Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Slavvy posted:

Now seems like a good time to ask: what is up with those stupid skinny not-schrader valves that have the little thing you turn manually to unseat them?

Cause they seem to be utterly worthless at holding the air on the inside and I don't know why you would put them on a mountain bike, I've modified one wheel to take a sane valve but still need to do the other.

Presta valves? They allow for la smaller hole in the rim, which is especially nice on MTBs. How did you “modify” this wheel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Slavvy posted:

Now seems like a good time to ask: what is up with those stupid skinny not-schrader valves that have the little thing you turn manually to unseat them?

Cause they seem to be utterly worthless at holding the air on the inside and I don't know why you would put them on a mountain bike, I've modified one wheel to take a sane valve but still need to do the other.

Do you mean Presta valves? Absolutely normal valves to find on a bicycle? For like a century? Don't ghetto drill / modify your rims just because you don't understand how to use normal bicycle valves buddy.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I know how to use them, they just always go flat? I've had someone who knows what they're doing replace the tubes and explain how to use them and they still both lost like half their pressure after a handful of rides. I just drilled a slightly larger hole, horrifying I know, so now I can run tubes with normal schraders I can fill with a normal air fitting. Didn't realize this would be controversial. I just want to know how they're meant to be good at all.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

The only good valve caps are the ones with the integrated valve core tool so you don’t have to root around to find the little black core tool

Super cool light up skull and dice valve caps beg to differ.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

Super cool light up skull and dice valve caps beg to differ.

I went with blue ones, but I did consider going with either a bee or emoji one.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Slavvy posted:

I know how to use them, they just always go flat? I've had someone who knows what they're doing replace the tubes and explain how to use them and they still both lost like half their pressure after a handful of rides. I just drilled a slightly larger hole, horrifying I know, so now I can run tubes with normal schraders I can fill with a normal air fitting. Didn't realize this would be controversial. I just want to know how they're meant to be good at all.

Keep us updated on the progress of the crack propagation in your rims

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Vando posted:

Keep us updated on the progress of the crack propagation in your rims

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I’m finding my neck gets really tight and sometimes painful after long rides.

Any stretches or warm ups people have found to prevent this?

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I thought part of the point of Presta valves was that they could hold a higher pressure than Schraeder valves. They can be a bit weird at first if you've come from cars and haven't seen them before, but they're good. Just tighten them up properly.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
I find presta valves annoying compared to Schrader valves and I'm not sure why they became the standard since Schrader valves seem to work just fine and are the standard in numerous applications (including cheaper bikes). However, they aren't enough of an issue that I'd take some sort of action to fix.

However, I am very stupid and don't know how to ride a bike properly (see my posts from yesterday), so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 12, 2021

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

I thought part of the point of Presta valves was that they could hold a higher pressure than Schraeder valves. They can be a bit weird at first if you've come from cars and haven't seen them before, but they're good. Just tighten them up properly.

Mountain bike shocks use much higher pressure than any bike tires and use schrader valves. And mountain bike tires run lower pressures than cars and use presta valves. I don’t think that’s the reason and had thought it was more about requiring a smaller hole in a narrow rim.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Slavvy posted:

How about you stop accidentally buying latex tubes.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Slavvy posted:

I know how to use them, they just always go flat?

My partner's bike hasn't been ridden since before covid and the tires still have pressure. I don't think it's a design flaw in presta dude.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Presta... and old tubes leak like a sieve. Especially at higher pressures. Rubber is gonna pass some air, just like tubes used in motos.

My mtb came with probably decade old tubes and leaked like all hell, with new tires I went to tubeless. It leaks down a lot lot slower now though there's a solid 4-5 variables involved there.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Those wheels sound ready for di2 now though so you’ve got that going for you.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I thought doing a presta -> schrader mod on rims was considered relatively harmless?

