Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I'm curious if it's any good, I liked Ars Paradoxica enough that I'd give it a try.

Too bad about it being Spotify only, given how much their app sucks for podcasts, but whatever, I can do a limited series there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I don't think it's Spotify only because this is how she sent it to me

https://overcast.fm/+wR2OByJi4

But I googled it and that was the first result it gave me to link

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Oh nice, it didn't come up on a search for me and google only gave me the Spotify link for some reason.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Azathoth posted:

Oh nice, it didn't come up on a search for me and google only gave me the Spotify link for some reason.

Right it was weird, there should have been an iTunes link first I would think

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Azathoth posted:

Too bad about it being Spotify only, given how much their app sucks for podcasts, but whatever, I can do a limited series there.

Does it? Apple podcasts mucked with their interface recently and I hate it. Spotify seems better for binging podcasts that are already complete.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Jurgan posted:

Does it? Apple podcasts mucked with their interface recently and I hate it. Spotify seems better for binging podcasts that are already complete.

Dunno about Apple but as someone who doesn't already subscribe to Spotify, little things like notifying me when there's a new episode are apparently not critical features.

That's not a problem for something like Joe Rogan and the like who pump out so many new episodes that you can basically be assured there's a new episode all the time, but for fiction podcasts that update infrequently and often have long hiatuses, it's functionally useless.

Yeah it works fine for binging an already complete podcast, but that's like the bare minimum that any app can do (maybe Apple doesn't clear this bar, dunno). But try using to keep up on multiple podcasts with different update schedules and it's an exercise in frustration.

I use it because I like Last Podcast on the Left, and I've given it a try for a couple other exclusive podcasts, but it's bad enough that if something's a Spotify exclusive, I'm just not gonna try it anymore.

Maybe that's not the case if I was already paying Spotify but you'd think that if they can afford to give Rogan a billion, they could set aside a little more to make their app not an absolute garbage fire for podcasts.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I use Pocketcasts because I'm a weirdo with an Android phone and iPod for my car and it syncs between devices. It's not the best but it's a helluva lot better than the google podcast

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I've been using pocketcasts for years now, back before it was a free app, and it's been perfect for me.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Azathoth posted:

Yeah it works fine for binging an already complete podcast, but that's like the bare minimum that any app can do (maybe Apple doesn't clear this bar, dunno).

Maybe I'm just dumb, but on my phone Apple always plays in reverse chronological order, which is the opposite of what you want for something serialized. And since they're newest update, it keeps downloading old episodes of things I've already heard and insisting they're new.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Jurgan posted:

Maybe I'm just dumb, but on my phone Apple always plays in reverse chronological order, which is the opposite of what you want for something serialized. And since they're newest update, it keeps downloading old episodes of things I've already heard and insisting they're new.

There's an option you have to set per podcast to play oldest to newest, I don't remember where it is but it exists

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I use Podcast Addict b/c it was what first came up when I typed "podcast" into the google play store. Works well for me.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Arrhythmia posted:

I use Podcast Addict b/c it was what first came up when I typed "podcast" into the google play store. Works well for me.

Yeah, I've been using Podcast Addict for years as well and I've never had a reason to switch.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

https://twitter.com/arsPARADOXICA/status/1412894054459744257?s=20

so yeah someone stole the last episode and the republished it with their own ad revenue on it

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Len posted:

https://twitter.com/arsPARADOXICA/status/1412894054459744257?s=20

so yeah someone stole the last episode and the republished it with their own ad revenue on it

:how:

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
that's amazingly lovely. I wonder if it's a common thing. There's actually a bit of anchor dot fm ad direction on the pre-roll. Just totally lazy.

