Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
If I remember correctly, Conor and Artem both ended up with six month medical suspensions due to the leg kicks they threw against Nate and Avila at 202.

That camp's just dogshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Also, let's not pretend that allowing egregious cheating is something specific to Herb, it's been par for the ufc forever

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Shirkelton posted:

If I remember correctly, Conor and Artem both ended up with six month medical suspensions due to the leg kicks they threw against Nate and Avila at 202.

That camp's just dogshit.

Kavanaugh, himself, seems like a very solid coach, but SBG as a whole seems actively detrimental.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

CarlCX posted:

Kavanaugh, himself, seems like a very solid coach,

Does he? Based on what?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BlindSite posted:

Herb copped a lot of criticism for late stoppages, probably shouldn't have stopped the paint can fight when he did now.

The conor grabbing the gloves thing I can kind of forgive a little because he probably would give him a warning between rounds.

If you're watching to see if hes staying concious while being blasted with elbows you're probably not paying 100% attention to glove grab.

in the interim, he allowed conor to stand up off of it. It was a fuckup

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Conor was going to get knocked unconscious again in the second round if he had made it there, the first one to shoot/look to grapple "like a dusty bitch" was Conor and his vaunted boxing was the second best in the octagon.

There's absolutely no need to see a fourth fight between these two. Conor is overmatched entirely.

connor finally getting legit knocked out will be great,

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Shirkelton posted:

Does he? Based on what?

When he's not attached to Conor's bullshit antics his breakdowns of fights are very clear and levelheaded, to the point that he's already done an interview breaking down where and how Conor hosed up and injured his leg by screwing up his own techniques, and before these godforsaken days Kavanagh was mostly known for being Gunnar Nelson's head coach and he did a bang-up job with him.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Zeta Acosta posted:

connor finally getting legit knocked out will be great,

He got legit knocked out in the second fight.

CarlCX posted:

When he's not attached to Conor's bullshit antics his breakdowns of fights are very clear and levelheaded, to the point that he's already done an interview breaking down where and how Conor hosed up and injured his leg by screwing up his own techniques, and before these godforsaken days Kavanagh was mostly known for being Gunnar Nelson's head coach and he did a bang-up job with him.

As part of that interview he said the fight was going well and he expected Conor to finish Dustin in the next round, he also said that Conor was defending well while on the floor, that's the furthest thing from an honest interpretation of that round you can get.

People bring this up a lot, but I can't name a single fighter Kavanagh's coached who has got better under his leadership, and outside of Conor, who seems to mostly be a product of himself and a few others, I can't think of a single SBG fighter who actually has a clear, coherent game that sets up their talents.

Nelson is the closest thing to a success story SBG has had outside of Conor and he doesn't train exclusively at SBG Ireland.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CarlCX posted:

His fighters mostly lose fights.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Shirkelton posted:

He got legit knocked out in the second fight.

i mean lights out knocked out.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Zeta Acosta posted:

i mean lights out knocked out.

So did I. He got sparked.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Kavanaugh thinks it was Dustin’s elbow block fo the front kick that broke the leg, so Conor might be the only person involved in the fight who thinks it was just a freak accident and had nothing to do with Poirier’s great defense.

Looking forward to hearing about how Conor would have used his foot like a flail in a street fight and Dustin was actually the one saved from further damage by the ref and doctor.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

At this point I'm fine saying Conor wasn't as good as his push and Aldo probably would smoke him in a rematch. But you only get a second chance if you're a golden draw.

sausage king of Chicago
Jun 13, 2001
eh, Connor is/was a pretty elite fighter and if he could make weight at 145 prob would have had that title for a while. are we at the point where Connor was always bad?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

We have no idea if Conor would have held the belt for a long time and never will, but I think he probably wouldn't have.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

TheKingslayer posted:

At this point I'm fine saying Conor wasn't as good as his push and Aldo probably would smoke him in a rematch. But you only get a second chance if you're a golden draw.

Considering all the leg attack troubles Conor has been having, it's crazy to think how different things could have gone with Aldo.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Shirkelton posted:

As part of that interview he said the fight was going well and he expected Conor to finish Dustin in the next round, he also said that Conor was defending well while on the floor, that's the furthest thing from an honest interpretation of that round you can get.

