Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Lid posted:

For similar reasons, political instability in North Caucasus regions like the Chechen Republic have probably also played a role. As noted trainer Mike Winkeljohn explained recently, he wasn’t sure what to make of it the first time he cornered Chechen fighter [Adlan] Amagov for a UFC bout. In the locker room before the fight, Amagov was so relaxed he looked nearly catatonic, Winkeljohn told MMAjunkie.

“I asked if he was always like this before a fight, if this was normal for him,” Winkeljohn said. “He said [via a translator], ‘I lived in a tent for seven years with Russians shooting at us from helicopters. In the cage, it’s just a man.’

That sounds like adaptation to violence. The fighter I'm thinking of wasn't directly traumatized but much of her extended family from her parent's generation and up was murdered by the Khmer Rouge. So it's possible that some of the adaptation was transferred to her from her parents.

I'd also note that sports have rules, rituals, a clear idea of when the violence will start and stop and if you get to injured or simply lose, the fight ends. If you adapted to a chaotic and violent environment then combat sports are generally an improvement. It's a step downwards in intensity.

The process of adapting to violence and its aftereffects loving suck and it is 100% not something to be envied. But if someone's 10/10 in terms of trauma and terror and you're at a 3/10 in the same situation because you've seen and/or done dirt that your opponent hasn't, you have an advantage that they lack.

That said, I generally don't like watching the kind of sports filled with people like this. If sumo were more brutal than it is I wouldn't watch it. But it scratches a nice itch for a combat sports in a new way that I like.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jul 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
It's all about comfort zones at the end of the day. I grew up on the bogside in the 70s and 80s, and now pretty much only my mother in law scares me nowadays.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Lid posted:

Nope, look at the traps of literally everyone in Hakuho's heya.

fair enough :v: and yeah considering the training regimens aren't famous for weightlifting you have to imagine those gains come from something. Japanese pro wrestling is also fairly rife with a little bit of steroids, just as a treat, so I suppose it's not a stretch to imagine sumo going down the same path.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

harperdc posted:

fair enough :v: and yeah considering the training regimens aren't famous for weightlifting you have to imagine those gains come from something. Japanese pro wrestling is also fairly rife with a little bit of steroids, just as a treat, so I suppose it's not a stretch to imagine sumo going down the same path.

A fair lot of them do lift.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Terunofuji does a shitload of heavy weight lifting, including 600kg leg presses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaTjkX_vHbY

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Hell yeah

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones

harperdc posted:

Chiyonofuji pioneered weightlifting in sumo, I believe.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Um :actually: I think you’ll find they’re nothing more than really fat men in diapers :smug:

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Long-Time Lurker posted:

IIRC, he had a lot of early career shoulder issues, apparently throwing 300lb guys repeatedly causes some stress. The fix was to hit the weights since he wasn’t a large man.

Terunofuji came out and said his knees cant take daily training anymore, but he hasn’t missed a day of lifting since his comeback.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Long-Time Lurker posted:

Yea even if you are on the juice you gotta put in the work. Man he was loving jacked beyond belief though

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Hakuho is the GOAT, no question, but Chiyonofuji will always be the raddest yokozuka.

Ice Phisherman posted:

You also have the fighter whose mind isn't occupied. Who has no anxiety. Who doesn't vomit. Who doesn't think about running away. I've heard of one of my favorite amateur fighters that can even take a nap before a fight.

These people are incredibly rare but they do exist. The kind of person who doesn't have that pent up energy before a fight, negative or positive. A person who just is and then when the bell rings they come out swinging. The lack of nerves is a serious advantage and I rightly fear and respect the kind of person who can be calm under pressure like that.

I feel like Takayasu has a bit of this. Immediately before and after a bout he looks half asleep, but if you pause during the initial charge he looks completely insane. It was one of the first things I liked about him.

Kachi-koshi are coming in! Okay so far it's just Teru and Hak, but we're moving into the second week, so there are gonna be more soon.

Day 8 standings:

Makuuchi

code:
29	bartolimu
28	Kenning
27	captainblastum
27	jmzero
27	Lid
27	Skjorte
26	Beeswax
26	Everyones Favorite Poster
26	GoatSeeGuy
25	Dias
25	MalarkeyToboggan
25	ratmosphere
25	Teddybear
25	whats for dinner
24	Banana Canada
24	Maigius
24	MyChemicalImbalance
24	pseudodragon
24	scripterror
23	Brut
23	Fluffdaddy
23	Ice Phisherman
23	Marching Powder
23	Pakled
23	Tiny Bug Child
23	Tochiazuma
23	Vargatron
22	Biosys
22	Khizan
21.5	Scythe
21	anakha
21	Charles Gnarwin
21	Helianthus Annuus
21	Neodoomium
21	Shiroc
21	sivad
21	Thauros
20.5	Cage Kicker
20	bessantj
20	Chinook
20	Crusty Nutsack
20	Jobbo_Fett
20	Liquid Communism
20	QuasiQuack
18	Robviously
Juryo

