Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Obviously the US has done dumber poo poo, but this doesn't strike me as a US operation. I'd bet someone in his cabinet betrayed him, or an organized crime group got tired of him.

Won't be shocked if we find out it was a us backed internal coup later of course, with the above Vietnam examples as model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, 'I don't think this was a US government operation, but I'm open to the possibility' seems like a healthy, reasonable mindset here.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

no hay camino posted:

It sounds like he got what was coming to him, although whether Haiti is any better off without him is a different question.

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, 'I don't think this was a US government operation, but I'm open to the possibility' seems like a healthy, reasonable mindset here.

yeah it's not like there's exactly a shortage of people who wanted to kill the guy

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/HaitiInfoProj/status/1413269255873712129

This video of a bunch of white guys who look like mercs (fashionable jeans + desert camo boots ha!). But, are they even the guys? It doesn't match with other descriptions, where only two other assassins were captured alive.

The fact that they're being taken alive is good, nonetheless, they're not being treated as loose ends, but instead can be interrogated. If anything it makes me rank Joseph lower on the list of suspects.

Whoever orchestrated this didn't have a good plan of taking power, and whoever fired the shots didn't have a good plan of getting away.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

Would the fall of the Diệm regime in Vietnam count as precedent there?

I mean this seems a bit weirder than that even.

Arming multiple groups that were occasionally fighting eachother during the SCW?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Whoever orchestrated this didn't have a good plan of taking power, and whoever fired the shots didn't have a good plan of getting away.

I mean you're assuming whoever ordered the hit had a plan to take power. Moïse had a hell of a lot of enemies and I'm pretty sure some of them had reasons to kill him that didn't involve seizing control of the government.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 9, 2021

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
So apparently the government of Colombia has confirmed that six of the suspects involved in the assassination of the Haitian president are ex-members of the Colombian army.

https://www.bbc.com/mundo/noticias-america-latina-57759824

quote:

El gobierno de Colombia confirmó que al menos seis personas de un grupo de extranjeros capturados o muertos en Haití como supuestos autores del magnicidio son miembros retirados de sus fuerzas armadas.

Translation:
The government of Colombia confirmed that at least 6 people from a group of foreigners captured or killed in Haiti, allegedly involved in the assassination, are retired members of its armed forces.

The assassins are reported to have spoken English or Spanish, and noticeably not French or creole. As stated in the AP article Phobophilia linked before:

quote:

[Interim Prime Minister Claude] Joseph said the heavily armed gunmen spoke Spanish or English, but gave no further details.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jul 9, 2021

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Phobophilia posted:

https://twitter.com/HaitiInfoProj/status/1413269255873712129

This video of a bunch of white guys who look like mercs (fashionable jeans + desert camo boots ha!). But, are they even the guys? It doesn't match with other descriptions, where only two other assassins were captured alive.

The fact that they're being taken alive is good, nonetheless, they're not being treated as loose ends, but instead can be interrogated. If anything it makes me rank Joseph lower on the list of suspects.

Yeah I was going to say, weren't at least a couple of them confirmed to be Haitian Americans?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
I'd guess also very likely that most of the guys on the hit squad had no idea they were killing the president of Haiti, perhaps even all of the guys that were there in person, or they would have had a better escape plan. If they had killed some corrupt drug boss/politician crossover then I'm sure their lacksadaisical escape plan would have worked. I mean just showing the photo of the target wouldn't mean very much to most people, and what are they going to do, tineye a printed photo of their target that they might not even get to keep in their position?

Although I am kind of surprised that Haiti has a sufficiently-functioning intelligence service to get what look plausibly like the culprits so fast. Maybe they did something really stupid like keep their cell phones on, or not take the cell phones away from the police officers they temporarily kidnapped.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

It's actually really common for people to meticulously plan a murder and then either not plan the aftermath or have a plan that's laughably inadequate. It's what gets a lot of murderers caught.

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
Jacobin has an interview with a Haitian journalist who suggests that the assassination was planned by rich Haitian businessmen to get the US to step in and prevent a revolution led by a former cop turned Punisher turned lumpenproletarian revolutionary leader.

https://twitter.com/jacobin/status/1413586693395992576?s=21

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

quote:

Biden administration officials, while sympathetic to the humanitarian misery unfolding some 700 miles south of Florida, and mindful of a potential mass exodus of Haitian refugees like one that occurred in the 1990s, nevertheless show no immediate enthusiasm for sending even a limited American force into the midst of politically-based civil strife and disorder.

