Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

boop the snoot posted:

The universe doesn’t deserve the burden of humans. Let’s just stay on this rock and not export our lovely behavior elsewhere. It’s bad enough here.

You think if we ever manage to find extra terrestrial life we wouldn’t just murder it all?

If there's anything out there that's gotten beyond type 1 they for sure have us on the travel prohibited list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Kazinsal posted:

it's (not) coming home

It's coming Rome!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Meshka posted:

NASA is a government entity, they don’t have the risk tolerance or incentive to quickly innovate.

Seriously, it took them years to go from Mercury to Apollo 11.

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

FrozenVent posted:

Seriously, it took them years to go from Mercury to Apollo 11.

No, but it was a different time. They are not doing it now, private companies are. Sure it will be the rich adventurers who benefit immediately, but the technology and experience might lead to commonplace space travel in 30 years.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

Meshka posted:

No, but it was a different time. They are not doing it now, private companies are. Sure it will be the rich adventurers who benefit immediately, but the technology and experience might lead to commonplace space travel in 30 years.

Because private industry will do a better job with space travel than they did with healthcare.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Meshka posted:

might lead to commonplace space travel in 30 years.

I was going to type a detailed retort but I will just leave it with a LOL no.

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

ZombieApostate posted:

Because private industry will do a better job with space travel than they did with healthcare.

Completely different industries and they already are doing a better job.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Help me understand where this commonplace space travel would go to

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Why the gently caress do you want to send people into space

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

maffew buildings posted:

obviously to the bezos international space port on the moon.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

maffew buildings posted:

I mean, Australia is the most often visited place in the world right? That would require economical suborbital flights right?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Meshka posted:

Completely different industries and they already are doing a better job.

…because the government completely defunded NASA and forced them to use ULA and SpaceX?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

SpaceX getting bucks from NASA and using gov launch facilities

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Eej posted:

Why the gently caress do you want to send people into space

Because it owns

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Flikken posted:

Let's swing some aerospace dicks at Russia and China

Never get into a space dick fight with countries that don't care about where they drop their loads.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Never get into a space dick fight with countries that don't care about where they drop their loads.

Go big or go home, gently caress it!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Milo and POTUS posted:

In what manner?

Fareed would ask something like "so is branson going to space?" And NdGT just went like, "no" and broke out a globe going to town on explaining why it isn't space. Just Neil being Neil.

His entire bit can be summed up basically as saying "Shepard did this in the 60s" and "no that isn't space."

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

That Works posted:

SpaceX getting bucks from NASA and using gov launch facilities

NASA has spent 20$b for SLS development with a projected cost of 2$b a launch with only one a year and nothing to show for it. Boeing is sure consistent in not delivering. At least SpaceX has proven rockets that are also probably cheaper.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Meshka posted:

NASA has spent 20$b for SLS development with a projected cost of 2$b a launch with only one a year and nothing to show for it. Boeing is sure consistent in not delivering. At least SpaceX has proven rockets that are also probably cheaper.

Yes and SpaceX is working off the backs of public funding and public facilities. Acting like it's just the success of a private entity ignores a lot.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Yeah I'm thoroughly anti-Elon but SpaceX has managed to crank out more advancements in space exploration technology in the past 10 years than the traditional MIC-associated space contractors have in 40.

At some point they're probably going to get approval to start firing up nuclear reactors for NTRs and things are going to get actually exciting. Meanwhile Boeing will still be trying to figure out how to get a cargo drone to not have a one in four chance of randomly exploding and Lock-Mart will be too busy fleecing every penny they can out of the DoD for the F-42 to care about space travel.

It turns out when your space stuff is being done by an entity that doesn't make way more money off the US's enormous military budget, they have some incentive to give a bit of a gently caress.

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

That Works posted:

Yes and SpaceX is working off the backs of public funding and public facilities. Acting like it's just the success of a private entity ignores a lot.

