Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Femtosecond posted:

(words)

I mean I'd rather have a 64% than a 40% return, but I guess the core thing is whether a beta of 1.81 matches your risk profile?

Beating the S&P in a bull year via high beta is nothing to be ashamed of, but, yeah it helps to be aware that's what's going on.

There are ETFs with billions of dollars in AUM with that exact strategy. Here's one:
https://www.invesco.com/us/financial-products/etfs/product-detail?audienceType=Institutional&ticker=SPHB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

also before someone else beats me to it, I want to add that the beta of your portfolio is not equal to the weighted beta of its components. but I got your drift and it's probably a reasonable first approximation.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i think this is one of those situations where you really need a really long time series to truly judge whether or not you have a winning strategy. reading some of william bernstein's books, he discusses some funds that beat the s&p for many years from the early to mid 80's into the mid 90's, only to stumble so badly in the course of a year or two that it brought average annual returns for the fund below the market returns for the same period

which i guess is just a long winded way for me to say that past performance is no guarantee of future results

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

past performance is no guarantee of future results

new thread title

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
So how much control does ASTS have over pricing? Sales are fully on the partner carriers. Revenues are split and they have projections for pricing in various regions but what's keeping, e.g., TMobile from offering space phone roaming as a loss leader and everybody else follows suit? They must have some discretion because pricing varies at the country level at least.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

past performance is no guarantee of future results

thank god

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Not sure. Considering that the telecom operators are in charge of sales, marketing, billing, etc, I assume not much. That said, ASTS has hundreds of patents that will prevent (or at least delay) other satellite operators from offering what they do. And if they keep making their partnerships exclusive (like Rakuten in Japan), who knows how long it'll be before the other carrier would have a competitive product to challenge/offer space roaming as a loss leader

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i think this is one of those situations where you really need a really long time series to truly judge whether or not you have a winning strategy. reading some of william bernstein's books, he discusses some funds that beat the s&p for many years from the early to mid 80's into the mid 90's, only to stumble so badly in the course of a year or two that it brought average annual returns for the fund below the market returns for the same period

which i guess is just a long winded way for me to say that past performance is no guarantee of future results

It's very reasonable to assume no single strategy will be effective all the time. What works in a recession may not work during a stagnant or growth period, and neither strategy might work in a hypervolitile environment. At the end of the day you should probably have several strategies and understand what conditions to use them in.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
ASTS looks interesting from a product point of view but the realization doesn't look that easy.
This in particular looks very challenging to achieve, not a lot of details in the patent but they hope to achieve this with electromagnetic coils. And then you have to add on top of this communications between all these guys. Looks fun to work on I guess, expect delays on the engineering for sure.

quote:

The small satellites can be positioned approximately a few centimeters to approximately 20 meters apart from each other
It should be noted that the remote satellites 302 can be moved and positioned in any suitable manner. In one embodiment shown in FIGS . 2 ( a ) , 2 ( b ) , the remote satellites 302 and central satellite 200 are provided with electromagnetic coils 314 and magnetorquers 316 to move the remote satellites 302 .
The onboard computer or processing device 306 computes the required maneuvers to maintain a predetermined or dynamically - determined desired ( which can be variable or random ) distance x and angle y for the remote satellite 302 with respect the other remote satellites 302 and with respect to the central satellite 200. It does this by comparing the relative position of the remote satellite 302 with the other remote satellites 302 and with the central satellite 200 . The electromagnetic coils 314 generate electromagnetic forces to gain movement by changing the relative distance between the remote satellite 302 and other remote satellites 302 or between the remote satellite 302 and the central satellite 200 .

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
LOL at SPCE doing a new stock offering to crush its price right after a successful flight.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

https://www.airwaveadvisors.com/blog/how-much-does-a-cell-tower-cost/

I am guessing that it would be considerably cheaper than that to build a tower in the phase 1 regions vs. San Diego or whatever.

Phase 1 costs $500 million and will cover equatorial regions, they expect to charge $2/month (ASTS keeps half) on average for that region. When you go top down (1.6 billion people in the coverage region! 550 million without broadband cell service!) it looks really good, I'm just iffy on how many of those 550 million are really potential customers, because it really doesn't cost that much to build a tower. I mean if you figure $100,000 to build a tower, a village in Cambodia with 20,000 people and 1 cell phone for every 5 people at $2/month a tower would pay for itself in a year. That's not a high bar to clear. So my guess is there's no tower there because there aren't any cell phones because people are too poor. If it's just that all of these people are too rural then that's another thing and looks good for ASTS.