Dude's still a coach and his job is to unreasonably believe in his fighter, being able to do that while still saying 'here are the technique mistakes that broke his leg' is a step up in honesty from basically every MMA coach not named Trevor Wittman

Shirkelton posted:

People bring this up a lot, but I can't name a single fighter Kavanagh's coached who has got better under his leadership

I mean, Nelson DID train exclusively under Kavanagh and moved out of exclusivity when his success blew him up and Kavanagh got busier with SBG exploding, so you actually already named one, but otherwise, Amirkhani has grown pretty well under him and Brad Katona was looking good until he ran into the Merab wall.

CommonShore posted:

His fighters mostly lose fights.

I agree, hence my original point of

CarlCX posted:

Kavanaugh, himself, seems like a very solid coach, but SBG as a whole seems actively detrimental.

Kavanagh isn't Edmond, he does have some actual observable success outside of just Conor, but once your roster is bigger than five or six people just having a decent head coach isn't enough anymore and having a superstar blow up your camp is almost always going to make everything much worse. SBG is extremely clearly an environment that is not massively helpful to its fighters right now.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Conor is still and has always been a world class fighter, it's just that Khabib is legitimately a once in a generation talent and Porier is probably the best 155 lb fighter in the world right now.

His losses of note are to Nate Diaz, Dustin Porier and Khabib. That's not always bad territory, not even close.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

That sounded like an, "always bad" judgement and that wasn't it. Just the thought he wasn't necessarily a tippy top world beater guy.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

crepeface posted:

edit: oh yeah, he also has not really had to get used to roundhouse leg kicks because he mostly fights against orthodox fighters. he could get away with a long bladed stance, exposing the back of his legs because opponents would need to switch stance to kick there.

You can throw a lead roundhouse to a mirror stanced opponent without switching stance. It is something southpaws get a lot more practice doing on offense, but I as a southpaw never took it for granted that my front leg was safe from orthodox kickers. Conor's bladed stance is a range choice he makes against orthodox fighters.

TheKingslayer posted:

That sounded like an, "always bad" judgement and that wasn't it. Just the thought he wasn't necessarily a tippy top world beater guy.

I think if he'd never fought Nate at "155," he could have picked up some more highlight reel wins in a 145 title reign.
Going to 155 because he struggled to make 145 still exposed him to bigger and stronger fighters, namely the 3 who've beaten him in recent history.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jul 12, 2021

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BlindSite posted:

Conor is still and has always been a world class fighter, it's just that Khabib is legitimately a once in a generation talent and Porier is probably the best 155 lb fighter in the world right now.

His losses of note are to Nate Diaz, Dustin Porier and Khabib. That's not always bad territory, not even close.

His wins of note are non existent for five years now, though

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

kimbo305 posted:

You can throw a lead roundhouse to a mirror stanced opponent without switching stance. It is something southpaws get a lot more practice doing on offense, but I as a southpaw never took it for granted that my front leg was safe from orthodox kickers. Conor's bladed stance is a range choice he makes against orthodox fighters.

i've never seen a lead leg roundhouse in an open angle land with any kind of speed or power without a telegraphing stance switch/half step. is this a TKD thing? do you have any links

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Snowman_McK posted:

His wins of note are non existent for five years now, though

tends to happen when a world class fighter stops training outside of camps for specific fights and filling that time with cocaine

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Conor will always have that Aldo KO

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'll always be disappointed that Conor knocked Aldo out cold with the first punch instead of it being an actual nitty gritty fight. Aldo was a monster, and in another universe, that fight's a barnburner that Aldo could have definitely won.

Conor was legitimately great at his best and his performance against Alvarez was among the best performances in UFC history.

He's past his prime now and spent most of it chasing Mayweather, more money and trying to fight Pacquiao, who unless Pacquiao suddenly aged 30 years in the ring, Conor wouldn't seriously touch and would end up like Ricky Hatton in the centre of the ring. He's not "was always bad", by any means. He's just not elite anymore.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

crepeface posted:

i've never seen a lead leg roundhouse in an open angle land with any kind of speed or power without a telegraphing stance switch/half step. is this a TKD thing? do you have any links

You rock your upper body back as a counterweight and throw essentially a Brazilian kick from the ground. It's not gonna be as powerful as a kick with more windup or hip torsion, but it's more than enough to damage (or turn them around if they're only lifting their leg and not full-on checking)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVXv0nHE8N4&t=99s
That's same stance and to the body instead of to a mirror leg, but the body shift is the same.