Maybe, the point is so is every other aerospace contractor, except they were more expensive and did not deliver what they promised. Obviously SpaceX’s success is due to their partnership with NASA. The difference is that they quickly developed good rockets that NASA and US mil now uses for missions instead of throwing money down a hole for Boeing and Lockheed.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

Yeah I'm thoroughly anti-Elon but SpaceX has managed to crank out more advancements in space exploration technology in the past 10 years than the traditional MIC-associated space contractors have in 40.

At some point they're probably going to get approval to start firing up nuclear reactors for NTRs and things are going to get actually exciting. Meanwhile Boeing will still be trying to figure out how to get a cargo drone to not have a one in four chance of randomly exploding and Lock-Mart will be too busy fleecing every penny they can out of the DoD for the F-42 to care about space travel.

It turns out when your space stuff is being done by an entity that doesn't make way more money off the US's enormous military budget, they have some incentive to give a bit of a gently caress.

Largely agree with this except it ignores all of non human exploration stuff since Voyager 2. NASA has had a shitload of exploration stuff going on that is wildly successful. All the human spaceflight related crap is where they are terrible.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Meshka posted:

NASA has done amazing things, especially via Mars rovers and deep space probes, but Space X pioneered reusable rockets and Virgin Galactic might pioneer sub orbital passenger vehicles. NASA is a government entity, they don’t have the risk tolerance or incentive to quickly innovate.

SpaceX is largely using JPL sourced research for this stuff. Did they improve on it? Yes. But what you are seeing SpaceX do is built off decades of JPL and tax payer funded research. SpaceX just took it a step further. Even thought SpaceX designed their engines in house, they were designed using knowledge gained from the Apollo and Shuttle programs to improve engine design.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_DC-X

Kazinsal posted:

SpaceX is doing amazing work. But they are not doing it in vacuum. Had we not had decades of NASA/JPL research that is publicly available for re-use, funded by Taxpayers, Spacex wouldn't be doing what it does right now.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 12, 2021

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
It is worth noting that even in the Apollo days, NASA wasn't designing and building the rockets by themselves. The Saturn V was built from components constructed by Boeing, North American Aviation, Douglas, and Grumman, and the F1 rocket engine was designed by Rocketdyne. Musk is obviously a tremendous rear end in a top hat who deserves infinite scorn, but SpaceX and NASA both do good work, and hopefully they can both continue to do good work in the future.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

That Works posted:

Largely agree with this except it ignores all of non human exploration stuff since Voyager 2. NASA has had a shitload of exploration stuff going on that is wildly successful. All the human spaceflight related crap is where they are terrible.

Yeah, that's fair, non-crewed exploration marches on quite well. I definitely cannot see a timeline in which SpaceX decides to start cranking out ultra-high-resolution space telescopes.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Ataxerxes posted:

Italy just beat England at football Euro champioships.

Happy joy, if they hadn't I'd have had to go out tooled up the next week for the crime of being black and british.

On the space tin can, it isn't impressive in any terms but it may be useful, one of the things I've been working on for a while now is putting a cube sat up for educational purposes of kids in school here (like 18 years old or less, doing their A-Levels in the UK). It's all still preliminary, but having more boomers interested in space who I can get some sponsorship or funding off from like 0.01% of their retirement fund (because space is cool) is a genuinely useful thing.

Hexyflexy fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 19, 2021

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Fareed would ask something like "so is branson going to space?" And NdGT just went like, "no" and broke out a globe going to town on explaining why it isn't space. Just Neil being Neil.

His entire bit can be summed up basically as saying "Shepard did this in the 60s" and "no that isn't space."

I finally found the apogee as 282,000ft which indeed does not meet the FAI definition of space which is the Karman line at 100km. That’s not binding on anyone however and US defines space as 50miles.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
SA’s own illectro made a video about where the line for space is drawn (skip to 11min mark for that or watch the whole thing for Wally Funk’s kickass story):

https://youtu.be/0b1VgtyIQN0

The US uses 50 miles not to be obtuse to the rest of the world but because that’s the point where orbital stuff starts to deorbit real quick due to the atmosphere.

