Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It took a whole while for the DS9 writers to get their heads around the idea that plots could just keep focusing on the space station and local Bajoran politics instead of doing the planet a day Star Trek formula. B5 had an idea of what it wanted to do from the start, but it did do a lot of treading water trying to establish things (and about half of the points it left to be picked up in the future ended up not being used).

Worf at least got the chance to beat up a lot of other Klingons on TNG. It's a little better than some of the other informed things about characters like Troy and Ryker's relationship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
You did that to hurt people, didn't you?

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010
Has anyone ever done a "Star Trek" DnD campaign?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

TheAceOfLungs posted:

How do you mean?

Star Trek but Set in DND? Pretty sure that exists.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Not specifically Star Trek and D&D, but I liked that one Knights of the Dinner Table comic where the crew (who normally plays D&D) says that they're tired of D&D, and want to change things up by playing a Sci-Fi game instead, and they end up filling their same archetypes just with the names changed out.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I've actually played a couple of Trek games back in the day. Mostly using the ancient FASA Star Trek rules that weren't great, actually. There's also a weird thing that happens when you introduce ranks into an RPG group that's used to everyone having an equal say in where to go next. It takes some getting used to, and some groups never handle it well at all. Unless you're very careful about which player you let outrank the others, you can run into some pretty serious quarterbacking issues.

Honestly, Star Wars makes for a better RPG setting...unless you go off script with Trek and make it about a bunch of renegades in the Triangle or something...but then I haven't found a SW game yet that didn't end up with Jedi supremacy being much worse than caster supremacy in D&D, since Jedi can be built to be the best combatants in the game AND the only casters. The only exceptions being Star Wars games where Jedi are banned (Rebellion era or Edge of the Empire scoundrel type games) or going full on All Jedi All the Time. But if you want a "D&D archetypes in a Sci-Fi universe" then Star Wars is probably the way to go. Hell if you go with some of the old d20 versions...I personally think Revised edition was the best one WotC put out...you're pretty much using D&D 3.5 with Star Wars layered on top!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

TheAceOfLungs posted:

Does Expedition to the Barrier Peaks count?

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

TheAceOfLungs posted:

Lasers & Feelings is designed to have Star Trek-style space adventures. There are probably quite a few games patterned after Star Trek.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Lasers and Feelings is genuinely a really good game. I was introduced to it through the Adventure Zone live show, and I fell in love immediately. How can you dislike a game where critical hits are called Laser Feelings?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

jng2058 posted:

I've actually played a couple of Trek games back in the day. Mostly using the ancient FASA Star Trek rules that weren't great, actually. There's also a weird thing that happens when you introduce ranks into an RPG group that's used to everyone having an equal say in where to go next. It takes some getting used to, and some groups never handle it well at all. Unless you're very careful about which player you let outrank the others, you can run into some pretty serious quarterbacking issues.

I mean it's rare that anyone in a Star Trek episode ever pulls rank. Kirk is in charge, sure, but that's easy to handwave. Just be casual about it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

XkyRauh posted:

Not specifically Star Trek and D&D, but I liked that one Knights of the Dinner Table comic where the crew (who normally plays D&D) says that they're tired of D&D, and want to change things up by playing a Sci-Fi game instead, and they end up filling their same archetypes just with the names changed out.

They get bored and go to the holodeck and play d and d

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Mystic Mongol posted:

It'd be neat if her build was both incredibly powerful and totally useless against the comic's main antagonist.

Wouldn't be the first time.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
You know, that doesn't make alot of sense. Why is a Lich really strong? It's just a skeleton.

With the phylactery and the regenning body, a Lich should be a Glass Cannon thing.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Johnny Aztec posted:

You know, that doesn't make alot of sense. Why is a Lich really strong? It's just a skeleton.

With the phylactery and the regenning body, a Lich should be a Glass Cannon thing.

I mean, it's a magically animated skeleton motivated by powerful enchantments. I imagine if you're a pre-lich planning your ascension ritual and the sales rep is like, "so, do you want the 100 horsepower skeletal grip or the 450 horsepower?", you as a power-mad arcanist are going to go for the latter.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Android Blues posted:

I mean, it's a magically animated skeleton motivated by powerful enchantments. I imagine if you're a pre-lich planning your ascension ritual and the sales rep is like, "so, do you want the 100 horsepower skeletal grip or the 450 horsepower?", you as a power-mad arcanist are going to go for the latter.

Makes sense, it's a wizard completely rebuilding his own body from the ground up. Big ole' tuneup.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Android Blues posted:

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Liches have the same strength (and dexterity) as when they were alive. They just gain +2 to all mental stats and no longer have a constitution score. Xykon being strong enough to crush V's windpipe with his bare phalanges is only related to him being a lich in that it's why his phalanges are bare.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I imagine its justified in a "now you can go past your limits" sort of thing. No more pain means nothing "hold him back" because there's nothing to get damaged by overexertion anymore.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
he probably has better physical stats than v because hes a epic level character with a bunch of powerful magic items

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

It's a fairly well known fact that a rigorous routine of constantly giving Wizards atomic wedgies builds tremendous core strength in Sorcerers.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015

jsoh posted:

he probably has better physical stats than v because hes a epic level character with a bunch of powerful magic items

This, he was doing smashing scenery onto V because he's thrown on a +6 item at least at some point. He may have had a better than average strength score in life - even a 20(14+6) is incredibly strong by real world standards. Being grappled by Roy could even suggest he'd go higher because if something stops him from just bamfing out of there he'd rpobably want ot be sure. Plus smashing thing with brute force is cool and Xykon is probably into that.

