Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Apple are masters of spacing out tiers to convince us we need to buy the most expensive option every time.

It's infuriating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Aukey, Mpow and Ravpower were kicked off Amazon because they were paying for five star reviews.

Real shame, I loved all the Ravpower stuff, they made some of the best GaN chargers out there.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

FCKGW posted:

Aukey, Mpow and Ravpower were kicked off Amazon because they were paying for five star reviews.

Real shame, I loved all the Ravpower stuff, they made some of the best GaN chargers out there.

i assume basically every third party seller that isn’t just some nerd in a garage is doing this

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I bought a brick off Aukey? I think. The package had a card on how to get a $25 Amazon gift card for submitting a review. The directions were super sketchy but it worked.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Was it Anker and Aukey that are basically the same or are they all pretty much from the same factory with just the branding and support being different companies? At least Anker is still there.

It’s especially ironic given how shady amazon is with their amazon basics stuff always being pushed to the top.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not sure why ravpower felt obligated to cheat, they make good stuff. But I guess if everyone else is cheating you're gonna feel like you gotta keep up.

I have a handful of those "gift cards" in a drawer, the ones where you take a photo with your review and email it to them. BUT DON'T TELL AMAZON. :ssh: I intended to alert Amazon to it then just never did.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

Something else to consider is just saving the attachments and deleting the messages. A lot of that space is probably taken up by videos and pictures.
I'd be nice if that was just integrated into Photos automatically somehow, but can see the issues considering the crap people send over messages. I think iOS 15 might have something to help there though?

FCKGW posted:

Mpow is still around on AliExpress :v:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1986430

Looks like Aukey and Ravpower are still operating their own stores if you trust them with your payment info directly.

The projector I got for my birthday had a "free gift", which was a pain cause they kept asking for order number which I didn't have. Eventually they gave me a code for like all but a penny off or something and I got a crappy but functional little tripod out of it. Oh and the review had to be 5 stars of course. I had some complaints and they asked if I wanted to "test" other products, I just had to buy them, leave a review, and they'd PayPal back the cost. That was too sketchy for me (...and the crap was all like kitchen appliances that I already had), and well, they're gone now apparently. I know they survived the initial purge so no clue when they got wiped out.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Ah rats, I bought a vent clip mount in April and it is really good / was very cheap. The product listing gives a 404 now. It's always suspect when something has 10k or 20k reviews, and those cards were infuriating.

Idiots. I bet they got pretty rich for a while until this happened, so maybe they made enough money to retire and don't give a gently caress anymore. Fulfilled by Amazon is a Big Deal for the right players.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I basically stopped trusting amazon review scores. You hardly ever see anything below 4 stars, and I've bought plenty of stinkers with high ratings.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Fakespot is really good if you want a temperature check against your level of risk you're willing to take

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I liked the ones that were obvious cause all the reviews included something like "I received this product in exchange for an honest review".

For generic cheap stuff (like the car magsafe mount/charger I got) there's a lot with only a few reviews so just read through those and get what seems to be the cheapest identical product. Or find it on AliExpress for even less and wait a few weeks.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

japtor posted:

I'd be nice if that was just integrated into Photos automatically somehow, but can see the issues considering the crap people send over messages. I think iOS 15 might have something to help there though?

There’s nothing in iOS 15 right now that helps with downloading all your iMessage stuff as far as I can see. You can download groups of photos sent to you easily now but as far as all your stuff I don’t think so.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Rinkles posted:

I basically stopped trusting amazon review scores. You hardly ever see anything below 4 stars, and I've bought plenty of stinkers with high ratings.

I like Anker but I question whether they should get to keep reviews from an old revision of their product, like when they updated from the 18W to 20W GaN charger. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Also listings that have a bunch of different items listed as different styles -- you should be able to select the reviews for that "style".

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Charles posted:

I like Anker but I question whether they should get to keep reviews from an old revision of their product, like when they updated from the 18W to 20W GaN charger. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Also listings that have a bunch of different items listed as different styles -- you should be able to select the reviews for that "style".

You can but you have to click "See all reviews" and then drill down to the dropdown box

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

FCKGW posted:

You can but you have to click "See all reviews" and then drill down to the dropdown box

I know that works for multi item listings, but I think they're referring to listings that just replace products in place without creating a new item listing for it, so there's no separate "format" to filter reviews for.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

japtor posted:

I know that works for multi item listings, but I think they're referring to listings that just replace products in place without creating a new item listing for it, so there's no separate "format" to filter reviews for.