code:
25	TwoWordName
24	KungFu Grip
22	Bellwether
22	Communist Thoughts
22	Halloween Jack
22	LlamaTrauma
22	rare Magic card l00k
21.5	Netsky
21	Eli949
21	Martytoof
18	Log082
18	NuclearPotato
15	ilmucche
13	Foehammer007
12	Glugglugs
In makuuchi you've got bartolimu leading, followed by me, Kenning, and then a pack of chasers in 3rd. Hoshoryu, Kiribayama, Ichiyamamoto, and Mitakeumi seem to be common in the arasoi leaders. While the bottom isn't as much of a blowout as last time, Robviously appears hampered by Daiesho and Daiamami, as well as Wakatakakage taking the traditional komusubi drubbing in the first week.

Down in juryo newcomers TwoWordName and KungFu Grip are battling it out. This one appears to be largely a battle of Mitakeumi vs. Ishiura, which should favor TwoWordName with Mitakeumi, especially since KungFu Grip traded away Myogiryu for Tamawashi for Day 8. That was a good trade, but we'll see if it's enough to keep them in contention.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Some lovely bouts today, Hoshoryu once again bringing his stylish skillset along. He's quickly becoming one of my favorite rikishi to watch. Every basho he improves noticeably.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Just Kyokutenho, Asashoryu and Kotooshu having chanko nabe.

Tobizaru slapping Snorlax was clearly not the smartest decision of his life.

anakha fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jul 12, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Next time I say "I'm sticking with the guys I got" remind me how badly it's turning out for me right now.

Martytoof posted:

YES

I got Wakatakakage, Tobizaru, AOIYAMA, AND Chiyomaru!!This is dream team poo poo right here.

I mean, I'm still technically correct inasmuch as nightmares are a TYPE of dream :|

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Honestly, this time around I'm so excited by Terunofuji's yokozuna run and the Hakuho comeback run that I find myself hard-pressed to care much about my team's lackluster performance. When I wake up in the morning I don't check to see how my guys did, I check to see if the Kaiju and the GOAT are still undefeated.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

I feel like I could've chosen my picks a little better/been a bit more aggressive with my cuts, but goddammit, I like Tobizaru and Wakatakakage, so I wanted and still want to stick with them, even as they spiral into make-koshi range.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

god drat it, wakatakakage

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Speaking of swole sumo, university star and current undefeated rikishi Ishizaki has been hitting the gym.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

bessantj posted:

Speaking of swole sumo, university star and current undefeated rikishi Ishizaki has been hitting the gym.

How often does a rikishi down in Sandanme/Makushita go double zensho-yusho, cause he's well on his way, drat.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Archenteron posted:

How often does a rikishi down in Sandanme/Makushita go double zensho-yusho, cause he's well on his way, drat.

Sandanme 7-0 followed by Makushita 7-0, basically the only recent one was Yutakayama (at the time fighting under his real name).

Makushita 7-0 followed by Makushita 7-0, Abi just now and Tochinoshin when he was coming back from his big injury, and then before that...Matsutani? Oh, Shohozan.

Here's a list of all occurrences of back to back 7-0 scores across all ranks, only 105 results and the first 4 don't even really count because they're weird records from the 1700s and 1800s with draws and stuff in them.

What you really are looking for is this list of all triple back to back 7-0 scores, this has happened 13 times. If you expand that list to 4 tournaments, you get no results, if Hokuseiho wins 2 more matches he will be the first to accomplish the feat.

Brut fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 12, 2021

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

If you do jonidan/sandanme

We have Hokuseiho of course and before that Ura and in 2017 thread favourite Enho.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I just finished watching Day 7. Tobizaru's plan against Hakuho was perfect. The problem was that "keep your distance and use Hadouken" does not work as well against Hakuhou as it does on Edmond Honda.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 12, 2021

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Neodoomium posted:

god drat it, wakatakakage

If you ever see me pick him again just avoid the poo poo out of him, every time I pick him he shits the bed entirely

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

just what is shodais deal exactly? He's so frustrating.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Southpaugh posted:

just what is shodais deal exactly? He's so frustrating.

From what I've seen he currently has the natural gifts and the talent to beat literally anyone on any day. However unlike Asanoyama, I don't think he's too in his own head, I just think as part of the Faustian bargain he engaged with he's required to look like absolute poo poo 40% of the time.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Shodai is the only active rikishi Ive seen that could go on an insane run taking two tournaments in a row, getting the rope, and then going 1-14 while completely healthy and be forced to retire in disgrace.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Brut posted:

What you really are looking for is this list of all triple back to back 7-0 scores, this has happened 13 times. If you expand that list to 4 tournaments, you get no results, if Hokuseiho wins 2 more matches he will be the first to accomplish the feat.

