Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Hodgepodge posted:

you could probably draw a pretty big audience for mafioso+magic with a good script and a decent budget

Mafioso Magic is a good name for the show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/Variety/status/1414243345191276550

these are worldwide numbers btw literally a third of what captain marvel pulled in on paper black widow might actually lose money

even by variety standards this is a nakedly embarrassingly pro disney headline and the article is if anything worse because it doesnt mention projections or acknowledge just how pathetic these numbers look without the disney plus premiere addon

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

yeah my brain initially had to read "dazzling" as sarcasm because that is just pathetic.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Some Guy TT posted:

these are worldwide numbers btw literally a third of what captain marvel pulled in on paper black widow might actually lose money

even by variety standards this is a nakedly embarrassingly pro disney headline and the article is if anything worse because it doesnt mention projections or acknowledge just how pathetic these numbers look without the disney plus premiere addon

$80 million domestic. $78 million international. $60 million disney plus.

Largest box office since pandemic. It is a success.

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

Hodgepodge posted:

you could probably draw a pretty big audience for mafioso+magic with a good script and a decent budget

this is just Baccano, lad

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Hodgepodge posted:

The Dresden Files is a pretty fun series of books.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

$80 million domestic. $78 million international. $60 million disney plus.

Largest box office since pandemic. It is a success.

my mistake the numbers are laid out confusingly because the disney plus number is also international so this is more badly presented article than an inaccurate one

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

my mistake the numbers are laid out confusingly because the disney plus number is also international so this is more badly presented article than an inaccurate one

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

that is very rude i admitted i was wrong

next time im just going to double down then youll be sorry

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Some Guy TT posted:

Maybe this will motivate Disney to actually lower their budget on movies and actually bother to put effort hahahahaha nah they'll say it's a success

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
that box office is really underwhelming considering that covid is over. this is the new normal and movie theaters will die.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
The future of film is Blumhouse horror flicks

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
everything is open and people just dont feel comfortable at the movies. this result is great for disney, but theaters got boned.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

theaters can die as long as we get dune part 2

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

StashAugustine posted:

theaters can die as long as we get dune part 2

you wont. movie will flop. dune will never be appealing to anyone but nerds

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
The Red Guardian had “Karl” and “Marx” as knuckle tattoos.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

All glory to Disney!

All glory to the MOUSE!

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Judakel posted:

you wont. movie will flop. dune will never be appealing to anyone but nerds

The Matrix proved that there is an audience for psychedelic orgies

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Judakel posted:

that box office is really underwhelming considering that covid is over. this is the new normal and movie theaters will die.

The largest cinema chain in Norway has actually refused to show the movie because it's also on disney+.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i wonder if previous disney plus premieres actually did badly which is what everyone assumed or if they did about the same as black widow and disney only released the numbers this time because they were sick of the press saying their movies were bombing

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

lol if they ever had those numbers before, they would have been shouting from the rooftops

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Speaking as someone who has fenced for ~20 years, it's a sport with its own rules and quirks that doesn't really emulate the chaos of an actual fight. So is HEMA/WMA; for example, most of them ban the use of quarterstaves and other polearms, because too many people were getting their ribs broken, even through their armor. The "OP" build was banned, just like a video game.

As a byproduct of this, almost movie fight scenes are also terrible, because, unless you're into that kind of thing, real fights are pretty quick and boring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8LlI5lgWvg

I mean, it'd make a neat looping gif, and it's cool that he jumped, but, uh...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIK6ALz3cX0

Some of them can be interesting, but compared to, like, Bruce Lee whipping around a bunch of guys? Nah, it's not nearly as neat and fun.

The closest I've seen to a "real" sword fight on film is the ending of Rob Roy, but even that only works within a specific context and style of film. Real life fights are just too brutal and ugly to fit into most movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERmM5l2ceoY

To use a hyperbolic example, complaining that a movie fight scene isn't "realistic" is the same as complaining that Shakespeare's dialogue isn't "realistic". Yes, obviously people don't speak in iambic pentameter, and yes, it would be easier for the characters on stage to communicate with each other if they just said what they meant. Even regular dialogue in films almost never captures the real cadence and pacing of actual speech. For example, how often do you hear people talk over each other in real life, versus on film? Or struggle to find a word?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Some Guy TT posted:

i wonder if previous disney plus premieres actually did badly which is what everyone assumed or if they did about the same as black widow and disney only released the numbers this time because they were sick of the press saying their movies were bombing

they needed both a 'real' box office number to compare it to and also another blockbuster movie to beat in f9, which was a vastly superior movie to black widow but didnt make as much

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

yeah that genuinely surprises me it felt like f9 had been hyped for like months ahead of time while black widow was just oh uh this movie sure does exist shame we had to push it back due to the pandemic

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Speaking as someone who has fenced for ~20 years, it's a sport with its own rules and quirks that doesn't really emulate the chaos of an actual fight. So is HEMA/WMA; for example, most of them ban the use of quarterstaves and other polearms, because too many people were getting their ribs broken, even through their armor. The "OP" build was banned, just like a video game.