I vastly prefer presta myself, because you deflate them without a tool and there’s no chance they’ll get clogged with filth if you lose your valve cap. If you think they’re less reliable than schrader for some reason you must’ve had a lovely batch of tubes

e: presta also usually has removable/replaceable valve cores, which makes tubeless a hell of a lot easier

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 12, 2021

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
You can take the cores out of Schrader valves as well.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Steve French posted:

Mountain bike shocks use much higher pressure than any bike tires and use schrader valves. And mountain bike tires run lower pressures than cars and use presta valves. I don’t think that’s the reason and had thought it was more about requiring a smaller hole in a narrow rim.

Yeah the smaller hole in the rim makes more sense, I had never reaply though about it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah I'm not gonna stress about turning a 6mm hole into an 8mm hole wrecking my wheels, the rim is a good inch across and IRL experience leads me to believe it won't matter.

Schrader valves routinely handle hundreds of psi. My tube was brand new, fitted by a guy other than me, and it can't hold 60psi for a week while the other tube is the same situation but with a Schrader and it hasn't dropped a pound. Plus I have an air compressor and a tyre gauge that work on every other tyre in my universe so I'm not dealing with added bullshit if I don't have to.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Slavvy posted:

Yeah I'm not gonna stress about turning a 6mm hole into an 8mm hole wrecking my wheels, the rim is a good inch across and IRL experience leads me to believe it won't matter.

Schrader valves routinely handle hundreds of psi. My tube was brand new, fitted by a guy other than me, and it can't hold 60psi for a week while the other tube is the same situation but with a Schrader and it hasn't dropped a pound. Plus I have an air compressor and a tyre gauge that work on every other tyre in my universe so I'm not dealing with added bullshit if I don't have to.

Not sure why you insist on blaming the Presta design.

Here are some possibilities:

1) Defective tube.
2) Your “expert tube fitter” gave you a latex tube
3) The tube has a removable valve core and it wasn’t threaded tightly at some point.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 12, 2021

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Slavvy posted:

Presta valves have their faults but they tend to hold air just as well as schraeders. It’s almost certainly user error, which makes your claim about IRL experience leading you to drill your wheels instead of buying the $1 adapter really funny. Don’t forget to debur the holes

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I know, I just don't give a poo poo tbh. It is a garbage design. Schrader valves are on every tyre on every vehicle on the road except for bicycles seemingly and they work perfectly. Even if they were just as good, I would still have to buy a new fitting/adapter for my compressor, never be able to use the pump at a gas station, and gently caress around with a bizarre manual valve collar seemingly from the twenties, for a bike that owes me $150 tops. Or I can drill a couple of holes and enjoy.

I don't need help, I'm fine doing what I'm doing even if you think it's dumb, I was just wondering if there's some hidden advantage to them and smaller holes seem like the only thing mentioned that could qualify as a real reason.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Head Bee Guy posted:

I’m finding my neck gets really tight and sometimes painful after long rides.

Any stretches or warm ups people have found to prevent this?
Make sure you are not tilting your head backward more than necessary; you only need to see the horizon at the top of your field of view.

It gets better after you get more used to being on a bike. You can do plank and other core exercices, it helps.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I haven’t ridden my bike in a week because I tore something serious in the back of my knee bending down to pick up a sock the dog had stolen :(

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Slavvy posted:

I know, I just don't give a poo poo tbh. It is a garbage design. Schrader valves are on every tyre on every vehicle on the road except for bicycles seemingly and they work perfectly. Even if they were just as good, I would still have to buy a new fitting/adapter for my compressor, never be able to use the pump at a gas station, and gently caress around with a bizarre manual valve collar seemingly from the twenties, for a bike that owes me $150 tops. Or I can drill a couple of holes and enjoy.

I don't need help, I'm fine doing what I'm doing even if you think it's dumb, I was just wondering if there's some hidden advantage to them and smaller holes seem like the only thing mentioned that could qualify as a real reason.

You sound very mad for someone who doesn't give a poo poo

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Is he using Dunlop valves?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Skarsnik posted:

You sound very mad for someone who doesn't give a poo poo

I'm not owned, I shout as I deflate from an improperly tightened Presta core.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Can't believe I've kept using these useless valves that can't hold air, their one job, all these years.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I drilled a hole to my front suspension fork so I could mount a fender. Hopefully I won't die when the fork eventually splits from the hole!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ihmemies posted:

I drilled a hole to my front suspension fork so I could mount a fender. Hopefully I won't die when the fork eventually splits from the hole!