A Lich in an AMZ also loses his damage reduction, paralyzing touch, and fear aura. Because the magicless isn't scary anymore to those with 5HD or less.

So yeah, I'd put money on most of the order besides V being able to solo Xykon in an AMZ if he doesn't have contingencies(he probably does). Elan is a maybe if you consider the dashing swordsman stuff extraordinary or supernatural, or if being punned is mind affecting so Xykon would be immune to to the damage.

Anti-Magic Fight Club is the new alignment debate.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I recall Elan's puns not working on some characters, but I don't know if they're mind-affecting or if they just have to be able to hear/understand you to be hurt by them.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I recall Elan's puns not working on some characters, but I don't know if they're mind-affecting or if they just have to be able to hear/understand you to be hurt by them.

genuinely would be hilarious is if the perfect counter to elan is someone with a lower int stat

wheres thog, is thog still alive i liked him

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

NameHurtBrain posted:

This, he was doing smashing scenery onto V because he's thrown on a +6 item at least at some point. He may have had a better than average strength score in life - even a 20(14+6) is incredibly strong by real world standards.

A 20 would be a Demi-God. X wasn't just smashing scenery, but a large section of wall/boulder. So Way more than any human could lift by a fair amount.

Forget crushing a windpipe with bare hands, X could , literally, rip a person in half without the slightest bit of effort.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Thog is probably alive since we haven't seen the body

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

sebmojo posted:

Thog is probably alive since we haven't seen the body
No, he's dead and that fine. It's fine. All* of the linear guild is dead and it's fine.

*most

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Haven't seen anything with the IFCC and Sabina in a good while.

Sabina has her own agenda, I bet, with retrieving Nales soul before it 's turned into one of the blob things.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, the IFCC is almost definitely going to have something to do with the finale, since they seem to have a vested interest in seeing the gates destroyed.

Sabine, though, I could feasibly see that her (on-screen) part in the story is basically done. Aside from Nale, all that she has left to do is get bloody revenge on Tarquin, and it’s been made abundantly clear from his arc’s finale that Tarquin is almost definitely not going to be having any more influence on the comic.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Sabine is part of the IFCC though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah. And I suspect thog will probably spring out of nowhere, but who knows, roy has exhausted his nemesis status by beating him with architecture

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Without Nale in charge I don't see LG or its any former member having any reason to get involved again. If Thog lives he's probably adopted rescue puppies :3:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Nenonen posted:

Without Nale in charge I don't see LG or its any former member having any reason to get involved again. If Thog lives he's probably adopted rescue puppies :3:

Sabine seemed...not too happy with the current situation. I could see her getting the band back together for some sweet vengeance.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

AnoHito posted:

Sabine seemed...not too happy with the current situation. I could see her getting the band back together for some sweet vengeance.

Her personal grudge is against Tarquin who I think is out of the story. Her involvement with the OotS, Xykon and Snarl are all as employee of the three directors.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I think it's pretty likely that we see Sabine again, but I'd be very surprised to see anyone else from the Linear Guild.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
Any further relevance Sabine has to the story will likely be based in her work for the IFCC as part of their plans for the gate...but last time we heard about what she was up to, the IFCC three remarked that she was quite good at mixing her demon business with her private affairs. We don't know exactly what they've sent her to do, but if she can somehow make "hurting Tarquin or Laurin" part of the task she's been given, she'll certainly take the opportunity.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
For another example of Xykon's physical strength. He beat a more powerful Wizard then himself to death with a trophy.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
With the way Rich is I am putting Thog at an approximately 0% chance for coming back.

It is kinda funny that a lich isn't magic enough to stop working entirely in an AMZ.

sfwarlock posted:

"You call it the 'Trouser Titan'?!"

This made a lot more sense back when. Now in the world of unlimited cantrips, Mending and Prestidigitation should have this effect by themselves...

Why not? And this coming from a hobbyist archer of many years. STR determines whether you can draw the bow, DEX determines whether you can aim it. And since there's no rules for your arm tiring out...

To hit, sure, but damage?

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 13, 2021

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne
I felt for sure that we had confirmation Thog was alive, but his last mention was a bit inconclusive: https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0822.html
I reckon that he probably is still alive from the way Tarquin is talking here though.

I'm positive we'll see Thog again, though it might be as part of an epilogue / ending montage.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If Thog shows up, it'd be a total ridiculous nonsequiter, but that's also one of Thog's big bits, so I'd give it like 6 out of 10 odds. Hilgya already has other importance, so she'll probably show up again. Sabine had some kind of foreshadowing.

The rest of the linear guild...well a decent chunk are dead and can't show back up without schenanigans, but the rest...that half-elf and dwarf druid, they're not really important enough to register. Maybe the half-elf could be relevant if the plot revisits Roy's sister? Maybe Belkar could wind up friends with a kobold to show how far he's come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

But Belkar has to die.