As a byproduct of this, almost movie fight scenes are also terrible, because, unless you're into that kind of thing, real fights are pretty quick and boring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8LlI5lgWvg

I mean, it'd make a neat looping gif, and it's cool that he jumped, but, uh...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIK6ALz3cX0

Some of them can be interesting, but compared to, like, Bruce Lee whipping around a bunch of guys? Nah, it's not nearly as neat and fun.

The closest I've seen to a "real" sword fight on film is the ending of Rob Roy, but even that only works within a specific context and style of film. Real life fights are just too brutal and ugly to fit into most movies.

To use a hyperbolic example, complaining that a movie fight scene isn't "realistic" is the same as complaining that Shakespeare's dialogue isn't "realistic". Yes, obviously people don't speak in iambic pentameter, and yes, it would be easier for the characters on stage to communicate with each other if they just said what they meant. Even regular dialogue in films almost never captures the real cadence and pacing of actual speech. For example, how often do you hear people talk over each other in real life, versus on film? Or struggle to find a word?

OTOH

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Some Guy TT posted:

yeah that genuinely surprises me it felt like f9 had been hyped for like months ahead of time while black widow was just oh uh this movie sure does exist shame we had to push it back due to the pandemic

too many people are cowards and are afraid to admit the fast series is awesome because theyre worried about being Judged so sheepishly buy a ticket to marvel slop instead

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 16:27 on Jul 12, 2021

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

No reason to watch fast and the furious when street car movies were perfected with Gone in 60 Seconds.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
fight scenes?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9rrgJXfLns

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
dont pay for movies

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Yes, this rules. Unless it's a Dragged Across Concrete style gritty and dark movie, I want dumb theatrical WWE style fights in my action movies.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
one of my favorite 'realistic' things from action movies is the montage in avengement where scott adkins repeatedly gets the poo poo kicked out of him, spends a while in the hospital, does some pushups, and then goes and fights again. so instead of him just shrugging off punches they just say hey he spent 3 years doing this

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Polanski's Macbeth does a pretty good job showing two dudes getting extremely tired fighting in armor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0waVOnG-PEw

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Speaking as someone who has fenced for ~20 years, it's a sport with its own rules and quirks that doesn't really emulate the chaos of an actual fight.

just lol if you're engaging in battle with anyone other than honorable gentlemen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2KWTEhyVX8
timestamp: 1:15 to 1:30, then 2:05 to 2:10

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

Polanski's Macbeth does a pretty good job showing two dudes getting extremely tired fighting in armor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0waVOnG-PEw

for a contemporary example i thought the one-on-one combat in The King was really well done

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Mr Hootington posted:

No reason to watch fast and the furious when street car movies were perfected with Gone in 60 Seconds.

this is like comparing Movie Of Train Coming At The Screen with Snowpiercer. yeah I guess they both involve locomotives

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds
Movies peaked with Train Arrives at Station

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
The end fight with ocelot in mgs4 is the most realistic movie fight

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Slamhound posted:

The Red Guardian had “Karl” and “Marx” as knuckle tattoos.

great way to incorporate critique into your profit model; introduce an ardent commie as the Useless Schlubby Dad superhero so lefties partial to Marvel have something to hinge a parasocial relationship on, but never has to win the plot and thus symbolically say "communism achieved this"

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

mandatory lesbian posted:

The end fight with ocelot in mgs4 is the most realistic movie fight

someone shifting fighting styles from when he was his own person , then to the fighting style of someone whose spirit took over his body after grafting that guy's on arm, because the original guy's dad was a medium?

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

GIRL BRAINS posted:

Movies peaked with Train Arrives at Station

Being that stories are theatre of the mind i think u will find the epic of gilgamesh to be the true height of cinema

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

I'm hearing reports that Rick and Morty is jumping the shark.