I love niche sports feats like that. Kototenzan on that list was John Tenta - also known as Earthquake in the WWF.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

captainblastum posted:

I love niche sports feats like that. Kototenzan on that list was John Tenta - also known as Earthquake in the WWF.

During a joint WWF/SWS show, former Yokozuna Kōji Kitao got booked to lose to Earthquake but threw a shitfit and no sold all his offense because he thought he shouldn't lose to a former rikishi below his rank, even in a fake fight.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Pretty bold for a dude that never won a makuuchi tournament!

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

captainblastum posted:

Pretty bold for a dude that never won a makuuchi tournament!

Oh, Futahaguro!

Which makes this funnier:

Wikipedia posted:

After being shouted at by Tenta and with the crowd chanting Tenta's name, Kitao kicked the referee and was disqualified. Afterwards he picked up a microphone and in a shoot promo announced that wrestling was fake and Tenta could never really beat him, as other Japanese wrestlers attempted to restrain him. Kitao was fired from SWS as a result, while promotion officials were concerned that Kitao might further expose the business to national newspapers.

*Japanese pro wrestling looks at the NSK like 'wtf?'
*NSK shrugs and rolls eyes

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's very impressive to be the indisputable all time worst grand champion in a sport with fairly reliable tournament records going back to the late 18th century.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

This is my first time hearing about this guy and wow, he sucks. He sucks in both the sumo wrestling way (embarrassing yokozuna promotion and subsequent performance) and the being a decent person way (having an explosive argument with his stable master and hitting the stable master's wife on the way out).

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

not to mention working himself into a shoot and almost exposing the business

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Fluffdaddy posted:

not to mention working himself into a shoot and almost exposing the business

Clearly the worst of his crimes.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Dimebags Brain posted:

Clearly the worst of his crimes.
The worst thing is that in promoting Futahaguro before he won a yusho, the Old Men Who Decide Things took a chance on a promising young talent full of potential but not fully proven by the terms of the archaic handbook, and thanks to how that worked out they've spent the next three decades going 'well, won't make that mistake ever again'.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Apraxin posted:

The worst thing is that in promoting Futahaguro before he won a yusho, the Old Men Who Decide Things took a chance on a promising young talent full of potential but not fully proven by the terms of the archaic handbook, and thanks to how that worked out they've spent the next three decades going 'well, won't make that mistake ever again'.

And then pressured Kisenosato.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Apraxin posted:

tbf while they can def be assholes who have way overcompensated in the other direction i really don't think a guy *should* be able to make yokuzuna without ever winning a single yusho

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Futahaguro is hilarious because of how much he obviously sucks on a personal level. I feel like the only comparable true "bad boy" type that made any impact in makuuchi was probably Asashoryu, and he wasn't even close to Futahaguro. It's incredible how many of the top dudes in sumo seem like at least reasonable guys (the meanest seem like Goeido or whatever), and there are plenty of Kaiseis and Chiyomarus and Aminishikis and Kakuryus around who everyone just adores.

Some excellent bouts today. Loved Tobizaru slapping Ichinojo and then getting blasted out of the dohyo, that ruled. Hoshoryu looking stylish as usual. We're starting to get make-koshi in.

Day 9 standings:

code:
33	bartolimu
31.5	Kenning
31	captainblastum
31	Lid
31	Skjorte
30	jmzero
30	whats for dinner
29	Everyones Favorite Poster
29	GoatSeeGuy
29	MyChemicalImbalance
28.5	Dias
28	Beeswax
28	scripterror
27.5	Brut
27	Banana Canada
27	Fluffdaddy
27	ratmosphere
27	Teddybear
27	Tiny Bug Child
26.5	MalarkeyToboggan
26	Pakled
26	Tochiazuma
25.5	Maigius
25.5	pseudodragon
25.5	Scythe
25.5	Vargatron
25	Biosys
25	Ice Phisherman
25	Khizan
25	Marching Powder
24.5	Charles Gnarwin
24.5	Neodoomium
24.5	Thauros
24	anakha
24	Shiroc
23.5	bessantj
23.5	sivad
23	Crusty Nutsack
23	QuasiQuack
22.5	Cage Kicker
22.5	Chinook
22.5	Helianthus Annuus
22.5	Jobbo_Fett
21.5	Liquid Communism
19	Robviously
Juryo

code:
29	TwoWordName
27	KungFu Grip
27	LlamaTrauma
25.5	Bellwether
24	Halloween Jack
24	rare Magic card l00k
23.5	Communist Thoughts
23.5	Netsky
22	Eli949
21.5	Martytoof
20.5	Log082
20.5	NuclearPotato
16.5	ilmucche
14	Foehammer007
12	Glugglugs

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I only ever got to see 4 Kisenosato complete basho but I love the guy. I'll always be sad for the lost potential of if he hadn't gotten hurt or had been able to heal properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
My ongoing run to fantasy juryo is continuing.