Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I can't really take China seriously as a global power until they've spent 20 years fighting a war in the Middle East they can't win predicated on faulty or outright fabricated intelligence in order to benefit a handful of wealthy elites at the cost of untold misery for millions.

Maybe they finally have that chance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

I can't really take China seriously as a global power until they've spent 20 years fighting a war in the Middle East they can't win predicated on faulty or outright fabricated intelligence in order to benefit a handful of wealthy elites at the cost of untold misery for millions.

Maybe they finally have that chance!

You're not a real empire until you've invaded afghanistan.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If China really wants to reclaim ancient glory they need to stick their dicks into more hornet's nests. It's been a while since Korea rinsed them so badly the dynasty collapsed.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I finally got a chance to watch,

LimburgLimbo posted:

The Chinese govt's own Daily Show looking very solid and not at all disturbing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU7m9IZV1Dw

And

Gutcruncher posted:

I didn’t believe the China lab leak thing but this video has me 100% convinced it’s fact now

Wtf is that video??

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Xun posted:

Yeah I agree on the targeting thing, that's why I was thinking about supernatural because the later seasons they were aiming for basically the same demographic. And while supernatural started 15 years ago it only ended last year, so I think it's fair to compare the most recent seasons at least. Sadly I can't say much for newer shows like Riverdale because I don't have a netflix account, which is why I'm watching low budget shows on YouTube in the first place :v:

I'm also really suprised that there are so many media producers run by young people in China, I feel like I rarely almost every show has a bunch of olds in the executive producer seats in the US. I'd thought if anything china would have even more old people in charge of media projects.

technically prc literacy rate went from <50% to 97% over the years but literacy at a high level for old peeps is a complete joke, and strong ageism dominates.

writer went to nyu and came back from america lol

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
also have a substack w crazy poo poo on it

https://chaoyang.substack.com/p/ep2-nisu-luo-xiang

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPaieGyMUfY

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

The Lone Badger posted:

You're not a real empire until you've invaded afghanistan.

Somewhere in beijing no doubt there is some dude arguing that afghanistan has trillions of yuan of mineral wealth. inshallah no one listens to him

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Xun posted:

Yes, these are actors being paid to act. Someone already mentioned that the Chinese actors tend to distance themselves LGBTQ stuff outside of their jobs. But at worst somebody ordered the actors and crew to pretend to support the gay pairing and they did it despite the fact that they know they might piss off the government. In contrast, in Supernatural someone ordered the actors and crew to stfu and then pulled the rug out from under the gay pairing despite no real government or other pressure as far as I can tell? And Dean's actor was actively unwilling to even give a generic noncommital response towards fans, much less stand around and flirt with Castiels actor outside of the set. I dunno, I guess it's interesting that both these shows kinda end up at the same place where they play with the idea of two men being romantic partners, but seem to come at it from different directions. The Word of honor crew plays up the gayness when they really don't need to while the Supernatural crew downplays or ignores it when they...really don't need to.

And this isn't just in these two shows! I said western because there was also a big drama about Sherlock doing something similar to Supernatural where after seasons of hints and fanbaiting it came to nothing. Despite the big effort post I don't actually watch that many danmei/yaoi/whatever shows but I know for a fact that the government is currently refusing to let Immortality release because it's too gay. I also watched a few episodes of a hilariously low budget animated show called Scumbag system which has so little budget it looks like a bad videogame cutscene, but the animators took the effort to animate a guy checking out another guy's butt in the background.

It makes me wonder what the actual difference is here, why are the Chinese shows so willing to push the envelope? These are all adaptations of popular novels so the fangirls are gona watch it and buy merch or whatever as long are the dudes are pretty, they know the government won't allow the show to actually portray romance between two men. There are also a metric fuckton of these shows, I swear youtube recommends me a new one every day after I finished Word of Honor. Is it just that these productions are run by younger and more progressive people? Does the fact that these shows are almost universally low budget, especially compared to American shows, mean that there's only a lot because there's a lower barrier to entry in the first place?

the thing with Supernatural and the actors denying anything gay was that unintended fanbase Stink Billyums mentioned was also voraciously into shipping the main characters together, who are brothers. And then having a small but vocal fan element that actually thought the actors playing the two brothers were gay themselves, at one point even harassing their wives because they were 'an obvious cover' or something and preventing them from being together. So yes, they are going to be very standoffish to fans randomly coming up to them and barraging them with questions about the character's sexuality or possible relationships with other characters, because they've already been doing that for a decade+ to the point of actually harassing their families because of it.

What happened with the weird rushed ending could honestly be chocked up to bad writing as much as anything else. The show was not well written and I've heard the ending itself was a wet fart because it rushed through everything to resolve too many plot threads all at once.