I definitely recommend Brimstone Valley Mall. It's mostly goofy mallrat fun reminiscent of the late 1900s. It has some extremely "Invader Zim" energy that I like.

https://mobile.twitter.com/bvmpod?lang=en

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Also listen to Archive 81 you cowards

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

boo_radley posted:

the late 1900s

Bro you can't talk about a decade I lived in like you're describing a period of the Roman empire.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

boo_radley posted:

I want more Static Man

I'm not sure if I can get my other half into it, she doesn't vibe with horror stuff as much as i do so season 1 might be hard for her to get through before it gets to the good stuff

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I am sure that they're basically devoting all their time and attention to the TV series, but I really do hope we get more of the story at some point. They teased a new project on Twitter back at the end of May, but that wording would make me think a whole new podcast or other project, not a continuation.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

boo_radley posted:

I definitely recommend Brimstone Valley Mall. It's mostly goofy mallrat fun reminiscent of the late 1900s. It has some extremely "Invader Zim" energy that I like.

https://mobile.twitter.com/bvmpod?lang=en
Oooh this looks good, thanks!

boo_radley posted:

:same:

Also listen to The Silt Verses you heretics

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

So is Terry Miles and Nic Silver the same person? Nic seems like a fictional character but in Black Tapes credits they list them separately.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Yeah, it's very stupid.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
They're "cousins". Identical "cousins".

Also, remember how Meerkatnip used to get paid in loving Bitcoin? Bitch must be a millionaire by now!

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Meerkatnip being paid 1/10000000 of a piece of Bitcoin

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I just got caught up on the silt verses and it's good but i can't take the second detective's voice seriously. He sounds like a 13-year-olds idea of a super badass.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

New Rabbits is on if somebody is interested

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Trepidation.....

I know Nic Silver has been continuing with his podcasting, has there been any appreciable changes in quality?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

HIJK posted:

Trepidation.....

I know Nic Silver has been continuing with his podcasting, has there been any appreciable changes in quality?

I was stunned at this question. I had to go back and recap three previous episodes to even attempt to answer it. Then I had an exchange with another character where I repeated everything they said to me but with a question mark on the end. Buy bombas socks.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

I was stunned at this question. I had to go back and recap three previous episodes to even attempt to answer it. Then I had an exchange with another character where I repeated everything they said to me but with a question mark on the end. Buy bombas socks.

You had an exchange with another character where you repeated everything they said to you but with a question mark on the end?

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Droyer posted:

I just got caught up on the silt verses and it's good but i can't take the second detective's voice seriously. He sounds like a 13-year-olds idea of a super badass.

Totally agree, I hate it but I'm assuming that it has to do with the tongue/lying God thing. Like it's changing him or it's the voice of the God. Idk if that's close because I haven't listened to the latest episode but that's what I figured would be the reveal.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Maybe I'm giving them too much credit, but I kinda thought that him sounding like a kid's idea of a hard boiled detective was kinda the point. He's so deep into his god that it has warped him into a caricature, just like a lot of the other true devotees that we occasionally run across.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Azathoth posted:

Maybe I'm giving them too much credit, but I kinda thought that him sounding like a kid's idea of a hard boiled detective was kinda the point. He's so deep into his god that it has warped him into a caricature, just like a lot of the other true devotees that we occasionally run across.

:hmmyes:

Speaking of, was the last episode of Silt Verses the final one?

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Arrhythmia posted:

:hmmyes:

Speaking of, was the last episode of Silt Verses the final one?

Based entirely on the episode naming scheme: no.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

BrainParasite posted:

Are you referring to the use of "S1" or is there something I'm missing?

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

BrainParasite posted:

Yeah based on that there are at least three more episodes to finish the hymn

Azathoth posted:

Are you referring to the use of "S1" or is there something I'm missing?
Read the titles of the episodes from the beginning and you'll notice a pattern

vortmax fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 14, 2021

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

vortmax posted:

Yeah based on that there are at least three more episodes to finish the hymn

Read the titles of the episodes from the beginning and you'll notice a pattern

I feel like an idiot for not catching that.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Azathoth posted:

It's okay, the Trawler Man still will accept your sacrifice

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Azathoth posted:

Same. I was just like "oh, what wacky episode titles! :v:"

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Spoiler for end of Silt Verses

so according to the transcript, Paige was attempting to ask a border guard why the barricade was down (because of Faulkner) and as she approaches, Sid gives his sermon of "sleep" and the guard passes out, forever.

I think we're just getting started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

its not an easy thing to understand