Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Eej posted:

Billionaires blowing money on 20s space visits so that other rich people can joyride in space in the near future while the planet boils, people starve and die of treatable diseases isn't exactly a good thing

Like what is the point of manned spaceflight when unmanned probes and rovers do the same poo poo but cheaper

Lmao at the idea of building infrastructure on the moon when lovely infrastructure crushes 100 people in their homes in Miami

Oh well, I guess we better not dream of things then :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
your dream is probably far different than the Elysium dream that the rich have

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I just want a moon base ok

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Oh well, I guess we better not dream of things then :shrug:

Sorry our dreams are relegated to making sure that our grandkids know what sharks are because at this rate their bones will have dissolved in the acidified ocean by the time they're born

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

maffew buildings posted:

your dream is probably far different than the Elysium dream that the rich have

"Space is nice and CLEAN!" :v:

(become collectively sterile and gets cancer on their cancer)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Can I buy a forums chill package that temp bans someone from CSPAM for a few hours and plays hip hop study beats over the forums

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

BIG HEADLINE posted:

There's nothing stopping a gun from shooting in space, but there might be a higher chance of malfunction because of the absence of gravity.

Huh that's pretty loving neat.
I always assumed lack of O2 would be an issue.
But I guess there must be some air sealed in the cartridge for it to still ignite.

I guess Minmitar Eve ships can exist.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sentinel posted:

But I guess there must be some air sealed in the cartridge for it to still ignite.

Gunpowder (black or smokeless) doesn’t react with atmospheric oxygen like a potato gun.

Both of the reactants are present in the powder. They just need a push to set them off.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Ah yeah that makes sense. Figured it would be something along those lines too.

I remember watching Cowboy bebop as a kid and being highly skeptical when they shot guns in space.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Sentinel posted:

The potassium nitrate in gunpowder is the oxidizer.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Monopropellants are cool! They’re basically any substance that is both a fuel and its own oxidizer that deflagrates violently enough to generate thrust. Technically gunpowder isn’t usually described as a monopropellant because it’s not a liquid fuel but functionally it’s akin to one. Most spacecraft monopropellants don’t use flame or heat or shock as a catalyst though because it’s hard to do bursts of thrust like that. You can’t stop a cartridge from going off after half the propellant burns.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Fallom posted:

Can I buy a forums chill package that temp bans someone from CSPAM for a few hours and plays hip hop study beats over the forums

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3730155&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Eej posted:

Sorry our dreams are relegated to making sure that our grandkids know what sharks are because at this rate their bones will have dissolved in the acidified ocean by the time they're born

Your kids are going to have their bones dissolved in the oceans? Or did you mean shark teeth will be dissolved by the ocean so theme all starve to death? Sharks don't have bones to dissolve

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Sharks have survived five mass extinctions over four hundred million years.

We’re loving them up, but its with our fishing nets, not our automobiles.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Stravag posted:

Your kids are going to have their bones dissolved in the oceans? Or did you mean shark teeth will be dissolved by the ocean so theme all starve to death? Sharks don't have bones to dissolve

Shark denticles and teeth are sensitive to increased acidity in the oceans. We know they can survive temporary acidic conditions from normal fluctuations in the ocean but even in laboratory conditions they sustain damage so who knows what happens if they're immersed in a slightly more acidic ocean for their entire lives.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Flikken posted:

Exactly we should be doing this on a national scale with NASA.

Let's swing some aerospace dicks at Russia and China

NASA would be paying them to do it.

Hell, they kind of are...NASA has been paying VG to carry some of their equipment/tests on these flights.

FrozenVent posted:

…because the government completely defunded NASA and forced them to use ULA and SpaceX?

This didn't even happen. NASA's biggest budget cut in the past couple decades came when Obama killed off Bush's big plans. One of Trump's few good things was that NASA's budget increased every year of his administration, and is the highest it's been since the mid 90s.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jul 12, 2021

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Protests and counter-protests have been going on in Cuba today to a greater extent than I've seen reported in the past.
https://twitter.com/CNN_Oppmann/status/1414421692919734274
Hard to get a picture of the actual scope, however, as the rabid elements of the Cuban expat community are flooding social media with such disinformation that if you believed a quarter of it you'd think the government would have fallen by now. Folks reposting old videos of protests and street events in other countries. Lil Marco and others are taking advantage of the protests to grandstand.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Man there are a lot of big brains mad about the US pulling out of Afghanistan.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

orange juche posted:

Man there are a lot of big brains mad about the US pulling out of Afghanistan.
None of the articles I've seen even bother getting a statement from the Afghan government.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I think the Netherlands have one of the highest vaccination rates of Europe, so let's go ahead and do away with mask mandates indoors.
You know what, let's do away with all restrictions entirely.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/at-least-180-infected-after-dutch-disco-despite-showing-covid-19-certificates-1.4611870

quote:

So far 180 people out of roughly 650 who attended a disco in the eastern Dutch city of Enschede have tested positive for Covid-19, despite them having to show a negative test or proof of vaccination on entry.

The number was revised up from 165 on Monday.

The suspected mass spreading event has brought under scrutiny the implementation of the Netherlands’ “test for entry” system and a decision to drop almost all Covid-19 restrictions, as the number of national daily infections reported on Sunday was 145 per cent higher than a week earlier.

Whoopsiedoodles

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Ardlen posted:

None of the articles I've seen even bother getting a statement from the Afghan government.