I'm probably going to throw some money at this just trying to think it through.
But for that little village a tower using starlink as backhaul and powered by solar will be just as useful and cost almost nothing as SpaceX doesn't have any marginal cost at all to service the dish.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Why do SPY calls just print money?

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Because stocks only go up?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

Got it-thanks!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

If the current thread title wasn't nearly perfect, I'd say this is title bait.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Warmachine posted:

It's very reasonable to assume no single strategy will be effective all the time. What works in a recession may not work during a stagnant or growth period, and neither strategy might work in a hypervolitile environment. At the end of the day you should probably have several strategies and understand what conditions to use them in.
Absolutely. There have been some distinct periods in the market that have been unusually profitable for me. Each time, conditions eventually changed that took those opportunities away.

Some examples:

1) 2017 crypto boom. Two setups that I learned that worked very well were oversold reversals (basically, buying dips after extreme selloffs and selling on the huge 10-20% bounces that would come pretty consistently), and breakouts. After ~March 2018, these setups stopped working as often, and even when they did, they didn't get as much follow through. There were a lot of fake breakouts, in particular. Volatility also began to drop off and I gradually drew my account down to zero. Paid off student loans, bought an apartment, and funded my first stock trading account

2) Canadian marijuana stock boom. The run-up to legalization in canada was a huge opportunity in 2018. but as soon as canada actually passed legalization, profit taking began and basically the same thing that happened to crypto happened in this sector. The setups stopped working as often, there were more fakeouts (for the setups I liked to trade), and my profitability dropped off

3) Covid crash. this was a huge opportunity, as volatility was sky high, there were strong intraday trends, and the big gaps up and down on SPY/QQQ were providing really good opportunities after the open. I switched to trading ES and NQ futures almost exclusively, with some CL futures sprinkled in (for a few weeks there were some really good trades right at the pit close at 2:30). Long and short opportunities everywhere. But again, after the first couple months, the market started to bounce, and the way I'd traded futures in february and march stopped working as well in April/May. I went into my worst slump of my short trading career during the summer of 2020 before becoming consistently profitable again in august.

After each of these periods I have slumps where I'm either making a lot less money, or I'm drawing down. If I start drawing down, I wire money out of my account until i can get back to consistent profitability. It's a bit of a hit to the ego, but it's a lot better than giving everything back.

I began to notice after the covid crash that toward the ends of these 'boom periods' in my trading, I'll start to have more volatility in my P/L, both intraday and day-to-day. I'll start to make more mistakes, get looser with risk management, etc. That needs to be something that I pay attention to more so I hopefully I can take steps to stop the slumps before they happen. Maybe I need to take a break from trading, or cut my account size/trading size down.

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 12, 2021

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

nwin posted:

Why do SPY calls just print money?

I don't wanna jinx myself but I am curious who are writing all the spy calls that have to almost always lose money for the writer. I guess they could be CC's but I can't imagine doing it myself.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

cr0y posted:

I don't wanna jinx myself but I am curious who are writing all the spy calls that have to almost always lose money for the writer. I guess they could be CC's but I can't imagine doing it myself.

Market makers selling calls are generally constructing the trade such that they're delta neutral by buying the underlying stock. This is also part of why expiration days are weird, as the options roll off they also have to unload the other parts of the trade.

This is also why heavy call buying can force the price of the underlying up through a gamma squeeze.

hydrocarbonenema
Mar 4, 2017

Fun Shoe

cr0y posted:

There is probably some money in selling volume way OTM if you’re careful

That being said I’m thinking a sell the news week with the big earnings coming out, but we will see and I have my stops set in case I’m wrong.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

Market makers selling calls are generally constructing the trade such that they're delta neutral by buying the underlying stock. This is also part of why expiration days are weird, as the options roll off they also have to unload the other parts of the trade.

This is also why heavy call buying can force the price of the underlying up through a gamma squeeze.

