Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Mary Demarle posted:

as human beings we want simple answers and we want to understand things right away, but many people are only looking at things from their own standpoint and their own vision because that's all they know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
gently caress off idiot.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
huh

what is even going on

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I didn't ask for this.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sally posted:

huh

what is even going on

I have no idea

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

You heard me

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
What a shame.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You've got ten seconds to beat it before I add you to the list of NSF casulties

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7NzifR9BQs

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Sally posted:

I didn't ask for this.

Yeah, rip.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKLmZNnMT0A

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

goddamnit beaten! wtf!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
by one minute!

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I like Deus Ex cuz its fun to break into people's apartments and move thier refrigerators.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Crowetron posted:

I like Deus Ex cuz its fun to break into people's apartments and move thier refrigerators.

Oh BRO!

Jump in,throw refrigerator across room,rifle through drawers,steal everything,hack computer,read sensitive information,bounce out the window like a loving flea.

Bonus points if you gently caress up the room then put everything back but just sliiightly the wrong way.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Sally posted:

goddamnit beaten! wtf!

Shitposting augs. You need to evolve, or you get left behind.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Oh BRO!

Jump in,throw refrigerator across room,rifle through drawers,steal everything,hack computer,read sensitive information,bounce out the window like a loving flea.

Bonus points if you gently caress up the room then put everything back but just sliiightly the wrong way.

all doors must be blocked by refrigerators, this is the adam jensen law

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That's about the only thing HR had over the original, how fun it was to yeet appliances at people

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Leave mines inside showers

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

That's about the only thing HR had over the original, how fun it was to yeet appliances at people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l3wOT9cSg4

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

That, and the gameplay, graphics, voice acting etc

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Cleretic posted:

EDIT: Also, a neat thing that came out when HR was new: People with autism (particularly high-functioning autism) actually tended to do better in those sections without the CASIE aug, which was a really neat thing to learn and unpack. A lot of autistic people learn to consciously recognize emotional and social cues, since they don't have the subconscious recognition as strongly, so they were actually reading the cues harder than your average player and doing very well at that. But give them the CASIE aug and they started treating it more as a logic/reading comprehension puzzle, which led to them doing worse because they started neglecting the social side.

That....huh. Yeah, I think I did have that exact experience.

Also when I say dialogue system, that includes the incredibly sensible "basic gist as each option on the dialogue 'wheel', hover over them to see exactly what you're about to say with no ambiguity" UI. It infuriates me any time I see modern games still do the "pick yes or no, oops yes actually means your character calls their mother a whore" type poo poo.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Prey does this too. Crank up your Strength and a bunch of things stop being obstacles and instead become weapons.
Beaning a Phantom with a reployer is very ammo-efficient.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

That, and the gameplay, graphics, voice acting etc

The Lone Badger posted:

Prey does this too. Crank up your Strength and a bunch of things stop being obstacles and instead become weapons.
Beaning a Phantom with a reployer is very ammo-efficient.

Best way to play Prey given how not great the guns feel

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
gloo gun feels great though!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Nothing objective as far you're concerned, I wager

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

John Murdoch posted:

It infuriates me any time I see modern games still do the "pick yes or no, oops yes actually means your character calls their mother a whore" type poo poo.

I remember being really disappointed when I realized that for a lot of the dialogue "choices" in Mass Effect, Shepard says the exact same line no matter which option you choose.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Alien Arcana posted:

I remember being really disappointed when I realized that for a lot of the dialogue "choices" in Mass Effect, Shepard says the exact same line no matter which option you choose.

I just finished playing through Legendary Edition for the second time, and didn't have this happen once

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Oh BRO!

Mankind Divided, one of the finest apartment burglary simulators out there.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I just finished playing through Legendary Edition for the second time, and didn't have this happen once

It happens a few times in Mass Effect 1 specifically, IIRC when you’re talking about what you saw in the prothean beacon right afterwards and a couple times during the council scenes. I don’t think it happens at all during the second and third games

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Vic posted:

It's even worse because I'm pretty sure they only made it take place in Prague because of Karel Čapek because get it robots, and the racism idea came later.

You could very well be correct, but also Prague does love the Golem story. They have their own local version that seems to have a substantial place in the public consciousness. When I was there the local fancy toy store had a big golem display to draw people in, even.

E: https://www.google.com/amp/s/theculturetrip.com/europe/czech-republic/articles/the-legend-of-the-golem-of-prague/%3famp=1

Akratic Method has a new favorite as of 08:19 on Jul 12, 2021

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Akratic Method posted:

You could very well be correct, but also Prague does love the Golem story. They have their own local version that seems to have a substantial place in the public consciousness. When I was there the local fancy toy store had a big golem display to draw people in, even.

E: https://www.google.com/amp/s/theculturetrip.com/europe/czech-republic/articles/the-legend-of-the-golem-of-prague/%3famp=1

Well the golem of Prague is the popular Golem story. The one where Rabbi Loew creates the Golem to protect the jewish community against pogroms.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Weird, for some reason I thought that story was way older than that originally.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

im sympathetic to the writers of DE for struggling to write discrimination against augmented humans without making it incredibly hokey because the only comparable historical parallel they had to mine was the time people got their google glasses smashed because they wouldnt stop filming strangers

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Allegory is for the weak.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

exquisite tea posted:

Allegory is for the weak.

Obligatory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk7M2jGdnxU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Something funny just happened in DX:MD,there’s a part where baddies track you to an apartment complex and before they broke in i threw a fridge at them which blocked the door,this caused their pathing to freak out and they ran around the complex alerting not only the heavily armed gun runners downstairs but the 2 heavily armed police officers across from them.

These baddies got mowed down and it was a complete accident.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I really should play the new Deus Ex games at some point, I got DE:HR in a Humble Bundle at some point and never got around to playing it :shobon:

As for OG Deus Ex, this always needs a repost: http://www.it-he.org/deus.php

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

I’d say Mankind divided is a lot more about exploring and has less of the “stealth room” stuff that was in Human revolution (although there is still that) and it’s so much better for it,i’m enjoying it alot.

I remember vaguely people saying it was too short and the hub world stuff wasn’t good but gently caress that i’m loving all of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I’d say Mankind divided is a lot more about exploring and has less of the “stealth room” stuff that was in Human revolution (although there is still that) and it’s so much better for it,i’m enjoying it alot.

I remember vaguely people saying it was too short and the hub world stuff wasn’t good but gently caress that i’m loving all of it.

The hubworld in Mankind Divided is probably as close as we've come to Warren Spector's line about a simulated city block. It's not very big, but it is dense.