancy” warning at the end of my checkout and the kid working didn’t even ask me about it. He just entered his code and let me leave. I didn’t realize there was even a problem until the end of the checkout and then only realized I hadn’t paid for some things when I looked at the receipt after getting home.

90% of loss prevention is having employees who give a poo poo. But why would they?

I mean if you're that kid, how do you figure that out without combing through your whole order item by item? And then

StormDrain posted:

I would have considered walking off when they started counting my stuff. It doesn't see. Like the items you had was worth the hassle.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Cacafuego posted:

I thought everyone knew that retail store loss prevention is more about catching employee theft than actual customers.

In my state, over 30% of restraining orders are issued for one entity: Wal-Mart.

They are all issued as part of successful criminal prosecutions and I doubt most of them are former employees.

Wal-Mart will also press charges for theft under $10 and the county keeps an officer at some Wal-Mart locations to save time and detain people.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

In my state, over 30% of restraining orders are issued for one entity: Wal-Mart.

They are all issued as part of successful criminal prosecutions and I doubt most of them are former employees.

Wal-Mart will also press charges for theft under $10 and the county keeps an officer at some Wal-Mart locations to save time and detain people.

Oh I don’t doubt it! When I worked at Best Buy, a good friend was the LP supervisor and I think he runs corporate all for them now, or is somewhere high up in their corporate LP. They (and I’m sure all retail LP) actively look for external retail theft, but their focus is stopping internal theft, whether it be products, money, or other fraud (returns, not scanning items for friends, etc).

I worked in the appliance section and it was routine to walk in and find broken spider wraps and the plastic security cases stuck in all the refrigerators as the appliance department was often the least busy and with large “dividers” between aisles (displayed refrigerators), so it was easier to conceal what they were doing.

To my knowledge, in my 3 years there, they never stopped or caught any customers stealing anything, except for one teenager who stole a non-activated gift cards and they tried to play “scared straight” with him and one person who stole a non-working display phone. They did prosecute employees for internal theft.

When I worked at toys R us, the cops showed up and perp walked the front end manager out who they had discovered embezzling, but they didn’t identify or prosecute any customers. They were so terrified of the risk of potential complaints by customers to the corporate overlords that they would let people return obviously fraudulent things all the time as long as the barcode would scan. My favorite was the car seat box with 2 pieces of wood in the bottom.

I think Walmart operates on a different level than the rest.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

Many states (California among them) have "civil demand" or "civil penalty" laws which basically allows the store to basically shake down people they catch shoplifting and say "pay us $X (usually many hundred dollars more than the value of whatever was stolen) right now as a penalty or we're going to file a lawsuit against you" but often if someone looks like they can pay (three guesses on how loss prevention "profiles" your ability to pay) it's put in the context of "if you pay us right now we won't call the cops"

I've heard all the arguments how yeah yeah stores need compensation for their losses or oh it's such a good idea to keep people's records clean over something minor but IMHO it's no different than some mob boss going "nice storefront you got there be a real shame if it burned down someday" because you didn't pay protection. I'm sure it's incredibly profitable for the store and probably scares straight some one-time shoplifters but it just seems incredibly unethical to shake down people who probably can't afford to pay it in the first place because that's why they're shoplifting.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Vice President posted:

Many states (California among them) have "civil demand" or "civil penalty" laws which basically allows the store to basically shake down people they catch shoplifting and say "pay us $X (usually many hundred dollars more than the value of whatever was stolen) right now as a penalty or we're going to file a lawsuit against you" but often if someone looks like they can pay (three guesses on how loss prevention "profiles" your ability to pay) it's put in the context of "if you pay us right now we won't call the cops"

I've heard all the arguments how yeah yeah stores need compensation for their losses or oh it's such a good idea to keep people's records clean over something minor but IMHO it's no different than some mob boss going "nice storefront you got there be a real shame if it burned down someday" because you didn't pay protection. I'm sure it's incredibly profitable for the store and probably scares straight some one-time shoplifters but it just seems incredibly unethical to shake down people who probably can't afford to pay it in the first place because that's why they're shoplifting.
Have you ever worked retail? I worked retail for several years and can count the number of times people stole food (not including carts full of only meat or beer) on one hand. It was always Ipads, video games, Blu-rays, jewelry, expensive clothes, and other luxury goods.

Most people don't steal to feed and cloth themselves. They do it because they think they can get away with getting something for free, and it is in no way unethical to gently caress those people over.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

SpartanIvy posted:

Have you ever worked retail? I worked retail for several years and can count the number of times people stole food (not including carts full of only meat or beer) on one hand. It was always Ipads, video games, Blu-rays, jewelry, expensive clothes, and other luxury goods.

