Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Looks like Ornifex's gravestone will show up after 4 hours

http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/gravestones

This is useful to know, I had no idea about this mechanic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

Resurrecting NPCs or do you mean Ornifex's shop? You can still resurrect her, but looking at the wikidot wiki, it does look like there's an added issue I didn't see before about Ornifex not offering weaponsmithing services if she's killed in the Shaded Ruins.

http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/gravestones

Yeah, from what I gathered if she dies at the first spot, she can't be used as a merchant even with a gravestone. Which sucks.

I mean, I guess I'll just keep using my Heide knight sword then. Some people said they used it until the end of the game. (it's +7 at the moment)

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I got through everything with a caestus so yeah you should be good

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

TeaJay posted:

Yeah, from what I gathered if she dies at the first spot, she can't be used as a merchant even with a gravestone. Which sucks.

I mean, I guess I'll just keep using my Heide knight sword then. Some people said they used it until the end of the game. (it's +7 at the moment)

If you have a particular boss weapon you want, someone here might be able to drop it off for you at least?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

If you have a particular boss weapon you want, someone here might be able to drop it off for you at least?

How does that work then? I was mainly interested in the Defender greatsword.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010

TeaJay posted:

Your friend makes the sword and then you summon them, they drop it on the ground.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

TeaJay posted:

Someone in your soul memory range could be summoned and just drop a weapon for you out of their inventory. In some of the other games you have to make sure it hasn't been upgraded beyond the point you would see it, but DS2 doesn't have any barriers to that.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

can use vordts great hammer am loving life. gently caress DS2 :*(

Qmass fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 9, 2021

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

So I'm currently working my way through Dark Souls remastered and wondering about DS2.

In discussion of the series, I see a lot of people poo poo on Dark Souls 2. What do you guys think of the current state of Scholar of the First Sin in relation to the rest of the series?

I'm also not interested in the online aspect of the game very much, and was wondering if anyone knew of any graphical mods for the game besides that one currently in development that overhauls the lighting?

Dark Souls is currently flooring me and I'm very curious if I have another 200 hours of Souls games scratching the same itch to look forward to.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tosk posted:

In discussion of the series, I see a lot of people poo poo on Dark Souls 2. What do you guys think of the current state of Scholar of the First Sin in relation to the rest of the series?

It's a very good game that is different in multiple ways from its predecessor, something which ruffled a lot of feathers on release for people who were expecting something that remained more faithful to the original. I still think it has the best core gameplay and control out of the three Souls games and manages to hit a good midpoint in difficulty between DS1 and DS3. It's not gonna win any awards for graphical fidelity, but it has good art direction and a consistent aesthetic that helps to carry a lot of the technical shortcomings. At bare minimum, it's a game that's worth your time to play if you enjoyed the core gameplay loop of DS1.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Is there a comprehensive breakdown of the differences between SotFS and the base game? I only have and only have played the base DS2 game. I heard it generally increases the number of enemies around but that's all I really get.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Proletarian Mango posted:

Is there a comprehensive breakdown of the differences between SotFS and the base game? I only have and only have played the base DS2 game. I heard it generally increases the number of enemies around but that's all I really get.

There's too many changes to really condense it down, but, broadly speaking: enemy numbers were increased, and enemy layouts were frequently changed; more minibosses were added (Pursuer and the "Forlorn," a new black phantom type); Fragrant Branches of Yore and accompanying frozen statues were used to gate off more parts of the game world, requiring you to acquire Branches before completely unlocking every area; DLC keys were put into various areas of the world and require manual acquisition; and the Ember was moved into Lost Bastille after the first Pursuer encounter, allowing much earlier access to infusions.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I feel like the "more enemies" thing is not exactly inaccurate, but slightly misleading. There are absolutely areas where they infamously went overboard with the copy and paste, but then there's other areas that have fewer enemies because they cleaned up the enemy layouts. Or cases where an area was originally barren, bordering on unfinished and so they went back and added more to it. Scholar has a reputation of being a wacky second playhrough-only romhack version of 2 and I think that's going way too far, even if it can feel like that sometimes.

