Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

the footage i saw of the security was of one of the stewards trying his best to kick peoples legs out from under them as they ran past in a pointless display of impotent violence

then i saw the fans who had got through the barriers come back and return for their unlucky comrades and got them through too, it was pretty heartwarming as long as you pretend the plague isn't happening, which we are as a country anyway

imo if you can get into the finals when your country is playing for free by dodging some rear end in a top hat rentacops thats cool and a good anecdote to tell your kids

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jul 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Communist Thoughts posted:

the footage i saw of the security was of one of the stewards trying his best to kick peoples legs out from under them as they ran past in a pointless display of impotent violence

then i saw the fans who had got through the barriers come back and return for their unlucky comrades and got them through too, it was pretty heartwarming as long as you pretend the plague isn't happening, which we are as a country anyway

imo if you can get into the finals when your country is playing for free by dodging some rear end in a top hat rentacops thats cool and a good anecdote to tell your kids

We have an *incredibly* good reason why large sporting events are ticket-only, and why people aren't supposed to just waltz into the ground.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
On the one hand, covid, on the other, these people willingly volunteered to be parkies for Boris on cup final day.

Different thing BUT

our one in town sits outside the winding wheel with his daisy lanyard and lets all the white men and attractive women right in to be vaccinated and then does this smug sneering “invite text please” to all the BAME, LGBT+ and people with mental disabilities. He even does it now you don’t even need a invite. Nasty fat fucker.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

We have an *incredibly* good reason why large sporting events are ticket-only, and why people aren't supposed to just waltz into the ground.
I did notice after Italy scored the equalizer, a bunch of their fans started charging down the aisles, and the security went absolutely nuts at them.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The issue was that it was the same set of people checking the tickets, and they were so busy double checking people’s apps it allowed groups to push past behind them.

We all knew it would be a clusterfuck of epic proportions, we just didn’t imagine by how much.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

learnincurve posted:

On the one hand, covid, on the other, these people willingly volunteered to be parkies for Boris on cup final day.

What?

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 12, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

bessantj posted:

I see some comedian called Andrew Lawrence has been cancelled by the woke mob for some tweets. "Shame".

https://twitter.com/BeeFriendlyBrum/status/1414556508986167306
Such a shame, I bet his stand up material is hilarious
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mTljyPXVMI

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
lol wait hold on, the security lads were volunteers? Why would you do that to yourself.

bessantj posted:

I see some comedian called Andrew Lawrence has been cancelled by the woke mob for some tweets. "Shame".

https://twitter.com/BeeFriendlyBrum/status/1414556508986167306

lmao that's a 10/10 self-own

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

ThomasPaine posted:

lol wait hold on, the security lads were volunteers? Why would you do that to yourself.

I very much doubt it, stewards are a paid role

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

the violent rear end in a top hat i saw makes a lot more sense, thats why he volunteered

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

ThomasPaine posted:

They thought they would get to see the game for free lol.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Noxville posted:

Stewards at small club grounds may be volunteers, but at Wembley (and other big grounds) they're all just paid security guards.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Noxville posted:

Didn’t have enough of the regular stewards, who were doing the usual things stewards do, so had to bring in those guys who went round checking to make sure pubs weren’t opening up on the sly. Put them on the gates with no training and WELP

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Shielding's is back baby. It's covid again. Awoouu (lung Howl)

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Your dad is still a pushy boomer wanker, fwiw.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

learnincurve posted:

They thought they would get to see the game for free lol.

Volunteers are explicitly told that they won't get free tickets to the games, due to the fact that they'd be working during the matches lol

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

History Comes Inside! posted:

Your dad is still a pushy boomer wanker, fwiw.

:iceberg:

My dad has a subscription to the spectator and a Tory party membership, he’s also a MAGA Qanon climate change denier.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Taken in isolation I can see why people are having a go at the pushy dad but just think about the scenario for a second. Would you really be one of the minority waiting around to sort out your paperwork while dozens of people walk past you into the stadium? If the system has failed are you going to be the good little muppet still waiting around for your special stamp of approval?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Mega Comrade posted:

Those scoundrels, doing their job and trying their best for people to not get sick!

Don't they know they may have inconvenienced someone's dear auld gammon da who couldn't be hosed pulling himself out of the pub more than 5 minutes before kick-off like they were going to watch Brechin City at Glebe Park rather than England at Wembley with 60,000 others.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

If you've pushed through without the necessary checks being done, then they deserved to be dragged out with the rest of the cunts, ticket or no ticket

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

I get real annoyed at the language people use on this kind of thing. 'Vulnerable will have to shield', like gently caress off, no, they can do what they like as long as they understand the risks, stop implying you have the authority to tell people they must do something that only affects them.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

I get real annoyed at the language people use on this kind of thing. 'Vulnerable will have to shield', like gently caress off, no, they can do what they like as long as they understand the risks, stop implying you have the authority to tell people they must do something that only affects them.