Most people don't steal to feed and cloth themselves. They do it because they think they can get away with getting something for free, and it is in no way unethical to gently caress those people over.

Lol narc. You’ve definetly never worked retail

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

As someone who has worked retail you have my blessing to steal luxury goods

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-walmart-crime/

Unsurprisingly, WalMart intentionally spends less money on loss prevention than their peers because they know they can make the cops do it for free. Why use your own resources when you can use public resources that the community pays for?

quote:

Dennis Buckley found a way to get Walmart moving faster on crime: shaming and threats. A blunt former fire chief, Buckley is the mayor of Beech Grove, Ind., an Indianapolis suburb with a population of 14,000. He’d been swamped with complaints from his police chief about the daily calls to Walmart. He demanded action from Walmart’s local lawyer, as did the City Council. Nothing happened. Then, in June of last year, Buckley reached his limit. He received news that a local woman had been killed and her grandson seriously injured in a car crash caused by a Walmart shoplifter fleeing police. Later that day, he learned his town had become a laughingstock. A YouTube video of a fight at the Beech Grove Walmart was going viral. It showed two women, one riding a motorized scooter, the other accompanied by a 6-year-old boy, in a furious fistfight that turned into a profane wrestling match in the shampoo aisle. The video also contained glimpses of jeering bystanders recording the action on their phones. By the time Buckley saw the video, it had been viewed millions of times.

Enraged by the circus atmosphere around the video, he denounced Walmart on Facebook and in the local media. “The Beech Grove Walmart is NOT a good corporate partner,” he posted. The YouTube video “was embarrassing to the City of Beech Grove and the people who live in our beautiful city. Walmart should be ashamed of itself once again for failing to control the people who enter their store.”

Regional Walmart executives asked for a meeting with Buckley and Craig Wiley, the city attorney. “You could tell by their body language that they came to the meeting with a very conciliatory tone, and they were going to get their arms around the problem,” Wiley says. Walmart promised to hire security and extend a fence on the rear of its property, which barred an easy exit for shoplifters into a retirement community. It said it would skip calling the cops for first-time offenders shoplifting merchandise valued below $50 if the shoplifter completes the company’s theft-prevention program.

Buckley was pleased. But in the weeks following the meeting, Walmart dragged its heels. Buckley went public again, this time appearing on national cable news. “Walmart Beech Grove is draining our police resources,” he told Fox Business Network. “It’s the string of terrible events that have been occurring down there over the past two months that have led me to instruct our police chief to declare the Walmart a public nuisance.”

That meant the threat of a $2,500 fine for every call to the police. Walmart now pays for off-duty police to man the store, and the pressure on the local police has eased.
A year later, Buckley is pleased, but it still irks him that he had to go to such measures to get Walmart to act. “Cities really need to put their thumb down and get them to the table,” he says. “It’s taken a long time, but they can really be good partners if they want to be.”

huh weird force them to start paying for it and suddenly they don't need it as much

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

SpartanIvy posted:

I sure have worked retail. Then and now I gave zero fucks about people stealing a $60 playstation game from a billion dollar corporation when I was getting hosed over on inconsistent scheduling and being always scheduled exactly just under the number of hours to be considered full time and get benefits and being taken advantage of by being "encouraged" to work off the clock or get fired and blatant anti-union propaganda trying to turn us all into snitches. We'd always hear about how corporate was on the manager's rear end about the shrink rate at the store and the LP guys all salivated at the chance to really impress the boss with some ace detective work like they were going to crack some international theft ring or something but I guarantee you nobody but the Dwight Schrutes gave a poo poo even when forced to do the "can I help you sir?" routine as someone is wheeling out a cart full of flatscreens.

Lest I be accused of supporting Big Crime and the moral decay of society, remember kids, never steal from your local mom and pop store that actually cares about the community.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Well you sound like you had lots of high school aged coworkers who thought you were really cool, so congrats on your retail experience of sticking it to the man, I guess.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

SpartanIvy posted:

Well you sound like you had lots of high school aged coworkers who thought you were really cool, so congrats on your retail experience of sticking it to the man, I guess.

Yep you have defintely never worked retail or worked there for like a summer

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
People earning minimum wage can steal necessities and also luxury goods from billion dollar corporations if they want to

It's totally fine and even Good

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

SpartanIvy posted:

Are you a mall security guard?

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

Are you a mall security guard?

if he's a cop he has to tell us, it's like the law and everything

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
*switches to radio channel 3* they're onto me

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I prefer stealing content from other threads.

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for laughing at my sister after she fell for a bitcoin scam?

quote:

So, my sister(17F) fell for a bitcoin scam. I(16M) after finding out just started to laugh uncontrollably. She was being an idiot and got scammed that way.