They're all opinion thinkpieces that probably don't know anyone in the Afghan government to ask, so they don't bother.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I think the Netherlands have one of the highest vaccination rates of Europe, so let's go ahead and do away with mask mandates indoors.
You know what, let's do away with all restrictions entirely.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/at-least-180-infected-after-dutch-disco-despite-showing-covid-19-certificates-1.4611870

Whoopsiedoodles

Is the Netherlands all right?

spankmeister posted:

It wasn't just this particular disco that didn't take it into account, they were following government guidelines. It was straight up government policy to consider people to be "fully" vaccinated immediately after getting your second dose or in the case of J&J the single dose. They did a whole a PR campaign which they called "Dansen met Janssen" (I'm sure you can work the translation). This was specifically aimed at young people to entice them to get the J&J vaccine because it allows you to go out and party immediately. They even had a DJ at the vaccination place.

They have since changed this policy and it's now 2 weeks after, like a sane government would do.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
British soldier doing a training jump in California had partial failure of his parachute and ended up in someone's kitchen. Sorry for the Daily Fail link,

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9779477/British-soldier-smashes-ROOF-lands-kitchen-parachute-fails-open-exercise.html

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Baconroll posted:

British soldier doing a training jump in California had partial failure of his parachute and ended up in someone's kitchen. Sorry for the Daily Fail link,

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9779477/British-soldier-smashes-ROOF-lands-kitchen-parachute-fails-open-exercise.html

Dude only survives because that part of California doesn’t get snow loads and has roofs built appropriately.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Platystemon posted:

Dude only survives because that part of California doesn’t get snow loads and has roofs built appropriately.

Still looks like he was super lucky and bullseye'd landing on the floor instead of breaking his back on the counter right next to him or getting impaled on a chair or something.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Article keeps saying he "cheated death" because his parachute failed, but also says his reserve fully deployed?

Looks like he had full combat equipment and since the ruck is inside the house I'm guessing he rode it in, either because he was following protocol for a tree landing or because he just didn't have time to drop it.

I'm calling clickbait, I think that roof doesn't survive a normally deployed static line chute at least some of the time, and if my memory serves reserves hit a tiny bit faster.

That's just how hard you normally hit the ground.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Not static line- Free Fall.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

bulletsponge13 posted:

Not static line- Free Fall.

The reserve is the same though isn't it?

I know it was supposed to be a free-fall, just saying that if he landed under a fully deployed reserve while riding in combat equipment I wouldn't be surprised by that damage/result.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Not going great for Team Kraken in court today, thought it's just stupid throughout instead of short bursts of weapons-grade stupid:

https://twitter.com/AkivaMCohen/status/1414586818113286144?s=19

Edit: hey Mr. Nice, is it a good idea to WELL, ACTUALLY a judge about this kind of thing? :v:

https://twitter.com/AndrewFeinberg/status/1414592727627468804?s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 12, 2021

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://twitter.com/tomilahren/status/1414438023475998724?s=21

Lol ok

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

So does she know what being "conservative" means or

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Well I guess it was a nice ride on the wingnut welfare gravy train while it lasted. Is this a result of Lahren getting booted and looking to burnish her "I'm not as bad as THOSE guys" credentials or is this the beginning of the end?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

bird food bathtub posted:

Well I guess it was a nice ride on the wingnut welfare gravy train while it lasted. Is this a result of Lahren getting booted and looking to burnish her "I'm not as bad as THOSE guys" credentials or is this the beginning of the end?

Libs and lefties reaction to Caitlyn Jenner getting harassed: you are reaping what you sew.

I think they’re trying to paint that as transphobic so that the libs are REAL intolerant ones.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bird food bathtub posted:

wingnut welfare gravy train

My mind was still on the parachutist, so I read this as “wingsuit welfare gravy train”.

Now I have a new term for YouTuber daredevils.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Platystemon posted:

My mind was still on the parachutist, so I read this as “wingsuit welfare gravy train”.

Now I have a new term for YouTuber daredevils.

Those guys are cool tho

Can we make it a run that grifting has to involve jumping off of something really tall from now on? I'd hate the turtle slightly less if he had skydive into the Capital Building

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

RFC2324 posted:

Those guys are cool tho

Can we make it a run that grifting has to involve jumping off of something really tall from now on? I'd hate the turtle slightly less if he had skydive into the Capital Building

I’m on the fence here.

Remember when trump got covid and we all sat here and hoped for certain outcomes?

I don’t want that hope taken away from me every time turtle‘s chute successfully opens.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Generation Internet posted:

So does she know what being "conservative" means or

"Hey guys she's on our side!"

I feel for Caitlyn and the anti-trans attacks, but she KNOWS what the GOP is, she knows they are pushing hard anti-trans laws, and still choses to side with them. Tomi is fully aware too, I'm sure.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Jarmak posted:

The reserve is the same though isn't it?

I know it was supposed to be a free-fall, just saying that if he landed under a fully deployed reserve while riding in combat equipment I wouldn't be surprised by that damage/result.

Sorry- I misread your post first thing in the morning and did dumb with my comprehension.

You were right.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

facialimpediment posted:

Not going great for Team Kraken in court today, thought it's just stupid throughout instead of short bursts of weapons-grade stupid:

https://twitter.com/AkivaMCohen/status/1414586818113286144?s=19

Edit: hey Mr. Nice, is it a good idea to WELL, ACTUALLY a judge about this kind of thing? :v:

https://twitter.com/AndrewFeinberg/status/1414592727627468804?s=19

The judge is freaking furious, Campbell just asked for a 20 minute break, suspect he's going to take his Kraken clients to the woodshed because they are sinking his case faster than he can argue it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CommieGIR posted:

The judge is freaking furious, Campbell just asked for a 20 minute break, suspect he's going to take his Kraken clients to the woodshed because they are sinking his case faster than he can argue it.

From what I'm gathering, the Kraken idiots are also trying to say NO I DIDN'T LIE, YOU DIDN'T JUDGE THIS ON THE MERITS, I WANT AN EVIDENTIARY HEARING which is... bold to do in a hearing about sanctions.