FAI uses 100km because while it’s somewhere around 50mi/80km that stuff falls out of orbit, they rounded it up to 100km for a nice even number.

It’s all an arbitrary assigned boundary anyway.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 12, 2021

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Ah okay. Figured as much.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Space is cool so is going to space, this is seriously all the justification I need

MOON BASE MOTHERFUCKERS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

facialimpediment posted:

It'll be fun when space kills its first millionaire because they think it's Wars/Trek instead of The Expanse.

Space wants/tries to kill everyone in it. I'm cool with feeding it billionaires.

Even The Expanse is very forgiving of the mechanics of spaceflight. It’s always the human factors that do them in.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Even The Expanse is very forgiving of the mechanics of spaceflight. It’s always the human factors that do them in.

Yeah, The Expanse has magic hyper efficient fusion drives that can burn at 0.3G for months at a time with a remass tank that’s only half the mass of the ship. In reality, the mass flow of the NERVA solid-core nuclear thermal rocket was 8.5 kg/s at full throttle and it never actually flew because people got scared of putting fission cores in space.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Space is cool so is going to space, this is seriously all the justification I need

MOON BASE MOTHERFUCKERS

Billionaires blowing money on 20s space visits so that other rich people can joyride in space in the near future while the planet boils, people starve and die of treatable diseases isn't exactly a good thing

Like what is the point of manned spaceflight when unmanned probes and rovers do the same poo poo but cheaper

Lmao at the idea of building infrastructure on the moon when lovely infrastructure crushes 100 people in their homes in Miami

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I have a question about the upcoming wars over moon land

Do guns shoot in space? What’s the max effective range of a 10/22 on the moon?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kazinsal posted:

Yeah, The Expanse has magic hyper efficient fusion drives that can burn at 0.3G for months at a time with a remass tank that’s only half the mass of the ship. In reality, the mass flow of the NERVA solid-core nuclear thermal rocket was 8.5 kg/s at full throttle and it never actually flew because people got scared of putting fission cores in space.

It’s not just that. It stuff like “with the power of friendship, we fixed up some rich rear end in a top hat’s abandoned yacht in a apocalyptic hellscape and flew it to safety”.

If not for plot armor, everyone would be dead a dozen times over from life support failure, and that’s not even counting combat.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yes and also shotguns actually do send people flying

both shooter and shootee

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

boop the snoot posted:

Do guns shoot in space?

Yes. The Russians even did it with an autocannon on one of the Salyuts.

Congratulations. You now know more than the technical consultant on Firefly.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Eej posted:

Billionaires blowing money on 20s space visits so that other rich people can joyride in space in the near future while the planet boils, people starve and die of treatable diseases isn't exactly a good thing

We have all the resources to fix that all over the planet right now, we don't because most people on the planet don't want to. Our species sucks.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

boop the snoot posted:

Do guns shoot in space? What’s the max effective range of a 10/22 on the moon?

They do, actually. The Soviets came very close to breaking the "no weapons in space" rule by arming a few satellites with 23mm autocannon: https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/a18187/here-is-the-soviet-unions-secret-space-cannon/

As for hand-held guns in space: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2syOr578p8

There's nothing stopping a gun from shooting in space, but there might be a higher chance of malfunction because of the absence of gravity.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Platystemon posted:

It’s not just that. It stuff like “with the power of friendship, we fixed up some rich rear end in a top hat’s abandoned yacht in a apocalyptic hellscape and flew it to safety”.

If not for plot armor, everyone would be dead a dozen times over from life support failure, and that’s not even counting combat.

Yeah, Belter ships definitely have the most realistic tech levels. It’s a miraculous day when something doesn’t poo poo the bed, the food is crap and mostly made of algae and yeast, and everyone fucks all the time because there’s nothing else to do.