Did you actually read the quote?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

ThomasPaine posted:

They will be advised to sheild (not enforced).

I'm sure someone with cystic fybrosis is only too aware of the risks, but without any real safety net it's not like they have any choice over whether or not they stay at home.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ThomasPaine posted:

It's clearly a suggestion of what government policy should be

“And there are unfortunately some people with particular health conditions that mean they just don’t respond to a vaccine, and they are going to have to make sure that they are protected, probably by shielding again, if there is a lot of spread of the virus.”

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

forkboy84 posted:

Don't they know they may have inconvenienced someone's dear auld gammon da who couldn't be hosed pulling himself out of the pub more than 5 minutes before kick-off like they were going to watch Brechin City at Glebe Park rather than England at Wembley with 60,000 others.

Those bourgeoisie stewards on their £9.50 an hour temp job! They just want to put the little guy down.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Looke posted:

If you've pushed through without the necessary checks being done, then they deserved to be dragged out with the rest of the cunts, ticket or no ticket

Ah yes, it's vitally important to respect the authority of G4S security guards, I'm sure they've got everyones best interests in heart, and well appreciate you waiting politely as chaos descends. Maybe you'll get a sticker on your permanent record!

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Ah yes, it's vitally important to respect the authority of G4S security guards, I'm sure they've got everyones best interests in heart, and well appreciate you waiting politely as chaos descends. Maybe you'll get a sticker on your permanent record!

Aye it's important to adhere to the rules that were set out, I'm pretty sure as a condition of getting a ticket

If you willingly force your way through to the stadium without checking like you're supposed to, just because everyone else (who probably didn't have a ticket) has, then you're just as bad

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

keep punching joe posted:

They will be advised to sheild (not enforced).

I'm sure someone with cystic fybrosis is only too aware of the risks, but without any real safety net it's not like they have any choice over whether or not they stay at home.
Good thing the kid working their deliveroo route will be double vaccinated and can afford to take time of if they're ill!

E: The idea of being able to shield at home is meaningless in a country which has removed all safety precautions.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Yeah it’s a strange person who misses the start of a euro final because they wanted to make sure they got their papers checked right when everyone else is just waltzing into the stadium around them

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Mega Comrade posted:

Those bourgeoisie stewards on their £9.50 an hour temp job! They just want to put the little guy down.
Aside from that, this year we've seen that a large enough crowd can "push" their way into the US Congress so this isn't exactly surprising.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Had a walk past the newsagents, and while the media are still racist filth, I'm super glad that all the front pages went for a sad but supportive tone. Don't really want to imagine what might have happened if the tabloids had decided to turn around and stick the boot in today - seriously, when's the last time a national footballer got assassinated?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

This thread continues to deny the man drinking a beer as it passes via 3 butt cracks as The England Fan. Shameful.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
If they were leaning on volunteer untrained stewards it sounds like the whole thing was a giant fuckup on managments part, unsurprisingly. You can hope that people will act decourous and polite, but anyone hosting a major event should be 100% be prepared for that not to be the case and should plan accordingly. Its classic tory bullshit for companies and institutions to dodge their social responsibilities by hand wringing about how things would of worked if people just had stronger moral fiber.

Vagabong fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 12, 2021

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Nonsense posted:

This thread continues to deny the man drinking a beer as it passes via 3 butt cracks as The England Fan. Shameful.

A brave hero, along with the guys who stuck flares up their bums, keyed coke to the cheers of the crowd, and did the willy dance outside pc world

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Looke posted:

Did you actually read the quote?

The discourse around shielding just triggers me bad, tbh

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Jakabite posted:

Yeah it’s a strange person who misses the start of a euro final because they wanted to make sure they got their papers checked right when everyone else is just waltzing into the stadium around them

Aye maybe, but considering it's only been reported that those forcing their way through were unticketed, and for those who had tickets, we're given a specific time to enter the stadium it's not a hard conclusion to reach that the example in the anecdote was either late for their slot or it didn't actually happen?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The police also said no one who got past security made it to the stands. This was very clearly A Lie.

FA have already announced an investigation into how everything went so Pete Tong.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

People who shielded last time will have to shield again, but with even less support this time, because the government's just going to take the brakes off in a week's time.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

learnincurve posted:

My dad was there and he said it was all the fault of “little Hitlers” on security taking ages to check NHS apps and demanding people take covid tests even if they had the all clear letter. He pushed past himself and he had a ticket - because he would have missed the start if he didn’t.

Your dad sounds like a knob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Looke posted:

Aye maybe, but considering it's only been reported that those forcing their way through were unticketed, and for those who had tickets, we're given a specific time to enter the stadium it's not a hard conclusion to reach that the example in the anecdote was either late for their slot or it didn't actually happen?

Or the entry process was genuinely taking too long due to mismanagement? Given it was largely staffed by volunteers this wouldnt be surprising in the least. I very highly doubt curve is lying