The administration has said it will send officials from the F.B.I. and the Department of Homeland Security to Port-au-Prince to assess how they might help assist the government’s investigation into the murky circumstances of Mr. Moïse’s killing.

But Pentagon officials were taken off guard by the Haitian request late Friday. While they said it would be dutifully reviewed, there is little appetite among senior military leaders to dispatch U.S. troops.

“Absolutely not. We do not want U.S. troops, U.S. boots, U.S. uniforms, none of that,” Monique Clesca, a Haitian writer and civil society activist, told CNN on Saturday. “Because in Haiti, Haitians have been traumatized by the occupation of the country during 34 years by the United States, we do not want U.S. intervention or troops or anything.”

“The international community is complicit in what is going on in Haiti,” Ms. Clesca added.

Another disincentive for Biden is the seemingly vague nature of Haiti’s request, including what it is American troops would be expected to do.

from The New York Times

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/miamiherald/status/1413949740635631616?s=21

Oh dear.

quote:

Seventeen Colombians and two Haitian Americans from South Florida are in custody in Haiti. A person who interviewed the detained Colombians in Haiti told the Miami Herald that the men claimed to have been recruited to do work in Haiti by an under-the-radar firm in Doral called CTU Security. It is run by a Venezuelan émigré, Antonio Enmanuel Intriago Valera.

Intriago’s CTU is formally registered as the Counter Terrorist Unit Federal Academy LLC, and was incorporated in Florida in 2019 under his name, and it has filed annual reports in the two successive years. It lists a member named Arcangel Pretel Ortiz, who had run a now-defunct security firm of his own called Taktical Consulting Corp.

Florida licensing records show Intriago is authorized by the state to provide security services and to carry a firearm. He has little other footprint in public records except for a detainer filed against him in 2011. He has several eviction complaints filed by landlords against his company over the years.

Intriago has a website that shows him as a wholesaler and retailer of security equipment.

“As a representative for big and important security and safety device manufacturers around the world our objective is to offer first-class personalized products and services to law enforcement and military units, as well as industrial customers,” the company says in its About Us section.

Known in Venezuelan expat circles in South Florida, Intriago would boast of his police background in the South American country. At times, said one who knew him but did not want to be identified in the widening story, Intriago claimed to have connections to or to have worked directly for U.S. agencies.

A person claiming to have known him back in Venezuela said Intriago worked out of a small Doral office, where he would boast of being a paid mercenary and a coordinator of special forces, but most people did not take those claims seriously.

The source, who demanded anonymity to speak freely, said that Intriago is also known for providing firearms, firearms parts, and military and police equipment such as bulletproof vests.

There is nothing in Intriago’s public footprint to indicate that he had either the money or the scope to train dozens of private soldiers to raid the private residence of the Haitian president and kill him.

What role Miami and Intriago played directly, or inadvertently, in the Haitian assassination will surely be investigated with the FBI. Haiti has asked for FBI help, in part because of the large number of businessmen and drug gangs that might have had an interest in getting rid of the president.

Miami and the Doral enclave have become sort of a Star Wars bar for would-be liberators and for-hire warriors.

A botched coup in May 2020 in Venezuela similarly involved for-hire security men in Florida and some of the plotting traced to the 12th fairway of the Red Course at the Doral resort.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

I keep waiting to be told that this was carried out by Trump or Trump adjacent people who think he is still president

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
hmmm.... seems to me like all these semi-independent contra mercenary organizations that the american government has for years cultivated on its soil for loving around in latin america, are starting to gently caress around on their own for fun and profit. i wonder if this is going to have more repercussions down the line... i mean i dont

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Doubt it. The CIA director visited Colombia and Venezuelan intelligence had heard rumblings about an assassination earlier this month and thought it was going to target Maduro.

https://orinocotribune.com/cia-director-arrives-in-colombia-to-lead-sensitive-security-mission-venezuela-on-alert/

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The Guardian is quoting opposition and other reports that suggest it may have been Moïse's own guards who killed him instead of the Colombians.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/10/doubts-raised-about-who-was-behind-the-assassination-of-haitis-president

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

u brexit ukip it posted:

The Guardian is quoting opposition and other reports that suggest it may have been Moïse's own guards who killed him instead of the Colombians.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/10/doubts-raised-about-who-was-behind-the-assassination-of-haitis-president