She supposedly went on twitter and found an Elon Musk bitcoin scam which is extremely common. She somehow decided to send a thousand dollars worth of bitcoin to this address in hopes of getting a Tesla. How idiotic is that; a person who buys bitcoin has to know if all the scams that happen with an irreversible currency.

She’s calling me a prick and an rear end in a top hat for not helping her. The thing is, she can’t be helped. Bitcoin is not reversible and no bank is willing to insure her wallet.

So, AITA?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

SpartanIvy posted:

Luxury goods can be exchanged for money

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

It's good to add some context to this: If we were able to somehow eliminate all the theft in this image we would still be left with a system where coorporations exploit consumers, coorporations exploit workers, the workers/consumers pay taxes and the coorporations do not while burning through common resources without having to pay for them.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

The only extent to which I give a gently caress about theft is that it screws up the stock numbers and sometimes leaves me looking for items that don't exist.

But aside from that, lol, not my loving money. I've given away multiple things for free to sort out customer support issues without asking anyone, I just remember to give them a slip for it at the checkout counter so it gets properly subtracted from stock numbers. Also if I know it doesn't cause a problem later, I've happily tossed a lot of things that annoyed me into the trash compactor out back. It makes all evidence disappear. Probably some accountant somewhere is gonna cry about it, but lol, not my problem.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

From a friend in LP, his public enemy #1 for a week was a pair of old ladies who was going around doing quick change scams with gift cards and $50/$100 bills. They’d get a couple hundred at a time and hit up a few stores per day. They worked the scam by having the second lady yell at the cashier for taking too long when the first lady asked for change for multiple large bills, so it kind of sucked compared to the people who would brazenly load up a cart with wine and meat and walk out of the store.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Idgaf about shoplifters in big ol corporate stores, you do you. No skin off my nose.

Quick change artists are a different breed. They're assholes, and when they're successful it gives lovely management just another excuse to abuse (typically young) employees for "screwing up". gently caress them, throw them into a pit.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1414514547986141192

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

The sale gets 120 star review for sure.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Only once witnessed someone get busted for shoplifting in my retail time.

Worked at a warehouse store as a cart pusher (among other roles). It was late evening and we were caught up, so I was just hanging around with the receipt checkers. Manager walks up and talks to one of the checkers, then walks away. A guy approaches with a 30-ish gallon air compressor in a box on a flat bed and presents his receipt. Checker looks at the receipt, then opens up the compressor box and pulls out the haul:

an extension cord.

That's it. Dude got busted stealing an extension cord on top of his few hundred dollar purchase. Police were called and everything. (edit: I suspect someone just saw him jamming stuff in the box and reported it, not knowing that it was just a few bucks worth of stuff).

Other than that, someone did a show-and-tell of a cart that had like 30 of those plastic anti-theft CD/DVD things in it (empty, naturally). And watched one employee dip from aisle to aisle hiding behind stuff tailing someone suspected of shoplifting.

Oh and one time the store got really anti-shoplifting, so they instituted a "bag check" policy. Got to watch a receipt checker rifle through someone's purse exactly once before that policy quietly disappeared.

Power of Pecota posted:

I mean if you're that kid, how do you figure that out without combing through your whole order item by item? And then

They don't. All they're generally doing is making sure you're obviously trying to steal poo poo.

Receipt checkers at warehouse stores are just counting, that's why there's a big "you bought X items" at the bottom of the receipt. If there's big ticket items they'll double check that they were rung up, but generally they're just making sure the number of items in your cart matches what the receipt says, and if there's a discrepancy you're sent to the customer service desk to fix it. Probably saw just as many under-charges as I saw over-charges.

But in a grocery store situation, unless there's high dollar stuff, they're not going to waste their time on it. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten free stuff (as a customer) simply because the item wouldn't scan. Holding up a line of people and having someone even making minimum wage spend 5 minutes trying to figure something out is not a money maker for an item that sells for $3, especially considering how razor thin grocery store margins are. It's not worth their time to worry about one-off small stuff, it's the big stuff and repeat offenders that they're really going after.

edit: should clarify, I didn't steal poo poo. If an item wouldn't scan, the cashier or manager would just "whoops" it in to a bag.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jul 12, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I used to live in a neighborhood that you knew had a problem because the dollar store had a "no bags" policy and they wouldn't let me in unless I let them hold my backpack and briefcase until I checked out.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
In honor of our new TikTok embedding, please enjoy this lady who does geo guessing but for MLM pitches.
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/6983132051960597765

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

BonerGhost posted:

Idgaf about shoplifters in big ol corporate stores, you do you. No skin off my nose.

Quick change artists are a different breed. They're assholes, and when they're successful it gives lovely management just another excuse to abuse (typically young) employees for "screwing up". gently caress them, throw them into a pit.