Ohh ok that makes sense, I was never able to wrap my head around how a gamma squeeze worked but that explains it well.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

hydrocarbonenema posted:

There is probably some money in selling volume way OTM if you’re careful

That being said I’m thinking a sell the news week with the big earnings coming out, but we will see and I have my stops set in case I’m wrong.

My head is mulling over this kind of play on CLF with earnings next week. Calls now, ride the rumor up to next Wed maybe, then cash out and wait for earnings. After earnings, short/long at the next relevant trading signal. The risk is losing the difference between the pre-earnings take profit and the post earnings buy if the market reacts to the earnings call by going up.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
ASTS just got a price target of $29 from Barclay's.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!
get hosed
https://twitter.com/Guruleaks1/status/1414592645259792384?s=09

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Lucira going to the stratosphere, congrats to anyone who got in on those cheap $10 calls with me after the Microsoft announcecment

I'm taking my 250% gains so watch it go up 5,000% now

Holy guacamole

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Holy guacamole

Well timed!

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Lmao, have been wondering when this would happen. That guy blatantly front runs his followers.

Apparently he used to be at Raging Bull (who got slapped hard by the FTC a while back) before he started Warrior Trading

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
I watched a video of his where he was trading and he claimed to have scalped something like 40,000 shares and made 8,000 on a 20 cent price movement in about 5 seconds. How he traded something like 1/3 of all the volume on that bar without getting a cent of slippage he did not bother to explain.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

I’ve seen people claim that they went through the time and sales on stocks he said he traded with a certain large number of shares, and couldn’t find his trades. No idea if it’s true

Bottom line, anyone who runs a chat room that exclusively focuses on low float/small cap stocks and notifies their chat of their trades in real time should be regarded with suspicion.

There are some traders who are members of his room explicitly for the purpose of shorting the backside of their pumps.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
DIS finally got its poo poo together, which, as far as I can tell, is because Black Widow had a good weekend.

Uranium 235 posted:

There are some traders who are members of his room explicitly for the purpose of shorting the backside of their pumps.

Look, if anyone wants to pump NUWE so I can get my $50 back, great

Edit: OH I read that as this room

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I placed a limit order on $GOON for $2.01, so, you're welcome for that somehow being the lava to avoid today.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
Watching a penny stock I like go up and NOT selling because I'm holding out for a bigger payoff is really nerve wracking! Got back everything that AHT lost me at least, here's hoping for further developments.

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 12, 2021

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
almost time to reload goon$ to the moon, and by the moon I mean two fifty

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

My wife and I have been sitting on State Auto stock for years because she refused to sell it - her dad worked there, she inherited the stock, and the amount was fairly low so I didn't push back too hard even though seeing the drat thing constantly down 50% since it hit our account irritated me.

Today it was announced they're merging with Liberty Mutual and the stock went up 191%.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

and you’ll always know your father in law beat you at investing from the grave

/joking

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

pmchem posted:

and you’ll always know your father in law beat you at investing from the grave

/joking

He'd have sold it years ago :v:.

But yeah, he was better at investing than me, and I'm ok with it. What he and my MiL left my wife has turbo-charged our retirement savings.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Ornamented Death posted:

My wife and I have been sitting on State Auto stock for years because she refused to sell it - her dad worked there, she inherited the stock, and the amount was fairly low so I didn't push back too hard even though seeing the drat thing constantly down 50% since it hit our account irritated me.

Today it was announced they're merging with Liberty Mutual and the stock went up 191%.
well i guess she's going to have to sell it now. liberty mutual isn't publicly traded. not exactly sure how that all works but you'll need to look into it

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Since this is the unofficial oat milk thread, I've been putting oat milk in my coffee for weeks and it's been incredible, but I just now put sugar free oat milk on Cheerios and it kicked up my post-gym snacking 1000%

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Since this is the unofficial oat milk thread, I've been putting oat milk in my coffee for weeks and it's been incredible, but I just now put sugar free oat milk on Cheerios and it kicked up my post-gym snacking 1000%
Oat milk with pressed oat circles, an essential part of a complete oat breakfast

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Milk is for babies, oat milk is for bosses.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Martman posted:

Oat milk with pressed oat circles, an essential part of a complete oat breakfast

These loops of ancient grain have me seeing demons in the corner of my eye, and my house seems larger inside than it is on the outside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Did you eat your Cheerios in Benadryl this morning? You appear to be suffering demonic themed delusions.