A very nice change is that more NPC summons were added across the board, including a lot of small sign ones to help with some of the nastier areas. IIRC, there's a number of tweaks to item placement that help open up certain playstyles faster.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Tosk posted:

So I'm currently working my way through Dark Souls remastered and wondering about DS2.

I'm also not interested in the online aspect of the game very much, and was wondering if anyone knew of any graphical mods for the game besides that one currently in development that overhauls the lighting?

Dark Souls is currently flooring me and I'm very curious if I have another 200 hours of Souls games scratching the same itch to look forward to.

Regarding the visuals: the in-work lighting mod is the only big one, I think. Scholar has an upgraded lighting engine but it's still not going to look as good as DS3 or anything.

If you want MORE SOULS, Dark Souls 2 will work fine. It's not a perfect sequel where every lesson learned from making 1 was applied to making a near-universally better game (that's Bloodborne, where the DS1 team moved to after they finished the Artorias of the Abyss DLC.) But it's definitely better after successive patches and the Scholar of the First Sin release. That might sound kind of lukewarm, but I think it's enjoyable and fun to look at for what it does well and what it fails at. If you're having reservations about it, well, it goes on sale a ton at steep discounts. It's certainly worth trying out to see what you think. It's not a game so bad it needed to be sealed in a lead coffin and never spoken of again like DMC 2.

I feel like DS2's base game has some uneven and rushed spots after it had a long development hell. It never sinks to the sub-basement lows of Lost Izalith or the boss there, but a few middle sections are stitched together and don't look too impressive. A lot of the middle-to-late base game bosses are also pretty easy because they obviously didn't have a lot of time to polish them. The DLCs a good though, and honestly while the game is technically longer, you'll probably cruise through the base game pretty fast. If you like Dark Souls and want more Dark Souls, you can't go wrong with DS2, DS3 and Demon's Souls, etc. before you inevitably have to start getting your fix from third party Soulslikes.

Make sure to level your Adaptability stat, they anchored your dodge roll i-frames to it in DS2, via the Agility sub-stat. If you're going to be dipping into spells, Attunement also increases Agility a bit.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I didn't get into dark souls until scholar came out so once I beat ds1 I went straight to scholar and thought it was great. Be sure to level adaptability though.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Make sure to level your Adaptability stat, they anchored your dodge roll i-frames to it in DS2, via the Agility sub-stat. If you're going to be dipping into spells, Attunement also increases Agility a bit.

As someone just starting a DS2 run for the first time this week, and just coming off DS3, I'd recommend getting Agility up to about 90 pretty quickly. I hadn't realised the i-frame stuff up there, and combat was feeling unfair - rolling didn't seem to work, chugging estus seemed to take forever and enemy's hit boxes seemed hugely bugged.

Normally, I'd level VIT and STAM first in a Souls game, but I feel having the familiar combat timings is more important.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Nuns with Guns posted:

It's not a game so bad it needed to be sealed in a lead coffin

That'd just change the nature of its being!

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Thanks for the advice. I will return once I have made it to Drangleic.

I had heard that the hate on Dark Souls 2 was also because people consider it has inferior lore/worldbuilding to the other Souls, but I couldn't resist going through all of Vaati's videos on youtube (worth a look if anyone isn't aware of them and likes Dark Souls lore) and the concepts I've seen there seem quite interesting to me. Scholar of the First Sin and all of the DLC seem to add a lot lore-wise though, are they what bring the game up to speed?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

The lore and world building is just as weirdly different to the first game as basically everything else so it's not everybody's cup of tea. Scholar of the First Sin certainly cleared up some question marks but I, personally, liked all of that stuff in the base game. The NPCs have some really great characterisation and their backstories are interesting - Navlaan as a character and the mechanics of what can happen there is loving great. The voice acting is the best it's been in the series IMO (Titchy Gren is creepy as gently caress.)