Reminds me of when I was working as HR in retail (I did 29 years) and one of my store managers called me to say he was launching an investigation into one of his 18 year old cashiers who had been done out of £50 by a scammer with the notes/change trick.

It took me ages to get him to see that the cashier had been a victim of a crime and deducting the loss from her pay was not in fact okay.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Typically it’s easy to guess where high theft areas will be (the rougher neighborhoods), but self checkout registers spread the love. Uber rich folks will scan 2lbs of prime wagyu steak as 2lbs of ground beef and take the savings back to their multi million dollar homes to pair with their $250 bottles of wine that were scanned out as a $10 cupcake bottle.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Quick change artists are different as it’s pretty easy to find the cashier to blame

That’s when it’s worth giving a poo poo

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

quote:

How do i rebut a friend that says Bitcoin is a Ponzi scheme?

quote:

Bitcoin is not a Ponzi Scheme.

In a Ponzi scheme:

- there is an "operator" -- a central authority (one person, or a small group), a swindler.
- The swindler receives money from people
- The swindler promises investors that their money will be invested in some business venture with an expected high rate of return. There is no money-making business venture.
- The entire Ponzi Scheme is based upon a big, fat lie.
- The Ponzi scheme can only keep going so long as new suckers arrive to put their money into it.
- A Ponzi scheme cannot survive a "crash".
- A Ponzi scheme is illegal and immoral.

Bitcoin is legal, and honest.

Bitcoin has no central authority.

Bitcoin is purchased from other Bitcoin owners and/or multiple exchanges.

Bitcoin makes no promises about ROI.

Bitcoin is not, and does not pretend to be a "money making venture"; Bitcoin IS money.

Bitcoin has survived several crashes.

Bitcoin price goes up (or down) because of supply and demand in a genuine market.

Bitcoin is based upon truth, verified by mathematics: its blockchain is an immutable public record of every Bitcoin transaction ever made.

quote:

quote:

I think he meant pyramid scheme.

The differences are slight and quite meaningless in this context.

Bitcoin is neither a Ponzi scheme, nor a pyramid scheme, nor is it any kind of fraudulent "scheme" or scam.

quote:

Bitcoin is based on people and not a central government figure. That means it is the most human currency and will behave as humans do. Human society always leads to hierarchies where lots of people at the bottom enjoy coasting on the organization and decisions at the top. That means it may appear pyramid shaped, but it is not a pyramid scheme in the same was the People's Democratic Republic of North Korea is not a populist democracy.

quote:

Bitcoin has no inherent value

Neither does the US Dollar.

Bitcoin is useless for non-criminal real world transactions

Rubbish. I'll read no further in your response.

You have no credibility.

quote:

quote:

What was the last thing you bought with Bitcoin?

Bitcoin is a currency. A currency gives you a choice. I have chosen not to spend it and one of the best aspects of Bitcoin is privacy, which I will maintain by not answering the baiting questions of a FUDster.

quote:

quote:

So...what’s the last thing you actually bought using bitcoin? And was it a non-criminal purchase?

Bitcoin is not a Ponzi Scheme, not matter what I last bought with it.

quote:

The dollar has a the backing of the U.S. government and military.

The former Soviet Union had a superpower military backing it; it fell.

You see, the money supports/funds the military, not the other way around.

Will those soldiers enforcing fiat currency prefer to be paid in company script that may no longer be worth anything or accepted abroad? Or would they prefer being paid in something universal that can't be manipulated or stolen? When it comes down to it, most people will side with bitcoin.

quote:

But we do know that money is the root of all evil

The Bible actually says, "The LOVE OF money is the root of ALL KINDS OF evil." bitcoin is inarguable the most biblical currency and has the strongest scientific backing of any currency. That is why it will succeed.

quote:

quote:

Isn't the value of BTC based off of the dollar? How can a currency with no borders be pegged entirely to the value of a single currency?

The dollar is just a medium of exchange to simplify. You could use gold, seashells, or land and it would be the same. Bitcoin has a value and all other products derive their relative value from it.

quote:

quote:

How many BTC exchanges take seashells? Or anything other than dollars for BTC?

I don't know of any, but they could. I imagine many would be happy to take seashells if the shells had value because it would further disempower fiat currency.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Always a good sign when you have to write at length about how your plan to get rich quick isn’t technically a Ponzi Scheme.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

When I worked at best buy around 2003 they gave me a long speech about how carefully and thoroughly employees were tracked for purchases and using their discount. How you couldn't ever ring up an item for yourself etc etc.

Then one of the store managers rolls in, grabs a flat screen worth thousands, hauls it to the front of the store, unlocks a register with his account, and buys it.

The next day he brings just the receipt, logs into a register again, and returns it.

On the third day he got walked out in handcuffs.

Nobody knew how he thought he'd get away with it.