LAC at least had a picture for proof.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I will admit working in safety engineering has had an impact on my response to "simply drill a hole" mods. They're all probably fine but do keep an eye on them.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Slavvy posted:

Schrader valves are on every tyre on every vehicle on the road except for bicycles seemingly and they work perfectly.

The answer as to why bicycles use Presta valves seems to be that bicycles are inherently French, while cars (and the rest of industry in the 20th century) are American. Presta valves were invented in France in the 1880s/1890s, while Schrader valves were invented in the US in 1892 or 93 or so. The bicycle industry adopted them due to Frenchness and then hastily justified it by mumbling about how you could run narrower tires. They both do the same job equally well modulo some quirks.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Idk if it’s a thing globally but in the U.K. double headed pumps are a incredibly common thing, the gas canister thingies are push on and not screw on as well. I don’t know anyone who would argue for one kind over another, and I know people who would have fisticuffs over which brand of cycling shoe is best.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004
a friend took pity on my beater commuter and gave me a very nice but suitably anonymous-looking mismatched set of 90s Shimano XTR wheels. They are great except one rim is Presta and the other has been drilled out to Schrader. I should just run 2 Presta tubes with an adapter but instead I was lazy and left them mismatched and then only had a Schrader spare when the Presta flatted :(

that and valve caps (fancy as heck or none) are the only reasons to care about valves though!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

You tend to not leave caps on after you've seen a frozen on one unscrew a core from a valve, whilst you're freezing your bollocks off waiting for someone to fix a flat. It tends to hold the process up somewhat

On more than one occasion I should add

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

learnincurve posted:

I haven’t ridden my bike in a week because I tore something serious in the back of my knee bending down to pick up a sock the dog had stolen :(

I feel your pain. Earlier in the year I bent over to pick up a dog toy and threw out my back. A week later, I had finally recovered and spent a couple hours working on my bike prepping for the first outdoor ride of the year (high of 78 vs the 50s we had been having every day). The next morning my rear end was sore from crouching a lot, but whatever. A minute after getting out of bed, the dogs run up to me, so I crouch down to pet them. I start rising back up, but bend at the waist for one last pet, and bam! No bike ride, and I was out almost two more weeks.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Vando posted:

I will admit working in safety engineering has had an impact on my response to "simply drill a hole" mods. They're all probably fine but do keep an eye on them.

I'm quite surprised but apparently this is an approved operation by Park, even if their 'burr inspection' is exceedingly casual for the sake of moving the video along:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjMRj0jEef0&t=220s

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

VideoGameVet posted:

I last did this ride in 2016. Yesterday I managed to beat that time by 44 minutes even though the route had 1000 ft of extra climbing.

Not bad for an old man.

Older cyclists are wonderful motivation. I group with a guy every weekend down the strand who is 78 and hits 20mph on the flats. I get closer to keeping up with him every week (I'm 38).

That is one epic ride I'd love to try once I'm back in shape though kudos!

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

My Walmart bike as a kid and my Brompton now both have schrader valves. I wonder if it was a choice made because schrader is so common outside of the nice bike world.

This Bontrager pump is the one I use and it does both presta and schrader: https://www.rei.com/product/152973/bontrager-charger-floor-pump Kind of a pain sometimes since the brompton has such small spaces between the spokes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Maybe don't jump into a thread posting angrily about things you don't know much about and show off your ignorance and then claim "it's all stupid I'll do what I want!"

Whether or not presta is dumb is kinda beside the point when millions of people use them just fine and without issue yet here you are

Skarsnik posted:

You tend to not leave caps on after you've seen a frozen on one unscrew a core from a valve, whilst you're freezing your bollocks off waiting for someone to fix a flat. It tends to hold the process up somewhat

On more than one occasion I should add

It's probably dumb but I leave valve caps on for gravel/mountain bikes when lots of mud and dirt could be in the equation. Plus it gives a chance to spend dumb money to get some blingy aluminum caps and add a bit of customization to the bike.
I don't live someplace where it gets very cold though