I actually was wondering about both things. OK, I hadn't seen they had added that filter, that's great. I don't think it was there before.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I vaguely remembered a feature where you would get a notification on your iPhone that your watch had finished charging. After Googling it, it seems to only be available if you turn on sleep tracking. Why is Apple so weird.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
File that alongside the nine-minute snooze timer and optimised charging generally, I guess. Maybe something about the specific intersection of sleep and charging is some kind of megaproblem for Apple's OS teams?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
When I wanted to buy a set of cheap wireless earbuds for the gym I got some anker ones but I ordered from them directly, it still came in amazon packaging. I've been avoiding using amazon for a while unless I really have to.

Also is the new iCloud+ stuff coming when iOS15 comes out? I'm still on the free account but all those extra features convinced me to want to actually pay now

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

track day bro! posted:

Also is the new iCloud+ stuff coming when iOS15 comes out? I'm still on the free account but all those extra features convinced me to want to actually pay now

What are these, if you don't mind?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Private Relay and Hide My Email are the names of the features. It’s all part of iCloud so even if you just pay the $0.99 for 50GB you get it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

track day bro! posted:

When I wanted to buy a set of cheap wireless earbuds for the gym I got some anker ones but I ordered from them directly, it still came in amazon packaging. I've been avoiding using amazon for a while unless I really have to.
Probably just easier/cheaper/faster than doing direct fulfillment themselves.

Rinkles posted:

Other than the privacy related ones above, there's also this one:

quote:

Custom email domain
Personalize your iCloud Mail address with a custom domain name, and invite family members to use the same domain with their iCloud Mail accounts.
Been on Gmail forever with a grandfathered account but tempted to move cause space eventually. Wonder if it'll gently caress with the rest of my Google stuff (docs and such) though.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

japtor posted:

Probably just easier/cheaper/faster than doing direct fulfillment themselves.

Other than the privacy related ones above, there's also this one:

Been on Gmail forever with a grandfathered account but tempted to move cause space eventually. Wonder if it'll gently caress with the rest of my Google stuff (docs and such) though.

I don't think the custom email domains feature is available yet, but once it is I might do it.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Skeezy posted:

I don't think the custom email domains feature is available yet, but once it is I might do it.

As soon as it comes out I’ll be migrating from Gmail too

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I can't help but wonder how many accounts you get on a custom domain though.

(I bought surname.com, and have my mother, father, brother, and sister-in-law on my Google Apps grandfathered account. Everyone pays for iCloud, but obviously they aren't in my iCloud family.)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I'm wondering about aliases cause I have a whole bunch set up for particular uses (or throwaway stuff).

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

PB seems extra buggy this go around. For 13 and 14 it was hardly noticeable. 15 makes my 11 pro’s camera unuseable half the time, pages and photos load weird in chrome, iOS lag doing simple things.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

meanolmrcloud posted:

PB seems extra buggy this go around. For 13 and 14 it was hardly noticeable. 15 makes my 11 pro’s camera unuseable half the time, pages and photos load weird in chrome, iOS lag doing simple things.

What’s PB?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Public beta.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Peanut butter.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Punk Buster

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Peanut Butter is the only thing that really makes sense.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

It's what made the boomers into boomers.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

MH Knights posted:

Punk Buster

Punky Brewster

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

President Biden

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Anyone ever have an issue where the volume of phone calls is super-low, but the regular speak volume for music/videos is just fine? It happened all of a sudden mid-call last week and has not fixed itself yet. I'm on an iphone 10. Ultimately, it's a work issued phone and I can just trade it in, but before I go through that hassle, I want to see if there might be a quick fix.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The phone has an internal mixer that sets the volume independently for several different cases.. like music playing, or the volume of siri when getting maps directions, or the volume of the phone.

Unfortunately the only way to adjust those volumes is when that audio source is actively playing audio, so you probably bumped the volume buttons while on a call. So to fix it you get on a call then turn the volume up.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Little Rock, AR rapper "Pepper Boy"

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

GoatSeeGuy posted:

It's what made the boomers into boomers.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

The phone has an internal mixer that sets the volume independently for several different cases.. like music playing, or the volume of siri when getting maps directions, or the volume of the phone.

Unfortunately the only way to adjust those volumes is when that audio source is actively playing audio, so you probably bumped the volume buttons while on a call. So to fix it you get on a call then turn the volume up.

Except the ringer volume which is in sounds and haptics in settings.