Wonderboy teaches a karate version that emphasizes snapping the shin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV8gNR8qpes&t=308s

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
interesting. i feel like the mirror stance/open angle match up fucks up the range though (since you're leaning away) and basing off your back foot.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
My 2 fave Coach Kav brain genius moments are either:

1. Unprompted, he said MMA fighters should never throw a 1-2 combo

2. In an article talking to a ton of coaches, they were asked their biggest regrets. Kavanagh said he hates that when he was younger, he grappled with some big guys and hurt his back, so now it's harder for him to get on the floor to demonstrate technique. Otherwise, no complaints from ol' Johnny Kavs, tactics wise

Side note: Owen Roddy, the SBG striking guru, saying the team never prepared for/considered that Floyd would come forward in the Conor fight and that really threw them off is another gem that keeps rattling around in my noggin

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

One of the greatest boxers of all time being able to fight offensively? Sounds like bullshit to me tbh.

devilmonk
May 21, 2003

I’m not necessarily “impressed” by this, but what do you make of the difference between Conor’s reaction to the break as opposed to Silva and Weidman? Those guys were clearly in a different kind of pain, right? And they certainly couldn’t have done an interview with Joe in the cage. Conor was probably in shock I guess, and reverted to a primal rage/crazy person.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I'll always be disappointed that Conor knocked Aldo out cold with the first punch instead of it being an actual nitty gritty fight. Aldo was a monster, and in another universe, that fight's a barnburner that Aldo could have definitely won.

Conor was legitimately great at his best and his performance against Alvarez was among the best performances in UFC history.

He's past his prime now and spent most of it chasing Mayweather, more money and trying to fight Pacquiao, who unless Pacquiao suddenly aged 30 years in the ring, Conor wouldn't seriously touch and would end up like Ricky Hatton in the centre of the ring. He's not "was always bad", by any means. He's just not elite anymore.

Alvarez was also his only impressive performance north of featherweight. I think Conor is a world class striker, with some good/underrated defensive grappling augmented by blatant cheating, but I also think he benefitted greatly from a huge weight cut and being much bigger and rangier than his opponents during his meteoric rise. His decline obviously coincided with drug/legal problems and lack of serious training as you said and obviously those things also contributed to the end of his prime, but I think the size change had a big role as well and that gets overshadowed in the narrative these days.

sausage king of Chicago
Jun 13, 2001
yeah idk. adrenaline is some poo poo. see Jon Jones fight against Chael where he doesn't even realize his toe is pointing the wrong way until Rogan points it out in the post fight interview. or that one when Uriah Hall's fought Thiago Santos and his toe is hanging off the bone but he still fights.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

devilmonk posted:

I’m not necessarily “impressed” by this, but what do you make of the difference between Conor’s reaction to the break as opposed to Silva and Weidman? Those guys were clearly in a different kind of pain, right? And they certainly couldn’t have done an interview with Joe in the cage. Conor was probably in shock I guess, and reverted to a primal rage/crazy person.

Conor said on IG it was a clean break, so it seems like he had a much less serious injury than what Silva or Weidman had, but yeah interviewing a guy on the ground with a broken leg probably wasn’t the best idea.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Oh, Conor
https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/1413336731844157455

mewse
May 2, 2006

devilmonk posted:

Conor was probably in shock I guess, and reverted to a primal rage/crazy person.

The Conor MacGregor you know is gone. Only cocaine remains.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

I hope Jolie shows the DM and it’s just her calling Conor a dickhead.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

I didn't fact check any of this.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

This guy really belabors the point, but not much hard contact on the very last teep Conor threw:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK7xB0XDbmw&t=24s

Another theory has it as the round kick at 13s:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeAfdAhzggQ&t=6s

crepeface posted:

interesting. i feel like the mirror stance/open angle match up fucks up the range though (since you're leaning away) and basing off your back foot.

It is a completely different range, yes. Offensively (when your opponent is not moving toward you), their lead leg is the only easy target.
Either you throw a fast weak lead kick to it, or a really slow (since it has to swing almost 180deg) rear kick to the inside of the leg, the one that is begging for a straight counter.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 12, 2021

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

moctopus posted:

I didn't fact check any of this.

For each guy's last 2, yes, those are all losses

if you simply plot the last 6, chronologically, Conor's win vs Cowboy sneaks in because Nate fights so infrequently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

blue footed boobie posted:

I hope Jolie shows the DM and it’s just her calling Conor a dickhead.

It's from when she was trying to reach him about the money he promised to donate but then tried to back out of, and then had to be publicly shamed about it.