But for the most part, bad examples aside, I would deffo say your impression that Chinese shows are willing to push the envelope is more to do with your lack of knowledge about popular media in the west than anything. Just in the last couple years there's been like,
-Schitt's Creek which one of the main cast was pan and had an entire series spanning arc about meeting his boyfriend, getting proposed to, and then having a full onscreen wedding
-Brooklyn 99, the chief character was openly gay and in a loving relationship with his husband
-American Horror Stories had multiple... story seasons (it's an anthology show, every season is a different thing) with gay/lesbian characters
-multiple cartoons featuring major characters involved in gay relationships (Steven Universe, Adventure Time, the She-Ra reboot, etc)

And those are just general interest shows - and none of those are even that unpopular! Schiit's Creek took home an Emmy last year for best comedy! There's multiple queer specific shows out there too like Pose, The L Word sequel, etc etc where they're solely about a bunch of queer people, being very queer.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
American TV has had same sex kissing on primetime television for what must be two decades now. It doesn't happen every episode of every show, but it's there. I can't imagine that on Chinese state approved programming.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

BBC posted:

The foreigners in China’s disinformation drive https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-57780023

A few self-owns from the Barrett’s and Mr Lightfoot. They are probably making a lot more money than they would otherwise.

'Never been paid to go on a trip', just an all expenses paid trip with chaperone service.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
I can imagine how it happens.

You have some random bumblefuck channel about life in China and baozi and tree-covered limestone karst hills, when suddenly something you said is construed as negative, and you're given a choice: get deported from your newly established life, or start on the path that leads to... where they are now.

The sensible response to this whole situation is to not say stuff on popular media.
Sometimes sharing my not-particularly-extreme, frequently-ambiguous opinions on these dead gay subscription-only comedy forums makes me a little nervous, but then I remember just how dead and gay they are.

Anyway, yeah, the only winning move is not to play.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Meanwhile China launching a large "Summer of Code" project to match Google, plenty of interesting stuff.

https://summer.iscas.ac.cn/#/org/projectlist?lang=en

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

How the gently caress is being a literal genocide denier in the year 2021 worth a 24 hour probation? How the gently caress is poo poo like this allowed on the site?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

That's our genesplicer!

You are absolutely correct. I did the 24 hour probation as a placeholder. We often do that. It shuts up the person in question while it gives the Admins time to activate greater probations, like bans or 30 probes. However in this case, I wanted to discuss with other mods whether a ban, 30 days, or both was the most appropriate. We often discuss stuff like this. In this case I dropped the ball, as I did not do the discussion part. That was likely due to the fact that the neighbor's dog chased a stray cat into my yard and mortally injured it. After dealing with a dying cat and cleaning up, I had forgotten about posting the discussion. I'm glad that the other mods caught my error.

I'm sorry I failed to live up to your expectations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

don't worry we still love you old man

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
i for one cannot wait for the most ambitious crossover since africa...

will the khyber pass become the shenzhen of guns?? what will the taliban think of xinjiang? the bin ladens vist beijing???

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
mods change my name to bin ladens in beijing

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
also lgbtq talk: years ago i remmeber reading about how china actually has state sponsored mtf sex change surgery, like you legit had hoops to jump through with psych evals and being diagnosed like you were sick. by the sound of it you pretty much had to go all the way to be legally identified as female. but hey free is free, though not sure if it's still like that these days

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Booty Pageant posted:

also lgbtq talk: years ago i remmeber reading about how china actually has state sponsored mtf sex change surgery, like you legit had hoops to jump through with psych evals and being diagnosed like you were sick. by the sound of it you pretty much had to go all the way to be legally identified as female. but hey free is free, though not sure if it's still like that these days

Are you sure you're not confusing China with Iran? I know Iran does some limited support post-gender reassignment surgery since the 90s and requires hoops to be jumped through for MTF reassignment surgery but i haven't heard of this in China

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Genesplicer posted:

That was likely due to the fact that the neighbor's dog chased a stray cat into my yard and mortally injured it. After dealing with a dying cat and cleaning up, I had forgotten about posting the discussion. I'm glad that the other mods caught my error.

Oh no, that is horrible :(

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Don Gato posted:

Are you sure you're not confusing China with Iran? I know Iran does some limited support post-gender reassignment surgery since the 90s and requires hoops to be jumped through for MTF reassignment surgery but i haven't heard of this in China

It's a thing. I've met trans people out here.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
irans is much more surprising what with the theocracy thing

an old buddy of khomeinei turned out to be mtf, basically had a big ol theological discussion w the dude and convinced him that god was cool w it

they stone to death homosexual peeps tho ofc

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 12, 2021

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The fascinating thing with religious cultures is that occasionally the religious part wins through and they do something other than the most cynical self serving thing on the table as presented to them by an overpaid game theory creeper. 50:50 as to whether God is telling them to burn or save the orphanage however.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Forceholy posted:

It's a thing. I've met trans people out here.