The story with the royalty and the war and all of that was more compelling to me than the first game but I think that might have been in large part to your ability to interact with the people/events involved directly. It has a different flavour to "everything's been hosed for longer than anybody can remember and everybody involved is now without speech" which some people like and others don't.

In the end I think I'm just a sucker for (story spoilers but you've probably spoiled yourself already) time travel stories.

None of the above really has anything to do with what gets added in SotFS or the DLC before that...

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Akuma posted:

The voice acting is the best it's been in the series IMO (Titchy Gren is creepy as gently caress.)

It's perfectly creepy and also his natural speaking voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMrQlgR2m1s

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Tosk posted:

Thanks for the advice. I will return once I have made it to Drangleic.

I had heard that the hate on Dark Souls 2 was also because people consider it has inferior lore/worldbuilding to the other Souls, but I couldn't resist going through all of Vaati's videos on youtube (worth a look if anyone isn't aware of them and likes Dark Souls lore) and the concepts I've seen there seem quite interesting to me. Scholar of the First Sin and all of the DLC seem to add a lot lore-wise though, are they what bring the game up to speed?

The worldbuilding thing is a moving goalpost. People used to complain about the places where it makes obvious references or points to things from DS1, then DS3 came along, pulled out the tanned hide of DS1 and started dancing around in it. Now people complain about how the bits that aren't tied to DS1 lore are "shallow" in some vague terms, if they complain at all (they're not any shallower than the added stuff from DS3.) There are a couple instances where you get the impression they were kind of justifying linking together some disassociated parts in-game quickly because they were rushed, but they're not that bad.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Once it sinks in just how bullshit this challenge really is :stare:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zD7rBcgduw

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
Honestly my main issue with the DS2 lore is that it hews too closely to DS1 in places but I think it's solid enough. (You can imagine how I feel about DS3 from Nun's post.) There's some interesting stories in the DLCs as well that add on or elaborate on the stuff in the main game.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
DS2's only truly unforgiveable crime was not having Patches

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

The Miracle nerf shows us he was there in spirit.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Double Plus Undead posted:

Honestly my main issue with the DS2 lore is that it hews too closely to DS1 in places but I think it's solid enough. (You can imagine how I feel about DS3 from Nun's post.) There's some interesting stories in the DLCs as well that add on or elaborate on the stuff in the main game.

To be fair though, I don't think either 2 or 3 are doing like a bad job in their use of DS1's lore or setting. They're both sequels about getting navel-gazey on the nature of sequels and they're both commenting in different ways on impossible expectations to a follow up of Dark Souls.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Pate's better. :colbert:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Akuma posted:

Pate's better. :colbert:

I do love the Pate/Creighton storyline, but I would have liked to see Patches somewhere. Even if only referenced in an item description or gesture or something

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The Berzerker posted:

Yeah, I try to never pop an effigy and just small soapstone my way back to human. I started a new character the other day and have done Dragonrider, Last Giant, Pursuer, Flexile Sentry and Ruin Sentinels so far, playing around with different spears since I've never really done a two handed spear run in this game before. It has been pretty active on the summoning front! I'm playing through always in human state.

Going back in the thread, I wish I'd known this when I started! I would've saved so many human effigies ...

Just got in Drangleic and had some fun co-op there, helped a few people kill the LK knight and got him killed myself too.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Qmass posted:

I think I hosed up starting a new DS3 character while wasting time on DLC and delaying finishing DS2. The combat is SO much more my speed in DS3. The iron king DLC really loving pissed me off in the end. Fume was a good fight but nothing in BB, DS3 or sekiro comes close to as anti-player as the corpse runs to sir alonne and blue smelter.

its been enjoyable overall but it really seems to me that this game was dated when it came out and I don't have the glasses to forgive it

Those runs are tedious as hell, but I don't think they're even the worst ones in DS2, I hated the run to the Rotten way more than either of those.

quote:

edit: ok nevermind. I just got to burnt ivory king and... lol gently caress this game I managed to get to the boss but with the loving range on that sword plus constantly spewing out guys I dunno how anyone does this

I beat Ivory King and Sir Alonne pretty much the same way, they have very similar move sets with massive tells so you can just get in their face, circle around them, and hit them when they swing at you. If a scrub like me could beat them, anyone can.