One group of armed men heading into the president's office, running into another group walking out, guns smoking, silently nodding to each other as they pass

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
I'm 100% on the "USA is probably behind shady poo poo in LA" train - my only reservation is that Moise was their guy in Haiti, and there doesn't seem to be a clear successor or benefit for the US to killing him. Maybe it'll become clearer later, when the dust settles.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

JosefStalinator posted:

I'm 100% on the "USA is probably behind shady poo poo in LA" train - my only reservation is that Moise was their guy in Haiti, and there doesn't seem to be a clear successor or benefit for the US to killing him. Maybe it'll become clearer later, when the dust settles.

he could've fallen out of favor very recently for reasons that haven't been made public/leaked yet

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Doctor Teeth posted:

he could've fallen out of favor very recently for reasons that haven't been made public/leaked yet

Biden's very public desire not to get involved runs against this theory.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
What about the US troops that arrived to re-instate the occupation? Also seems to go against Biden's "very public desire not to get involved"?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

What about the US troops that arrived to re-instate the occupation? Also seems to go against Biden's "very public desire not to get involved"?

Which troops would these be? The only thing the US has committed to at this point is sending a couple dozen suits to "investigate" what the gently caress is actually going on.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 12, 2021

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
WhiskeyWhiskers noted that the US condemning the assassination meant it was probably good, don't take them seriously.

Fuschia tude posted:

One group of armed men heading into the president's office, running into another group walking out, guns smoking, silently nodding to each other as they pass

Smokin' Aces 2: Haitian Boogaloo

Morrow fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jul 12, 2021

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Haiti (or more precisely, the government led by the Moise-appointed interim prime minister) has requested US troops, but afaict Biden has so far told them "lol nah".

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Haiti (or more precisely, the government led by the Moise-appointed interim prime minister) has requested US troops, but afaict Biden has so far told them "lol nah".

Well that just proves that the CIA is involved, doesn't it? Plausible double secret deniability and all that.

Seriously, if/when the US government decides to send in troops without the explicit consent and request of the appropriate Haitian authorities I'll be as angry as anyone else ITT. But not before then, OK?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Morrow posted:

WhiskeyWhiskers noted that the US condemning the assassination meant it was probably good, don't take them seriously.

Someone being facetious on the internet? People can do that?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Which troops would these be? The only thing the US has committed to at this point is sending a couple dozen suits to "investigate" what the gently caress is actually going on.

https://twitter.com/AcrossMediums/status/1413668771005300737

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

the new Resident Evil miniseries is about the US invading a Middle Eastern country to get a foothold for an invasion into China lol

checks out after the last animated one which was about an arms dealer unleashing bioweapons in America as revenge for the US drone striking his wedding

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

And she's already left Haiti according to another equally-credible Twitter rando:

https://twitter.com/P_F_Lherisson_/status/1414259051651899394

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I mean the next tweet in that thread then goes onto explain both reports are likely correct. Sorry that I was out of date.

https://twitter.com/P_F_Lherisson_/status/1414259055279943686

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Trying to fit an entire company of marines into an LCS would be like me fitting a whole-rear end baseball team into my Taurus, so I'd take that report with a grain of salt.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Trying to fit an entire company of marines into an LCS would be like me fitting a whole-rear end baseball team into my Taurus, so I'd take that report with a grain of salt.

Like trump, you have to take the report seriously, not littoraly.

E:, forgot which forum this was but I stand by the dumb pun.

shimmy shimmy fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 12, 2021

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

shimmy shimmy posted:

Try harder with your shallow puns, don't coast.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

shimmy shimmy posted:

E:, forgot which forum this was but I stand by the dumb pun.

You stole that pun from the China thread.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Silver2195 posted:

You stole that pun from the China thread.

Nah, this and the cspam version of this thread are the only two politics-y threads I read these days since they're low throughput enough to stay on top of, and I like hearing about it.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
boaters for trump about to try bay of pigs one more time

https://twitter.com/therealsmorlote/status/1414624308014551042

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
No. Don't. Stop. Come back.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Vasukhani posted:

boaters for trump about to try bay of pigs one more time

https://twitter.com/therealsmorlote/status/1414624308014551042

lol that should work really well

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

No. Don't. Stop. Come back.

kamala said don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
bet those mercs are upset about shooting their shot to kill the haitian pres instead of taking part in this