Interesting, got any good sources? English or Chinese, doesn't matter.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Things are not good in Iran.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29832690
The gay people pushed to change their gender

Iran is one of a handful of countries where homosexual acts are punishable by death. Clerics do, however accept the idea that a person may be trapped in a body of the wrong sex. So homosexuals can be pushed into having gender reassignment surgery - and to avoid it many flee the country.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Oh no, that is horrible :(

It wasn't pleasant. Luckily it was over fairly quickly. loving dog. loving neighbor who won't do anything about their loving dog.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Persia doesn’t really do genocide but holy hell does the Iranian regime murder the gently caress out of anyone who isn’t a Shiite or who has the wrong sexuality or political persuasion. They also hate America, the great satan, and like to bully their neighbors . Really it’s no wonder that the governments of China and Iran have such a rosy relationship.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Gotta wonder what C-SPAM thinks of them, then.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Well, they hate America, therefore they can do no wrong.

Oh wait, they're a theocracy and don't give lip service to communism. Therefore are bad.

This post brought to you by the CIA

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Headsup: the following post is depressing af

bob dobbs is dead posted:

irans is much more surprising what with the theocracy thing

an old buddy of khomeinei turned out to be mtf, basically had a big ol theological discussion w the dude and convinced him that god was cool w it

they stone to death homosexual peeps tho ofc

Iran's sex change surgery situation is not remotely something to consider good or healthy or admirable. It's one of the most abjectly depressing things and the tldr is that it's a thing because homosexuality has been officially regarded as a sign that a person is transgender and that if they are compelled into having a sex change they can live without being in a state of sin essentially. Obviously this is not at all how homosexuality works and is a loving horrific misunderstanding of how gender identity works, too.

This of course leads to non-trans queer people getting very strongly pressured into having sex changes and informally functions as a way of sterilizing queer people. The long term outcomes for non-trans people having sex change surgeries is, uh, every bit as horrific as you would expect and you basically end up with people experiencing the full range of gender dysphoria and everything that entails.

Strategic Tea posted:

The fascinating thing with religious cultures is that occasionally the religious part wins through and they do something other than the most cynical self serving thing on the table as presented to them by an overpaid game theory creeper. 50:50 as to whether God is telling them to burn or save the orphanage however.

It's emphatically not this at all, unfortunately.

peanut posted:

Things are not good in Iran.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29832690
The gay people pushed to change their gender

Iran is one of a handful of countries where homosexual acts are punishable by death. Clerics do, however accept the idea that a person may be trapped in a body of the wrong sex. So homosexuals can be pushed into having gender reassignment surgery - and to avoid it many flee the country.

Yeah it's this. There are a couple of good documentaries on it, too, though they are absolute emotional gut punches.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jul 13, 2021

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
not to interrupt iranian politics chat but i have important opinions to share on something:

la zi ji/chicken with chilis/chongqing chicken/whatever the gently caress you want to call it is better without the bone shards. soz but its just true.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

My two food rules:
1. Everything is better without bone shards.
2. Beans are NOT a dessert. (Jellybeans are an exception.)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I thought Korea was a magical wonderful place when I realized there was a chocolate stuffed fish shaped fried donut vendor on every corner.

Then I ate one.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
it's a common mistake to eat food that's only intended for posting photos online

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Aardvark! posted:

not to interrupt iranian politics chat but i have important opinions to share on something:

la zi ji/chicken with chilis/chongqing chicken/whatever the gently caress you want to call it is better without the bone shards. soz but its just true.

In my own personal tragedy, the place I always got it from here in california got a new chef and it hasn't been the same since.

I think they went out of business soon after.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

the local sichuanese place (which for a long time was the only non-canto place in town) got a new chef this year and it turned into absolute garbage :/

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
personally I'll take my boneshards on the side so I can add them in to get the consistency I like

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Azuki bean paste is a great filling and taiyaki/its Korean equivalent are delicious. I assure you that even without Instagram this food from the early 20th century would remain popular. Not sure why this is controversial other than that you have indelibly categorized beans as a non-dessert food, in which case I suggest cognitive behavioral therapy

Kevin DuBrow fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 13, 2021

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I would eat a billion sesame balls. Beans can be in dessert, end of story. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Genesplicer posted:

That was likely due to the fact that the neighbor's dog chased a stray cat into my yard and mortally injured it. After dealing with a dying cat and cleaning up, I had forgotten about posting the discussion.

:stare:

Yeah I don't blame you for forgetting about a GBS thread after something like this.