GodFish posted:

I've had a lot of problems with a lot of things in dark souls games but I've never once had any trouble with the run to Alonne, it baffling to me. Just run past the enemies??

Plus, if you die enough times, the enemies pretty much all disappear!

Nuns with Guns posted:

Definitely this, DS2 is my least favorite souls game thus far (I haven't played DS3 yet) but I think I would have enjoyed it a lot more had I known this before I got halfway through the DLCs. As it was it just felt like they made player actions more lethargic as a gently caress-you.

raditts fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 12, 2021

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

raditts posted:

Those runs are tedious as hell, but I don't think they're even the worst ones in DS2, I hated the run to the Rotten way more than either of those.
What

It's like just round the corner from the bonfire. The poison can be annoying though.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Akuma posted:

What

It's like just round the corner from the bonfire. The poison can be annoying though.

well yeah, the poison is the reason. I never had much trouble running to cool ranch smelty even with those assholes who slow you down just holding up + run button with a couple rolls, but getting poison bukkake'd and randomly getting stumbled by one of them long enough for one of those hand monsters to eat you fuckin sucked. Having to fight 3 NPC invaders in the midst of all that was no fun either.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

the run from the hidden black gulch bonfire to the rotten is like twenty meters long with eight poison statues and two graboids, how the hell is that even in the same ballpark as the iron passage run

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

raditts posted:

well yeah, the poison is the reason. I never had much trouble running to cool ranch smelty even with those assholes who slow you down just holding up + run button with a couple rolls, but getting poison bukkake'd and randomly getting stumbled by one of them long enough for one of those hand monsters to eat you fuckin sucked. Having to fight 3 NPC invaders in the midst of all that was no fun either.

It sounds like you missed a bonfire. The one closest to the rotten has no hand monsters between it and the boss and only a few statues.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Shrine of Amana a good contender for the most annoying zone in the game so far. I left so much stuff in there because I was getting anxious just getting to the boss and not venturing anywhere from the path due to drowning a few times already.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

TeaJay posted:

Shrine of Amana a good contender for the most annoying zone in the game so far. I left so much stuff in there because I was getting anxious just getting to the boss and not venturing anywhere from the path due to drowning a few times already.

It used to be worse which is funny because Iron Keep used to be better. Kinda for the same reasons.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

release version of shrine of amana with perfect heat-seeking magic murder missiles was the superior version dont @ me

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

If there were ever a place to snipe mobs to death with a bow, Shrine of Amana is it. Fill everything with arrows, sweep the area for loot.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Tbh just run and serpentine. The tracking on the soul arrows isn't that bad. Sniping in dark souls is anti fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Nuns with Guns posted:

The worldbuilding thing is a moving goalpost. People used to complain about the places where it makes obvious references or points to things from DS1, then DS3 came along, pulled out the tanned hide of DS1 and started dancing around in it. Now people complain about how the bits that aren't tied to DS1 lore are "shallow" in some vague terms, if they complain at all (they're not any shallower than the added stuff from DS3.) There are a couple instances where you get the impression they were kind of justifying linking together some disassociated parts in-game quickly because they were rushed, but they're not that bad.

DS2 is chockablock with random unimportant lore that connects to nothing and goes nowhere. (Of course, spoiler, DS1 is guilty of the same thing to some degree, but it gets a pass because DS1 always gets a pass.) All of its most impactful poo poo is by way of direct thematic concepts and mood, which tends to fly right over the heads of people can only absorb things by mashing disparate puzzle pieces together.

I binged Vaati's videos not that long ago and they're not universally awful or anything, but he's definitely prone to going way off-base and just making poo poo up. Usually by failing at reading comprehension.